User Reviews for Parnate

Learn more about Parnate.

Depression 31 reviews 78 medications

9.2
Summary of Parnate reviews 31 reviews 9.2

Reviews for Parnate

For Depression "The best drug for severe depression except you cannot eat cheese or drink red wine. But try TMS which is not a drug and has no side effects or if necessary ECT which is the gold standard and is much different then in "The One Flew Over The days."

Diedreaming (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 25, 2016

For Depression "when nothing else works long term, this is the one. Pain to have to watch what you eat since it's an maoi, but it's better than not having it!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) June 16, 2016

For Depression "I've dealt with major depressive disorder for 22 years and have always had to be on several anti-depressants at one time. They only lessened my symptoms in the best of cases, but did nothing most of the time. I've been on every antidepressant in addition to things like risperdal as an adjunct. I was on 450mg welbutrin, 60mg remeron and 120mg cymbalta concurrently with no effect when I decided to take the MAOI plunge. That was 18 months ago. It's truly amazing to feel normal. I'd forgotten what that felt like. I do have to say the first couple of months were the most brutal med adjustment I've ever been through. Very glad I hung in and didn't give up."

ssrissuck June 12, 2016

For Depression "This is a wonderful medicine despite the MAOI stigma. It truly works!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2016

For Depression "After trying many more modern anti-depressants which I found uncongenial due to primary, or side-effects, I tried Parnate. From the initial dose I felt a lift in my mental state, & although I have had to increase the dosage to maintain this improvement, it is ceratainly worth the diatary restriction hassles. The only bugbear is difficulty in getting to sleep, & having to take sleeping medication to cope, with the unwanted effects that come with using them. Overall though, the Parnate has been most useful."

Jim W. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2016

For Depression "It took a month at 60mg a day to notice a big change. After two months of treatment with parnate I am feeling wonderful! I'm able to go out in public without panic, I'm more social, I'm dating again, and my energy level is up. I've lost over 30 pounds in the first 7 weeks of treatment- which is great for me since other meds I have been on made me gain a lot of weight. This medication is wonderful, but takes time to fully kick in."

Anonymous April 14, 2016

For Depression "This med really kills the depression and anxiety I have had for years. The best advice I can give is if it doesn't seem to be working, try switching to the brand name. Generic versions don't seem to work as well."

Jaypitt91 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2016

For Depression "I have been on 48 different medications, of all the drug classes used for anxiety and depression. I can honestly say, the same day I took this medication at 10mg, I felt calmer. This truly knocks anxiety completely out of the water. My depression is also is total remission. I also am not experiencing any side effects. This is a wonderful medicine, despite the bad reputation they have."

Anonymous March 1, 2016

For Depression "I have found that people around me say that I have improved and seem better yet, inside I still feel like I'm in a deep dark hole. I've only been on 40mg for 3 months however. As for increased sex drive!?! When does that happen? It's killed my sex life. Have lost a lot of weight due to food restrictions, but needed to shed a few kilos. I also find it messes with my bladder. Anyone else have this issue? Some days I can pee no problems, others, it's just painful and I struggle to pass urine even when busting to go! Though after reading others stories, it gives me hope, that this drug, will bring me out of the darkness...... As I'm really over being in here. (I had a nervous breakdown)."

Just someone (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2016

For Depression "I've been taken parnate for 8wks now. It has helped my depression,ptsd tremondsly. I started off at 20mgs, and now im at 30mgs. I follow the strict diet and don't allow myself to have anything with tyramine. (Maybe I'm a little to cautious?) The side effects that I can't stand But I tolerate...are bp drop, dizzy almost fall over,extreme fatique when parnate is supposed to give you energy. I will stay in a place for some time like I have no ambition. I have lost a lot of weight on parnate. That has to be the best side effect! :) Rarely have a appetite, nor do i care to Drink anything half the time. I wish I knew what to do so I don't get those horrible dizzy spells. They happen maybe 5 or more times a day. And I have to hold on to the wall."

Julzmp November 6, 2015

For Depression "Brazileiro'm so my English is bad. I have depression greater than 10 years (I am 47 years old). I would say that in the last two years was in bed 90% of the time without the strength to hold a pen .I only had a bath bath every three months .And when they go me into a psch hospital Dr he explained a lot to me mostly about diet 80%. I talked to my doctor here and started taking it. In the first days started an improvement, today I'm there five months out of bed, I made a website to help people with depression . Mywhole story it almost suicide etc. ). My doctor suggested ESKALITH"

zirgulino (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2015

For Depression "Parnate is the second-greatest thing to ever happen to my brain, second only to ECT. I started it in the hospital. Before Parnate I was spending about 22 hours per day in bed. Now I am in bed just at night. I have started to laugh again. I'm looking for work after being unable to hold down a job for over 2 years. My parents see the improvement too and they are really pleased. Just be careful. Everyone talks about the food interactions, but you also got to be aware of the medication interactions, those can be deadly. I had a hypertensive crisis as a result of a drug interaction that nearly ended things. Before Parnate I would have viewed that as a missed opportunity, but now I want to live again!"

brokenmind (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2015

For Depression "I took Parnate in the hospital. It's the second most wonderful thing to ever have happened to my brain, after ECT. But it tried to kill me. But that was due to a drug interaction. Don't take a high dose of Parnate (60 mg) with more than 150 mg of trazodone. I did. I had two hypertensive crises. My BP was 208/163. It was extremely painful. But I would go back to Parnate in a second, just without the trazodone. Look up the drugs it interacts with before you take something with it. I felt cheerful, I started laughing again for the first time in years. Until the hypertensive stuff happened my team was talking discharge. And I came in very sick. Parnate is great."

pet.mouse July 22, 2015

For Depression "I tried at least 7 or 8 "traditional" antidepressants. They never worked at all. Quite the opposite; I had to take benzo because I became tremendously violent and aggressive. My doctor finally decided that he had no option but to prescribe Parnate, for which you need a special license in my country. What a difference! Finally no depression, no aggression nothing. Just feeling good. I didn´t feel drugged up, just felt like me myself. Wonderful feeling! Yes I do miss cheese sandwiches and I have to take sleeping pills, but it´s so worth it."

AnastasiaM July 20, 2015

For Depression "Have taken parnate for 5 years. Tried 5-10 other medications before trying parnate. Had bad reaction to most of these - worsening depression and anxiety.Currently taking 80 mgs of parnate, which is above the normal therapeutic range. Have a few side effects that still come and go including daytime fatigue/some tachycardia right after dosing. Take 30 mg in the morning, 20mg in the afternoon, and 30mg in the evening. When started taking it had pretty bad orthostatic hypotension for a week or two. Medicine works well. Depression and anxiety have been kept at bay for 5 years. I can enjoy life. Highly recommended"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 19, 2015

For Depression "MAOIs surpass all other groups of contemporary antidepressants in my biased opinion. Unlike other medications , parnate enriched me with clarity and motivation, and just simply made me feel better. You adjust to the effects over time but it still makes me functional where I was once disabled. I owe this venerable chemical my gratitude, despite the one horrific yet transient reaction I've encountered on it."

PrancinPlatypus May 24, 2015

For Depression "Only antidepressant to quell my panic attacks and lessen my emotional reactivity. Only downside is ruined sleep and constant vigilance to prohibited foods and medicines. Also developed a bad sweet tooth. But you will definitely feel much better"

mohonk (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 22, 2014

For Depression "I've spent so many years batting crippling depression, and trying almost every medication on the market. I know the feeling of sleeping for 12 hours and not getting anything accomplished because depression controls everything you do... After trying multiple medications and seeing multiple doctors, I FINALLY found a Psychiatrist that suggested I try an MAOI. Parnate has been a miracle for me. It knocked my depression out of the park! I've been on Parnate for 3 months (with a combination of Lamictal) and my life has completely changed for the better. I feel like the person that I want to be. If you're reading this and suffer from crippling depression, I would highly suggest you talk to a doctor about taking Parnate."

Bill83 October 27, 2014

For Depression "I have been on Parnate for about 3 weeks. Am finding the insomnia really hard, as in the day I can be really tired, like fatigue at times and am unsure whether this is coming from switching medicines. Zoloft to Parnate, or from just the Parnate, and not being able to sleep properly. "

meglardy March 26, 2014

For Depression "Parnate is a great medicine. It will mess with your sleep cycle and cause severe insomnia but other than that it's great. It improves mood, lowers anxiety (not perfectly but enough), improves sex drive, it gives you energy and in my case I welcomed slight weight loss. I've taken up to 40mg day. It's very important to take Parnate either in the morning or at 2pm. If taken in morning may cause drowsiness at ~2pm. TAKE FOOD WARNINGS SERIOUSLY. If I eat the wrong food my blood pressure definitely increases."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2014

For Depression "So far it is much better and with less side effects than Celexa, Pristiq, Wellbutrin, Remeron or Viibryd. Main issue is anxiety and this medicine stops it like nothing else. It is in a whole different class. Still finding out how it is going to work on my "zest for life" and other symptoms of depression. Still a long way to go."

Jake2000 July 11, 2013

For Depression "Been on Parnate (tranylcypromine) for about 17 years. Like many others felt like a guinea pig when I was first diagnosed. Went through about a dozen different psychiatrists. They all just tried different meds trying to find one that would work. I or anyone else could have done that. One convinced me to have ECT which I did against my better judgement. It was a nightmare of torture! After the first two I lost all sense of time as well as my memory. I had 14 ECT treatments and was nothing more than a zombie! To get it to stop I said I wasn't depressed any more. Finally found a Dr. that used Parnate."

Lost years (taken for 10 years or more) February 2, 2013

For Depression "I have been on Parnate for 1 year now. I have been on many other antidepressants. Parnate has certainly worked for me. There are still some days that I feel just a little down but nothing compared to the major depression I had suffered. Before my doctor Put me on Parnate I had been hospitalized and underwent ECTS successfully. Now I feel good finally. I do have to watch the foods because I hyperventilate and also severe diarrhea. Plus I am on 50mg of Seroquel in the morning and 100mg in the evening. Parnate is 10 mg x a day, which is low compared to some people. "

debi2453 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 20, 2012

For Depression "5 years on Parnate. Have tried numerous antidepressants and Psycho Drugs, this is only one that has worked. Also take 2 mg/day Suboxone it helps some how."

Johnny Kasp (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 15, 2012

For Depression "It may include some side effects, I used and I prefer Parnate with some side effects vs depression that's my experience."

Orkideh November 9, 2012