User Reviews for Parnate

Depression
8.9

Summary of Parnate reviews 8.9 56 reviews

Reviews for Parnate

For Depression "This medicine must be made available in countries like India. Here they just don't manufacture or import it because doctors don't even consider prescribing it due to their bias against it ( created by mass propaganda by companies marketing useless SSRIs, and anti-psychotics ( read depression inducers)) . I have to import it from Canada has closed down and I shudder at the thought of this medicine being unavailable altogether in future."

Tandava (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2018

For Depression "Parnate is the only antidepressant worth taking. "

Greg (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 3, 2018

For Depression "Started out great lots more energy very upbeat then at around week 3 after upping the dose to 60mg day I went downhill couldn't get out of bed extremely low mood back to square 1 had high hopes for this med was very positive to be starting it I'm so disappointed now ."

Downer1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

For Depression "I have kind of atypical depression This drug is the ONLY true antidepressant in the market , I have tried nearly most of ADs even the Nardil didn't work for me. Parnate works fast and and keep working as long you take it on the right dose and time , I can just stop and back on this drug smoothly without side effects ( maybe just some sleepiness after taking the pills ) it may change your life . The only bad thing about parnate that its expensive ( 2 bottles) . Food interactions are joke for me , I can eat whatever without problem, but everyone is different so follow your doctors instructions ."

d (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

For Depression "Parnate was a miracle for me. I’d tried a few SSRI’s And experienced some torturous side effects, plus having to wait 6 weeks every time to see if they worked...3 days on 10 mg of parnate and I felt alive again. My body buzzed and for about a day I felt ecstatic. The dietary restrictions aren’t a problem since I’m vegan, just have to curtail the avocado lust. I did recently discover that the tablets contain gelatine however, so now I’m looking for another MAOI. It’s not the solution to all my problems, and I still need exercise, healthy eating, journaling and time in nature to avoid feeling down/anxious, but it certainly has helped more than any of the other stuff for my mood and depression. It’s a little tricky to get it prescribed in Australia, shrinks are overly cautious about the potential interactions."

Ace (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 24, 2018

For Depression "Parnate is my favorite antidepressant. It took me from suicidal to happy in less than 48 hours."

cloudy (taken for 10 years or more) May 22, 2018

For Depression "MAOI medication is the only type of anti-depressant which works for me. Both phenelzine and parnate have been miracle drugs for me. I was on phenelzine for 24 years and then it stopped working. I then switched to parnate. They do not cure depression, but totally change your life so that you can function and feel happy again. No other type of anti depressant has worked for me and I have tried a few. I have depression with anxiety, sometimes diagnosed as atypical depression also."

Ava (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 3, 2018

For Depression "I am asking you to go out on a limb, and trust a complete stranger, me. Parnate works for everyone, if it isn't working, you are: 1: taking the Parnate from Par Pharmaceuticals, it doesn't work long term. The parnate you want to buy is put out by Activas Danbury, make sure the active ingredient is made in Italy, it will say on your prescription sheet. Walmart usually is willing to order it for you. 2: you are not taking enough. The theraputic dose is starts at 30mgs, most people need 50 or 60mgs."

cobby5 (taken for 10 years or more) February 21, 2018

For Depression "After failing to get any improvement with a whole range of antidepressants (incl. TCAs and wellbutrin), I was very much looking forward to starting on Parnate. Alas, unlike other pills, that had literally zero effect, this one added some negative side effects: heartaches, high BP, tense feeling in the chest, and even a visit to a hospital after I fainted (luckily nothing life-threatening). I envy people whose condition improved though. Also not sure what to do next, as this is literally the last-ditch measure, and ketamine in my country is administered only to hospital inpatients."

alex_t (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2017

For Depression "This is one of the few drugs that actually work for me. If you're attentive it's unlikely you'll run into trouble. If it improves life, it's worth it. We get into 2-ton things of steel and drive them around on the freeway super fast every day. Much riskier than taking parnate. I got off for a while and friends and family all insisted I stop trying new meds and remain on parnate for good. No side effects. Easy to quit for a minute when dental work and surgeries come up. Some times it feels like the market buries the best meds for some reason. Weird."

Hennessy Myre (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 5, 2017

For Depression "A miracle drug for my depression!!!"

maiiia September 14, 2017

For Depression "After only a few days on Parnate, my mood declined, my sex drive totally disappeared, I lost my appetite completely, and I could only sleep 4-5 hours a night. Then my blood pressure dropped and I wasn't able to stand much. I had heart palpitations after taking it. My mood was so dark, and my body so weak, that all I did I was lie in bed for 10 days. I already have problems getting out of bed but this made it feel impossible to move. It was absolutely miserable. I had to stop taking Parnate because it made me SO MUCH worse and I couldn't work, eat, sleep, laugh, nothing. The reviews on here are not a balanced representation of this drug. (I have bipolar 2 depression, social anxiety, GAD, ADHD)"

parnatefailed (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2017

For Depression "By far the most effective med ! Start at least on 30mg a day, only side effect insomnia but has gotten better ! Been on it for 4 weeks . Combined with 40mcg of t3 (Thyroid med) as mood stabilizer. Helped so much with motivation and energy."

Depression sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2017

For Depression "I have started this and been on it for about 3 weeks. I was originally on 30mg/day, and it has helped me so much. The only side effect I had to deal with was the upset stomach. It has helped me concentrate more on my homework, assisted me getting a new job, and just keeping myself busy. I do hate that it only stays in effect for a couple of hours, but thats usually all I need. One thing you will have to be careful of is what you eat and how you work out. I had stopped eating chocolate, and cheeses specifically due to the high tyramine level. Also, when working out I try to take the parnate after I am done working out so it doesn't effect my blood pressure."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

For Depression "I too, had tried all the tricyclic's, SSRI's and SNRI's along with helper drugs for anxiety and insomnia. I went on Parnate 4 years ago and it's the ONLY drug that has consistently worked at keeping my depression in check. After a depressive episode that almost killed me, the decision was made to try it. There is no "poop out". The MAOI diet everyone one freaks out over is NOT that bad - just be mindful of what you eat. Following instructions for safe use of this drug is nothing compared to the relief of clinical depression!"

Whisker72 May 2, 2017

For Depression "I have tried all the atypicals, tryciclics, SSRI's, SNRI's, and anything else they threw at me. The ONLY DRUG that helped was Parnate. The Walgreen's sheet said it would kick in within 1-24 hours. After the first pill I thought my mind had snapped. The abrupt cessation of all pain was so intense I was stunned. It has been ten years and I am still in love with this drug."

Wordcrafter April 1, 2017

For Depression "Most stable I've been in years, seem to be more in the moment, a bit more confident with people, less nervous, no feelings of depression, don't really worry so much about anything. I'm getting positive feedback from people. Not full of energy but I'm wondering whether the emotional stability I now have will facilitate my projects, I'm more consistent, perhaps likely to get waylaid by instability. It would seem that it'd be a silly idea to go off parnate. The food restrictions are irrelevant for me, why would anybody who values their body and life eat pizza and cured meats ? I'm feeling stronger, more clear about life - and how short it is. I take 40mg per day"

Jmac1 January 23, 2017

"I wish they would do research into why this drug works so well. It should not be 5th line treatment as it is a very potent anti-anxiety medication that works in days not weeks. It did however, totally mess with my sleep cycle. I'm sleepy at 1PM and I don't sleep well at night (The drug makes me restless). This is the only Anti-Depressant that has helped my anxiety. I did have one bad reaction from eating slightly off chicken (Panic attack/Heart pounding). I take 30mgs daily. Important to spread dose over the day to avoid the peaks and troughs of energy levels (It seems most effective when taken all at once though)."

Robert19 November 30, 2016

For Depression "No SSRI or SNRI works. Parnate works. Food restrictions caused no problems at all. Completely obliterated negative thinking and bad feeling. To me, it's a miracle drug. I was careful not to take other heavy duty drugs at the same time. This med probably saved my life. It should be used much more frequently."

AndrewKevin November 17, 2016

For Depression "I have literally been on almost everything including a VNS stimulator. I had 3 near fatal suicide attempts that put me on life support. I was even involuntarily committed to the state hospital. I have PTSD, MDD, Intermittent Explosive Disorder, and brain injury. Parnate is the only drug that has EVER helped. All of my friends and family say there is a profound difference from just this one medication than any absurd cocktail. It even helps with my lethargy, memory impairment, and concentration. I had no problems but the reluctance of my doctor who panicked and took me off of it despite my obvious improvement. Now I got it back! It is AMAZING and tragically under-utilized. Insist on it before agreeing to VNS or ECT."

Almost a cure! (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 21, 2016

For Depression "I have been taking 20mg of Parnate every day for a little over a month now after finally convincing my Psychiatrist to prescribe it. I really can't say how effective it has been in terms of alleviating the symptoms of my depression. Diet restrictions have not really bothered me at all . No real physical side effects apart from extreme sun sensitivity. This REALLY bothers me because I'm extremely fair skinned and burn so easily - frequent, and I mean FREQUENT reapplications of sunscreen and sun avoidance are a must for me. Parnate has also decreased the effectiveness of benzodiazepines such as valium and imovane. This has been really frustrating because I also suffer from anxiety and insomnia."

Delazeur (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2016

For Depression "Have been on parnate for over 20 years, use with Trazadone, and I take 40 mg parnate, divided does and 250mg trazadone at HS. I had ect treatments 20 years ago, but had battled major depression since high school. I do believe the parnat has kept me on even keel for many years. I have found with the list of everything else you can not take with it Nutrasweet threw me into a hypertensive crisis..so heads up with that. Other wise, have never had any side effects with parnate"

emg60 September 12, 2016

For Depression "Awful anxiety and depression. 25 years. Can't count the "new and (therefore) better" SSRI drugs I tried. On Parnate, I noticed a tremendous improvement in 2 to 3 weeks. And it kept getting better! Depression and anxiety wiped away, not embarrassed to be myself anymore, social, enjoying life! Dietary restrictions are so miniscule as to be laughable. And no red wine? Chocolate? Hah! 90% of the things they tell you not to eat are bogus or unproblematic nowadays. SSRIs CAN'T RAISE SEROTONIN LEVELS anywhere near what an MAOI is capable of. And the Dopamine increase may be what has helped my energy and joy for life again. Severe and treatment resistant? Google Ken Gillman and start living."

A New Life! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 8, 2016

For Depression "Parnate is the bomb. After trying all the ssri nothing worked. Put me on parnate built a million dollar company got married and now have 4 children. Love it!!"

Imd12c September 2, 2016

For Depression "Everyone responds differently to medications, and no two people are alike - so I kind of find these forums as being useless (if not borderline ridiculous). But just to share my experience...I have MDD (treatment resistant) along with Complex PTSD. I have tried every medication under the sun (over 90 different meds) before finally being introduced to Parnate in March of 2016. I was initially started at 10mg and eventually moved up to 60mg within 3-4 months. It seemed to be somewhat helpful for my depressive symptoms yet it created so many other horrific side effects along with it, that life is now worse than ever. Never have I been on a med with so many unwanted side effects. I'd rather be severely depressed any day of the week."

Halo242 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 28, 2016