Tranylcypromine use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Tranylcypromine: Parnate
Tranylcypromine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Because little information is available on the use of tranylcypromine during breastfeeding, an alternate drug may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
A woman with severe depression took tranylcypromine 100 to 120 mg daily, as well as pimozide, diazepam and alprazolam during pregnancy and postpartum. She breastfed her infant until about 2 weeks postpartum when the infant developed abdominal distension and feeding intolerance. The symptoms resolved on discontinuation of breastfeeding.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Nine subjects were treated with an average dose of 29 mg daily (range10 to 40 mg) of oral tranylcypromine day for an average of 16 days. Serum prolactin levels increased by 3 mcg/L.The clinical relevance of these findings in nursing mothers is not known. The prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Kennedy D, Webster WS, Hill M et al. Abnormal pregnancy outcome associated with high-dose maternal tranylcypromine therapy: Case report and literature review. Reprod Toxicol. 2017;69:146-9. PMID: 28237611
2. Price LH, Charney DS, Heninger GR. Effects of tranylcypromine treatment on neuroendocrine, behavioral, and autonomic responses to tryptophan in depressed patients. Life Sci. 1985;37:809-18. PMID: 4033356
CAS Registry Number
Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about tranylcypromine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 54 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: monoamine oxidase inhibitors
Other brands: Parnate