User Reviews for Tranylcypromine to treat Depression

Also known as: Parnate

Tranylcypromine has an average rating of 8.5 out of 10 from a total of 94 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 84% of those users who reviewed Tranylcypromine reported a positive effect, while 9% reported a negative effect.

Tranylcypromine Rating Summary

8.5/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Tranylcypromine

Sabaka · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 6, 2021

“MAOIs saved my life. After a protracted depression of intense unrelieved psychic pain, I woke up one morning feeling a weight had been lifted. It is borderline malpractice that doctors will not even consider a drug that is considerably more effective than other class of drugs. There are people suffering unnecessarily. The food restrictions are eminently manageable. Talk to your dollar about MAOI.”

alan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 27, 2021

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I have tried all the SSRI's and the other stuff and they only made my social anxiety symptoms worse. Parnate worked like magic! It's just terrible that doctors 60 and younger are taught false stuff about this wonderful drug such that they are afraid to prescribe it! I've taken it for 7 months with zero side effects and it is so wonderful now to be in the world without those crippling social anxieties!”

Rosey January 6, 2021

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “Parnate was great for depression but it didn’t really help with anxiety at all. Coming off it has been a nightmare! Going to try Nardil next if I can track supply down”

Lisa July 16, 2019

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I have been on Parnate for 21 years and still going strong. I had severe treatment resistant atypical depression for three years. Over that time they put me on 10 different antidepressants in various combinations and nothing worked. I did my own research and made my psychiatrist put me on it. Within a week I was fine. I would without a doubt be dead without Parnate. I regularly eat aged cheese and cured meats etc and have never had any food reaction. However, if I drink beer or red wine I do have a minor reaction - sounds weird but I grind my teeth and can just tell it’s reacting with the Parnate. Side effects are very minimal - dry mouth; bit of agitation etc (though that could be from my anxiety issues - which are also significantly reduced on the Parnate). The agitation was worse when I was on 60mg, but now I’m down to 30mg it’s fine. I have tried going off it to see what happened and the depression came back with a vengeance within a few days!”

camarchie · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 1, 2020

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I've had dysthymia and episodes of acute double depression (atypical) with anxiety forever but depression for 6 years. Been on Zoloft, Pristiq, Effexor, Brintellix, Prozac, moclobemide bupropion etc. Finally psychiatrist put me on Parnate and it's been amazing really whilst still having some residual symptoms it's almost reset my brain back to how it was before I was depressed. I pay no attention to my diet though I don't drink and I'm not into aged cheeses or meats really but have had them inadvertently without noticing never an issue. Slight increase in appetite but easily mitigated by just walking more and driving less. It's worth a shot for treatment resistant types without doubt. Have seen a friend who was on 600mg Pristiq having crying spells completely transform within 2 weeks of Parnate.”

Dog Friend January 16, 2020

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I have taken Parnate for 30+ years. Have low-grade chronic depression. Any time I weaned off Parnate, gained huge weight due to out-of-control appetite as well as lethargy & irritability that makes it impossible to function. Tried 15 other anti-depressants (because of severe hypertensive crises): all failed over time; Parnate is only medication that works. I would like not to take ANY meds, I would like to be able to eat aged cheese, or avocados, have a glass of good wine, eat in a restaurant without having to do major detective work and scare the staff, but those things are not possible. Parnate is like insulin for a diabetic: it is life-preserving. Side effects you HAVE to deal with. I ended up in emergency twice as a result of tyramine (misled by restaurant staff). Insomnia: I take last dose no later than 2 pm, no caffeine after morning, & when necessary, Imovane to help sleep. Loss of libido & difficulty/inability to achieve orgasm are HUGE trade-offs, but in my case they are trade-offs for life.”

Rusty · Taken for 10 years or more October 28, 2020

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “Parnate like Nardil is a life changing MAOI medication for many people which after cruelly having it withdrawn from manufacture late in 2019 I recently stumbled across the fact that at least Parnate is available again available from the UK for use Australia. In my opinion MAOI drugs are far superior to all the SSRI , SNRI and TCA medications out there as I have tried them all and endured their nasty side effects . For people taking Parnate and adhering to the outdated diet restrictions I would advise you all that there is a readily available Pub Med .Gov MAOI User Friendly Diet which is an up to date researched publication for a simple diet with minimal restrictions .”

lorafter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 13, 2019

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I am 49 years old. I have bipolar II, ADD, fibromyalgia, social anxiety, and almost three years of Agoraphobia. I started Parnate January 10, 2019. I also take Temazepam for sleep. Anxious for relief, I increased dose too fast, and as a result (I believe), on day 7, I had a Hypertensive crisis. I did not go to hospital or disclose to doctor. I would rather die than be taken off Parnate without giving it a chance. On day 9, I felt great! Lots of energy, motivation and felt happy. I was able to go on errands, visit family, talk on the phone (big phobia). Despite the occasional cycling, Parnate saved my life and has given me some hope. I know I need to add a mood stabilizer, but I am afraid of messing with something that's "good enough". I am lucky that the food restrictions are unnecessary for me. I also went back on Adderall, despite the warnings, 40 mg per day, which has helped a lot. My BP is normal. Check out research by Dr. Ken Gillman ”

Angie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2020

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I'm a 56 year old female who has struggled with treatment resistant depression for 20 years. In that time, I've been prescribed 25 different meds which were ineffective. Last month, out of desperation I asked my Dr to prescribe parnate. That was last month. I haven't experienced one negative side effect and feel better than I have in 20 years. It's literally saving my life.”

A New Life! · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 8, 2016

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “Awful anxiety and depression. 25 years. Can't count the "new and (therefore) better" SSRI drugs I tried. On Parnate, I noticed a tremendous improvement in 2 to 3 weeks. And it kept getting better! Depression and anxiety wiped away, not embarrassed to be myself anymore, social, enjoying life! Dietary restrictions are so miniscule as to be laughable. And no red wine? Chocolate? Hah! 90% of the things they tell you not to eat are bogus or unproblematic nowadays. SSRIs CAN'T RAISE SEROTONIN LEVELS anywhere near what an MAOI is capable of. And the Dopamine increase may be what has helped my energy and joy for life again. Severe and treatment resistant? Google Ken Gillman and start living.”

cobby5 · Taken for 10 years or more February 21, 2018

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I am asking you to go out on a limb, and trust a complete stranger, me. Parnate works for everyone, if it isn't working, you are: 1: taking the Parnate from Par Pharmaceuticals, it doesn't work long term. The parnate you want to buy is put out by Activas Danbury, make sure the active ingredient is made in Italy, it will say on your prescription sheet. Walmart usually is willing to order it for you. 2: you are not taking enough. The theraputic dose is starts at 30mgs, most people need 50 or 60mgs.”

Wordcrafter April 1, 2017

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I have tried all the atypicals, tryciclics, SSRI's, SNRI's, and anything else they threw at me. The ONLY DRUG that helped was Parnate. The Walgreen's sheet said it would kick in within 1-24 hours. After the first pill I thought my mind had snapped. The abrupt cessation of all pain was so intense I was stunned. It has been ten years and I am still in love with this drug.”

ssrissuck June 12, 2016

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I've dealt with major depressive disorder for 22 years and have always had to be on several anti-depressants at one time. They only lessened my symptoms in the best of cases, but did nothing most of the time. I've been on every antidepressant in addition to things like risperdal as an adjunct. I was on 450mg welbutrin, 60mg remeron and 120mg cymbalta concurrently with no effect when I decided to take the MAOI plunge. That was 18 months ago. It's truly amazing to feel normal. I'd forgotten what that felt like. I do have to say the first couple of months were the most brutal med adjustment I've ever been through. Very glad I hung in and didn't give up.”

Almost a cure! · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 21, 2016

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I have literally been on almost everything including a VNS stimulator. I had 3 near fatal suicide attempts that put me on life support. I was even involuntarily committed to the state hospital. I have PTSD, MDD, Intermittent Explosive Disorder, and brain injury. Parnate is the only drug that has EVER helped. All of my friends and family say there is a profound difference from just this one medication than any absurd cocktail. It even helps with my lethargy, memory impairment, and concentration. I had no problems but the reluctance of my doctor who panicked and took me off of it despite my obvious improvement. Now I got it back! It is AMAZING and tragically under-utilized. Insist on it before agreeing to VNS or ECT.”

AndrewKevin November 17, 2016

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “No SSRI or SNRI works. Parnate works. Food restrictions caused no problems at all. Completely obliterated negative thinking and bad feeling. To me, it's a miracle drug. I was careful not to take other heavy duty drugs at the same time. This med probably saved my life. It should be used much more frequently.”

MARGARET STIFFLER June 3, 2008

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “Even though there are many food restrictions, food I dearly love and miss, Parnate has given me my life back. I have been suffering from anxiety and depression all my life and this is the first drug that has actually helped. Thank you for giving me life again.”

dordeduh · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 16, 2019

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “The grandaddy of antidepressants. The first couple months or so on Parnate will be a little rough since it tends to sedate you during the day and keep you up at night but this effect usually diminishes with time. As echoed by people here, the diet is pretty overstated. There are very few foods that will actually cause a hypertensive crisis. You will be fine as long as you don't binge on fancy cheeses, cured meats or eat spoiled food. Not a lot of docs know this but you can also combine it with TCAs and stimulants if it doesn't completely resolve your depression on its own. Probably the best option you have for hard-to-treat depression at the moment.”

Whisker72 May 2, 2017

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I too, had tried all the tricyclic's, SSRI's and SNRI's along with helper drugs for anxiety and insomnia. I went on Parnate 4 years ago and it's the ONLY drug that has consistently worked at keeping my depression in check. After a depressive episode that almost killed me, the decision was made to try it. There is no "poop out". The MAOI diet everyone one freaks out over is NOT that bad - just be mindful of what you eat. Following instructions for safe use of this drug is nothing compared to the relief of clinical depression!”

ShivaReIncarnated · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 30, 2020

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “This is an old drug and by far the best. May be the only one that works. I had tried all kinds of ADs before being prescribed this. SSRIs were the worst. The other AD only induced some placebo effect for a few days and then make you more numb , more apathetic & de-motivated. Earlier I used to import this from Canada as it was unavailable in India. Thanks Heavens...now a generic is also available in India. However it is unfortunate that most doctors don't even think of prescribing this and some of them don't even know that it exists. Side effects are minimal and the so called food restrictions are highly exaggerated. This drug gave me a life.”

Finally · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2019

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “Like almost all of you guys, I spent years with another inumerous antidepressants without result. After asking my doctor for months to put me on parnate, finally he agreed, and started with 20 mg, that seemed to have no effect. After two months taking parnate and on a dosage of 60mg, finally I fell my old self, happy, talkative, without any anxiety (I had generalized and social). I just fell like a normal person, with all my cognitive potential. Thanks.”

Anonymous March 1, 2016

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I have been on 48 different medications, of all the drug classes used for anxiety and depression. I can honestly say, the same day I took this medication at 10mg, I felt calmer. This truly knocks anxiety completely out of the water. My depression is also is total remission. I also am not experiencing any side effects. This is a wonderful medicine, despite the bad reputation they have.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month May 28, 2020

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I have been on countless drugs over the past 12 years and after attempting suicide in February and then being hospitalized for 5 weeks and then another 4 weeks recently my psychiatrist started me on Parnate a week ago. I am in awe of the change in my mood. I've been discharged from hospital and have no thoughts of suicide or self harm. I am hoping with everything in me that this is going to be the change I need.”

brokenmind · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2015

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “Parnate is the second-greatest thing to ever happen to my brain, second only to ECT. I started it in the hospital. Before Parnate I was spending about 22 hours per day in bed. Now I am in bed just at night. I have started to laugh again. I'm looking for work after being unable to hold down a job for over 2 years. My parents see the improvement too and they are really pleased. Just be careful. Everyone talks about the food interactions, but you also got to be aware of the medication interactions, those can be deadly. I had a hypertensive crisis as a result of a drug interaction that nearly ended things. Before Parnate I would have viewed that as a missed opportunity, but now I want to live again!”

usernamena · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 31, 2016

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I have tried many medications for major depressive disorder, SSRIs, TCAs, as well as cognitive behavioral therapy. All of which helped to some degree, but I was never quite functioning as well as I would have hoped. Depression was ruining my life and I was becoming very discouraged and disappointed because I had tried so many medications and other treatments, suicide was a thought I had every hour of every day. Now, every single day I am thankful I found Parnate. I get a little dizziness, some dry mouth, and some loud heartbeats, but that is an insignificant cost to pay to have the will to live back once again. If you are struggling with depression after trying many treatments, please ask your doctor about an MAOI. Best of luck!”

Anonymous April 14, 2016

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “It took a month at 60mg a day to notice a big change. After two months of treatment with parnate I am feeling wonderful! I'm able to go out in public without panic, I'm more social, I'm dating again, and my energy level is up. I've lost over 30 pounds in the first 7 weeks of treatment- which is great for me since other meds I have been on made me gain a lot of weight. This medication is wonderful, but takes time to fully kick in.”

Bill83 October 27, 2014

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I've spent so many years batting crippling depression, and trying almost every medication on the market. I know the feeling of sleeping for 12 hours and not getting anything accomplished because depression controls everything you do... After trying multiple medications and seeing multiple doctors, I FINALLY found a Psychiatrist that suggested I try an MAOI. Parnate has been a miracle for me. It knocked my depression out of the park! I've been on Parnate for 3 months (with a combination of Lamictal) and my life has completely changed for the better. I feel like the person that I want to be. If you're reading this and suffer from crippling depression, I would highly suggest you talk to a doctor about taking Parnate.”

Jmac1 January 23, 2017

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “Most stable I've been in years, seem to be more in the moment, a bit more confident with people, less nervous, no feelings of depression, don't really worry so much about anything. I'm getting positive feedback from people. Not full of energy but I'm wondering whether the emotional stability I now have will facilitate my projects, I'm more consistent, perhaps likely to get waylaid by instability. It would seem that it'd be a silly idea to go off parnate. The food restrictions are irrelevant for me, why would anybody who values their body and life eat pizza and cured meats ? I'm feeling stronger, more clear about life - and how short it is. I take 40mg per day”

Debbic · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2019

Parnate (tranylcypromine): “I took Effexor for a long time. It was a miracle drug, until it stopped working and I was more depressed than I had ever been before. The psychiatrist I went to see put me on Parnate. It is a relief from the depression. It does work and like other people I have not had a problem with food. My blood pressure was low after taking Parnate so I tried some foods - cheese in particular and I have had no problem with the diet the problem is insomnia. I rarely get more than two or three hours sleep and that affects everything in my life. Even though I don’t sleep some days I have lots of energy; other days I am temperamental because of the lack of sleep. I hope I can find a psychiatrist soon who will prescribe something so I can sleep. The county I just moved to has one psychiatrist that accepts Medicare but is not taking new patients. I get a 3 month prescription which is equivalent to half the price of one month - but it has gone up every time I refill.”