User Reviews for Tranylcypromine

Also known as: Parnate

Learn more about Tranylcypromine.

Depression 51 reviews 79 medications

8.7
Summary of Tranylcypromine reviews 51 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Tranylcypromine

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "By far the most effective med ! Start at least on 30mg a day, only side effect insomnia but has gotten better ! Been on it for 4 weeks . Combined with 40mcg of t3 (Thyroid med) as mood stabilizer. Helped so much with motivation and energy."

Depression sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "I have started this and been on it for about 3 weeks. I was originally on 30mg/day, and it has helped me so much. The only side effect I had to deal with was the upset stomach. It has helped me concentrate more on my homework, assisted me getting a new job, and just keeping myself busy. I do hate that it only stays in effect for a couple of hours, but thats usually all I need. One thing you will have to be careful of is what you eat and how you work out. I had stopped eating chocolate, and cheeses specifically due to the high tyramine level. Also, when working out I try to take the parnate after I am done working out so it doesn't effect my blood pressure."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "I too, had tried all the tricyclic's, SSRI's and SNRI's along with helper drugs for anxiety and insomnia. I went on Parnate 4 years ago and it's the ONLY drug that has consistently worked at keeping my depression in check. After a depressive episode that almost killed me, the decision was made to try it. There is no "poop out". The MAOI diet everyone one freaks out over is NOT that bad - just be mindful of what you eat. Following instructions for safe use of this drug is nothing compared to the relief of clinical depression!"

Whisker72 May 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "I have tried all the atypicals, tryciclics, SSRI's, SNRI's, and anything else they threw at me. The ONLY DRUG that helped was Parnate. The Walgreen's sheet said it would kick in within 1-24 hours. After the first pill I thought my mind had snapped. The abrupt cessation of all pain was so intense I was stunned. It has been ten years and I am still in love with this drug."

Wordcrafter April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "This worked really well for me for depression but I also have ADHD and had to stop Adderall​. I actually got low blood pressure from this with headaches and what made it normal was eating cheese and taking Adderall. Would still be taking it if I could get prescribed Adderall at the same time."

danjsul (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "My experience of tranylcypromine [Parnate] was very positive from the beginning. The first time I was administered 20mg I felt suddenly much better than I had for weeks. I wanted to go outside and 'see the world'. So far so good. Now comes the Kick In The Head. In the UK 30mg is the highest that they can prescribe. However I tried up to 60mg and it has been beneficial and I have come across blogs and psychiatric accounts on the web that suggest that this dose is ok in the USA That would never happen here in the UK. The guidelines stop at 30mg per day which is unacceptable in the UK especially since the price was increased to £25.00 per 28 tablets. I have had pressure applied from my GP to stop using this drug."

Eulipia February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Not long on it"

bqwefp0uhc January 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "Most stable I've been in years, seem to be more in the moment, a bit more confident with people, less nervous, no feelings of depression, don't really worry so much about anything. I'm getting positive feedback from people. Not full of energy but I'm wondering whether the emotional stability I now have will facilitate my projects, I'm more consistent, perhaps likely to get waylaid by instability. It would seem that it'd be a silly idea to go off parnate. The food restrictions are irrelevant for me, why would anybody who values their body and life eat pizza and cured meats ? I'm feeling stronger, more clear about life - and how short it is. I take 40mg per day"

Jmac1 January 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for : "I wish they would do research into why this drug works so well. It should not be 5th line treatment as it is a very potent anti-anxiety medication that works in days not weeks. It did however, totally mess with my sleep cycle. I'm sleepy at 1PM and I don't sleep well at night (The drug makes me restless). This is the only Anti-Depressant that has helped my anxiety. I did have one bad reaction from eating slightly off chicken (Panic attack/Heart pounding). I take 30mgs daily. Important to spread dose over the day to avoid the peaks and troughs of energy levels (It seems most effective when taken all at once though)."

Robert19 November 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "No SSRI or SNRI works. Parnate works. Food restrictions caused no problems at all. Completely obliterated negative thinking and bad feeling. To me, it's a miracle drug. I was careful not to take other heavy duty drugs at the same time. This med probably saved my life. It should be used much more frequently."

AndrewKevin November 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Parnate in my experience has been the most effective AD for anxiety. For me none of the SSRIs/SNRIs worked. I've taken 30-40mgs for ~ 2 years on and off. It's not perfect. It has it's issues. That said it actually helps with anxiety which is A . Caused no weight-gain, no sexual issues. Side effects were: Red eyes, not really being able to tolerate much alcohol, feeling a little 'weird'. Only thing to note is drug interactions. I stuipdly took ecstasy while on this which was a very fast way to a blackout, seizure and ambulance bill. Do not take anything that will affect Serotonin at the same time as this medication. Drug interactions are very serious. That said food reactions imo are exaggerated."

Ash10105 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "I have literally been on almost everything including a VNS stimulator. I had 3 near fatal suicide attempts that put me on life support. I was even involuntarily committed to the state hospital. I have PTSD, MDD, Intermittent Explosive Disorder, and brain injury. Parnate is the only drug that has EVER helped. All of my friends and family say there is a profound difference from just this one medication than any absurd cocktail. It even helps with my lethargy, memory impairment, and concentration. I had no problems but the reluctance of my doctor who panicked and took me off of it despite my obvious improvement. Now I got it back! It is AMAZING and tragically under-utilized. Insist on it before agreeing to VNS or ECT."

Almost a cure! (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "I have been taking 20mg of Parnate every day for a little over a month now after finally convincing my Psychiatrist to prescribe it. I really can't say how effective it has been in terms of alleviating the symptoms of my depression. Diet restrictions have not really bothered me at all . No real physical side effects apart from extreme sun sensitivity. This REALLY bothers me because I'm extremely fair skinned and burn so easily - frequent, and I mean FREQUENT reapplications of sunscreen and sun avoidance are a must for me. Parnate has also decreased the effectiveness of benzodiazepines such as valium and imovane. This has been really frustrating because I also suffer from anxiety and insomnia."

Delazeur (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "Have been on parnate for over 20 years, use with Trazadone, and I take 40 mg parnate, divided does and 250mg trazadone at HS. I had ect treatments 20 years ago, but had battled major depression since high school. I do believe the parnat has kept me on even keel for many years. I have found with the list of everything else you can not take with it Nutrasweet threw me into a hypertensive crisis..so heads up with that. Other wise, have never had any side effects with parnate"

emg60 September 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "Awful anxiety and depression. 25 years. Can't count the "new and (therefore) better" SSRI drugs I tried. On Parnate, I noticed a tremendous improvement in 2 to 3 weeks. And it kept getting better! Depression and anxiety wiped away, not embarrassed to be myself anymore, social, enjoying life! Dietary restrictions are so miniscule as to be laughable. And no red wine? Chocolate? Hah! 90% of the things they tell you not to eat are bogus or unproblematic nowadays. SSRIs CAN'T RAISE SEROTONIN LEVELS anywhere near what an MAOI is capable of. And the Dopamine increase may be what has helped my energy and joy for life again. Severe and treatment resistant? Google Ken Gillman and start living."

A New Life! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "Parnate is the bomb. After trying all the ssri nothing worked. Put me on parnate built a million dollar company got married and now have 4 children. Love it!!"

Imd12c September 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "Everyone responds differently to medications, and no two people are alike - so I kind of find these forums as being useless (if not borderline ridiculous). But just to share my experience...I have MDD (treatment resistant) along with Complex PTSD. I have tried every medication under the sun (over 90 different meds) before finally being introduced to Parnate in March of 2016. I was initially started at 10mg and eventually moved up to 60mg within 3-4 months. It seemed to be somewhat helpful for my depressive symptoms yet it created so many other horrific side effects along with it, that life is now worse than ever. Never have I been on a med with so many unwanted side effects. I'd rather be severely depressed any day of the week."

Halo242 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "I have tried many medications for major depressive disorder, SSRIs, TCAs, as well as cognitive behavioral therapy. All of which helped to some degree, but I was never quite functioning as well as I would have hoped. Depression was ruining my life and I was becoming very discouraged and disappointed because I had tried so many medications and other treatments, suicide was a thought I had every hour of every day. Now, every single day I am thankful I found Parnate. I get a little dizziness, some dry mouth, and some loud heartbeats, but that is an insignificant cost to pay to have the will to live back once again. If you are struggling with depression after trying many treatments, please ask your doctor about an MAOI. Best of luck!"

usernamena (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "The best drug for severe depression except you cannot eat cheese or drink red wine. But try TMS which is not a drug and has no side effects or if necessary ECT which is the gold standard and is much different then in "The One Flew Over The days."

Diedreaming (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Suffered YEARS from severe depression and anxiety. SSRIs, SNRIs naturally didn't work, and I tried every one I could! With Parnate (Tranylcypromine) I've felt normal for the first time in 15 - 20 years. I actually enjoy the flavor of food again, the green of the grass, the freshness of a nice evening breeze, as well as my old hobbies and friends and family. I still can't believe my luck. Also, haven't needed to change my diet at all. Fear of these drugs is overblown and usually irrational. Most psychiatrists today have no clue about them, so I would advise that you or a friend/relative self-educate before asking your psychiatrist about taking Parnate or another MAOI. There are some internet sites that can help with this. Don't quit!"

Was Hopeless Case,Alive Again! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "when nothing else works long term, this is the one. Pain to have to watch what you eat since it's an maoi, but it's better than not having it!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) June 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "I've dealt with major depressive disorder for 22 years and have always had to be on several anti-depressants at one time. They only lessened my symptoms in the best of cases, but did nothing most of the time. I've been on every antidepressant in addition to things like risperdal as an adjunct. I was on 450mg welbutrin, 60mg remeron and 120mg cymbalta concurrently with no effect when I decided to take the MAOI plunge. That was 18 months ago. It's truly amazing to feel normal. I'd forgotten what that felt like. I do have to say the first couple of months were the most brutal med adjustment I've ever been through. Very glad I hung in and didn't give up."

ssrissuck June 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "This is a wonderful medicine despite the MAOI stigma. It truly works!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "After trying many more modern anti-depressants which I found uncongenial due to primary, or side-effects, I tried Parnate. From the initial dose I felt a lift in my mental state, & although I have had to increase the dosage to maintain this improvement, it is ceratainly worth the diatary restriction hassles. The only bugbear is difficulty in getting to sleep, & having to take sleeping medication to cope, with the unwanted effects that come with using them. Overall though, the Parnate has been most useful."

Jim W. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Parnate (tranylcypromine) for Depression: "It took a month at 60mg a day to notice a big change. After two months of treatment with parnate I am feeling wonderful! I'm able to go out in public without panic, I'm more social, I'm dating again, and my energy level is up. I've lost over 30 pounds in the first 7 weeks of treatment- which is great for me since other meds I have been on made me gain a lot of weight. This medication is wonderful, but takes time to fully kick in."

Anonymous April 14, 2016