User Reviews for Parnate to treat Depression

Parnate Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 206 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Parnate

Lisa July 16, 2019

"I have been on Parnate for 21 years and still going strong. I had severe treatment resistant atypical depression for three years. Over that time they put me on 10 different antidepressants in various combinations and nothing worked. I did my own research and made my psychiatrist put me on it. Within a week I was fine. I would without a doubt be dead without Parnate. I regularly eat aged cheese and cured meats etc and have never had any food reaction. However, if I drink beer or red wine I do have a minor reaction - sounds weird but I grind my teeth and can just tell it’s reacting with the Parnate. Side effects are very minimal - dry mouth; bit of agitation etc (though that could be from my anxiety issues - which are also significantly reduced on the Parnate). The agitation was worse when I was on 60mg, but now I’m down to 30mg it’s fine. I have tried going off it to see what happened and the depression came back with a vengeance within a few days!"

lorafter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 13, 2019

"I am 49 years old. I have bipolar II, ADD, fibromyalgia, social anxiety, and almost three years of Agoraphobia. I started Parnate January 10, 2019. I also take Temazepam for sleep. Anxious for relief, I increased dose too fast, and as a result (I believe), on day 7, I had a Hypertensive crisis. I did not go to hospital or disclose to doctor. I would rather die than be taken off Parnate without giving it a chance. On day 9, I felt great! Lots of energy, motivation and felt happy. I was able to go on errands, visit family, talk on the phone (big phobia). Despite the occasional cycling, Parnate saved my life and has given me some hope. I know I need to add a mood stabilizer, but I am afraid of messing with something that's "good enough". I am lucky that the food restrictions are unnecessary for me. I also went back on Adderall, despite the warnings, 40 mg per day, which has helped a lot. My BP is normal. Check out research by Dr. Ken Gillman "

Lurch · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 12, 2019

"Finally found a psychiatrist that would prescribe an MAOI, An 87 year old doctor in town. By far, the best antidepressant with the fewest troubling side effects I’ve ever used. Be careful with hypotension at first. Start slow! Also, can buy the Brand name drug from Canada for 50% less."

JR · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 13, 2019

"This medicine literally saved my life. I've tried them all and only the MAOI class of drugs actually work."

chester · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 13, 2019

"Parnate really works for my depression and makes all other drugs for depression look like a joke."

dordeduh · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 16, 2019

"The grandaddy of antidepressants. The first couple months or so on Parnate will be a little rough since it tends to sedate you during the day and keep you up at night but this effect usually diminishes with time. As echoed by people here, the diet is pretty overstated. There are very few foods that will actually cause a hypertensive crisis. You will be fine as long as you don't binge on fancy cheeses, cured meats or eat spoiled food. Not a lot of docs know this but you can also combine it with TCAs and stimulants if it doesn't completely resolve your depression on its own. Probably the best option you have for hard-to-treat depression at the moment."

JOETAXI · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 25, 2019

"This is a very good drug for depression. I have no problems with the diet required. It the best drug for me. At high doses 60+ you will be dizzy for a bit when getting up. I now take 50mg every morning."

Tandava · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 23, 2018

"This medicine must be made available in countries like India. Here they just don't manufacture or import it because doctors don't even consider prescribing it due to their bias against it ( created by mass propaganda by companies marketing useless SSRIs, and anti-psychotics ( read depression inducers)) . I have to import it from Canada has closed down and I shudder at the thought of this medicine being unavailable altogether in future."

Greg · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 3, 2018

"Parnate is the only antidepressant worth taking. "

Downer1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2018

"Started out great lots more energy very upbeat then at around week 3 after upping the dose to 60mg day I went downhill couldn't get out of bed extremely low mood back to square 1 had high hopes for this med was very positive to be starting it I'm so disappointed now ."

d · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2018

"I have kind of atypical depression This drug is the ONLY true antidepressant in the market , I have tried nearly most of ADs even the Nardil didn't work for me. Parnate works fast and and keep working as long you take it on the right dose and time , I can just stop and back on this drug smoothly without side effects ( maybe just some sleepiness after taking the pills ) it may change your life . The only bad thing about parnate that its expensive ( 2 bottles) . Food interactions are joke for me , I can eat whatever without problem, but everyone is different so follow your doctors instructions ."

Ace · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 24, 2018

"Parnate was a miracle for me. I’d tried a few SSRI’s And experienced some torturous side effects, plus having to wait 6 weeks every time to see if they worked...3 days on 10 mg of parnate and I felt alive again. My body buzzed and for about a day I felt ecstatic. The dietary restrictions aren’t a problem since I’m vegan, just have to curtail the avocado lust. I did recently discover that the tablets contain gelatine however, so now I’m looking for another MAOI. It’s not the solution to all my problems, and I still need exercise, healthy eating, journaling and time in nature to avoid feeling down/anxious, but it certainly has helped more than any of the other stuff for my mood and depression. It’s a little tricky to get it prescribed in Australia, shrinks are overly cautious about the potential interactions."

cloudy · Taken for 10 years or more May 22, 2018

"Parnate is my favorite antidepressant. It took me from suicidal to happy in less than 48 hours."

Ava · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 3, 2018

"MAOI medication is the only type of anti-depressant which works for me. Both phenelzine and parnate have been miracle drugs for me. I was on phenelzine for 24 years and then it stopped working. I then switched to parnate. They do not cure depression, but totally change your life so that you can function and feel happy again. No other type of anti depressant has worked for me and I have tried a few. I have depression with anxiety, sometimes diagnosed as atypical depression also."

cobby5 · Taken for 10 years or more February 21, 2018

"I am asking you to go out on a limb, and trust a complete stranger, me. Parnate works for everyone, if it isn't working, you are: 1: taking the Parnate from Par Pharmaceuticals, it doesn't work long term. The parnate you want to buy is put out by Activas Danbury, make sure the active ingredient is made in Italy, it will say on your prescription sheet. Walmart usually is willing to order it for you. 2: you are not taking enough. The theraputic dose is starts at 30mgs, most people need 50 or 60mgs."

alex_t · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2017

"After failing to get any improvement with a whole range of antidepressants (incl. TCAs and wellbutrin), I was very much looking forward to starting on Parnate. Alas, unlike other pills, that had literally zero effect, this one added some negative side effects: heartaches, high BP, tense feeling in the chest, and even a visit to a hospital after I fainted (luckily nothing life-threatening). I envy people whose condition improved though. Also not sure what to do next, as this is literally the last-ditch measure, and ketamine in my country is administered only to hospital inpatients."

Hennessy Myre · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 5, 2017

"This is one of the few drugs that actually work for me. If you're attentive it's unlikely you'll run into trouble. If it improves life, it's worth it. We get into 2-ton things of steel and drive them around on the freeway super fast every day. Much riskier than taking parnate. I got off for a while and friends and family all insisted I stop trying new meds and remain on parnate for good. No side effects. Easy to quit for a minute when dental work and surgeries come up. Some times it feels like the market buries the best meds for some reason. Weird."

maiiia September 14, 2017

"A miracle drug for my depression!!!"

parnatefailed · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2017

"After only a few days on Parnate, my mood declined, my sex drive totally disappeared, I lost my appetite completely, and I could only sleep 4-5 hours a night. Then my blood pressure dropped and I wasn't able to stand much. I had heart palpitations after taking it. My mood was so dark, and my body so weak, that all I did I was lie in bed for 10 days. I already have problems getting out of bed but this made it feel impossible to move. It was absolutely miserable. I had to stop taking Parnate because it made me SO MUCH worse and I couldn't work, eat, sleep, laugh, nothing. The reviews on here are not a balanced representation of this drug. (I have bipolar 2 depression, social anxiety, GAD, ADHD)"

Depression sufferer · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2017

"By far the most effective med ! Start at least on 30mg a day, only side effect insomnia but has gotten better ! Been on it for 4 weeks . Combined with 40mcg of t3 (Thyroid med) as mood stabilizer. Helped so much with motivation and energy."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2017

"I have started this and been on it for about 3 weeks. I was originally on 30mg/day, and it has helped me so much. The only side effect I had to deal with was the upset stomach. It has helped me concentrate more on my homework, assisted me getting a new job, and just keeping myself busy. I do hate that it only stays in effect for a couple of hours, but thats usually all I need. One thing you will have to be careful of is what you eat and how you work out. I had stopped eating chocolate, and cheeses specifically due to the high tyramine level. Also, when working out I try to take the parnate after I am done working out so it doesn't effect my blood pressure."

Whisker72 May 2, 2017

"I too, had tried all the tricyclic's, SSRI's and SNRI's along with helper drugs for anxiety and insomnia. I went on Parnate 4 years ago and it's the ONLY drug that has consistently worked at keeping my depression in check. After a depressive episode that almost killed me, the decision was made to try it. There is no "poop out". The MAOI diet everyone one freaks out over is NOT that bad - just be mindful of what you eat. Following instructions for safe use of this drug is nothing compared to the relief of clinical depression!"

Wordcrafter April 1, 2017

"I have tried all the atypicals, tryciclics, SSRI's, SNRI's, and anything else they threw at me. The ONLY DRUG that helped was Parnate. The Walgreen's sheet said it would kick in within 1-24 hours. After the first pill I thought my mind had snapped. The abrupt cessation of all pain was so intense I was stunned. It has been ten years and I am still in love with this drug."

Jmac1 January 23, 2017

"Most stable I've been in years, seem to be more in the moment, a bit more confident with people, less nervous, no feelings of depression, don't really worry so much about anything. I'm getting positive feedback from people. Not full of energy but I'm wondering whether the emotional stability I now have will facilitate my projects, I'm more consistent, perhaps likely to get waylaid by instability. It would seem that it'd be a silly idea to go off parnate. The food restrictions are irrelevant for me, why would anybody who values their body and life eat pizza and cured meats ? I'm feeling stronger, more clear about life - and how short it is. I take 40mg per day"

AndrewKevin November 17, 2016

"No SSRI or SNRI works. Parnate works. Food restrictions caused no problems at all. Completely obliterated negative thinking and bad feeling. To me, it's a miracle drug. I was careful not to take other heavy duty drugs at the same time. This med probably saved my life. It should be used much more frequently."