User Reviews for Tazarotene topical to treat Acne

Also known as: Tazorac, Arazlo, Fabior, Avage

Tazarotene topical has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 39 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 67% of those users who reviewed Tazarotene topical reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

Tazarotene topical Rating Summary

7.3/10 average rating

Compare all 321 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Tazarotene topical

katj64 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2021

Arazlo (tazarotene): “I broke out with the worst cystic acne of my life on this medication. Didn't make my skin feel soft like Veltin (Clindamycin / Tretinoin) did. Made my skin rough and bumpy and I had horrible breakouts. I've been using for several months now and it's only getting worse. Would make my face a little flaky and red but nothing terrible.”

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2021

“This medication work differently on peoples skin. My experience with this was not a good one. I went to my dermatologist for a totally different reason and so while I was there I might as well ask her for any advice on these dark marks I was getting on my forehead and she prescribed me this lotion. After using it for about a week my face got even worse than before. My face was peeling , burning, and flaking like crazy . I developed a rash on my cheeks as well. The dark marks was becoming to appear on my cheeks. I have never had problems with my cheeks it was alway just my forehead. I followed all the directions to this medication. Nonetheless, I completely stopped using it after those side effects. I guess my skin is too sensitive for it.”

Jen · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2021

“I was really excited about trying this since I was wanting something a bit stronger than the tretinoin I had been using, but it quickly backfired. After a few uses I developed skin blisters on both cheeks. I followed all the directions: used every other day, moisturized BEFORE, let the moisturizer dry for an hour before applying the tazarotene, and I only used a very small pea sized amount. I guess this is just not meant for my skin. Back to tretinoin I go after these blisters clear up. Please listen to your skin if you notice something off putting. I didn't at the first sign, and now the blisters are worse after another couple uses. This is great for many people, but also not so great for others.”

20yo male · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 21, 2020

Tazorac (tazarotene): “Hi. I have been on Accutane twice, relapsed within three months both times, and used every prescription cream under the sun. I have had moderate acne since I was 11. This Tazorac saved me from my acne. I considered quitting so many times, but having pushed through now at 7 months it’s been incredible. The purge was awful and it took sooooo long to see a difference, but at 6 months suddenly I stopped waking up to any acne. I saw slow progressions up until that point. Please do give it 6 months it really works but it has to get into your skin. Good luck all.”

Leesh · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 26, 2019

Tazorac (tazarotene): “This did not work for me. I used it religiously for 8 weeks and it only made my acne worse. I woke up every morning with New white heads, it gave me larger more painful pimples than I had before starting this cream.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 13, 2017

Tazorac (tazarotene): “I started Tazorac on February 17, 2017. I had bad acne on my cheeks, and tiny bumps on my forehead. 4 weeks into Tazorac yes it did get worse. I didn't want to go to school or even go out with friends and family ! So, I went back to my dermo and he told me to keep my head up and that Tazorac was purging my skin and bringing everything to the surface. Slowly but surely, MY FACE LOOKS AMAZING !! It's May 13, 2017 and I barely have anything on my face and it's as smooth as a baby's bottom. If you're going through the purging stage I know what you are going through but I promise to stick with it and just know that the Tazorac is getting all the gunk out of your skin !! stay positive, drink water, use tazorac !!”

Danielle755 September 26, 2017

Tazorac (tazarotene): “This medication actually works!! After trying too many topicals to count, tazorac is definitely the best. For those starting tazorac reading this review right now, I know how much it sucks in the beginning. The initial breakout can be so horrible- trust me, I've been there. I've cried and not wanted to go out in public but in the long run- I promise it's worth it. Give it about 3 months to officially work and you'll be grateful.”

JB · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 13, 2020

Tazorac (tazarotene): “Great for acne but DO NOT OVERUSE. Apply before bed. Use As little as possible to spread all over affected areas. I used pea size as a rule of thumb but used slightly more as I also had acne and scarring from my cheeks to under my jaw line. Do wait for your skin to fully dry and moisturize after. Follow your dermatologist's instructions. be patient. I saw very tiny improvements in texture and smoothness every day from starting use but I didn't see anything significant until probably a month and a half in and by 3 to 4 months my skin looks way better. I used this with conjunction with Dapsone cream in the daytime. One tube lasts for months.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2012

Tazorac (tazarotene): “I've been using Tazorac since March 2012. My Dermatologist put me on Aczone to use in the morning, and Tazorac in the evening. There were some burning and itching in the beginning, but it when away. During my office visits I receive Chemical Peels also. Over a month, I've noticed the dark spots have lightened up and my skin is evened out. Now I'm getting my face back.”

Mj · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2019

Tazorac (tazarotene): “Love this stuff Tazorac, I tried it a year ago and it dried out my skin so I quit taking it. I went to a different dermatologist who has me try it again but this time tells me to USE LOTION with the Tazorac and this time it’s working well and my acne is gone and my skin is even.”

Chrissy V · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2020

Tazorac (tazarotene): “I was at my wits end after spending unnecessary monies on OTC/ prescribed treatments for acne only to be disappointed in the long run. I was losing hope was forced to accept the fact that my horrible acne would remain as it was. Eventually my doctor prescribed Tazorac; I am quite pleased. Cystic acne is minimal. Spots from former pimples are diminishing. For once, I am pleased with my overall skin condition. My face has cleared up drastically, my skin hasn't look so good in nearly 2 years. Overall satisfied Customer:-))”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2020

Tazorac (tazarotene): “I used Tazorac after my Accutane trial finished. I was still struggling with cystic acne and felt defeated but Tazorac worked great on my post-Accutane skin. I'm no movie star and my skin is not perfect (I still sometimes get small zits) but it is so much better. It's no miracle drug but it has helped me get my confidence back and now I'm feeling the best I have in years!”

Sammybanana23 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 15, 2019

Tazorac (tazarotene): “The absolute best thing I have ever done for my skin. I started tazorac about a year ago and my skin has never looked better ever. I’m mid 20s women who never had acne until about 23. I started using this and it completely cleared my moderate/ mild acne. Not only is my acne gone, my skin tone is even. I’ve always had trouble with my skin tone being off, but this literally made my face all one tone and look porcelain clear. Also a huge plus is that this medication is usually prescribed for people with wrinkles to help diminish them and prevent them. Definitely would recommend using at a young age to prevent wrinkles, even skin tone, open pores and clear acne.”

Anonymous April 13, 2012

Tazorac (tazarotene): “My dermatologist prescribed my Tazorac 0.05% cream when no other treatment for my acne worked. To this day I still use it and it clears all my breakouts within days and leaves my skin looking even and radiant. I often spot treat with it too, for it can dry my face out sometimes. Lovely product, I highly recommend.”

Sam · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 24, 2020

Fabior (tazarotene): “Before taking this medication, I was taking Epiduo for about 3-4 years. With time, it stopped working on me and I was prescribed Fabior instead. I began taking Fabior for my acne in October of 2019. I broke out horribly but I was noticing that it was taking care of pimples that were deep underneath my skin. (I am a believer of it will get worse before it will get better). I was losing hope due to the slow process but I just decided to stay on since it does take longer results for other people. (and I was one of those people). It is now April 2020 and I am just now seeing my acne begin to clear up. It is obviously not where I want my face to be but my skin is looking better. I advise you to be patient and not expect automatic results as everyone's skin is different.”

Geraldine · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 10, 2020

Tazorac (tazarotene): “I have been using Retin-A for awhile (for about 4 years) it started working tremendously for awhile but then it had gotten so accustomed to my face that I didn’t get the long lasting effects that I wanted. It was not until I had a recent appointment with my dermatologist for a follow up and expressed my experiences with Retin-A thus far she had introduced me to Tazorac 1%, after using this for about a month I saw an unbelievable glow and had dismissed all my acne. I highly recommend Tazorac of you would like to see a drastic effect on your skin.”

AnSF99 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 2, 2016

Tazorac (tazarotene): “I was using the 0.10% strength which helped greatly with clogged pores, blackheads, small pustules. However, I also had cystic hormonal acne, which the cream wasn't effective enough for. I took this in conjunction with spironolactone, but eventually had to take accutane. Downside of this drug: sun-sensitivity, skin peeling, redness For the record, it takes weeks to see results, and your acne gets WORSE before it gets better.”

sixdogs4me November 2, 2016

Tazorac (tazarotene): “I am 65, becauses of thyroid supplements, I started getting very oily with lots of blackheads on my nose, lips, & chin & a few small pimples. Went to my Derm after an 18 year lapse; she prescribed Tazorac; I really wanted accutane which I had taken in my 40's, really good stuff, but she insisted that I try Tazorac at .1%; I love it. It set my face on fire for about 2 weeks, I used Epionce medical barrier cream to cool it. & help with the sting. My face was very red too. After 2 weeks, the burn lessen and now I can put it on several days in a row without the cream. Been using for 2 mos & my skin is looking fantastic & brighter, I have a few acne scars and they are looking much smaller too. I am getting complements from family members.”

George · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 28, 2018

Tazorac (tazarotene): “This might work for some people, but I did not have a good experience with this topical. I was told to mix a pea-sized amount with a heavy moisturizer and spread it all over my skin. Initially, this was ok, but then my body broke out into a small bumpy irritated-looking rash almost a week in. I immediately went to the doctor who told me that I had a mild case of eczema due to how aggressive this cream is and how sensitive my skin is. She recommended discontinuing it until my skin improved and then only using this once a week until my skin "acclimated." Well, kids, the rash went away, but my skin never adjusted to even weekly use. This would make my skin dry, red, stretched and irritated. Consequently, my acne did not improve at all. In fact, I think it may have exacerbated the problem.”

Mlf · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2020

Tazorac (tazarotene): “I love this stuff. Only been using for a few weeks and already getting good results. Acne mark are fading, pimples shrinking. It definitely does dry my face out but if you exfoliate and moisturize you'll be fine”

SensitiveSally · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 24, 2019

Fabior (tazarotene): “I have not found an acne product that works and keeps me clear, until Fabior. I used Retin A micro for years and was constantly breaking out then peeling, breaking out then peeling. And it burned when I applied it. I have been using Fabior for the past year and finally found something that works. I got dry after using it for two weeks but not crazy peeling. It only lasted a weekend and wasn’t noticeable to anyone but me. I only use Fabior Monday Wed Friday and I use cerave moisturizer with it which I think helps. If I am breaking out (which is rare now) I may use two days in row but don’t need to often. It’s been life changing for my skin and has helped even out my skin and the leftover color that lingers from breakouts . I refilled for the first time a few months ago, so it lasted me a couple months but maybe because I only use a few times a week. ONLY USE A SMALL AMOUNT~seriously! Don’t irritate your skin with too much and plus it last longer that way!!”

Brittany · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 7, 2019

Tazorac (tazarotene): “Tazorac completely changed my life when it came to my acne issues. I didn't get acne until my early 20's and by the time I went to the dermatologist, it was completely out of control. I felt so hopeless like nothing could be done to combat my skin issues. I was started on Benzaclin and Tazorac and the combination completely improved my skin. Best of all the Tazorac helps prevent scars and dark marks. Now I just turned 30 and the Tazorac is even helping with fine lines. Thank you TAZORAC <3.”

ms_sylviaj instagram January 15, 2016

Fabior (tazarotene): “This product is a miracle for me! I have had acne since I was 13. I have tried everything no thing worked. My story is I stumbled upon on fabior by participating in a clinical trial. I didn't care about the money I just wanted to try anything to help my acne. The first month of using fabior it made my acne worse! It made me look like I got hit with the ugly stick. I had pimples everywhere and I was peeling a lot. I cried and my boyfriend convinced me to keep using it. He said that's your problem you always give up on a product if you don't see immediate results. I thank goodness I listened to him because the following week. My skin started to look beautiful. I never get pimples anymore and all my dark spots I use to cover with makeup are gone.”

healed123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 11, 2019

Tazorac (tazarotene): “HOLY COW! OK I’ve tried everything and my doctor randomly prescribed this nightly and I honestly didn’t think it would work. For some reason this did the trick and every since I started nightly it’s been getting progressively better and my skin is clearer than it’s ever been in my life. I love it, I got some dryness but less is more with the gel. I didn’t have any “purging” either. If you’re using this keep at it!! You will see results”

Kris · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 20, 2019

Tazorac (tazarotene): “I am really impressed I just start using Tazorac 0.05 but definitely can see an improvement it does purge your skin and it is drying at first but the pimples go away fast and my skin texture looks more even and firm hopefully in 3 months I will be acne free I was on epiduo but it stop working and my skin really was oily”

Meme6619 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 17, 2019

Tazorac (tazarotene): “Love love love Tazorac. Been using this for almost 2 years and I went from having horrendous cystic acne to having none! After trying so many oral medications, they did nothing but fix my skin in the short term(acne came back right after oral medications stopped) and caused long term digestive issues. Tazorac is the only thing that keeps my skin clear and has minimal side effects! The only side effect I've experienced is dry skin but just put extra moisturizer on and you’ll be fine!”

Tee December 2, 2019

Fabior (tazarotene): “I have used this product for over a month now , and I have used a lot of acne products, but this is by far the best I have ever used. My face has never looked this good before. I am very please with this product and would recommend that you a tleast try it you won't be disappointed.”

Stazzle · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2016

Tazorac (tazarotene): “I have been using it now for about a month. I have had acne since I was 11 and I'm now 50. Nothing has ever worked, ever! My dermotologist asked me to try first every other day and now I'm using it every day...about the side of a pea and I mix it with my Neutrogena face lotion with SPF sunscreen. I place it on my face and declote'. It has removed so many sun spots! My face looks 5 years younger...and my acne is healing much faster. It use to take a blemish, sometimes months to heal! Now I can see my skin is recuperating faster from blemishes. Even my best friend keeps saying, "you look so good today, what are you doing?" Ha, I finally told her and she has an appt with my dermatologist now. I am still using samples, don't know $$”

Learn more about Acne