User Reviews for Sunosi to treat Narcolepsy

Sunosi has an average rating of 4.3 out of 10 from a total of 23 ratings for the treatment of Narcolepsy. 22% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 52% reported a negative effect.

Sunosi Rating Summary

4.3/10 average rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Narcolepsy.

Reviews for Sunosi

Nukem80 June 20, 2021

“If insurance pays for this medication give it a try. If not, don’t waste your money. I've been on every stimulant there is. I was excited about this, unfortunately its done little to nothing. There is no way this can be abused. It is only controlled because it supposedly treats narcolepsy. The only effective meds for narcolepsy are stimulants so they put this in the same category.”

SleepySister June 6, 2021

“I have narcolepsy with cataplexy I have been on Provigil and Ritalin for several years always sleep however could function and motivated. Started taking Provigil and Sunosi in November 2019. At first thought I had found the drug after about three months the drops came no motivation. The best way to describe me is my eyes are open the rest of me is asleep. No focus all over the place”

DP April 10, 2021

“I started Sunosi 2 weeks ago for Hypersomnia. This medication may be life changing. Before taking Sunosi, I was miserably dragging myself out of bed ever morning, not knowing how I would make it through the day. My daily life consisted of working, constantly yawning, craving one more minute to close my eyes, napping 3-4 hours every day after work, and sleeping all night. Then, I would sleep the entire weekend away. A terrible “existence.” Since starting Sunosi, I wake up much easier, my constant yawning has decreased by about 90%, and the best part is my daily 3-4 hours naps are disappearing! A couple days I’ve taken 2 hour naps (huge improvement), but I’ve also gone many days with NO naps!!!! I start to get tired around 8pm and head to bed almost like a normal person. I do get a slight stomach ache at times, but eating usually helps. Thank you, Sunosi for HOPE!”

LolaBear November 27, 2019

“I have been diagnosed with Idiopathic Hypersomnia - a VERY close relative of narcolepsy without cataplexy. I started on Sunosi 75 mg per day. That did nothing. I only experienced relief at the full 150 mg dose. Effects start about 1 hour after I take it, shorter on an empty stomach. When I take the 150 mg dose, I am able to focus and don't feel "jittery" or agitated at all. It's a very nice medication for that reason. I find it's much more gentle than caffeine. The downside - this effect only lasts 3 hours. On the fourth hour, I start to "crash" and get very tired. I cannot resist a nap. This is counterproductive but common with every stimulant. So, my doctor is trying me out on a low 5 mg dose of the short-acting form of Adderall to "cover" me during this crash. I will report back on the combination soon. Hope this review helps someone!”

Dissatisfied · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 3, 2020

“I have had narcolepsy and been on Adderall or Nuvigil for 20 years. I did the 75mg To 150mg and at 12 weeks I thought my life has changed. Then at 16 weeks I come home from work more exhausted and tired than I can remember as if I’m not taking anything. I’m withdrawing from life -to sleep by 7pm Unless I throw Ritalin at it which I’ve never had until now (odd?) I’m worthless by 5. Then I’m up at 330 or 4am. Let me off the Roller coaster Ride”

Mdezify · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2019

“I started at 75mg at 7am. By 12:30pm I crashed and could barely stay awake. I’m now taking 75mg upon waking and 75mg two hours later. The best way I can describe it is that I’m awake but not overly motivated to do anything and I’d rather be sleeping. However, it’s the best option I have at this point because nothing else seems to work.”

jw November 3, 2019

“I got the free trial of 15 Sunosi pills. When I started using it I didn't feel any better still felt very tired. On the 2nd day of use I started getting a bad headache and I still felt really tired I also checked my blood pressure it was starting to get higher than normal and my stomach was starting to bother me. After the 3rd day stomach got worse still had bad headache and blood pressure was getting higher some slight chest pain. So after that I stopped taking it and now it's been a week since I have been off of it and no headache or stomach problems and blood pressure is down. The only thing I know is all the drugs that I have taken for narcolepsy had bad side effects and they all seem to be a bandage to fix the problem. I hate all of these meds because no one knows what damage you're doing to your body taking these meds that's why none of this stuff is good for you.”

So tired · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 7, 2021

“I’ve been on and off Sunosi for 6 months. I’m still tired and the side effects are not great. The extreme dry mouth and clinching my jaws are driving me crazy. Going to see if my DR can give me something else to take.”

Sael · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2019

“Sunosi 75mg a day has changed my life. I’m awake and not sleepy all day - it even seems to help me wake up in the morning. I don’t get the crash I did with adderall. It’s a much more natural awake feeling. Even spending an entire day in front of a computer I didn’t get sleepy.”

Mickey · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 11, 2020

“I was just diagnosed May 2020 with Narcolepsy. I was given another drug that worked at first then stopped after about 2 months. So my doc prescribed Sunosi. It did not help at all. I call him and he tells me to double my daily dose, so I do. Still don't feel anything, still am exhausted, no energy! I've been having a heck of a time with my insurance not wanting to fill it then it doesn't work when I do get it finally. Disappointed.”

Silverado November 15, 2019

“I didn’t have a lot of high hopes for Sunosi, I thought it would be very similar to Nuvigil/Provigil. I tried to 75 mg we jumped up to the 150 within two days doctor even had me take an additional 75 mg to make it to 225mg, which is over the recommended dose, and I still felt absolutely nothing on any dosage. It’s labeled as a Norepinephrine, Dopamine re-uptake inhibitor or a NDRI. Which there are several already on the market but their use is for anti-depressants, however a NDRI according to all the medical research I’ve seen would take weeks to reach full effect. I don’t understand how Sunosi can possibly block reuptake of dopamine and norepinephrine within 20 to 30 minutes to achieve the affect needed. So I hope this helps somebody make sure you get free samples or get it covered by your insurance. The manufacturer also offers a discount card which makes it only $8.00. Do not pay cash for this medication until you’ve tried it.”

zork · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 3, 2020

“Sunosi is very disappointed so far. Disturbing my husbands sleep more as he is having more awakenings. Not seeing much difference after taking except more irritable. Also cannot seem to stay awake for long at all during the day and when he is awake no motivation, fatigued. So far does not look like the drug for him. Better on older stimulants.”

TiredAf · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 29, 2019

“So I’ve been taking the 150mg for about five months now, at first it seemed like it was helping me and I didn’t get the crash with the Adderall. At this point I’m not sure if I still feel that way. I still get excessively tired and I am extremely moody. I don’t have any motivation at all and I feel as though my chest is tightened around hour two and I’m almost in a daze/fog. The depression associated with the narcolepsy seems to be getting worse. I definitely think I need to change it. I was never on provigil/nuvigil since I was diagnosed right when this drug came out.”

Cocco · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 31, 2019

“I was given 75 mg Sunosi for my narcolepsy. On the positive side I can tell the difference in energy, concentration, motivation and productivity and there is decreased need for a midday nap. Negative: this drug causes major heart issues. I have atrial fibrillation and I cannot take this medicine regularly as it increases my heart rate to 120 and raises my blood pressure. However, I try to take it once in a while if I have a commitment or something important to do like running errands, or needing to go somewhere. I am on Xyrem 4.5 for narcolepsy with excessive day time sleepiness which although helps me sleep about 6-7 hours it no longer helps me wake up refreshed as it did the first time I tried it. I also take Doxepin to sleep longer but it leaves me feeling too tired the next day and counter the effect of a good night sleep. I take a nap in the afternoon except on the day when I take Sunosi.”

Rye guy · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2020

“75mg taken in morning I usually expect my medication for my narcolepsy to take effect after about 1-2 hours depending if I eat with it however at 75mg I can’t really say if I feel it working I still feel tired during the day even though I don’t fall asleep. I definitely feel I would fall asleep if I didn’t preoccupy myself like playing a game on my phone to keep myself from closing my eyes. If I did close my eyes I feel I’d be likely to fall asleep especially if I had a busy day or a bad night with little sleep.”

Anonymous February 6, 2020

“I shared the experience of another person that added a review. I was so excited the second day I was on this medicine because I wasn't tired and didn't have any other side effects. Fast forward two weeks, my chest erupted in hives and I went to urgent care. They put me on a steroid pack for six days. While I don't have a rash any longer, I'm extremely itchy, have pins and needles on my face, tongue, throat, and eyes. I stopped the drug and am on another round of steroids in the morning and Zyrtec at night per my primary. I also had an increasing heart rate which made me very uncomfortable. That has generally subsided.”

Sidney · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2019

“I was put on 150 mg Sunosi for excessive daytime sleepiness. I took one day and I was awake, but not motivated and could not focus on anything or be productive. I have been on Provigil for many years and they said this medication was better than provigil. I hope it works for others”

Anonymous August 27, 2019

“Started with 75mg for about 5 days and then went up to 150mg. At first, the medicine seemed that it would work once I got used to the side effects and learning how to take it so that I was awake during the day but that it didn't keep me up at night - I was more awake during the day without really thinking about it. Unfortunately on about the 7th day of taking Sunosi I had a horrible "drug eruption" reaction. I went to urgent care and they put me on steroids to help with the swelling and I obviously stopped taking the drug. My face completely swelled up and developed a horrible itchy rash all over my body. It has been over ten days now and although things are getting better I still have an extremely itchy rash over most of my body. I am not allergic to any other medication and have never had a reaction like this. The other side effect I noticed during the week of taking it was lack of appetite.”

SleepyKitty · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2019

“I’ve been on 150mg of Sunosi for two days and I can barely stay awake. I was previously on modafinil, but after years of taking it, it stopped working for me. I am not impressed with Sunosi at all, and will be looking for something else until I can go back to modafinil.”

Jo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 11, 2020

“I get nauseous and feel like my sinuses are full an hour after taking Sunosi. It only lasts me 4 hours and I crash. I have been taking it for six months and it has not improved my quality of life.”

London · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2020

“This Medication raises my blood pressure and I felt like I had stroke symptoms to my total left side. My pressure was 189/114. Even half a tab made no difference. .”

Real · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2019

“I take 150 mg Sunosi and I’m awake but feel tired. Sometimes still nap in the afternoon but for a shorter duration.”

Addi · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2020

“For the first time in years I feel awake. Energetic.”

Learn more about Narcolepsy