User Reviews for Sodium hyaluronate to treat Osteoarthritis

Also known as: Euflexxa, Durolane, Hyalgan, Gelsyn-3, Supartz FX, Supartz

Sodium hyaluronate has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 397 ratings for the treatment of Osteoarthritis. 46% of those users who reviewed Sodium hyaluronate reported a positive effect, while 45% reported a negative effect.

Sodium hyaluronate Rating Summary

5.4/10 average rating

Compare all 183 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Sodium hyaluronate

Ralph13 · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2021

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “In my opinion this stuff should be outlawed. I would rate it a MINUS-5 after 7 days. After getting Durolane in both knees I could hardly make it to the car. The first 2 days I could barely make it to the bathroom using a walker. The next 5 days I am getting around with way more pain than before the injections. I have had over 40 Synvisc injections in both knees and they all had positive effects.”

MTArizona · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2021

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “Within a week, my knee locked up. Bones ached. Durolane given when cortisone didn't work previously.”

Dee42444 June 6, 2021

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “I would not recommend this drug to my worst enemy. I had slight pain and periodically had the Hyaluronic doses administered in 3 separate doses. Although I request this again, they said it was better to get the Durolane which s one quick dose. As a result of getting this injection, they pain from it was excruciating. It never left, waking me every night with severe pain. My mobility is worse now. I cannot say anything positive about this drug! I would rate it as a 0 on a scale of 1-10 with the 10 being the most effective.”

Susie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2020

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “I had an injection of Durolane on Sept. 2, 2020 and it is Nov. 8, 2020 now. (2 months, 6 days) I am in horrible pain and can not stand the pain when I stand up, cannot rest at night because of so much pain. I have taken low dosages of Prednisone and taking Tylenol and get hardly any relief. I cannot take any pain medicine other than Tylenol. Will this pain go away eventually? What has others found that caused this to happen and what have they done to get help. I have seen an orthopedic and he does not seem to know what to do and does not understand what has happened. Please anyone, can you give me any encouragement? I am desperate...”

gpod · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 10, 2020

Euflexxa (sodium hyaluronate): “Had 3 left knee scopes. Both Dr's removed more cartilage & meniscus then they should have. Now have bone on bone & Osteoarthritis. Have been getting these Euflexxa shots for more than 5 years. Without the shots I would have had knee replacement 4 years ago. Please don't wait the sooner the better it will work. The pain of getting the shot is none to a sharp 5 second only pain. No side effects for me all positive. I tell people my knees go from coffee grinder sound to a Q ball on a pool table sound. Also since the shots got back water skiing & horse back riding. I'm 60 now.”

Terrible Drug · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2021

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “This year my insurance changed and decided I no longer needed the synvisc-one injections that I had been getting for the past 3 years. They would only approve Durolane. I had never tried it and and assumed it was an equivalent to the other. Boy was I wrong!! I wish I had done my research before getting it. I received the injection in my right knee and immediately was overcome by excruciating pain that radiated throughout my whole leg. I was in so much pain and it would NOT stop. My knee instantly swelled and ceased up. After an hour of sitting in the Dr.'s office, I had to get my husband to come pick me up from the appointment. I couldn't even get my clothes back on. I could not put weight on that knee for a week. The pain is worse now than before the injection. I do NOT recommend this drug.”

Dhf · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 29, 2020

Euflexxa (sodium hyaluronate): “I have have had 10+ years of increasing right knee pain and then the other knee started hurting. I had physical therapy, cortisone shots which stopped working, more therapy, knee scope, max dosage of pain meds... I just coped until the increasing pain prevented me from doing many activities. Last August I had the 3 shots in both knees with no change the first shot, better after the 2nd shot, 3rd shot painful but better than when I started. 6 weeks after the last shot, I noticed that 95% of my pain was completely gone! It's 7 months since the shots, I am sometimes stiff but mostly pain free. I never take pain meds. I am so glad I did these shots. I'm not cured, my knees are still 70, but I delayed knee replacement. I would highly recommend trying the shots.”

Jen March 31, 2021

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “Got the injection in my left knee (has Patellar Chondromalacia) yesterday around 11:00, was fine until the Lidocaine wore off. I haven’t been able to walk since yesterday at around 3pm. Really wish I had researched and seen these reviews, I would’ve NEVER gotten the injection. I’m also an Emergency Department nurse, I don’t know how I’m going to work when I can’t even walk! I’ve been icing, elevating and taking Motrin....miserable!”

Nadia · Taken for less than 1 month March 6, 2021

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “I had the Durolane + steroids injection 5 days ago injected into both knees. I felt relief immediately and had no problems. I have been without pain since then, I can walk, stand and sleep much better and I feel amazing. I am very happy with the results of this injection and hope they last long.”

Masik March 4, 2021

Euflexxa (sodium hyaluronate): “After first injection it was very painful. Doctor told me I have to tell come to second injection. Now after third injection I can’t walk, terrible pain. What kind of experiment they did? What I have to do now?”

Pain Hater 2 September 24, 2014

Euflexxa (sodium hyaluronate): “I have received knee shots with Euflexxa and Hylagan and Synvisic-One. they all worked well for me. I experienced a little discomfort walking the first 10 minutes after the injections. The Euflexxa felt like WD-40 being sprayed into my knees and worked well. It made my knees feel very lubricated with a bit of a bounce. The others seemed to give a bit more cushion within the knees but with less lubrication. I would recommend Euflexxa to anyone that does not have an allergic reaction to it. Six to twelve months of relief. Greatly satisfied with the product and Insurance covered all of the price except the doctors up front office visit co-pay.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 24, 2021

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “Stay away! Had an injection in my hip in Oct 2020 and it’s been a literal nightmare ever since. Going on month 6 and I still have a ton of pain and struggle to walk more than 10 mins without pain. My hip is 100% worse than before the injection. I have deep deep regret that I chose to take the injection. I’m 48 and was in very good shape prior to this (I have a slight labral tear) and have not been able to train since. Completely depressing. My doc sent me for an MRI that ended up showing nothing of consequence. This really really affected and continues to affect me very negatively. I would give a negative rating if possible.”

Dearie · Taken for 10 years or more January 8, 2021

Euflexxa (sodium hyaluronate): “Using euflexxa about 10 years and has extremely helped my my bone-on-bone pain. In the beginning it lasted up to 2 years w/o pain. I get them every 6 months now or longer if I have no pain. Better than steroids. Never had side affects”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2021

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “I have received Monovisc and Gel One injections having extremely positive results with the Monovisc. Duralane was injected in my knee I thought it was Monovisc and I have been in unrelenting pain ever since! This drug seriously needs to be discontinued. DO NOT LET ANYONE INJECT YOU WITH DURALANE! I am crippled now. Before I have reasonable mobility. This is a disaster.”

person1 April 2, 2021

Euflexxa (sodium hyaluronate): “This works for me-usually between 8 to 12 months. Relief has been quick-even after the first injection. I have had this (I think) 5 times. My knee is never perfect, but it significantly delays the inevitable progression of knee fixes---surgery to clean it up, knee replacement, etc. I started when I was 45 years old as bad knees run in the family. The injections can be somewhat painful and some are very painful--for a few moments at least. It is hard to voluntarily go in knowing it might be intense. BUT--- I can walk around and live a fairly normal life by suffering a bit. Well worth it. I'd be in a wheelchair without these things-so I can't complain.”

Jane · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2020

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “Had Durolane injections 2 weeks ago. I have experienced the worst pain I’ve ever had. Could not walk into the house on my own. Pain is especially bad at night. Feels like I have hot coals in both knees. Would never recommend these injections.”

Sally · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2021

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “Had this injection a month ago ....absolutely useless. Did nothing for my right knee, still in acute pain. $500.00 down the drain. Really think about this, wish I had, but pain was so bad, would try anything for relief. It might work for you, but certainly not for me.”

james March 15, 2021

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “I had both knees done and I have had THE WORST pain ever I can hardly walk. My doctor suggested it would take a few weeks for it to work. It has been two weeks no change except more pain. When will the pain stop?”

Ex Pro-Athlete · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 5, 2014

Euflexxa (sodium hyaluronate): “I'm a 60 year-old male and active tennis player that is almost bone-on-bone in both knees. My orthopedist has recommended replacements. I opted to try Euflexxa. I had both knees injected in April of 2013 and again 7 months later. Both procedures have given me amazing relief. My doc lowered my expectations on the first round, so I didn't have high hopes. I was more that pleasantly surprised! Without these shots, I would be facing immediate surgery. I endorse Euflexxa highly. I did learn a trick: Ice your knee(s) 30 minutes BEFORE the injection! I had close to zero injection pain as a result. Also, ice afterwards to reduce inflammation. Good luck all...”

Brenda December 23, 2019

Euflexxa (sodium hyaluronate): “I am 55 years old--used to ski moguls and ran long distance races---had bilateral arthroplasties 8 years ago for severe osteoarthritis. I work hard to stay active and have lost 35 pounds in the last year eliminating dairy and sugar from diet. Now weigh in at 128 but knee pain was real! I opted to get Euflexxa injections to see if I could stave off bilateral knee replacements-- just got 3rd one today! I've had no problems with the injections and would dare say my pain right now is a zero out of 10!!!! I don't know how long this will last but for right now, I am a big advocate for Euflexxa injections! Everyone is different and you and your surgeon need to find what works for you!”

Skip · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2021

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “Please do NOT use Durolane. I had moderate pain in right knee and was recommended durolane and had the first injection in January 202. Now , end of March the pain is worse than ever. You would be better off just burning your $500 in the fire place. YES this company should be sued for the agony it has caused so many people. I wish I had the reviews first. BEWARE”

Sandi · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 2, 2019

Euflexxa (sodium hyaluronate): “Started Euflexxa over 5 yrs ago for bone on bone in both knees. Have series of three weekly injections twice a year. I walk every day and do Zumba twice a week. I have absolutely no pain with the injections (my doctor knows what he is doing) and have been relatively pain free. I am a 73 yr old female.”

Margaret · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2020

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “It’s one week out since my Durolane shot in my knee. At the time of injection it was a little more uncomfortable than a steroid shot. I was ok for two days afterward, then the terrible pain started and has not stopped. I can hardly walk or stand for very long. Very disappointed and discouraged by this injection and upset I wasn’t warned by my physician. I’ve been icing it and sitting a lot, and it’s more painful at night, so sleeping has not been easy. I would never get this injection EVER again. This has been my honest experience and just wished I had read the warnings from these reviews first.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2021

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “Day three after my first Durolane shots in both knees. Right knee, no problem. Left knee, pain with some swelling for two days. Now feeling great! I am excited to see how the next few months go. Word of advice...ice, elevate and Aleve. Rest for 48 hours...it’s worth it! Good luck”

LeeAnne October 24, 2019

Euflexxa (sodium hyaluronate): “I’m 53 and have bilateral OA I completed the 3 shot series of euflexxa and am 3 weeks out from the last injections. I am in worse pain and struggle to walk more now than before I started getting the injections. Daily life has become so different as even grocery shopping is difficult. If I stand or walk longer than 5 minutes I feel as though my knees are giving out on me completely. At the end of a day all I want to do is lay down because I can no longer stand to be on my feet causing my knees any more exhaustion. When you are desperate for relief you will try almost anything to find even 10% relief. After failed cortisone injections my doctor suggested euflexxa. He said “ you’re too young for replacement surgery “ at this point I want to be able to walk. My 72 year old mother walks and acts younger than I do. Come on all ready!!! Euflexxa a waste of money and the extra pain it has caused me is frustrating. Do NOT get get this!!”

Bebob December 5, 2020

Durolane (sodium hyaluronate): “I had Durolane injection in both knees yesterday. I have a headache so bad. I feel sick to my stomach, my left knee is larger and hard from the top of my knee and down, he drained it yesterday as well. I don’t know what to I wish I didn’t get it. This is the worst feeling. If I feel the same tomorrow I will call the Drs office again. My right knee is very sore. They feel like someone is hitting me in the knees with a hammer, not stopping? I hope it’s not a blood clot. Idk . I can hardly walk. For me day 2 it’s terrible, thank you for letting me tell my experience”

Siwaoasis · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2014

Euflexxa (sodium hyaluronate): “After years of increasing pain I finally decided to try Euflexxa. Why did I wait so long?? After first injection I had absolutely NO pain, no swelling, no adverse reactions of any kind. I've just completed my third injection and still no pain. I now know what it is like to walk without pain. Relief!”

Johnny G · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

Euflexxa (sodium hyaluronate): “I used Euflexxa for the first time in April 2019. Prior to that I always used Hyalgan which is the original form for this treatment and had very good results. I question my doctor on why he would want to change but he said it was a better treatment. Well, that was not the case. It was the worst thing I have ever done to my body. Within three weeks of my final injection my body went into systemic inflammatory response, I had an allergic reaction and developed something that is called poly myalgia. There is no question if Euflexxa caused the situation. Two months prior to getting the injections I had my blood work done and I was very healthy. One month after using Euflexxa, my inflammatory markers went through the roof. I was in bed for over two months. I have now been on steroids since July 2 and I'm getting better. I would stay away from that stuff.”

Learn more about Osteoarthritis