Sodium hyaluronate Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on June 24, 2020.
For the Consumer
Applies to sodium hyaluronate: injection gel/jelly, injection solution
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, sodium hyaluronate may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking sodium hyaluronate:
- Blue color or flushing or redness of skin
- difficulty in swallowing
- dizziness or feeling faint (severe)
- redness or pain at place of injection
- skin rash, hives, and/or itching
- stuffy nose
- swelling of eyelids, face, or lips
- tightness in chest, troubled breathing, and/or wheezing
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of sodium hyaluronate may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- itching of the skin
- large, nonelevated blue or purplish patches in the skin
- loss of appetite
- nausea and/or vomiting
- stomach pain
- swelling of the knee
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to sodium hyaluronate: intra-articular solution
Common (1% to 10%): Injection site pain/swelling/effusion/redness/warmth
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%):[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Hayfever reaction on face and neck, reaction on forearms and knees
Frequency not reported: Swelling of the face/eyelids/mouth/extremities, fever[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Arthralgia (18%), arthropathy/arthrosis/arthritis (11%)
Common (1% to 10%): Urinary tract infection[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Headache, dizziness[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Rash, itching[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Hyalgan (hyaluronidate sodium)." Sanofi Winthrop Pharmaceuticals, New York, NY.
2. "Product Information. Supartz (sodium hyaluronate)." Smith and Nephew Wound Management Division, Largo, FL.
More about sodium hyaluronate
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- 419 Reviews
- Drug class: viscosupplementation agents
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.