User Reviews for Pseudoephedrine to treat Nasal Congestion

Also known as: Sudafed Congestion, SudoGest, Sudafed 12-Hour, Entex, Sudafed 24-Hour, Sudafed Children's Nasal Decongestant, Silfedrine, Children's Dimetapp Decongestant Infant, Contac Cold, Drixoral Decongestant Non-Drowsy, Nexafed Nasal Decongestant, nasofed, Suphedrin, Suphedrine, Allermed, Novafed, Cenafed, Genaphed, Ridafed, Seudotabs, Sudrine, Superfed, Chlor-Trimeton Nasal Decongestant, Afrinol, Zephrex-D, Decofed Liquid, Efidac, Decofed, Kid Kare Drops, Myfedrine, Sudodrin, Elixsure Decongestant, Unifed, SudoGest 12 Hour, 12 Hour Decongestant, 12 Hour Nasal Decongestant …show all brand names

Pseudoephedrine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 208 medications used in the treatment of Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Pseudoephedrine

Magetha · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2019

Nexafed Nasal Decongestant (pseudoephedrine): "Nexafed is pretty useless in relieving symptoms of nasal congestion. A pharmacist gave this to my husband for me and I might as well take nothing. I’m a registered nurse and would never recommend this medication to my family or friends. Tomorrow I will go to the pharmacy and purchase proper Sudafed. I need relief to get through my day to care for my patients. Nexafed is no better than a placebo."

Farida · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2019

Sudafed 12-Hour (pseudoephedrine): "I have been suffering from a post cold congested sinus and took two caplets of Panadol Sinus which has 30 mg of pseudoephedrine hydrochloride and 10 minutes later my heart beats went crazy... glad that was during the day since I also suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome at night... but it helped my sinus congestion"

Jools · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2019

Sudafed Congestion (pseudoephedrine): "I was suffering with a cold over Christmas and ended up with a completely blocked nose and mild sinus pain. I have a tendency to labyrinthitus after a heavy cold ( this is a very unpleasant infection of the balance organ in your ear causing extreme vertigo ) and I live in fear of it !! I used Sudafed to try and clear the blockage before it could get to my ears and I was delighted at how quick and effective it was. After 2 doses of 2 capsules 4 hours apart, I had a solid night's sleep and my nose was much clearer. I feel much better today. I have continued with the Sudafed as my nose is still running but it's no longer blocked and my sinus pain has gone. Recommended."

Jake October 16, 2018

"Sudafed did nothing for my sinuses couldn’t sleep 2 days no medicine works for me over the counter"

TDP · Taken for 10 years or more October 15, 2018

"During certain seasons of the year. Especially snowy and rainy weather when the barometric pressure drops I get this really bad sinus pressure that goes all the way in the back of my head. I take two 30mg red IR pseudoephedrine’s and it makes all the difference. A little ibuprofen can help on the side too. Kicks in fast and at 60mgs there is a little to no side effects."

Nina · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 12, 2018

SudoGest (pseudoephedrine): "Didn't help after continued use for allergies especially when you live in death valley in Eugene, Oregon."

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more May 9, 2018

"I’m almost afraid to SAY how many years that I’ve been using this Medication... probably for 38-40yrs. & STILL WORKS for me, almost as if were Day 1...& LASTS me for 12 hrs! Love it, but usually ONLY take it once a day, when my allergies are the worst...(outside of my home!) "

Chip March 13, 2018

Sudafed 12-Hour (pseudoephedrine): "Had sinus surgery a year ago and now have constant post nasal drip and congestion. I found that Sudafed was the only product that gives me long lasting relief. But I get bad restless leg syndrome when I try to sleep. How Can I avoid that and still take the med."

Hello112233 · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2018

"I took Telfast D, 1 tablet twice a day, 120mg of pseud. I was fine at night, but just an hour after I took my 2nd dose in the morning, got nausea, lightheadedness, feel my heart was racing - heart palpitations approx 100bpm. This went on for hours. I threw up the meds. I got better after I took a short nap a couple hours later. I stopped taking but next morning - lightheadedness, nausea, heart palpitations, I gagged but didn't throw up, I went A&E. ECG test normal. 120bpm. Trembling, jittery, cold and anxious. Very similar to an anxiety attack. Doctor said pseudo caused my heart palpitations as a side effect. It didn't even help me at all with my nasal congestion in the first place."

Bon1917 September 9, 2017

"I am prone to sinus infections. I get them on average five times a year. There are times where my nose is completely blocked and breathing becomes extremely difficult. I have tried endless OTC drugs, like Mucinex, Advil Sinus, vapor rub and even nasal sprays. None of those have helped on top of home remedies. I tried Sudafed for the first time about two years ago and with just one dose I feel like myself again! I have experienced some drowsiness with the medication, but I could still function and do my daily task."

Rena111 August 23, 2017

Nexafed Nasal Decongestant (pseudoephedrine): "This product seemed to work for my nasal congestion but it made me EXTREMELY sleepy. I have never experienced drowsiness with Sudafed or its generic. I took one 30mg Nexafed pill at 8 pm and I actually had to take 2.5 hours off of work in the morning because I could not function! I didn't feel myself again until 10 am. I suppose if I took the medication very early in the evening, I might be able to wake up in the morning. But having young children, I must be present for nighttime routines and I can never guarantee that my sleep will not be interrupted. For now, Nexafed simply will not work for me. I will be returning it to the pharmacy and will have to find a new pharmacy to shop from as my mine is currently only carrying this new product."

Wm1611 · Taken for 10 years or more June 25, 2017

Sudafed 24-Hour (pseudoephedrine): "I have taken Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) for many years, and have found it to be the only OTC medicine that really dries up nasal congestion. Nowadays, "Sudafed," the brand name, is being sold with other ingredients, because pseudoephedrine can be used for illegal purposes in drug manufacture. When buying it at the pharmacy counter, one must show ID, so their name can be entered on a registry; a person can't buy frequent or large quantities of the medication. But if you get the real thing, it really works."

Wilkometre June 5, 2017

Sudafed 12-Hour (pseudoephedrine): "120mg of pseudoephedrine in one tablet is quite a lot and to be honest I needed to have a valium just to stop the jitters and extreme energy this tablet packs - I'm from Australia where codeine is sold over the counter and you can still get 120mg of pseudo in a tablet and it was definitely a case of the pharmacist making me out to be a criminal out to make meth....HOWEVER. IT WORKS!!!!! amazingly. Absolutely no congestion, I could breathe well and I had no issues with a runny nose. Again, downside was I felt like I was legitimately tweaking a bit, but other than that okay. Definitely for a few days' use at a time only"

NoThyroid · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2017

"I was told by my doctor to take Sudafed for allergy congestion. I guess she didn't know that it interacts BADLY with my synthroid and cytomel! (although she SHOULD have known - she is a doctor, after all.) After taking sudafed, I had a major anxiety attack and my blood pressure shot through the roof. It took HOURS for it to wear off. Apparently, there is a warning on the box that people with thyroid disease shouldn't take sudafed. Sudafed causes the effects of synthroid to increase dramatically and synthroid does the same thing to the Sudafed. If you take synthroid AVOID sudafed!! I threw the box away and will never take it again. I blame my Doc for not knowing this stuff is dangerous to thyroid patients."

Kilo Echo March 13, 2017

"Yes. Pseudoephedrine will make it easier to breathe, but if you don't read the fine print, you'll also find out that it makes it harder to pee, makes you jittery, and can make you restless. So, if you need to take it for a day or two - you should. But not for any longer."

Shelly8257 · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2017

Sudafed Congestion (pseudoephedrine): "Well I bought sudafed blocked nose capsules..my nose was blocked I could hardly breathe amongst other symptoms like flu fever sickness n high temperature. Anyway the thing that was bothering me the most was my blocked nose so I bought these sudufed capsules and it was the best thing I done I took one straight away when I bought them and thought at first they didn't work but as I continued to use them as stated on the packet the sure worked and made it so much easier to breathe so thank you I would definitely 100% recommend these brilliant product so thank you x"

Tdawg513turnup January 31, 2017

"I was feeling sick for about 3 weeks straight. Sore throat, cough, runny and stopped up nose, horrible dry mouth, extra crusting around the eyes, just overall feeling crappy but not bedridden. The levels of crappyness that I felt got better and worse randomly. Every time I thought I was going to get well, the sickness came back the next day with full force. I finally went to the campus nurse. She told me I probably had two seperate viral infections and told me to get pseudefed and ibuprofen. I did this and I am feeling completely fine! It's been one day and I've taken two doses so far. I will say I could not sleep for more than three hours last night and I'm tweaking out a little bit. But otherwise 10/10 would recommend."

July10000 January 28, 2017

"I found it helps with ADD symptoms. want to know about long term use side effects."

tsteele93 · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2017

"The new version does not dry me up, this dries my sinuses and stops the runny nose that is so annoying with some headcolds. So annoying that they have renamed Sudafed and tried to pull the wool over our eyes, this is the one that works."

Humby · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2016

"I had horrible congestion feeling like my head was blown up and I was having forehead and upper jaw pains I took sudafed and it brought amazing relief but the side affects were brutal causing me to panic but after all was done. It worked"

Coopdedoo · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2016

Sudafed Congestion (pseudoephedrine): "I've had plugged ears from sinus congestion for two weeks. I took two doses every four hours of two tablets each and the congestion has finally cleared but I didn't realize that it would make for a sleepless jittery night and now a jittery morning with no appetite and mild nausea. Next time I would start with one tablet and see if that helps and make sure I had plenty of time before going to sleep."

Allergy sufferer 21769 October 2, 2016

"I take this combined with my allergy med and it works great!"

Janet R. · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2016

Nexafed Nasal Decongestant (pseudoephedrine): "I don't write reviews normally, but I wondered if others had the same experience that I did. I had to buy this because my local pharmacy here in WV stopped carrying everything but this. It cost me nearly $8, and I may as well have not taken anything. In fact, my pharmacist, who knows my severe sinus issues was very apologetic and told me the stuff didn't work very well, but that's all that they were allowed to sell. I'm a retired high school science teacher, and I really have to wonder about this product. If meth users can't "cook" out the suphedrine due to a binding agent, then how is it supposed to effectively breakdown in my system? Shame on you, pharmacy companies for punishing those of us who use a product made for us correctly."

as3 September 15, 2016

"Works as supposed to do"

littlewolf21 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 30, 2016

"Very effective for nasal congestion. Took 1 tablet on an empty stomach coz it was 5am in the morning and I couldnt sleep as my nose and ears were blocked. Effect took place in 5 - 10 minutes. I think it works better than chlorpheniramine for me."

Learn more about Nasal Congestion

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)