User Reviews for Pseudoephedrine

Also known as: 12 Hour Decongestant, 12 Hour Nasal Decongestant, Afrinol, Allermed, Cenafed, Children's Dimetapp Decongestant Infant, Chlor-Trimeton Nasal Decongestant, Contac Cold, Decofed, Decofed Liquid, Drixoral Decongestant Non-Drowsy, Efidac, ElixSure Congestion, Elixsure Decongestant, Entex, ...show all 36 brand names

Learn more about Pseudoephedrine.

Pseudoephedrine Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 244 medications used in the treatment of Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Pseudoephedrine to treat Nasal Congestion

Sudafed 24-Hour (pseudoephedrine): "I have taken Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) for many years, and have found it to be the only OTC medicine that really dries up nasal congestion. Nowadays, "Sudafed," the brand name, is being sold with other ingredients, because pseudoephedrine can be used for illegal purposes in drug manufacture. When buying it at the pharmacy counter, one must show ID, so their name can be entered on a registry; a person can't buy frequent or large quantities of the medication. But if you get the real thing, it really works."

Wm1611 (taken for 10 years or more) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sudafed 12-Hour (pseudoephedrine): "120mg of pseudoephedrine in one tablet is quite a lot and to be honest I needed to have a valium just to stop the jitters and extreme energy this tablet packs - I'm from Australia where codeine is sold over the counter and you can still get 120mg of pseudo in a tablet and it was definitely a case of the pharmacist making me out to be a criminal out to make meth....HOWEVER. IT WORKS!!!!! amazingly. Absolutely no congestion, I could breathe well and I had no issues with a runny nose. Again, downside was I felt like I was legitimately tweaking a bit, but other than that okay. Definitely for a few days' use at a time only"

Wilkometre June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was told by my doctor to take Sudafed for allergy congestion. I guess she didn't know that it interacts BADLY with my synthroid and cytomel! (although she SHOULD have known - she is a doctor, after all.) After taking sudafed, I had a major anxiety attack and my blood pressure shot through the roof. It took HOURS for it to wear off. Apparently, there is a warning on the box that people with thyroid disease shouldn't take sudafed. Sudafed causes the effects of synthroid to increase dramatically and synthroid does the same thing to the Sudafed. If you take synthroid AVOID sudafed!! I threw the box away and will never take it again. I blame my Doc for not knowing this stuff is dangerous to thyroid patients."

NoThyroid (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yes. Pseudoephedrine will make it easier to breathe, but if you don't read the fine print, you'll also find out that it makes it harder to pee, makes you jittery, and can make you restless. So, if you need to take it for a day or two - you should. But not for any longer."

Kilo Echo March 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sudafed Congestion (pseudoephedrine): "Well I bought sudafed blocked nose capsules..my nose was blocked I could hardly breathe amongst other symptoms like flu fever sickness n high temperature. Anyway the thing that was bothering me the most was my blocked nose so I bought these sudufed capsules and it was the best thing I done I took one straight away when I bought them and thought at first they didn't work but as I continued to use them as stated on the packet the sure worked and made it so much easier to breathe so thank you I would definitely 100% recommend these brilliant product so thank you x"

Shelly8257 (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was feeling sick for about 3 weeks straight. Sore throat, cough, runny and stopped up nose, horrible dry mouth, extra crusting around the eyes, just overall feeling crappy but not bedridden. The levels of crappyness that I felt got better and worse randomly. Every time I thought I was going to get well, the sickness came back the next day with full force. I finally went to the campus nurse. She told me I probably had two seperate viral infections and told me to get pseudefed and ibuprofen. I did this and I am feeling completely fine! It's been one day and I've taken two doses so far. I will say I could not sleep for more than three hours last night and I'm tweaking out a little bit. But otherwise 10/10 would recommend."

Tdawg513turnup January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I found it helps with ADD symptoms. want to know about long term use side effects."

July10000 January 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The new version does not dry me up, this dries my sinuses and stops the runny nose that is so annoying with some headcolds. So annoying that they have renamed Sudafed and tried to pull the wool over our eyes, this is the one that works."

tsteele93 (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had horrible congestion feeling like my head was blown up and I was having forehead and upper jaw pains I took sudafed and it brought amazing relief but the side affects were brutal causing me to panic but after all was done. It worked"

Humby (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sudafed Congestion (pseudoephedrine): "I've had plugged ears from sinus congestion for two weeks. I took two doses every four hours of two tablets each and the congestion has finally cleared but I didn't realize that it would make for a sleepless jittery night and now a jittery morning with no appetite and mild nausea. Next time I would start with one tablet and see if that helps and make sure I had plenty of time before going to sleep."

Coopdedoo (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take this combined with my allergy med and it works great!"

Allergy sufferer 21769 October 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexafed (pseudoephedrine): "I don't write reviews normally, but I wondered if others had the same experience that I did. I had to buy this because my local pharmacy here in WV stopped carrying everything but this. It cost me nearly $8, and I may as well have not taken anything. In fact, my pharmacist, who knows my severe sinus issues was very apologetic and told me the stuff didn't work very well, but that's all that they were allowed to sell. I'm a retired high school science teacher, and I really have to wonder about this product. If meth users can't "cook" out the suphedrine due to a binding agent, then how is it supposed to effectively breakdown in my system? Shame on you, pharmacy companies for punishing those of us who use a product made for us correctly."

Janet R. (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works as supposed to do"

as3 September 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very effective for nasal congestion. Took 1 tablet on an empty stomach coz it was 5am in the morning and I couldnt sleep as my nose and ears were blocked. Effect took place in 5 - 10 minutes. I think it works better than chlorpheniramine for me."

littlewolf21 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexafed (pseudoephedrine): "The only noticeable effect was that it made me extremely sleepy. Did not work in the slightest."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had a very bad reaction to this medication. When I take it about 4 hours later my hands get extremely itchy. The next day I get little water like blister things under my skin and a few days later my skin starts to peel off. No one can explain this which is frustrating because in Canada there is only one old cold tablet I can take that doesn't have this decongestant in it. Has anyone else had the reaction to the product?"

Debchu May 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"30 minutes after taking experienced increased heart rate, tingling all over body, cold extremities tingling of tongue. Thankfully symptoms settled after 2 hours"

District999 (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The only thing that works for me. Too bad they make you feel like a criminal when you go to buy it and make you take way more trips to the store than necessary because you can only buy so many at a time. If people want to use it to make meth and kill themselves let them (they're doing it anyway regardless of this stupid law) I just want to be able to buy it in bulk or online to save myself time and money since I use it regularly. I noticed lately is every store I go to is out of the generic 12-hour. Every pharmacy, grocery store, etc, no matter which one, and I have to buy the name brand for 50% more money. It's bad enough the price is already higher than it should be due to these loser meth addicts, now I have to buy name brand!!!"

realmavisbean February 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I would not recommend this medication. It only makes you feel worse. I am much more congested then I was before."

1038538 February 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a terrible experience with this medicine and I do not recommend at all. Instead of helping you to decongest, it just makes you more congested. It stops the phlegm from being coughed up which it would make you feel worst. The minute I stopped taking the medicine I started be able get rid of the phlegm. Same as the majority of medicines over the counter, they are just a temporary help - but on them long they make more damage to you."

Cachito Congested December 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Currently taking pseudoephedrine for chronic sinus migraines and ear congestion whilst waiting for a specialist appointment. I have found it the most effective pain relief for the sinus migraines and I have tried everything - hot compresses, inhaling steam, saline sprays, nasal sprays, antihistamines, decongestants, panadeine, ibuprofen, codeine. It is not clearing up the source of the problem but does provide some relief."

Anonymous November 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor says this medicine is not for ear pressure, but it sure helps me. I battle allergies all year long, but eliminating gluten has helped tremendously. I now take 1/4 tablet in the morning and again in the afternoon if needed. I NEVER take the full tablet. If my symptoms are really bad, I take 1/2 tablet more frequently, rather than a full tablet as directed. It can cause a racing heart and insomnia, so decrease dosage and only take what you need to take the edge off of your symptoms. Trust your body (often times more than your doctor)."

PamHH September 19, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sudafed Congestion (pseudoephedrine): "sorry sudafed no stars as no change! Back to hot steamy water with albas oil ! That worked"

Raps August 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Apparently I have taken this drug longer than I realized. I was prescribed the Drixoral version of this more than 30yrs ago in the military. It worked for me then and works today. I have suffered Hay Fever and many allergies my entire life. Please everyone remember this drug is like all others, simply put, it works for some and can actually be detrimental to the health of others! This drug is not really meant for your flu like colds, it can help with some of the symptoms but truly works best for straightforward sinus problems. I have tried the 1 a day pills and if they worked it would be 2 to 4 hours of relief and then a similar time of eyes watering, nose running until it released more into my system. Long live SudoGest(prescription only)!"

Chef Jon (taken for 10 years or more) July 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For me, it didn't work. I didn't have any noticeable difference in my congestion, etc. I get a very bad stuffed every time I have a cold particularly at night. This didn't help me and it made me feel very nauseous which is not a pleasant side effect when the aim of this is to relieve discomfort."

Anonymous June 28, 2015