User Reviews for Primidone

Seizures 8.4
Summary of Primidone reviews 5.8 86 reviews

Reviews for Primidone

Wordsmith · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2020

For Benign Essential Tremor: “I started using 25 mg dose of Primidone to help with the tremors, but I began to have strange reactions. Sometimes I seemed to float right between sleep and awake most of the night. Soon after came horrific nightmares that would not stop. I would wake up thinking it was real and calm myself down, but the same dreadful dream overtook me as soon as I fell asleep. I couldn’t believe the vileness of the images in the dream! The last and worst one was a couple of days ago, and the thoughts of the images are still upsetting. I didn’t take one last night, and no nightmares. I prefer living with the tremors!”

Bob · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 23, 2020

For Benign Essential Tremor: “I am 63 and have had a tremor since high school. Grandfather had it as does my twin brother. I was having difficulty writing and forget about eating soup. Mr head would bob in business meetings. I have been taking 50 mg primidone morning and night. My tremor has subsided and business associates all noticed. I came to this site looking for side effects. I generally feel bad but don’t really have the specific side effects listed here. Overall I am very happy not to shake anymore and no longer spill food all over my shirt”

Dylan's Dad David April 3, 2020

For Benign Essential Tremor: “Have had essential tremors for 9 years started with primidone at a dose of 50mg twice a day am now up to 250mg twice a day . They saved my life ,the one side effect that I have is loss of appetite which was great because I was over weight.”

Shakey · Taken for 10 years or more February 20, 2020

For Benign Essential Tremor: “I am a 59 year old female. I first noticed slight tremors in my hands my senior year of high school. They were something I could live with, people just thought I was nervous all the time. About 10 years ago they came back with a vengeance. My neurologist prescribed 100 mg of primidone twice a day. They continued to get worse and they added propanolol. This helped with my tremors but made my blood pressure very low to where I was in the ER twice in one day; falling down and not able to walk a straight line. We stopped that med. I am now on 500 mg twice a day and can hardly function. I can barely type, very hard to eat, spill things, lose my balance and fall. Very frustrating but I don't know what else to do. I don't DBS or anything like that. I've read where people can't walk anymore or control their bladder. So I just put up with it.”

Butterflies February 2, 2020

For Benign Essential Tremor: “I've noticed as a very young child, I had shaky hands and was constantly bullied. I couldn't take it anymore I wanted to know what was going on with my hands. So about the age of 32 I saw a neurologist and finally an answer, he told me it is called benign essential tremors. He put me on gabapentin which caused me bad side effects automatically I was told to stop taking it. I was put on primidone and it has been working for about 8 years, the past couple of years I've been having problems so recently I saw my primary, she stated that primidone is linked to drug induced lupus . I have swelling around my mouth it's not going away. My ANA blood test came back very high, she reached out to my neurologist and told him about everything and he wean me off primidone and now I'm taking zonisamide. My neurologist never heard of drug induced lupus I asked him. Now I have to be careful with zonisamide .”

Robert · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 19, 2020

For Benign Essential Tremor: “I am using 500 mg of primidone per day, but nothing happens, tremor is still the same. I don't even have side effects. Strange.”

Anakin · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2019

For Benign Essential Tremor: “I started primidone 3 weeks ago for . Tremors essentially (get it) 75-80% better. Only side effect is minor GI issue and minor fatigue . Benefit definitely out ways the risk . I'm on 50 mg once a day”

Newt80 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 23, 2019

For Benign Essential Tremor: “without it I couldn't right my name. But my tremors haven't stopped. They are getting worse. I just started taking 300 mg 3 days ago, so we will see. Right now I don't like how I feel..”

PKB September 21, 2019

For Benign Essential Tremor: “65 yo female. Dad had essential tremors 4 the last 10 years of his life. By the time he died, he could barely feed himself or hold a cup. His tremors developed gradually in the beginning, but worsened quickly his last yr. My tremors are still mild & began about 18 months ago. The area most affected is my dominant hand. Handwriting is difficult & holding a full cup or glass is also a problem. I have been taking Primidone for 9 mos. At a recent visit with my neurologist, I told him I didn’t believe Primidone was relieving my symptoms. Dose is 100 mg at nite which was an increase from 50 mg at nite. I also take 600 mg of Lithium ER, which can cause tremors. They are worse when I am in a stressful environment. I take .25-.50 Xanax, which helps. We have decided to D/C Primidone 2 re-evaluate Lithium as the root cause. However stopping the Lithium is not an option. I haven’t experienced any side effects. Follow up in 6 mos Other meds haven’t helped. May consider DBS if they get much worse.”

anon · Taken for 10 years or more September 17, 2019

For Benign Essential Tremor: “I started taking Primidone about 10 years ago--50 mg/day. I was delighted! I could write my name again! When the tremor got worse I increased, 2/day. Now I have max dose of 6/day and the tremors keep getting worse. First my left hand, then both, now head, tongue and voice. Here is what I have recently learned: , I learned that the drug depletes the body of B12. Now I take MethylB12 injections every other day. That helps a lot! Next I learned that ~80% drugs made out of the US--I suspect mine is (AMNEAL PHA)--are frauds and the US has no jurisdiction there. So what am I really getting??Read Bottle of Lies by Katherin Eban”

Ksn September 14, 2019

For Benign Essential Tremor: “Terrible drug. They should have said do not drive and be very careful walking”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2019

For Benign Essential Tremor: “I am an 86 year old male in excellent health except for moderate essential tremors in my hands and neck. For the first time I took 50 mg of Primidone after breakfast at 8:00 AM. after 1 1/2 hours got so dizzy and nauseated that I could not walk. I also had periods of double vision. I spent the rest of the day and night in bed. After 24 hours, the effect is about 80% gone. No more Primidone! I'd rather shake than stagger.”

Anonymous July 21, 2019

For Benign Essential Tremor: “I am 76 and started on primedone 50 mg twice a day approximately a year ago for hand tremors. I had difficulty with eating and turning pages in a book. Was embarrassing in public. Medication immediately handled the tremors, but left me sleepy all day and rather in a cloud. I now am back to tremors and have asked for an increase of dosage, however dr. Is holding off for tests to determine dizziness issues. Carotid test good as was MRI, so now I've decided to take 50 mg at night only , to see if sluggishness goes away and perhaps the sleepiness too. I think primedone is worth the try. Overall it has been good for me”

William June 23, 2019

For Benign Essential Tremor: “I’m 59 male , started primidone about 11 years ago for benign essential tremor. The neurologist started me at 50 mg and had me increase to 250 mg , which was way to much for me to tolerate , so backed off to 150 mg once at night. It worked somewhat for about 8 years but then began to get panic attacks and the tremors got a lot worse then before I even started primidone. Neurologist recommended to up the dosage, but I was reluctant . So I went to 100mg for a couple of weeks , now am down to 50 mg a day and have found the tremors are dissipating . I know for me this drug is addicting and over time made my tremors way worse. I also believe it can do irreversible damage to your body. My advice to anyone thinking of taking this or any other drug for essential tremors is think twice and do a lot of research ! I will eventually be off primidone altogether and will learn to live without medications such as this.”

boomer June 17, 2019

For Benign Essential Tremor: “I am 69 years old and have genetic essential tremor. My parents both had it and my sibling has it now. So far my kids do not have symptoms. I have been on Primidone for 25 years. I initially started with a low dose of 62.5 (a quarter of a 250mg pill) then slowly over the years increased the dosage until I maxed out at 500 per day (one 250 mg in am and one 250 mg in pm). It really helped for many years but at the 500mg level after 25 years it no longer works at all (which I am told is normal) so I am weaning myself off the drug under my neurologist's care. I was curious to see some people who experience vertigo. I have had that for many years but was told it was another condition-benign vertigo-”

Bonesetter · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2019

For Benign Essential Tremor: “50 mg bid dosage. My age 76. Had every listed side effect including eom pain, panic attack , mania, suicidal thoughts and actions, muscle cramps, irritability, depression , diplopia,,excitement. Took this for 7 months did not realize side effects until 2 weeks ago. It should not be given to the elderly.”

Bill · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 21, 2019

For Benign Essential Tremor: “Started Primidone about 3 years ago. First I took 25mg twice a day for a week then 50mg twice a day there after. It works well for me, no side affects at all.”

Herb · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2018

For Benign Essential Tremor: “It took away the hand shaking but I felt off when I was on it. I wanted to get off it and my Dr weaned me off. Very bad experience. Diarrhea, sleeping constantly and whoozy. still weaning off of it. I was only on it for 3 months.”

MissColo · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 31, 2018

For Seizures: “I have Addison's Disease (schmidt's syndrome, more precisely) and Epilepsy but was I initially diagnosed with essential tremors also. This definitely helped my hand shaking and I still take it. I am on Topamax, hydrocortisone, and my HRT, (including thyroid) also. I have taken Primidone for 4 years and Topamax for 3. I also have a Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS). A year ago, a strange rash appeared on my legs that WILL not go away despite every method used by my dermatologist. He says it's one of the meds. Under hospital care, I came off of Topamax for a week and the rash did not go away or lighten so we think it may be the Primidone. I just read more comments from others saying they have had skin issues after prolonged usage. Guess it is time to try to discontinue my beloved Primidone! Would love to see more information and studies about this side effect! I thought I had leprosy!”

hooplah July 12, 2018

For Benign Essential Tremor: “26 year old male I was on 50mg a night for my tremor and had tried several other medications before. (Some for high blood pressure, too). Taking this while taking Propranolol occasionally for instances where I knew I'd be nervous. Primidone sedated me a bit at night and helped with my insomnia. Initially, 50mg was enough to carry me through the day. After a year, it started to wear off earlier during the day. My doctor suggested taking a pill in the morning, too...but that made me incredibly drowsy/foggy. We decided to switch to 100mg at night instead....yikes. I was coincidentally dealing with some major family events and found myself emotionally derailed. My family 'intervened' out of concern my medication was making me unstable...so I quickly jumped to the doctor's office, had an MRI, and switched to Gabapentin. I also became dependent on this drug for sleep and have been struggling with insomnia since. The withdrawal symptoms, even while weaning off, were not fun.”

Jazzy · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 17, 2018

For Benign Essential Tremor: “Helps me a lot. I only take half of 50MG per night. As with meds for restless leg, less is best for me. Too much of either med and then forget to take and it's awful! I've forgot on the lower dose and not that bad.”

Dan · Taken for 10 years or more June 12, 2018

For Benign Essential Tremor: “I was diagnosed with ET (essential tremor) about 12 years ago and first started on primidone at 50 mg nightly. As the disease progressed my doctor increased my dosage until I was three 250 mg tabs a day. This was the max allowed. I had to stop working due to not being able to write and I used lift gear to eat. The tremors continued to worsen. Recently I had a DBS (Deep brain stimulation) operation. I no longer am using primidone.”

Shakeylell · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2018

For Benign Essential Tremor: “Have tried Primidone twice now - the first time it caused anxiety attacks, drowsiness and disorientation on an increasing dose - I got to 150 mg per day - taken at night. Recently tried it again and the same again although only got to 100 mg per day. It initially helped the tremors but it didn't seem to last long so have abandoned it altogether now. Am also on Propranalol which helps minimally but I think helps more when I am nervous and have to 'appear' in public!”

Participant · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 25, 2018

For Benign Essential Tremor: “I’ve 39 whose had tremors most of my life. Went to see a neurologist and he suggested primidone. I started taking 50 mg primidone and I woke up the next day disorientated, room was spinning. I felt drunk, high, and vomiting the entire day. Doctor told me to take 1/2 the following night and rest of week. My neurologist told me to stick with it and it would get better. 1 1/2 months later the same results but then I had to do a taper off the drug. I’ll never take it again. I hate having tremors, it’s embarrassing but being sick all the time isn’t the trade off I was expecting.”

jhk · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 18, 2018

For Benign Essential Tremor: “Neck essential tremor for 8 yrs now. Am 65 and put on propranolol which made me soooo sleepy. Then Primidone. It helps 50% but still when I am in interactive situations mainly, really alert ,and busy I have them. At first I felt uncoordinated and dizzy. I shouldn't have been driving ( 2 fender benders ,perception and parking issues). On 100 mg. Primidone now and seeing Neuro. next week. I have changed in energy level and lifestyle but not all bad. Will not increase dosage though.”