User Reviews for Polyethylene glycol 3350 to treat Constipation

Also known as: MiraLAX, GlycoLax, GaviLAX, ClearLax, PEG3350, Purelax, HealthyLax, Gialax, SunMark ClearLax

Polyethylene glycol 3350 has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 211 ratings for the treatment of Constipation. 68% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Polyethylene glycol 3350 Rating Summary

7.5/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Polyethylene glycol 3350

Lea · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2020

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I just had to share in case anyone else was going through the same thing. I’ve been having major issues with hemorrhoids, fissures, and honestly who knows what else. I could only go every 3-4 days and it would be so painful. I would panic before I went. I would be in extreme pain for up to 8 hours after each BM. I was afraid of living. After an extremely painful BM, one I almost couldn’t pass myself, I decided to try Miralax. I had already changed my diet, upped my fiber, drank excessive amounts of water. 3 days after taking this, and 3 days after my last very painful BM, I went. And it was soft, quick, and only a little painful (a 1 or 2 on a pain scale instead of a usual 8-10). I cried, from happiness. I didn’t think I could ever not be in extreme pain and fear. If you are suffering in silence, please give this a try. It takes time to work. I take a full cap every day. Might need to adjust to be more regular but we’ll see. But also make sure you see a doctor”

C · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2019

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “Although MiraLax works...it makes you have ice cream soft serve like bowel movements..the bad part for me is I will feel like I have gas and will just let it go and you shouldn't. Don't trust a fart - you will poop on yourself. For real. I just did. You also need baby wipes after bowel movements otherwise you will go through a whole roll of toilet paper trying to clean up your backside. I'm glad I've been able to have movement but I'm not ok with the side effects of it. I may just start taking something else to produce bowel movements. Maybe I'll try benefiber and see what that does. But it took about 2 days for me for it to work. I have to take excedrine pm for me to sleep and I think that's what causes my constant hard ball constipation. So this helps but I can't be at work and poop on myself and or not have wipes to get fully clean. It seems to just cling to backside.”

Kittencuddler · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 24, 2019

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I have had IBS since I was about 7 years old, back then there was no such thing as IBS, Finally at age 15, I was told I have IBS, back then, I got severe constipation, then severe diarrhea with such bad cramping! Then at age 20, it just turned to just constipation, so from age of 20 till last year, I only went 2 times a week, I could not take anything due to the cramping, then found milk of Magnesia, which did work, but I had to get the right dose, usually the child dose. So about 8 months ago, I got so constipated! I always thought miralax was harsh, so since I had not gone in almost 2 weeks!! I would try anything! Took it for 2 days, then I did the best bowel movement I can remember! Now I take it about 1 time a week, with NO cramping! NO Diarrhea. From age 20 to my age now I had only had those round balls of stool, now when I go, it is sausage like - how it is suppose to be ! To be honest lol, I just can't believe how large long my stools are! Have a great day everyone! you have got to try this!”

ShirlDBP February 24, 2014

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I have had Irritable Bowel Syndrome-chronic constipation since 2001. I have been to hell and back. Been in the hospital SEVERAL times for being so "backed up". I have been on several different meds and OTC things for constipation. My gastro doc finally told me one of the reasons I suffer gas (can't burp) is because of being backed up. She put me on Miralax LONG term. I take it once a day. If you suffer or know anyone that does get on Miralax and never be without it.”

Anonymous February 13, 2014

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I was diagnosed with colonic inertia and was scheduled for surgery to have my colon removed and the small intestines attached to the rectum due to chronic constipation. I could not have a bowel motion without the use of an enema and was hospitalized several times due to impactions. The last time I was hospitalized I was given Miralax and since then I have had no problems with constipation. I take it once a day or once every 2 days and it has worked wonders for me I am able to have a bowel motion almost every day with no problems. I have experienced no side effects at all. Since it has been working I have decided to opt out of the surgery, it has been so wonderful to feel normal again. I have been so relieved in not having to worry about painful bowel motions, it's great.”

Serene Celine · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 18, 2014

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I have had very painful Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Constipation for most of my life and have gone as long as three weeks without a bowel movement. It hasn't responded to changes in diet, exercise regimens, or fiber supplements. (In fact, the fiber made it much worse!) Other laxatives either don't work or wring me out for days. My doctor prescribed Miralax in 2008 and I have taken it daily ever since with no problem. I still don't go every day, but when I do go the stool is soft, and the motion is easy and painless. I expect to take Miralax forever, and have no problem doing so. It's a beneficial, versatile medication that's definitely worth a shot if you're battling constipation.”

HR January 23, 2020

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I’m on an opioid for osteoarthritis in my spine & a tumor pressing on my spine that is too risky to operate cause there’s a very high chance I’ll be paralyzed so I can’t exercise to keep my bowels moving. Usually after 2 doses of Miralax, Once a day, & lots of water I start going again, it does make the movement softer. Even though I take the flavorless powder I can still taste some sort of awful taste. What everyone needs to realize is that we are all different & our systems are going to react differently. One thing may work well for 1 person but not for the next. So just cause there’s a bad review of this product for 1 person doesn’t mean it’s bad for everyone. Like with all the side effect complaints for some people, I have never had those effects ever. I start taking this product if I haven’t had a bowel movement after 3 or 4 days. It’s a trial & error thing in order to know if this product is right for you.”

DJ January 13, 2020

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I have been taking MiraLax for about 6months now. I was put on Suboxone for opioid dependency. One of the side effects from suboxone is constipation.I used to spend hours in the bathroom every night trying to have a bowel movement. I tried every fiber supplement. I tried every laxative and they just tore me up. The stomach cramps where awful and still very little bowel movement after straining for hours. Finally I told my Doctor I cant keep doing this. Its horrible and miserable. He said, Get "MiraLax". I was skeptical, but agreed to try it. I have not been constipated since that day. I take 1 dose daily at the same time every day and have a full bowel movement everyday at the same time. The only side effect I have noticed from Miralax, is the stool has a horrible smell. I hope there is no long term side effects from miralax cause. This product has been a life saver for me. My doctor tells me it's totally safe cause it stays in your Gi track the whole time. Simply in and out, Repeat!”

sk_sen · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2012

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I had been backed up for at least half a year when things went from bad to worse. The last two months, I was lucky to go once a week. My stool was so hard and big that it hurt to much to go. My doctor prescribed Miralax to me and it started to work a little. Then, she recommended I take two cap fulls in two cups of water instead of one in one. After a day or two, I went to go and it literally went from 100% bad to 100% great. I was not only able to go but it didn't hurt at all. It was so amazing to finally not be in pain that I literally cried. I would absolutely recommend this product to anyone with that kind of constipation.”

Anonymous May 27, 2014

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “My experience with Miralax was above and beyond amazing. ...unlike any other. ...after suffering from constipation all my life and after trying every single method and being hospitalized. ..and dealing with several other issues due to my constipation such as anemia, under weight. I was put on Miralax. At first I didn't want to take it because it was slow but my doctor explained to me that it's supposed to help me go to the restroom on my own and that's exactly what I've been doing for 5 years now ...(I went from having a bowel movement every three weeks to every other day and now daily on my own. I still take Miralax but only randomly)”

Theeshannons · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2021

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I took the normal adult dosage of Miralax because the medication I’m on for my Gastroparesis is making me constipated. Here it is around 4 hours later and I’m nauseous, dizzy, my heart rate is up over 100, and my stomach hurts. Plus I am still constipated. I’m laying in bed on a sunny, beautiful day when I could be outside because I can’t even lift my head up off my pillow without being dizzy and nauseous. I’m never taking this stuff again!!”

AF91 July 18, 2013

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I had a partial bowel obstruction and could not go. I tried several other laxatives, stool softener, prune juice, enema, fiber gimmes, everything I could think of and nothing worked! I could only poop water. I tired Miralax and within 2 days the obstruction started breaking down and within 1 week I started pooping normal! I was scared I was going to have surgery. I highly recommend this product.”

Feelingbetternow October 15, 2013

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “FINALLY! My whole life I've had a problem going number 2 so much so I would only go 2-3 times the entire month. These past few months however things took a turn for the worse. My poop became severely impacted. I would push and push for hours only to get a pea sized amount out. I couldn't sleep because I could feel the pain and pressure there. It was bad. I tried liquid laxatives you drink and they did the trick but the second they wore off the constipation and pain was back. Then I heard about Miralax and had my fianc”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 19, 2019

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I suddenly developed severe constipation. I suffered for months before I went to the doctor. She told me to take Miralax. It didn't work initially, so she said to take it more often, like 2 times a day. I did that and still nothing. So, she told me try 4 times a day - and voila! A miracle. Now I'm back down to once a day now - but it's the best thing that happened to me this year!”

DJ · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 25, 2019

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “Digestive problems run in my family. I personally suffer from chronic constipation, no matter how much water I drink or fiber I consume, I still have constipation. Miralax is the ONLY med that relieves my constipation without pain or discomfort. I always know it is reliable and help produce a passable BM within hours for me. If I am very constipated sometimes it’ll take about a day to go into effect. My doctor has prescribed it to me in the past but it is easiest if I buy it in bulk at a store instead of getting refills. On days I am not constipated, I continue to use it at half strength to keep it in my system and things running smoothly. I’d recommend this to anyone who suffers from constipation.”

otherwisehealthy12 · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2021

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I have battled constipation on and off for over 20 years. Recently it has gotten bad again no matter how much water I drink or how much fiber is in my diet. I workout 6 times a week and for the most part eat really healthy. My doctor recommended I take Miralax. It has been pure nightmare. Yes it worked, but if I even feel slightly gassy I had better get to the bathroom fast. I have not had a solid bowel movement in over 2 weeks, (I stopped taking the miralax a week ago) I am gassy, poopy and have to buy stock in flushable wipes as I've gone through so many. It's like "fire in the hole." I would have thought after being off this medicine for a week things would have gotten back to normal, but it is anything but normal. I can't even go on a car ride for more than an hour as I need access to a bathroom at all times. I took it once a day and did not exceed the recommended dosage.”

IPoopedToday · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 9, 2014

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I have gastroperesis and rarely have a bowel movement on my own. I've gone 3 weeks easily without a bowel movement. It's to the point that when I do go on my own, we know that I am severely constipated and that it HAS to come out. (Abdominal xrays continuously show I'm backed up, even after going). Miralax is not a "miracle medicine" for me. It works, but only after a few days time. However, considering that typical laxatives only cause me gas and bloating, but no relief, I can't really complain. Magnesium citrate, Linzess, Reglan, Amitiza have all failed me. This is the only relief that I can ever get.”

Anonymous May 1, 2008

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “My colorectal surgeon prescribed Miralax to help with severe constipation that has been a problem for me since birth. I have an illness that causes nerve damage which has altered the proper functioning of the intestinal tract. I have had great success with the Miralax and have a much better quality of life now. Was reluctant to use other laxatives before for fear of dependence, but my doctor assures me Miralax does not cause dependence. I'm very pleased.”

505nm July 30, 2013

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “My daughter has been taking Miralax since she was 5. Prior to starting the Miralax regimen, my daughter would suffer from daily stomach pain. She was finally diagnosed with a chronic constipation problem and put on Miralax. She has been using it for four years now and very rarely complains anymore (if at all). You may have to play with dosage from time to time. She started on a heavy dose and we were then able to taper down to a much smaller one. We are happy with how it has helped her. Of course, we would love it if she didn't have to use anything at all! But we are very grateful to have something that helps her so much. She doesn't have any side effects from it--that is another positive about this product. Give Miralax a try.”

Ctblue57 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 6, 2014

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “Since December I've had chronic constipation and weight loss. Was taking Miralax intermittently for the months following. Twice I had to take magnesium citrate as if preparing for a colonoscopy because I couldn't go at all. Since then I took Miralax every day until June when my general practitioner doctor and gastrointestinal doctor's office recommended Linzess. I stopped Miralax, took Linzess for a week. I couldn't go for a full week! The magnesium citrate didn't help this time, so I ended up in the hospital for treatment. I asked for Miralax while I was in the hospital, they complied. I discontinued Linzess and have been back on Miralax for 2 weeks. Things are now working satisfactorily again. I will not give up Miralax again.”

mnugentlee July 11, 2007

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “Schering-Plough announced on March 28, 2007 that prescription-strength MiraLAX® (polyethylene glycol 3350) is now available as an over-the-counter treatment for occasional constipation. The innovative formula of MiraLAX works with the body to increase the frequency of bowel movements without causing the side effects of cramps and gas. MiraLAX allows a comfortable, easy and complete bowel movement. MiraLAX has a strong safety profile and is not known to be habit forming.”

Mitber · Taken for less than 1 month October 28, 2016

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “My husband swears you will poop a paper clip from when you were 3 years old. He wouldn't be surprised if after this miracle drug, you happened to also see a lego in there. You won't be disappointed.It really works”

Chrisphan · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 6, 2014

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “When taking Miralax daily it's very effective in moving your bowls. The only down side is that it takes a few days for it to start working but once it starts working you'll feel a lot better! I stopped using it because I thought I wouldn't get constipated again bad choice I got constipated it's because of the medicines I take (painkillers) anyways I recommend you take it once a day or one every other day to keep from getting constipated. Miralax works just give it time and don't miss a dose of you get severely constipated like I do!”

Happy girl June 23, 2018

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I've had constipation my whole life! I've had to watch everything that I've eaten and avoid all red meat, rice, bagels or anything else that might clog me up. The past 10 years, I've done water enemas once or twice a week. I talked to a doctor about 2 months ago during emergency visit severe stomach pain. He recommended Miralax, and I rolled my eyes because I've been on every kind of laxative there is on the market... Pain, gas, diarrhea all that stuff. The first night I poured the dose into a cup of tea and drink it down. The next morning I completely emptied out. No cramps, no pain, just emptied out. The doctor said I could take it every night or even twice a day... Indefinitely! I've taken it every night with a big cup of herbal tea and every morning after my first cup of coffee I go to the bathroom and just go. I feel like what I've heard normal people feel like. I have great days and a sense of calm, even working at a stressful job! LOL I don't ever want to be without this...”

Neanerz1025 November 13, 2014

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “A few years back I was hospitalized with a bowel obstruction. Once I left the hospital, my bowel movements have been irregular. I couldn't make a movement in over 3 weeks. I was force to take stool softeners (which never worked) and Dulcalax laxatives (which did worked but I became constipated after it wore off) I went to the doctor and they suggest I try Miralax. I gave it a try, when 1 day past, it only gave me gas. 2nd day past, more gas. On the 3rd day with Miralax, I was able to have a bowel movement. I was very happy because, when I take Dulcolax I had cramps and had to have the toilet on standby all day. Miralax was a painless soft stool which relieved pressure of constipation. And I started having regular movements.”