User Reviews for Phenobarbital

Also known as: Luminal, Solfoton

Learn more about Phenobarbital.

Hyperbilirubinemia 1 reviews 2 medications

Seizures 12 reviews 49 medications

8.5
Insomnia 1 reviews 106 medications

7.5
Sedation 1 reviews 38 medications

Summary of Phenobarbital reviews 15 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Phenobarbital

For Seizures: "Not working right"

Hahahahahaha July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures: "On phenobarbital from age of 2 to 8, because I passed out in the high chair, probably hyperventilated. I was giving dose before bed every night. I couldn't fall asleep till nearly morning. As an adult, on meth for 20 years. I don't know if there is a connection or not, but no one else in my family is an addict. I don't mean to whine, just telling my experience."

some idiot (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures: "I am now 78 yrs old. Have taken 15mg in AM, 30mg at PM since 1960's. December 13 Neurologist told me to eliminate the AM, take only PM. 'Because it might affect my liver.' Dizziness on December 18,19, 20. December 21, chest pains, December 23 to ER for chest pains. Given Imdur. ER scheduled Stress Test, It showed no heart condition. Dec 30,chest pains again. ER doctor suggested med for Vertigo. Slight relief. Cardiologist suggested a MRI but suspected it was withdrawal of Phenobarbital. Cardiologist said to contact Neurologist who did not return my call 'because she was on vacation.' Pharmacist called her office, got original Phenobarbital and I felt immediate relief. Lesson: you know your own body!"

jls56 (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luminal (phenobarbital) for Seizures: "Taking for over 20 years. Controls generalized seizure activity. No known side effects. Took during pregnancy w/ little issue (child had to be weaned off after birth)."

PollyAS December 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures: "I have been taking phenobarbital since the 1980's. I tried many other meds first and the side effects were terrible. Finally, my neurosurgeon decided to try phenobarbitol. It made me very drowsy at first. I take it at bedtime. It has worked for me for decades. Every time I see a doctor I get the same old "that's an old drug. We should change it". NO THANK YOU. Insurance company wants me to try "step therapy". They don't know what they are doing. You can't just switch these meds. You have to wean off. I pay full price. Thank goodness it doesn't break the bank. Great medication, even if it is old."

vlee (taken for 10 years or more) November 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "I don't really know"

Doody booty October 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have severe insomnia. I've tried dozens of benzos, z-drugs, and natural supplements, and this is the only medication I've taken that allows me to fall asleep before midnight. I got a solid 5 hours of sleep on Phenobarbital. I didn't like though how I woke up so early in the morning... I feel my best when I get 8 hours of sleep. I probably need a higher dose next time"

YahYouBetchaa (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures: "I have never had side effects nor adverse reactions when taking phenobarbital. I take it responsibly, as directed. I have been on it for at least 60 years."

FrancisE November 11, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures: "Had epilepsy since 14 now way over 60 and been on phenobarbitone all my life. Doctors have tried new ones on me but they had side effects whereas Phenobarbitone have been good for me. Epanutin caused gums shrinking and were bad for my liver. Now been put on Keppra and I cannot keep awake and ear hurts. Docs leave my pills alone please."

Winkeys (taken for 10 years or more) December 6, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luminal (phenobarbital) for Seizures: "No real severe side effects,and works well with no mood altering properties.recommended+"

gammasbaby (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 20, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperbilirubinemia: "Took care of it after a couple days."

Anonymous April 4, 2010

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures: "I have been taking it for 15 years and no major side effects. Even took it while pregnant. The doctors recommended as a safe medicine to control seizure and my baby was fine and I was fine. Thank God!"

Anonymous September 7, 2009

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures: "Taken this medicine for decades and so far no sides effects or damage to the liver. Works very well if taken daily at or near the exact time."

lacbos June 14, 2009

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures: "It has worked for me. Other seizure medicines caused me severe side effects. It does make me sleepy, so I take it prior to going to bed at night. Otherwise no side effects or alterations in behavior."

mayohetty April 6, 2009

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures: "I'm taking it since 1966 without any side effects."

Anonymous December 28, 2008