User Reviews for Phenobarbital to treat Seizures

Phenobarbital Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Phenobarbital

Qloe · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 11, 2020

“IDK but ever since iIve had a seizure and started taking this medicine, i feel sad, irritable, and angry. but it works! I've never had a second seizure!”

Bond · Taken for 10 years or more February 2, 2020

“Started taking in 1973 now I’m 66 years old. Yes we all hear this is an old drug. I am also On 2 other seizure meds. Completely under Control ! No issue with phenobarbital!!! Tried to wean off one time on my life and that Was a big mistake. So give me the phenobarbital!! Take my dose at night. If you are on it stay on it !!!”

You Know Who I Am · Taken for 10 years or more November 13, 2019

“I started taking phenobarbital back in the early 80's when I had a seizure and haven't had one since. They first started me on Dilantin and Tegretol, but none of these worked even taking both of them together did nothing. The first dose of phenobarbital ,100mg at night, that I took and I was seizure free. Lately these new doctors have tried taking me off of it for newer medications but the newer meds have horrible side effects which I do not get with Phenobarbital. Heck, I never had any side effects with Phenobarbital. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'll take my 60 year old medication any day over these newer ones like Keppra.”

Laig September 13, 2019

“I have taken phenobarbital since I was 4 years old .25mg. They raised it 15 years ago to .34mg. Doc. Told me the .25 wasn't doing anything for me and took me off it. 9 months later I had a grand mal seizure and went back on to phenobarbital. I don't want anything else. My sister 2 times has asked what I'm on for friends of hers who son has seizure and they couldn't get them under control. He is now doing good on phenobarbital.”

Michigan April 1, 2019

“I have had a seizure disorder since the age of 15 and am now 50 years old. I have been on phenobarbital the entire time until just recently. My state (Michigan) instituted an across the board requirement for all people on controlled drugs to take a mandatory urine drug test and physical, the cost of which is not covered by insurance. Last year, I paid $300 out of pocket just to be able to get my prescription filled. So, this year, I decided I would try to save some cash and asked my doctor to put me on a drug that wasn't on the list of controlled substances. We decided on Keppra, and I took it for one week. BIG mistake! I had severe dizziness, couldn't sleep and felt like I was having auras all day and night. Luckily, I didn't have any seizures on Keppra, but my problems vanished when my doctor put be back on phenobarbital. Phenobarbital may be a controlled substance and costly to get in Michigan due to the drug testing requirements but it sure works well for me.”

LACBOS · Taken for 10 years or more July 2, 2018

“I have taken phenobarbital medication prescribed by my Dr. for over three decades and if taken daily at the same time or one hour earlier or later from the previous day it works very well. Now what I have noticed is that if you take your medication the following day and are 4 - 6 hours late you might have a seizure due to fact that the medication drop significantly. This is why you must take medication daily at approximately the same time in order for medication to work very well. One more fact your medication levels will need to be checked periodically in order for the medication to work. Think of medication as chlorine in a pool of water and the chlorine must be enough and checked often in order for pool water be clean and clear.”

Big nailey · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2018

“It was ok at first but the second day I couldn’t stop shaking”

JustMyBody February 16, 2018

“Had GrandMal seizure early 1980s. No seizures before. Started on Phenytoin & Phenobarbital added later. Neurologist decided it was "old time medicine", switched me to Topamax. Felt weird, doc did nothing. In 5 months I blacked out walking down sidewalk of major road. Totaled car on interstate at rush hour. Blacked out standing at work. Every time I awoke in hospital. I refused to leave hospital last time saying "I want my old time medicine back that works for me or I will live in hospital lobby". I got old time meds back and fired doc. I know my body. Cash price Pheno in 1980s was maybe $5. Now $100. Why? But I will pay to remain seizure free!”

Tracylnf January 26, 2018

“I have been on phenobarbital for 35 years as well worked VERY well doctors kept saying drug hard on body and I should change it. So one day I listened and started taking lamotrigine was the worst move ever in my life had issues entire time on them and seizures got worse. I finally went back to phenobarbital and long very rough year and have not been same since. IF IT works don't change it”

Hahahahahaha July 29, 2017

“Not working right”

some idiot · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 24, 2017

“On phenobarbital from age of 2 to 8, because I passed out in the high chair, probably hyperventilated. I was giving dose before bed every night. I couldn't fall asleep till nearly morning. As an adult, on meth for 20 years. I don't know if there is a connection or not, but no one else in my family is an addict. I don't mean to whine, just telling my experience.”

jls56 · Taken for 10 years or more January 7, 2017

“I am now 78 yrs old. Have taken 15mg in AM, 30mg at PM since 1960's. December 13 Neurologist told me to eliminate the AM, take only PM. 'Because it might affect my liver.' Dizziness on December 18,19, 20. December 21, chest pains, December 23 to ER for chest pains. Given Imdur. ER scheduled Stress Test, It showed no heart condition. Dec 30,chest pains again. ER doctor suggested med for Vertigo. Slight relief. Cardiologist suggested a MRI but suspected it was withdrawal of Phenobarbital. Cardiologist said to contact Neurologist who did not return my call 'because she was on vacation.' Pharmacist called her office, got original Phenobarbital and I felt immediate relief. Lesson: you know your own body!”

PollyAS December 2, 2016

Luminal (phenobarbital): “Taking for over 20 years. Controls generalized seizure activity. No known side effects. Took during pregnancy w/ little issue (child had to be weaned off after birth).”

vlee · Taken for 10 years or more November 2, 2016

“I have been taking phenobarbital since the 1980's. I tried many other meds first and the side effects were terrible. Finally, my neurosurgeon decided to try phenobarbitol. It made me very drowsy at first. I take it at bedtime. It has worked for me for decades. Every time I see a doctor I get the same old "that's an old drug. We should change it". NO THANK YOU. Insurance company wants me to try "step therapy". They don't know what they are doing. You can't just switch these meds. You have to wean off. I pay full price. Thank goodness it doesn't break the bank. Great medication, even if it is old.”

FrancisE November 11, 2015

“I have never had side effects nor adverse reactions when taking phenobarbital. I take it responsibly, as directed. I have been on it for at least 60 years.”

Winkeys · Taken for 10 years or more December 6, 2014

“Had epilepsy since 14 now way over 60 and been on phenobarbitone all my life. Doctors have tried new ones on me but they had side effects whereas Phenobarbitone have been good for me. Epanutin caused gums shrinking and were bad for my liver. Now been put on Keppra and I cannot keep awake and ear hurts. Docs leave my pills alone please.”

gammasbaby · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 20, 2014

Luminal (phenobarbital): “No real severe side effects,and works well with no mood altering properties.recommended+”

Anonymous September 7, 2009

“I have been taking it for 15 years and no major side effects. Even took it while pregnant. The doctors recommended as a safe medicine to control seizure and my baby was fine and I was fine. Thank God!”

lacbos June 14, 2009

“Taken this medicine for decades and so far no sides effects or damage to the liver. Works very well if taken daily at or near the exact time.”

mayohetty April 6, 2009

“It has worked for me. Other seizure medicines caused me severe side effects. It does make me sleepy, so I take it prior to going to bed at night. Otherwise no side effects or alterations in behavior.”

Anonymous December 28, 2008

“I'm taking it since 1966 without any side effects.”