User Reviews for Penicillin v potassium

Also known as: Penicillin VK

Penicillin v potassium has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 35 ratings on Drugs.com. 61% of those users who reviewed Penicillin v potassium reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Rat-bite Fever   9.0
Streptococcal Infection   5.0
Summary of Penicillin v potassium reviews 6.6 35 reviews

Reviews for Penicillin v potassium

Banks111 · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2020

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium) for Bacterial Infection: “I don't like the Penicillin VK pill I was taking this for swollen gums and a bad tooth and it made me depressed, feverish, weak, and a slight headache, and it did not seem to work much on gums as soon as I stop taking I felt better”

Seajay · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Dentist prescribed this penicillin v medication because the tip of a root canal had broken off and caused an infection. I took 500 mg four times per day for 7 days. At the end of the 7 days, both legs were swollen from the ankle to the hip and it was difficult and painful to walk. My PCP prescribed a mild diuretic to reduce the swelling, but I continued to have severe knee pain. The swollen knees led to an arthritic flare up. As a result, the severe pain still exists nearly four weeks after the initial swelling. My PCP and physical therapist said It was the potassium that caused all the swelling and pain. Will not take this drug again in the future.”

tab · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2020

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium) for Bacterial Infection: “I always lose my appetite with Penicillin VK medication. I also get diarrhea but its a small price to pay for healing!”

Naomi · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I was prescribed penicillin antibiotic after having a root canal. I was taking 3 pills of 500 mg a day for about 10 days. After about 5 days of taking it, I started having palpitations, night sweats and cold feet. This drug is not for me.”

JS13501 · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2020

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: “I don’t know if anyone else has had this issue, but this medication Penicillin VK gave me side effect symptoms of bad headaches, body aches, stomach cramps, cold feet and numb feet?? It was good for clearing up stuff the tonsillitis, I still don’t feel that great, but has stopped me feeling so rubbish. I wouldn’t take this medication again though due to the side affects”

Jade May 31, 2020

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium) for Bacterial Infection: “I was taking penicillin for strep throat 4 times a day every 6 hours. The second day I started to feel weird like confused.. my dr told me to take it for 10 days but I hated the side effects. I feel like this medication triggered me to feel anxiety and depression.”

BRange · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: “I was prescribed these penicillin VK antibiotics for my throat. For a few days before, I was in excruciating pain, unable to swallow, eat, or sleep due to the pain. I tried almost every home remedy for a sore throat but found no relief. The only thing that seemed to help a little was ibuprofen (when I could swallow it). At the doctor, they gave me a small dose of a liquid steroid to shrink my tonsils and then prescribed the medication. Within an hour of taking it, I was able to swallow with mild pain. I even had a popsicle and a bowl of chicken broth. I then went on to sleep 8 hours! I am only 2 days in so I still have awhile to go, but I am so happy with the results so far!”

Thackary Binx · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

For Streptococcal Infection: “works miracles”

KriCro · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2019

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium) for Bacterial Infection: “I'm taking this for a tooth infection that started to spread. My lymph nodes were very painful and swollen. This med makes me feel dizzy, anxious and a pressure in my head. It reminds me of taking cold medications. I hate that part of it. But, it also seems to be fighting this tooth infection. My tooth and lymph nodes are not hurting as bad, and swelling has gone down. Still have a few days left though.”

erfan · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2019

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: “I took this after I got very bad tonsilitis with white spots and I had tried to do home remedies and improve it if its virus but it was bacteria and i had very painful tonsils so I got the antibiotics pills from the doctor for 3 times a day for 10 days Today is the 3rd day and the white spots are better and I am better now. The first 2 days there was no difference but 3rd day it started to clear up”

Rach · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2019

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: “I was in so much pain. I spoke to the doctor who said it was fine, that it would ease up in a couple of days and that I didn't need antibiotics because it was viral. I went 2 more days and the pain only got worse. I went to the walk in centre for a second opinion and the doctor there told me if my tonsils got more swollen I needed to go to A&E. She prescribed my with penicillin saying she wasn't sure it would work because she couldn’t see any white spots but she was concerned the infection was inside. I took my first dose and 4 hours later the sharp edge of the pain had been reduced and I could swallow my own saliva again! I can already tell I will be almost healed by the time 24 hours rolls past!”

Vanessa · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2019

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium) for Bacterial Infection: “I was diagnosed with BV and was prescribed Penicillin and MetroGel. I’ve had worse BV in the past and no side effects from the pills I took but these ohmygosh I give 5 stars only because I know the medicine is working but the way I’ve been feeling the last week is such a drag. My body is achy and I feel extremely tired and not to exaggerate but even a little depressed and can’t focus and it’s effected my memory. Makes me feel like I just want to lay in bed. The smell of the pills is foul and my urine smells like the pills. I understand antibiotics make you tired from them working but I’ve never felt so lethargic before and I drink plenty of water and I eat very healthy. If I ever get BV again I hope I don’t have to take Penicillin I’m not giving negative review it’s just how my body reacted to it everyone is different.”

Neicy · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2019

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium) for Bacterial Infection: “Peniccillin worked great for me. I had a tooth infection. I felt better a few hours after starting it. Pain was gone. I took it 4 times a day (500 mg)”

siswollan · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: “I had barely any side effects on this, and my strep throat went away within two days of taking it. Sore throat, swollen tonsils, and swollen lymph nodes were all gone. The only side effects I had were some loose motions, mild stomach cramping like gas pains, and headache. But my appetite was normal, no nausea/vomiting, and was able to continue on with my normal life throughout this medication. I was allergic to it as a kid (got hives all over my body), so I was nervous about taking it, but it seems that I grew out of the allergy.”

fearmedsnow · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2019

For Streptococcal Infection: “I took 1 pill. Hours later began cramping and having extreme pain while urinating. The feeling of having to urinate would not stop. Couldn't sleep. Began bleeding while urinating during the night. (first time that has ever happened to me) Will never take this med. again. Symptoms disappeared after 12 hrs.”

Tobli · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2018

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium) for Pneumonia: “This had no effect on my pneumonia. I was worse after 2 days.”

Major Sighd Effex · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “Had a surgery recently and was sent home with this medication to take for post op. Prescription was 4 pills a day... Had a weeks supply. Day 2 I'm severely light headed, feeling like I'm going to faint any time I move. I was off and on nauseous. My body felt extremely weak. I typically had chills and cold sweats about an hour after taking the pill every time I took it. I also experienced minor difficulty breathing, as if my breathing was suddenly off rhythm and shallow. I stopped taking the medication on day 3 and fully recovered. Not the pill for me.”

HV April 3, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: “Experienced cold hands feet then increased blood supply to hands and feet. Felt ill....never again. Taken antihistamine as suggested.”

Tarragon83 December 30, 2017

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: “I think this medication killed my appetite. Also, my kidneys went crazy and I immediately flushed out every consumed liquid. As a result, I lost enough potassium by day 4 to get strange heart beats, twitches, racing thoughts and purple lips. I had to go to the ER where they hydrated me with IV saline and gave me 2 potassium pills. I could not recover from this for a couple of months. Make sure to read about hypokalemia and recognize it as it is potentially fatal. I am not giving this drug a score because I was misdiagnosed.”

madi6 · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2017

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: “I started to take this twice for two weeks and my feet and hands started to insanely peel. I guess I'm allergic to penicillin????”

Rodnecia July 21, 2017

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium) for Bacterial Infection: “This medicine has my mood going up and down and my pee is less and my vagina is sore”

msbeautifulll68 · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2017

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium) for Bacterial Infection: “This is my first time taking such a high dosage of this medicine, which was usual for me but I had abad tooth ache. I have taken penicillin before but at a lower dosage, however this new med has a higher dosage and the side effects are bothersome. I do not truly feel it is worth continuing to take. I'm consulting the doctor that prescribed the med to me from our local hospital's ER.”

dannyw January 25, 2017

For Streptococcal Infection: “Was prescribed Penicillin Kv for strep twice a day 500mg, am now 5 days into it and the strep pain has been totally cured however the stomach cramps from the medicine are almost enough to make me quit the medicine itself.”

Bunnybuns December 15, 2016

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium) for Bacterial Infection: “Honestly, I felt better about 4 hours after begging treatment with this for an infected/abcessed tooth. Surprisingly quick, considering the amount of pain I was in. The downside, for me at least, seems to be slight nausea/dizziness. I had taken ibuprofen earlier due to pain, so this meant bad times in front of the toilet. Be careful with other meds that may upset your stomach.”

Jlaninja · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: “I used this drug for an infection in my wisdom teeth. It caused a false positive on a drug test. I don't do drugs and I am not around them.”