User Reviews for Penicillin v potassium to treat Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis

Also known as: Penicillin VK

Penicillin v potassium has an average rating of 8.4 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis. 88% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Penicillin v potassium Rating Summary

8.4/10 average rating

Compare all 42 medications used in the treatment of Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis.

Reviews for Penicillin v potassium

BRange · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium): “I was prescribed these penicillin VK antibiotics for my throat. For a few days before, I was in excruciating pain, unable to swallow, eat, or sleep due to the pain. I tried almost every home remedy for a sore throat but found no relief. The only thing that seemed to help a little was ibuprofen (when I could swallow it). At the doctor, they gave me a small dose of a liquid steroid to shrink my tonsils and then prescribed the medication. Within an hour of taking it, I was able to swallow with mild pain. I even had a popsicle and a bowl of chicken broth. I then went on to sleep 8 hours! I am only 2 days in so I still have awhile to go, but I am so happy with the results so far!”

Rach · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2019

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium): “I was in so much pain. I spoke to the doctor who said it was fine, that it would ease up in a couple of days and that I didn't need antibiotics because it was viral. I went 2 more days and the pain only got worse. I went to the walk in centre for a second opinion and the doctor there told me if my tonsils got more swollen I needed to go to A&E. She prescribed my with penicillin saying she wasn't sure it would work because she couldn’t see any white spots but she was concerned the infection was inside. I took my first dose and 4 hours later the sharp edge of the pain had been reduced and I could swallow my own saliva again! I can already tell I will be almost healed by the time 24 hours rolls past!”

erfan · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2019

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium): “I took this after I got very bad tonsilitis with white spots and I had tried to do home remedies and improve it if its virus but it was bacteria and i had very painful tonsils so I got the antibiotics pills from the doctor for 3 times a day for 10 days Today is the 3rd day and the white spots are better and I am better now. The first 2 days there was no difference but 3rd day it started to clear up”

JS13501 · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2020

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium): “I don’t know if anyone else has had this issue, but this medication Penicillin VK gave me side effect symptoms of bad headaches, body aches, stomach cramps, cold feet and numb feet?? It was good for clearing up stuff the tonsillitis, I still don’t feel that great, but has stopped me feeling so rubbish. I wouldn’t take this medication again though due to the side affects”

esky · Taken for less than 1 month July 28, 2021

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium): “I think its the 1st time having these - the fact you need to take a 500mg pill on an empty stomach cause me to feel nauseous and can smell \ taste the medication if I do a burp. Tonsillitis is better tho !”

Tarragon83 December 30, 2017

“I think this medication killed my appetite. Also, my kidneys went crazy and I immediately flushed out every consumed liquid. As a result, I lost enough potassium by day 4 to get strange heart beats, twitches, racing thoughts and purple lips. I had to go to the ER where they hydrated me with IV saline and gave me 2 potassium pills. I could not recover from this for a couple of months. Make sure to read about hypokalemia and recognize it as it is potentially fatal. I am not giving this drug a score because I was misdiagnosed.”

siswollan · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

“I had barely any side effects on this, and my strep throat went away within two days of taking it. Sore throat, swollen tonsils, and swollen lymph nodes were all gone. The only side effects I had were some loose motions, mild stomach cramping like gas pains, and headache. But my appetite was normal, no nausea/vomiting, and was able to continue on with my normal life throughout this medication. I was allergic to it as a kid (got hives all over my body), so I was nervous about taking it, but it seems that I grew out of the allergy.”

george123456789 May 16, 2008

“Very effective”

vickstar August 7, 2011

“I had a really bad dose of Tonsilitis, was in bed for 4 days! The penicillin V hit it on the head within 2 days!”

madi6 · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2017

Penicillin VK (penicillin v potassium): “I started to take this twice for two weeks and my feet and hands started to insanely peel. I guess I'm allergic to penicillin????”

DaniBoy February 6, 2011

“I got the shot at night and saw no results that night, but I could tell a drastic difference in the morning as far as the infection goes (pain was not changed).”

Learn more about Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis