User Reviews for Invega Sustenna to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Invega Sustenna has an average rating of 4.1 out of 10 from a total of 55 ratings for the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder. 27% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 55% reported a negative effect.

Invega Sustenna Rating Summary

4.1/10 average rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Invega Sustenna

SadCanadian999 · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 17, 2021

“I was prescribed Invega Sustenna on my 5th hospital stay for bipolar and schizoaffective episodes. I wasn’t responding to the oral medications and I have compliance issues with taking oral meds anyway. Like most people who have already commented, my experience with this drug have been horrible. Yes, it stopped the hallucinations but it has robbed me of my emotions, I feel flat all the time, I gained weight, my hair fell out, I lost my sex drive and my ability to orgasm, I have anhedonia and avolition, I cannot socialize anymore, I can barely contribute to a conversation, I’m barely caring for myself (not cooking, not cleaning)....I am like a child. This medication is terrible in my opinion, I would not recommend it. I’d rather live with the occasional hallucination, then all of the side effects Invega has caused.”

Janac August 31, 2019

“I honestly feel like I've been misdiagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, but I've been taking this medication for almost two years. Currently at 117mg every four weeks. I feel like I've become a completely different person than before I started Invega Sustenna. I have no passion for anything, no emotion, no ideas or input or anything to say to anyone, and my energy for life overall is just flat. So flat. I constantly feel like I only do things to appease people and appear like a normal person. Only the people closest to me, like my family, recognize that I'm no longer the person I used to be. I have hopes that I'll be able to stop this medication someday... and that when I stop, I'll be able to recollect whatever is left of who I used to be. I don't know if I'd recommend this medication. But if you ever find yourself on it, take note of your side effects earlier on so you have record of it to tell your psychiatrist. Then maybe stopping will be easier, if that's what you want to do.”

Toomey March 27, 2020

“I have schizo affective disorder and I have been on the Invega Sustenna drug for a year now and I love it. It is the only drug that has ever worked for me . It took my symptoms alway totally. It has changed my life. The only side effects I have had is it makes my mouth dry. I can definitely live with that. All the other drugs have had horrible side effects. My future is looking great because of this drug. I feel it is the that this is the best drug on the market.”

beck · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 23, 2020

“I've been on this drug Invega Sustenna for the last 5 years. I've gained 65 lbs, I'm 5'4" tall. I'm restless, have liver problems, memory problems. I don't know which symptoms it is treating. I do not hallucinate. I originally got diagnosed with bipolar disorder 23 years ago, because I could not sleep at night. This drug is horrible and there are no benefits from it.”

Ellie_thurston · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2019

“I have felt very tired and just lethargic and lost interest in the Bible which I once loved with a great passion. No one will take me at my word and have tried to get off this medication but the doctor and my family won't let me even after I told them how much I don't like it. I have no periods have high prolactin and hand tremors in my right hand. Feel like sleeping all the time and would do anything to stop taking this medication. It is poison and should be taken off the market and never given to anyone. I'd rather hear voices than feel like I do on this medication. ”

poopmeds20 · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

“This medication is the worst. Do not take it. You will have no feelings, no thoughts, no sex drive. Please do not take this drug in any circumstance. It does not help at all. It actually makes you worse. It makes you lose your mind on the daily. It makes you hallucinate daily. You don't want that. Do not take this medication in shot or pill form. 0 stars. Horrible drug. Way too expensive and does not work at all.”

Doug · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2021

“Destroyed my life beyond belief. Found out it can take up to a year or even longer to leave the body. Close to 40 year old and now live in my parents house because I'm unable to work or do other activities. Absolutely horrible experience. I'm on CTO but got switched to Abilify, when I tried to explain how Invega was so bad for me the nurses and psych blamed my symptoms instead of this horrible med. Was bed bound for a full month and thought I was going die unable to breath. It destroys your soul, body and your social life. Invega sustenna probably means ''sustain the vegetable'' that's what it turns you into for up to a year or longer. IT SHOULD BE BANNED”

Finally Well · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 24, 2019

“I was in denial about my illness for about 8 years before I finally went to the hospital by police escort (with the help of my family). I had lost my marriage, couldn’t do my job, and I couldn’t figure out why all this was happening to me. The doctor at the hospital ordered the Invega Sustenna injection and it completely turned my life around. 5 years later, I’m in a great relationship, and I’ve been able to go back to school earning A’s in my classes. People like me again. I did try to go off of the medication last year with the help of my doctor to see if having children would be possible. We have to do more homework on our options because I was only able to stay off for 6 months after the taper. For me, I’m very thankful for this medication. Yes, I gained 20 pounds, but that isn’t terrible when I consider that I’m no longer hurting the people who care about me.”

Juno666 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2019

“If you want your life back and want to finally quit hearing the voices, believing the delusions that persist in your head and just be able to live a “normal” life then this medications absolutely. You will over eat, gain a little weight, have restless night and sleep all afternoon, you will have restless leg syndrome where you just can’t sit still. It takes about a month and half for side effects to diminish. I’m so thankful to finally be happy again and be able to hold down a job. Those dark voices are gone. I don’t read a news article and believe I spoke to the president of the United States personally anymore. Now I wake up every day with just a calm, happy persona both internally and externally. The best part is that it’s only a once a month injection. I’ll tell you that on the day of the shot I do still get a littler dizzy and tired so I usually request off the entire day so I can relax. But even my family has noticed the huge change in me.”

NK November 18, 2019

“At first it didn't seem that bad taking invega. I got the shot once a month. I was in the psych ward for paranoia and delusions. Hallucinations had subsided. They told me they would hold me at the V.A. for four months if I didn't take the shot. They used psychological manipulation to get me to "agree." Six months later I'm 60 lbs overweight, depressed, and tired beyond belief. All I want to do is lay down and close my eyes. Today I woke up about 11:00 am, got out of bed for an hour, went and laid back down till about 4 pm, then got up to make myself something to eat, then laid down till 6, got up for another hour then right back to bed. This is my daily routine on this nightmarish drug. I'm taking one class in school and can't afford to withdraw off of it right now, but in a month I will graduate and finally get off this terrible drug forever. It makes me want to do nothing in life nor could I work taking this medication. It has ruined a year of my life. I'd rather have symptoms.”

Franky · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 14, 2018

“Do not take this medicine. So far I have lost all my ambition, energy, personality, and my emotions. I am tired all the time, and have random muscle spasms all through my body. It makes it really hard to feel things, I feel like I have to try to feel things it's really weird. I have been taking the injection for 6 months now and I'm a complete zombie, I have no social life, sex drive, and imagination. This medicine destroys the human body, it is poison and needs to be discontinued. I'd much rather hear voices and hallucinate then be on this medication.”

IchigoKurosaki · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 25, 2020

“I have taken this drug Invega Sustenna for a few years and while it did help to stabilize my mood, It completely got rid of my sex drive and sperm production. I will no longer be taking this horrible abomination of a drug and will instead rely on people who I am close to for support. P.S. On a side note, Now that I have been off this medication for a few months I have noticed my sex drive is back!”

Dirty D · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 20, 2019

“I was placed on invega Sustenna after having a violent psychotic episode. I attempted suicide in a very violent manner and went back to the psych ward after surgery. They placed me on 156mg injection once a month. Since being on the injection I’ve experienced slight weight gain, loss of euphoria I used to get from using drugs like alcohol, weed, amphetamines, benzodiazepines, and also the inability to “trip” from using psychedelics. Also, loss of sex drive. Most importantly though...I no longer have the constant thoughts of wanting to end my life or hurt others. All things said though, I have decided to remain on invega injections, sacrificing all the wonderful highs I used to get from dope because I’m afraid that if I stop taking invega I might have another psychotic break, and that the BEAST inside me could drive me to commit violence on myself or others. If invega makes me non-violent, non-sexual, docile, and stable then I say it is a good drug.”

Morkovkay · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 29, 2020

“While the Invega Sustenna negated my psychosis, I have experienced anhedonia and lactation due to raised prolactin levels. I can't enjoy music, or anything else for that matter. I also now have a tic where I have to move my mouth, I don't know if it's medication related. I get my period once every three months and have lowered sexual pleasure. I feel like this drug took any enjoyment out of life and I'd rather be on something else as my symptoms are not severe and Invega not good”

Poopdrugs · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

“I think this is a terrible drug. DO NOT TAKE. Causes schizophrenia does not treat it. I repeat do not take. Will decrease your thinking to almost not there completely. Will remove your emotions almost completely. Side effects on top of side effects. Weight gain, blurry vision, restless leg syndrome, brain pain and more. Do not take even if doctor convinces u it is a good idea. It is not a good idea at all.”

Dip June 13, 2018

“I was admitted to the hospital for depression. But they gave me the invega sustenna 234 injection. My mouth became totally numb for 2 months. I could not swallow any solid food. I could not properly talk for 2 full months. Only lived on liquids. Had no energy in my body at all. Only slept & lied down 24 hours. Had no energy even to open the medication bottle. Really felt horrible inside. Felt muscle locks. Literally lived like a zombie for 2 months. Had extreme anxiety & suicidal thoughts. My teeth have moved permanently. Can’t bite or chew the same way anymore. 4 months later I still don’t feel normal. I feel this injection has ruined my life permanently. I feel there is something wrong with my body organs. I can’t make anybody understand that I just don’t feel normal anymore. I feel chills in my body. Hard to get up in the morning for work. Feel extremely fatigue & depressed. I actually have more issues than what I just described.”

Blue March 12, 2021

“Since I've been put on this medicine I've had a difficult time socializing. I have trouble with conversations and everyday activities seem very overwhelming and hard. Work has become increasingly difficult to perform. I'm also very easily tired compared to before taking this medication. This drug shouldn't be allowed to be prescribed to people. I now fear having to talk to people. I also have a very difficult time being sexually aroused.”

El · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 19, 2018

“Well now I now know why they call psychiatrist "shrinks". I have been on this drug for years. I have tried taking vitamins and eating healthy to stay well and still gained 50 pounds. I have far too many headaches and sleep all day. I think they finally did it - they shrunk my brain!”

Shell · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 4, 2019

“Horrible drug, causes weight gain. I call it the '15lbs shot' every shot I gained another 15lbs. My hallucinations went into overdrive, I could not sleep, depressed, angry, over weight, psychotic, hated every day. I am now seeing a new psychiatrist and I am getting my life back with OUT the Invega Sustenna Injection.”

Anonymoys1234 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 7, 2018

“I feel like this medication has ruined my life completely because I ended up gaining weight, having pre diabetes, and not having my period for 2 years. My biggest concern is am I gonna be able to have children when I get older. I decided that I rather stop taking this medication because it can ruin your future.”

cjiang98 · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2019

“I was misdiagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and received the booster and initial shot of this medication. I had terrible side effects including 60 lb of weight gain. I also slept a lot and had little energy. After 6 months of discontinuation, I finally started losing weight and returned to my normal weight. I had to take a gap year during this time and this drug wasted a year of my life.”

day2play January 30, 2018

“This is the worst possible nightmare of a drug. I was injected with one 234 mg dose and never took the 2nd shot or 156 mg because I felt so horrible. I was so miserable I wanted to die. I had no emotion, no imagination, no memory, and no initiative. I disappeared into a dark hole for months. It took 6 months before I started to feel any better. It took about 2 1/2 years before I felt like I was anywhere near back to normal. Don't let anyone inject you with this poison. You will regret it.”

BlessYourSoul · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2021

“Wow where do I even begin with this horrible drug. About 3 days after I received my injection, I started to experience severe restlessness.I couldn’t sit still and had to constantly move. My sperm was gone. I was literally counting every hour, praying so that the drugs half life wears out (which is 1 month so you can imagine how torturous that was).I couldn’t think straight I was only focused on counting the hours. I had no pleasure in doing anything. I literally got turned into a vegetable that you see in movies about psychiatric patients. PLEASE,only try this drug AFTER you tried other antipsychotics that proved to not work. Stay healthy”

Iamme · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 3, 2020

“I have MDD with psychotic features and Ive been on this med Invega Sustenna for 4 months. I've gained a lot of weight, feel numb, feel dumb, feel like my life is now one big act like I'm a puppet that's doesn't really have any emotions because I don't feel good or bad and I just act and do what I feel should be the norm alt though I don't feel anything. Hope that makes sense... I don't always feel that way sometimes I feel my normal positive self but for the most part that is the case. It has stoped hallucinations visual/auditory and tactile. I don't know how to make a informed decision on this med :/ I'm 50/50.”

Hira · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 9, 2020

“Invega 156mg every three weeks have been good to me. I no longer have voices and I am able to maintain my weight .....I don’t menstruate that’s a negative. I can’t drive or work get out of the house by myself because of agraphobia caused by invega as I suspect. I don’t have anxiety that’s a plus no panic attacks that a plus .....”

Learn more about Schizoaffective Disorder