User Reviews for Invega Sustenna to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Invega Sustenna Rating Summary

4.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Invega Sustenna

Iamme · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 3, 2020

“I have MDD with psychotic features and Ive been on this med Invega Sustenna for 4 months. I've gained a lot of weight, feel numb, feel dumb, feel like my life is now one big act like I'm a puppet that's doesn't really have any emotions because I don't feel good or bad and I just act and do what I feel should be the norm alt though I don't feel anything. Hope that makes sense... I don't always feel that way sometimes I feel my normal positive self but for the most part that is the case. It has stoped hallucinations visual/auditory and tactile. I don't know how to make a informed decision on this med :/ I'm 50/50.”

Turtle June 6, 2020

“I’ve been on the Invega Sustena for going on 7 years now and I have to say that a lot of what I’m seeing in the feedback is all similar to different experiences I’ve had with schizophrenia and while on the medication. Yes the side effects are terrible, you cycle from being overly manic to super lethargic (I held down a job for 3 years as a line cook on 256 mg dose) your appetite is uncontrollable at times and exercise is overly strenuous and difficult (I tried a regiment of weight lifting and killer ten mile runs daily to keep the weight off, your body can’t shed breast tissue when your a male) Since the circumstance of me taking this medication is mandatory in all aspects of my life for somebody in a similar situation to me 8 years ago (I’ll spare the details) I would recommend this medication for bi-polar Or schizophrenia.”

Hira · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 9, 2020

“Invega 156mg every three weeks have been good to me. I no longer have voices and I am able to maintain my weight .....I don’t menstruate that’s a negative. I can’t drive or work get out of the house by myself because of agraphobia caused by invega as I suspect. I don’t have anxiety that’s a plus no panic attacks that a plus .....”

Gsuite March 27, 2020

“I've been on haldol, aristada, zyprexa, and invega and so far these medications just give your brain time to heal not actually heal your your disorder. They help manage your symptoms. So far I've had delusions, hallucinations, and voices. Invega may be harmful but when you have schizophrenia like me you have to be on something so far invega helps the most but has the worst side effects works kinda like that. I advise taking it over the ones I mentioned for me personally.”

Toomey March 27, 2020

“I have schizo affective disorder and I have been on the Invega Sustenna drug for a year now and I love it. It is the only drug that has ever worked for me . It took my symptoms alway totally. It has changed my life. The only side effects I have had is it makes my mouth dry. I can definitely live with that. All the other drugs have had horrible side effects. My future is looking great because of this drug. I feel it is the that this is the best drug on the market.”

beck · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 23, 2020

“I've been on this drug Invega Sustenna for the last 5 years. I've gained 65 lbs, I'm 5'4" tall. I'm restless, have liver problems, memory problems. I don't know which symptoms it is treating. I do not hallucinate. I originally got diagnosed with bipolar disorder 23 years ago, because I could not sleep at night. This drug is horrible and there are no benefits from it.”

Morkovkay · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 29, 2020

“While the Invega Sustenna negated my psychosis, I have experienced anhedonia and lactation due to raised prolactin levels. I can't enjoy music, or anything else for that matter. I also now have a tic where I have to move my mouth, I don't know if it's medication related. I get my period once every three months and have lowered sexual pleasure. I feel like this drug took any enjoyment out of life and I'd rather be on something else as my symptoms are not severe and Invega not good”

Sean · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2019

“Invega sustenna is a Terrible drug especially the shot. Do not take for schizophrenia or schizoaffective. Will make it worse. Bad side effects too.”

Dirty D · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 20, 2019

“I was placed on invega Sustenna after having a violent psychotic episode. I attempted suicide in a very violent manner and went back to the psych ward after surgery. They placed me on 156mg injection once a month. Since being on the injection I’ve experienced slight weight gain, loss of euphoria I used to get from using drugs like alcohol, weed, amphetamines, benzodiazepines, and also the inability to “trip” from using psychedelics. Also, loss of sex drive. Most importantly though...I no longer have the constant thoughts of wanting to end my life or hurt others. All things said though, I have decided to remain on invega injections, sacrificing all the wonderful highs I used to get from dope because I’m afraid that if I stop taking invega I might have another psychotic break, and that the BEAST inside me could drive me to commit violence on myself or others. If invega makes me non-violent, non-sexual, docile, and stable then I say it is a good drug.”

NK November 18, 2019

“At first it didn't seem that bad taking invega. I got the shot once a month. I was in the psych ward for paranoia and delusions. Hallucinations had subsided. They told me they would hold me at the V.A. for four months if I didn't take the shot. They used psychological manipulation to get me to "agree." Six months later I'm 60 lbs overweight, depressed, and tired beyond belief. All I want to do is lay down and close my eyes. Today I woke up about 11:00 am, got out of bed for an hour, went and laid back down till about 4 pm, then got up to make myself something to eat, then laid down till 6, got up for another hour then right back to bed. This is my daily routine on this nightmarish drug. I'm taking one class in school and can't afford to withdraw off of it right now, but in a month I will graduate and finally get off this terrible drug forever. It makes me want to do nothing in life nor could I work taking this medication. It has ruined a year of my life. I'd rather have symptoms.”

poopmeds20 · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

“This medication is the worst. Do not take it. You will have no feelings, no thoughts, no sex drive. Please do not take this drug in any circumstance. It does not help at all. It actually makes you worse. It makes you lose your mind on the daily. It makes you hallucinate daily. You don't want that. Do not take this medication in shot or pill form. 0 stars. Horrible drug. Way too expensive and does not work at all.”

Poopdrugs · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

“I think this is a terrible drug. DO NOT TAKE. Causes schizophrenia does not treat it. I repeat do not take. Will decrease your thinking to almost not there completely. Will remove your emotions almost completely. Side effects on top of side effects. Weight gain, blurry vision, restless leg syndrome, brain pain and more. Do not take even if doctor convinces u it is a good idea. It is not a good idea at all.”

Janac August 31, 2019

“I honestly feel like I've been misdiagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, but I've been taking this medication for almost two years. Currently at 117mg every four weeks. I feel like I've become a completely different person than before I started Invega Sustenna. I have no passion for anything, no emotion, no ideas or input or anything to say to anyone, and my energy for life overall is just flat. So flat. I constantly feel like I only do things to appease people and appear like a normal person. Only the people closest to me, like my family, recognize that I'm no longer the person I used to be. I have hopes that I'll be able to stop this medication someday... and that when I stop, I'll be able to recollect whatever is left of who I used to be. I don't know if I'd recommend this medication. But if you ever find yourself on it, take note of your side effects earlier on so you have record of it to tell your psychiatrist. Then maybe stopping will be easier, if that's what you want to do.”

Finally Well · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 24, 2019

“I was in denial about my illness for about 8 years before I finally went to the hospital by police escort (with the help of my family). I had lost my marriage, couldn’t do my job, and I couldn’t figure out why all this was happening to me. The doctor at the hospital ordered the Invega Sustenna injection and it completely turned my life around. 5 years later, I’m in a great relationship, and I’ve been able to go back to school earning A’s in my classes. People like me again. I did try to go off of the medication last year with the help of my doctor to see if having children would be possible. We have to do more homework on our options because I was only able to stay off for 6 months after the taper. For me, I’m very thankful for this medication. Yes, I gained 20 pounds, but that isn’t terrible when I consider that I’m no longer hurting the people who care about me.”

Bo July 10, 2019

“It’s a horrible drug that makes you have no thoughts in your head at all. I used to have a lot of passion for learning and now all of that is gone with this drug”

Shell · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 4, 2019

“Horrible drug, causes weight gain. I call it the '15lbs shot' every shot I gained another 15lbs. My hallucinations went into overdrive, I could not sleep, depressed, angry, over weight, psychotic, hated every day. I am now seeing a new psychiatrist and I am getting my life back with OUT the Invega Sustenna Injection.”

Scooter · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 30, 2019

“I'm not sure how I need it but it's okay. I've been on it for about 1 and a half years. I can't complain. I've been on 234 mg every month for awhile like at least half of a year. It slows down the brain. I guess I would be too hyper without it. different meds affect people differently. It's totally fine and I feel okay. I feel peace.”

Nim · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2019

“I had to take Invega sustenna after running away from being treated 5 times. It helps eliminate the delusions and voices. I love it as it does not make me believe that the Kings Son is in love with me; or Adam Sandler is talking to me through every thought with another person in my head and sharing tips for his movies while looking at an image. But I hate the fact that it has a weight gain affect that have muscle constraints. Feeling happy through space is barely not there... natural life is much better ... and keeping all the craziness of Schizophrenia is way more intresting than waking up.”

cjiang98 · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2019

“I was misdiagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and received the booster and initial shot of this medication. I had terrible side effects including 60 lb of weight gain. I also slept a lot and had little energy. After 6 months of discontinuation, I finally started losing weight and returned to my normal weight. I had to take a gap year during this time and this drug wasted a year of my life.”

MiGoreng · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 23, 2019

“Invega Sustenna will make it easier to take your medication as it’s an every 4 week shot in the arm (or butt). However the side affects are many. This drug, though stopped all hallucinations and mania, caused my skin to flake, my face to get puffy, my overall weight to increase by 40 lbs, incur symptoms of depression and other personality changes and lastly, caused me to sleep for hours on end. If you enjoy sleeping your life away, this is the drug for you. However I myself miss living my full life!”

The king · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 31, 2019

“I have schizoaffective disorder and I was put on invega because lithium causes kidney disease, it helps me sleep and to be able to function. The only side effect is it causes sexual dysfunction which is a common side effect.”

Ellie_thurston · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2019

“I have felt very tired and just lethargic and lost interest in the Bible which I once loved with a great passion. No one will take me at my word and have tried to get off this medication but the doctor and my family won't let me even after I told them how much I don't like it. I have no periods have high prolactin and hand tremors in my right hand. Feel like sleeping all the time and would do anything to stop taking this medication. It is poison and should be taken off the market and never given to anyone. I'd rather hear voices than feel like I do on this medication. ”

Juno666 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2019

“If you want your life back and want to finally quit hearing the voices, believing the delusions that persist in your head and just be able to live a “normal” life then this medications absolutely. You will over eat, gain a little weight, have restless night and sleep all afternoon, you will have restless leg syndrome where you just can’t sit still. It takes about a month and half for side effects to diminish. I’m so thankful to finally be happy again and be able to hold down a job. Those dark voices are gone. I don’t read a news article and believe I spoke to the president of the United States personally anymore. Now I wake up every day with just a calm, happy persona both internally and externally. The best part is that it’s only a once a month injection. I’ll tell you that on the day of the shot I do still get a littler dizzy and tired so I usually request off the entire day so I can relax. But even my family has noticed the huge change in me.”

Anonymous January 11, 2019

“I've been on this drug since December of 2017 and now it's January 2019 so more than a year. I think it has good and bad effects to it. It helps me control myself better. I don't blurt out random nonsense anymore like I used to. I don't like the fact it causes sexual dysfunction and weight gain. I've been taking topiramate for awhile now and I barely eat anything but my psychiatrist blames my weight gain all on me even though weight gain clearly is one of the side effects of invega as well as other antipsychotics. I noticed I haven't ejaculated as much semen the last few times I came and I think the invega is to blame. If it wasn't for the sexual dysfunction and weight problems and also the decreased testosterone due to increased prolactin I'd say this medicine is not that bad but because I'm forced to take it I might as well just suck it up and live with it and accept what I have to live with.”

Franky · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 14, 2018

“Do not take this medicine. So far I have lost all my ambition, energy, personality, and my emotions. I am tired all the time, and have random muscle spasms all through my body. It makes it really hard to feel things, I feel like I have to try to feel things it's really weird. I have been taking the injection for 6 months now and I'm a complete zombie, I have no social life, sex drive, and imagination. This medicine destroys the human body, it is poison and needs to be discontinued. I'd much rather hear voices and hallucinate then be on this medication.”

Learn more about Schizoaffective Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)