User Reviews for Norlyda

Norlyda has an average rating of 5.3 out of 10 from a total of 36 ratings on Drugs.com. 32% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 29% reported a negative experience.

Birth Control
7.3
Summary of Norlyda reviews 5.3 36 reviews

Reviews for Norlyda

Ms. Urda · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 27, 2021

For Endometriosis: “Nuvaring user 19-22yrs, tried again at 29. In 2016 I began having pelvic pain, turned out to be ruptured cyst. In 2019 & 2020 I underwent testing for endometriosis. In 2021 had a triple surgeon op for endo & was put on Norlyda to keep hormones in balance (at age 34). I noticed tiredness with 1st packet. About to finish my 3rd pack & my skin itches horribly everyday; vision gets blurry; sweating more; depressed (& coping differently); and gained 13lbs!! These are listed side effects for Norlyda, unbeknownst to me. What's not listed is that my nipples are incredibly ugly now, my butt crack hair grows quickly, & more acne breakouts. BUT, I am living pain-free and with little effect to my pooping schedule. My periods are sporadic, usually shorter with darker blood. My whole body changed using this bc. :(  Sorry if TMI, but I think its important to share and I hope I helped someone with my experience.”

mandymae171 · May 9, 2021

For Endometriosis: “I’ve been on norlyda (norethindrone) for almost 2 months now. My doctor prescribed it to help with my severe periods due to endometriosis and I was bleeding insanely bad and having the severe cramps. Ever since I started this I have yet to have a period. I take it at the same time everyday, the most I’ve gone is 12 mins past my pill time. The only side effects I've had was some acne for the first couple weeks but now my skin has stayed clear, my boobs are slightly smaller, I am slightly more bloated (but I do have IBS and endo) and I had some trouble sleeping for like the first 2 weeks but nothing crazy, just had a hard time falling asleep. I have depression and anxiety and this medication has not affected it. I think the key to this pill is taking it at the same time everyday. So far I would rate it 10/10”

Ci · December 21, 2019

For Birth Control: “I started these birth control pills Norllyda 2 weeks ago. After the second day of taking them I started a period which lasted for 8 days. It stopped and came back on 4 days later. It has now been on for another week and still haven't ended. It’s heavy and I’m going through tampons like crazy. I have to wear a pad as well because the flow is so heavy. The cramps are horrible. I’ve been on birth control pills before and never had an experience like this. I’ve contacted my Dr and was told that this is normal because my period have to regulate and that it can take up to 3 months with these pills to regulate. Meaning that I can be bleeding like this for 3 months. There is no way losing this much blood for all these days is normal. I will be contacting my Dr again to see if they can prescribe me another kind of pill because I can not deal with all this bleeding and cramping. Also these pills don’t have placebos. you never know when your period is going to arrive. I do not recommend these.”

Bookworm · January 25, 2021

For Birth Control: “Only started taking this because of stroke risk being over 40. Took Lo Lo Estrin Fe for years and loved it. Been on this over a year and honestly should have stopped long ago. My periods are now coming 2-3 times a month and they last 3-10 days. May just have to get my tubes tied because I am so tired of constant bleeding on this pill and my doc advises that I shouldn't go back to pills containing estrogen. Giving it a 4/10 because I never got pregnant but hated always being on my period”

Cobaltbabe83 · April 8, 2019

For Birth Control: “My obgyn switched me from years of combo pills to this since I am 35 and smoke. I hated this pill. I had a period twice a month for 9-10 days. It would go from light to heavy at any given time. I went off the pill completely to see how my periods would be. Still painful and somewhat heavy. My main reason for using the pill was for periods and possible endo. Also for clear skin and pregnancy protection. I called my obgyn and had her try me on another brand. I explained to her every brand will affect people differently due to inactive ingredients. I learned this when they discontinued my favorite pill lutera and tried me on other pills said to be the same but were not. She agreed and so now I am on ortho micronor. So far it agrees with me. 5 day light periods with 1 medium day.”

Heather · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 17, 2022

For Birth Control: “Started this because my doctor was worried about my blood pressure on the combo pill. I’m on my second pack. The first two to three weeks my nipples were so sore. I haven't had sex since starting as my husband is deployed so I wasn’t worried about pregnancy. Once my nipples calmed down then my breast were tender as if I were about to start my period. I get hormonal headaches usually the week prior to my period but I had more than usual the 4th week of these pills. Then, no period and all the breast tenderness and headaches stopped as if I had my period. It’s strange. So, considering my husband was home before I started this pill I decided to take a pregnancy test, which was negative. So now I’m in my second pack wondering if I’m going to get a period of any kind or not. If I get the headaches again I intend on switching.”

Kim · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 9, 2020

For Birth Control: “This is the worst Contraceptive BC experience I’ve ever had. I was prescribed Norlyda because I smoke, tried it for about 5 months. I’ve been having my period for two weeks in a month and finally I had my period for 3 weeks and I stop taking this pill. I’ve been taking them same time everyday too. I’m using up a lot of pads and tampons so sick of this, I’m done!”

Hope · March 16, 2019

For Endometriosis: “I was having awful periods & my side was always hurting even when I wasn’t on my period. I started taking Norlyda in October. I had adjustment bleeding mid-November that lasted a few weeks. Previously I’ve always had regular periods, but since starting Norlyda I haven’t. After the adjustment bleeding, I had my last real period in December. A week after, I had another “period” that lasted 3 days. I bled a little mid-January but since then none. Since starting the pill, I’ve had bad stomach problems & still had side pain. I stopped taking it the last week of February. It’s now March 16th & have started bleeding again. I don’t like that it stopped my periods all together. It didn’t help with my pain & I had almost constant diarrhea. I tried changing my diet, etc. & NOTHING made me feel better. Now that I’m off the pill, I haven’t had a stomach episode in about 3 weeks. My side still hurts some but it was no where like it was when I was on the pill.”

Kayla · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · April 11, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I’ve been on this pill for 8 months and I still bleed. Sometimes it’s 2 weeks, others it’s 4 days of bleeding. I’m so over it!! Dr put me on this pill to stop my period....... not working! Hysterectomy is in the future.”

Ccmp · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · June 21, 2022

For Birth Control: “I take Norlyda to manage my PCOS because I can't take estrogen comb pill since it is risky as I have issues with blood pressure. Since I naturally get irregular periods because of my PCOS and this pill doesn’t have estrogen my periods are still irregular, but in my 6ish months of taking it my periods have only ever been light bleeding for 3-5 days. My obgyn says this is normal and some people don’t even get their periods on it so I guess it’s nice in that respect. I just wish that I was able to know when I would get my periods like I was on the combo pill. I haven’t really had any side effects, and the combo pill I was taking before gave me migraines and made me super emotional/depressed whereas Norlyda doesn’t, so no complaints about that. I could see how for people who normally get their periods routinely this pill might mess with that making them frustrated but I’m used to irregular periods so it’s no issue”

MissChelle36 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 3, 2019

For Birth Control: “I'm 36 years old. Was on Nuvaring and loved it, but after being off it for while, then when I went back on it it was giving me upset stomach . So we tried this Norlyda pill . I have horrible PMS and PMDD. My symptoms leading up are worse than anything during my actual period. First month was fine. Now I'm on month 3 and never know when my period is going to be. I bleed on and off and once for 2 weeks. Which was told that's shedding the lining of the uterus. I just still don't feel like its helped much. But just wait and see.”

Ang · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 25, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I don't like this pill. I’m on my fourth month, my periods are pretty much every 2-3 weeks and are getting heavier and lasting longer. I wish I was in a position to just go back off birth control. But I’m using it to fix some endo. Maybe a couple more months and I’ll just quit it. Four stars because I’m not pregnant. But it’s harder to have sex when you always have your period.”

MARIEL · Taken for less than 1 month · February 13, 2019

For Birth Control: “I have been taking this pill for about a month. This is actually my first time ever taking BC I must say the first week just a bit nauseous and slightly dizzy. Other than that no problems. I get my period every month with no problems and happy that I don't need to worry about getting pregnant :)”

Anonymous · October 18, 2019

For Birth Control: “I've just recently restarted this BC. I took it for years after being switching from Kariva which gave me migraines 4x a week. With Norlyda I hardly get any migraines. My periods are few and far between if any. My skin breaks out here and there but I feel like Norlyda helps a little. I'm underweight for my height and wish Norlyda would help me gain a lil weight but hasn't. Overall good experience on this BC.”

Rim · Taken for less than 1 month · December 4, 2021

For Birth Control: “Over 40 so this was suggested for me. I've been on it for 2 1/2 weeks and have bleed every single day. This is not light spotting but several pads/tampons a day. Yes it stops you getting pregnant but I don’t like the side effects.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years · February 21, 2018

For Birth Control: “I've enjoyed the non estrogen birth control. I'm petite, active, healthy diet and the only thing I take is this pill and no other medications. I have had a small increase in acne outbreaks and weight gain, but I'm also in nursing school, working, and planning a wedding so I don't blame my birth control entirely on a little 3 lb weight gain or acne. I take a week off between each pack so my body can be natural and have a period, that is for my own health reasons. I overall am much happier with this bc than any other. I have tried and the risks are far less than the estrogen based options. Also it took time, as with all bc for my body to adjust to new hormones and monthly changes that are from my would be cycle. I recommend estrogen free bc to all females due to decreased risks.”

Keija · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 28, 2022

For Birth Control: “I been on this BC for about 4 months now . My doc put me on this brand because I'm breastfeeding . My milk supply did not change. Only had one period 8 days after I started taking it I haven't had one since . The first and second month had me with cramps no bleeding and I was so tired but that went away. I am hungry A LOT!!! After I ate I still feel hungry. Thank god I don't gain weight easily. Don't have any problems on the pill but l am kind of worried not getting my period. I have to take a PT every month to make sure. I will give this a 9 ! Love it best BC I have been on !!!”

Big Mistake · June 13, 2022

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Took this birth control for 1 1/2 months and it was the absolute worst experience I’ve ever had. I was prescribed this medicine due to cyst that kept rupturing and causing me lots of pain. I’ve already had 1 ovary removed due to this, but the doctors didn’t want to remove this one. I bleed the entire 1 1/2 months with cramps so bad that I took pain meds daily. I couldn’t even walk straight the pain was so bad. Half way through, I started producing blood clots the size of golf balls. They were so big I could feel them sliding out when I stood up. Finally, I was switched to SLYND and instantly stopped bleeding. I wouldn’t recommend this pill to anyone. It was the most miserable month of my life.”

Migraine Free · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 21, 2020

For Birth Control: “Started this pill Norlyda for birth control 4 months ago. Overall very happy because I had been having regular aura migraines with my old bc (Junel, a combo pill) and I haven’t had a single one since I switched. Periods are definitely a little heavier than on Junel but not awful. Last two months I had two periods a month (for 4 days at a time). No acne or other side effects though! Worth a try, and definitely a good option if estrogen pills trigger migraines!! Have to take exactly on time for it to be effective so if you’re bad with that, use back-up.”

f · January 15, 2019

For Birth Control: “I'm 19 and this is my first BC experience. The first three months on this pill kinda sucked, but I expected that. Your body needs time to adjust. I had a lot of spotting and irregular periods (2 in one month, 8 days between cycles, etc.) But these are really the only side effects worth mentioning. I had lost some weight due to lack of appetite right before starting, and am since back to my normal weight so I can't say if this is because of the pill or because I started eating normally. I've always had acne and it's no better or worse than before. I'm into my 4th pack and things have gotten much better for now. I haven't had any spotting in a while and it looks like I'll be getting my period at my normal time this month. You have to take it at the same time everyday. Consider your schedule/routine when deciding on a time. The pill is most effective for 20 hours so also consider when you are most likely to have sex. 12 pm is perfect for me.”

JB · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 10, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I’m on my 3rd month on this birth control and I am exhausted. The first two months I had a period for two weeks long with MAJOR cramps. As of now I’m currently on my 8th day on my period and have had cramps everyday so far. The only positive is I don’t have migraines like my last birth control. But at this point I’ve decided to get off of it. Reading the previous comments gives me comfort that I’m not the only one going through it. But I have officially decided to stop taking this birth control. And I would not recommend it to anyone else. I’m giving it a two rating because I haven’t gotten pregnant.”

Dev · Taken for 2 to 5 years · March 8, 2022

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I've been taking norlyda for quite a while due to Abnormal Uterine Bleeding (AUB) that caused a lot of pain and anemia. I personally haven't had a period in about 3 years since I started it. Positive experience for me.”

CB · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · July 30, 2021

For Birth Control: “I have been on this birth control for about a year now and am looking to stop taking it and switch. I quickly lost my period which I enjoyed not having due to typically having terrible PMS and heavy bleeding without birth control. The only side effects I noticed were some more unwanted hair growth and my boobs got smaller, B to A cup. When I was working out heavily since I am an athlete I had no period or PMS whatsoever. But my major complaint is as soon as I went into my offseason which was slightly less daily exercise, I had my period and all the PMS symptoms (7 days) followed by breakthrough bleeding (5 to 7 days) every other week until my next period, and this cycle just continues until I start exercising at an extreme level again.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · September 10, 2017

For Birth Control: “I had issues on this medication the first few months like extremely bad headaches almost everyday, horrible acne, mood swings and irregular periods. My migraines have lessened now however it is horrible acne that bothers me the most. It took about 6 months for my period to start being regular after being on a Combo pill 9 years”

AMME · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 13, 2019

For Birth Control: “I usually take tri-sprintec, but have had a lot of migraines with my period so was recommended this, Norlyda. I have gained a little weight which isn’t a big deal since I’m only 110 to begin with. But I started breaking out. My face mainly, but my chest and back. I’ve been taking the pill for 3 months now. My face is always covered in acne. So frustrating. I make it a habit to wash twice a day but nothing is helping. Since it’s winter I don’t care about my chest or back. I also haven’t gotten my period at all. I took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. I haven’t had any symptoms or signs that I’m pregnant. I took the test just to see since I haven’t gotten my period. I showed a lot of symptoms last time I was pregnant. I have a DR. appt in March, which is the soonest I can see my dr. I want to go back to my old brand.”