User Reviews for Heather

Heather has an average rating of 4.2 out of 10 from a total of 53 ratings on Drugs.com. 26% of those users who reviewed Heather reported a positive effect, while 60% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
Amenorrhea
Summary of Heather reviews 4.2 53 reviews

Reviews for Heather

Angelic1980 · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2021

For Birth Control: “I had uncontrollable heavy bleeding and huge clots so much so my gynecologist advised to stop taking it. We’re going with a different method.”

Shina89 · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2021

For Birth Control: “I started not to leave a review but then I thought to myself this may help someone. As for me I'm taking myself off of Heather. I started Heather 3 weeks after having my son, prescribed by my Dr. I started bleeding out of no where and already experienced child birth bleeding. At 3 weeks post partrum I seen my first period. I started birth control the following week and seen my cycle after the 4th pill. That was twice in 1month. That did it for me. I was down 30lbs before starting birth control. Since I've started my weight is the same, it has not changed and I work out. Good luck!”

Anonymous May 7, 2021

For Birth Control: “I am 22 years old, had been on a combo pill for 10 years because of dysmenorrhea/acne and have had good experiences for the most part. I have migraines with aura so I had to switch to a progestin only pill and was put on this one. Since starting this pill ~three months ago I have had my period for eight out of the eleven weeks. And it has been heavy the whole entire time. The cramps I am experiencing are the same ones that put me on the pill in the first place when I was 12. Without changing diet, workouts, medications, stress level; my acne is worse than it has ever been; it is cystic, painful, my face is scarred and inflamed. I have ballooned with water weight/am so bloated because you guessed it, I am still on my period. My hormones are out of control. I have never experienced mood swings but now I cry at everything and am so irritable. Also the fact that this birth control is only ~60% effective in preventing pregnancy...??? Pull out is 78%. I wish I could rate lower.”

Not Haopy. January 14, 2021

For Birth Control: “Read reviews, but thought.. hey everyone is different so it may help. YEA RIGHT. I’m on month 3, and my periods are horrible. I was put on Heather to regulate them, but it’s made my days longer. I was originally 6-7 days a month, now I’m 11-15 days. I’m already anemic, and was hoping this would be the answer. Not to mention acne. It’s awful. I’ve never had acne. Tender breast for 2 months, mood swings & depression. Crying for no reason. I’m discontinuing this.”

Joy · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2020

For Endometriosis: “Before taking Heather, I had horrible pelvic pain and cramps and was experiencing several symptoms commonly found in peri menopause. I finally have more than 6 hours of sleep every night. My foggy brain is getting better. I no longer feel pelvic pain and cramps like I used to. And my mood has improved. I no longer feel as fatigued as I used to. And most of the body aches I used to feel are gone! I had a little skin outbreak in the first month after started using the pill but it cleared. I would recommend this treatment to anyone who may benefit from it. It changed my quality of life for the better.”

Red · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 28, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was put on Heather tablet for my migraines with aura and to prevent pregnancy. I was on it for well over 6 months. It did help with the migraines and ovarian cyst, but here I am.....pregnant. And before anyone asks, no, I did NOT miss or skip a pill.”

Ali S. November 6, 2020

For Birth Control: “I don't normally leave reviews, but I definitely felt obligated to share my experience with Heather birth control pill. This is a mini pill so of course I was taking it after I had my son, so I could continue to breastfeed him. Not only did it make me gain all 30 lbs back that I initially lost after I had him, but it completely wrecked my normally clear skin. A side from physical issues, the reason I really wanted to leave this review is because of the mental side effects it gave me. I am regularly a very happy person, however this BC made me extremely depressed, which is definitely not good for a woman who just had a baby! I don't believe it should not be prescribed for women period, but most definitely not new mothers. It did it's job of allowing me to not get pregnant and still breastfeed so I gave it a couple of stars, however other than that I would recommend something else.”

Jomahma · Taken for less than 1 month October 28, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I had been bleeding for about two months and the doctor originally prescribed the combo pill, which made me feel off balanced. I was switched to this pill Heather and almost immediately it stopped the bleeding. I think our bodies are all different, so what works for one person may not work for another. I'm just relieved I found this medication.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 6, 2020

For Endometriosis: “I’m 47 and my OBGYN put me on Heather after I had issues with cysts and endometriosis about 2 years ago and it has worked amazing for me in regards to pain. I don’t get my period as often now and my pain went for a 9 to a 1 in about 6 months. It has been a life changer for me. I can’t say how well it works for actual birth control since I’ve never been about to conceive even before starting this medication.”

Kora · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

For Birth Control: “I've been on this birth control Heather for 2 months. I'm pretty sure the mechanism of action for this drug is actually just abstinence because bleeding and cramping for 3.5 weeks each month is not conducive to having sex. The depression (which I have no prior history of) doesn't help. My medical professional never warned me about any side effects and has since told me to "stick it out", so I'll give it a full three months. I had been on estrogen-based birth control for over 20 years and loved it but, hypertension :( At this point though, I'd almost rather have the hypertension) And can I just take a moment to rant that in all my many trips to the gyno over the years for birth control no one has EVER brought up vasectomy, when uterine ablation (literally burning out the inside of the uterus) has been suggested though. Come on!! Vasectomy was the first thing my partner suggested (bless him), so we may end up going that route.”

Lilliput · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 1, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started the Heather mini pill in October 2019 due to being diagnosed with uterine fibroids. I went to the Dr because my periods suddenly became extremely painful. I asked the dr for this pill because I read it had less of an occurrence of blood clots and I have antiphospholipid syndrome which puts me at a slightly higher risk of clotting. It did halt my periods completely for the first few months but they did come back. The pill did still improve my periods as there was no more pain. But I feel obligated to share that I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer and I am only 35 years old. No other women in my family have ever had breast cancer but I am the first woman to be on birth control pills. I truly feel that this pill may be a direct link to my diagnosis and I have stopped it immediately. Please be careful with this medication.”

Snoopy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2021

For Birth Control: “The absolute worst birth control ever! I have PCOS and took Yasmin for over 20 years for treatment. Worked amazing. Now back on the Syeda, generic for yasmin. Took Heather for 4 months and experienced horrendous bloating and water retention. I felt constipated most of the time and would weigh myself everyday with the same scale. I would gain 10 lbs in one day!! Miserable! Also experienced back pain. Also, very irregular bleeding cycles. The water retention was horrible. I have been a size 4 for over 10 years and if you want a birth control that works as a diuretic, choose yasmin. Never experienced these symptoms with this one. I am back on it now and Happy.”

manderz · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 19, 2019

For Birth Control: “I was on this birth control for about one year, April 2018 to April 2019. My gyno told me to expect changes in my skin/weight but boy did I not know what I was in for. The only upside of using this pill was no periods but the downside was so much of my hair fell out, gained about 30 pounds and I went from clear skin to the worst acne I've ever had in my life. I'm 31 and it wasn't even this bad in my teenage years. I'm officially done with this pill. I gave it time for my body to become used to it but even after a year it only seems to be getting worse. Seems like the weight gain is not stopping and the acne is so bad. If possible, please find another BC pill.”

Emz · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 13, 2019

For Birth Control: “I’ve been taking Heather for a couple years now. I switched to a mini pill because I had migraines with auras and was thus told to stop taking my pills with estrogen. In the couple years I’ve taken this pill, I’ve gotten my period once. It’s amazing! I started taking birth control because I was getting awful cramps and migraines during my period. Taking Heather has had a hugely positive impact on my quality of life. Apart from having no periods, I honestly never noticed any side effects. The only thing is that I wish it was a more effective birth control method. Regular pills with estrogen are more effective. It’s important to take Heather on time, especially if it’s your only form of contraceptive. If you’re able to take an estrogen pill then I would suggest that.”

Susie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2020

For Birth Control: “I have been on many different pill birth controls in the last 15 years. I have stopped the pills both times when I was prepared to have my 2 kids. My baby is only 7 months old and now even on Heather birth control I’m pregnant again... now I take my pills religiously and NEVER I mean NEVER MISS a pill! I have an alarm on my phone and take my pill every night. I am extremely sad about this news and I can believe birth control has failed me. After all these years... I knew this pill was weird it wasn’t regulated my period it coming in random times of the month not the last week of the pill pack. This is by far the worst experience on the pills I’ve had.. I never thought birth control pills were different from others but here we are and I can’t even believe I’m pregnant.”

Rebma August 23, 2020

For Birth Control: “This birth control pill Heather riddled me with horrible acne. My skin was beautiful and clear and now I can’t stop crying when I look at it. I’ve never had acne this bad. Not to mention, I had my period for a straight month, and felt like my uterus was ripping apart. I’ve been off of it for almost two months, my face still looks awful and clearing very slowly. Side effects were not worth it.”

Lemur · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2020

For Birth Control: “After the birth of my second child I went back to my pre-pregnancy weight within two weeks. I went for my six week post pregnancy follow up and my doctor put me on Heather. I immediately started having periods twice a month even while breastfeeding. Then the weight gain started, and hair loss. I have gained 25# in 3.5 months! I workout daily and eat healthy. My hair also falls out in handfuls every time I touch my head. I have also started to break out with acne. I was on the mini pill with my first child and it did not have these side effects. I will be discontinuing use of Heather immediately!”

Runner · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2019

For Birth Control: “I have been using Heather for 3 months. I was advised to switch to a no estrogen pill since I am 38 years old and a smoker:( My prior birth control pill was Ortho tricyclen Lo which was phenomenal!! Since I began taking Heather, I am either extremely irritable and moody or completely emotionless. I have gained 8 pounds, yes 8 in 3 months, coming from someone who runs a full marathon every year and is an addictive runner. I have lost all motivation and energy to work out, due to being extremely fatigued! I’ve also experienced breast tenderness, severe bloating, painful low back pain and muscle aches. Not to mention that I’ve had my period 6 times in 3 months! I will be stopping this medication as soon as my husband gets his vasectomy and his post vasectomy test are clear!! ”

SilverLo · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 23, 2015

For Birth Control: “I started taking Heather shortly after giving birth so that it wouldn't reduce my milk supply and I've been taking it for over a year now. I am still breast-feeding and have not had a period this entire time. I've also noticed that my moods are greatly restrained, meaning I almost never cry (even when I want to, like funerals), but I also don't get overly happy either. I've been losing weight this whole time (still overweight), which may be related to the breast-feeding or not.”

clo · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I wanted to use this pill Heather to try and minimize my period, all it did was make me feel extremely nauseated and couldn't poop ever to where my stomach was cramping. It gave me the most awful acne I’ve ever had, and it took my period completely away, which wasn’t what I wanted. ebing sexually active and not having a period is really awful for not knowing if you could be pregnant or not”

chrissypoo123 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 25, 2015

For Birth Control: “I at 53 I took Heather for birth control for the last 3 1/2 yrs. My doctor decided that I should not be on the pill anymore and I needed to stop taking them. During the time I was on the pill I never had a period. I loved it, no weight gain, no side effects. Since I have been off of them I still have no period. My doctor said I probably will have gone through menopause and never had the symptoms.”

blondie · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 10, 2018

For Endometriosis: “Taking this medicine is a severe mistake. This drug does not AT ALL reduce cramping, bleeding severity, or promote bodily menstrual regularity. Instead, after only 2 months of using it, my hair is falling out in the shower, my acne is severe, I've gained 11 pounds, and my anxiety is unbearable. This drug has caused me to have a period every 2 weeks since being on it, and with each period I am vomiting and swelling up. My breasts are so tender that I cannot even put a bra on. I am entirely exhausted all of the time - something I NEVER had an issue with until taking this medicine. I have an appointment first thing tomorrow to come off of this drug - what a nightmare.”

tdemps April 10, 2017

For Birth Control: “I've had trouble finding a birth control that wouldn't make me gain weight, give me UTI's, or make me depressed. I have finally found the one!!! This birth control has given me no issues at all. At first my period was a little irregular when adjusting to this pill, but now it comes regularly and I have no negative side effects. You do have to be a little more exact with the time you take this BC, but I have my phone alarm set every day to the same time so it's usually not a problem. The only time it is, is when my schedule is a little out of whack. Other than that this is the best birth control I've taken and will continue to take.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 18, 2014

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I've been on this Heather daily pill for one month and a half and I'm not really liking it. I've been getting my period EVERY week for 3 days. And it's even worse that it starts on Thursdays which means I'm on it over the weekend. I'm just going to finish the rest of this month's pills and if it doesn't get better I'm switching to something else.”

hairbandgemini · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2013

For Birth Control: “My doctor suggested I go on this so that I could help dissolve my ovarian cysts, help my excruciating periods and of course for pregnancy prevention. Other pills had horrible side effects with my mood, and made me feel worse than ever, but since I've been on Heather (about 6 weeks) I feel great.. no bad moods, my skin has always been bad, so no changes there, my breasts have grown for sure, I'm just starting to spot and cramp mildly, but if that's going to replace my normal excruciating period, than I'm perfectly fine with that. My job is very physically and mentally demanding, and it hasn't affected it, accept maybe my breast tenderness. But I would definitely suggest this.”

Codafitness · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was on Heather for three months. I’m a 38 year old female and 135lbs who gets migraines periodically (2-3/per month). Heather was suggested due to migraine history. During those three months, I experienced unpleasant side effects. I gained a little weight, had great difficulty losing it even though I’m quite active and was exercising 4x a week. I started to breakout about 1 month in, I experienced some form of cystic and painful acne. The acne showed up on my jawline, face and the back of my neck. Tiny rash like bumps stayed on my neck and never went away for the 3 months I was on it. My experience was terrible on this pill. I switched to Viorele, a combination pill with a very low dose of estrogen and within a week, my acne has showed signs of clearing up and the rash on my neck is disappearing. I have naturally oily skin and was cleaning my face and neck 2-3 times a day, but I continued to get cystic acne when on Heather. Switching off mini-pill was the best decision.”

Jo · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

For Birth Control: “I am exclusively breastfeeding and now 8 weeks postpartum, so I decided to try out the Heather birth control pills. The side effects were instant. Severe headaches and cramping daily, drastic changes in mood and a period that lasted almost a week. I've been on this pill for barely even 2 weeks and although it takes roughly 3 months to adjust , it's not worth my mental or physical health.”

rach January 2, 2021

For Endometriosis: “I have tried the combo pill twice before using Heather. I mainly started for horrible, heavy periods and intense cramps. The combo pill (both times) was absolutely horrible and I’ve never felt worse in my life. Heather has been good for me, but has cons. I have irregular periods now, but they’re not very heavy and I barely get cramps anymore so the periods aren’t bad at all. The periods are also short (4-5) compared to my usual 8-10. Using Heather now has made me capable of doing my usual day to day activities while on my period. The downside is the hormonal acne. My skin is oily and acne prone but I’ve been getting painful cysts from this birth control. The irregular periods and acne are worth it for me personally because my endo made my periods a living nightmare before. When I first started it, I was on my period for a month, but after that they’ve been pretty short aside from the one time that I missed a pill.”