User Reviews for Nicotine

Also known as: Commit, Habitrol, Leader Nicotine Polacrilex, Nicoderm CQ, Nicorelief, Nicorette, Nicorette DS, Nicotrol Inhaler, Nicotrol NS, Nicotrol TD, ProStep

Learn more about Nicotine.

Nicotine Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Nicotine to treat Smoking Cessation

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "Have been on the patches step 1 for a week today. I smoked almost 2 packs a day for 31 years. Tried to quit many times. This is by far the best and easier way. Sometimes they don't stick but I use a band-aid over it to make them stick. The bad cravings are gone it's just the habit left. So glad I tried the patches!!!"

Crabby too March 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicorette (nicotine): "This gum does as it says, helps stop the cravings. I just traded one addiction for another, and am highly addicted to the gum. I would seek help from other places, as this is even more expensive than smoking! I notice that when I chew a lot of it, my heart races and get light headed upon standing. This medication can't be good long term, so please be careful."

Anonymous 247 March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicotrol NS (nicotine): "I most often used only when I want that cigarette in the morning I keep busy and focus on my health I use my spray 8 times a day. I use rubber bands on wrist when urge comes to smoke because I don't want to depend on spray, light exercise and walks where smoking isn't allowed. my house doesn't smell like smoke, my clothes do cause I can't wash them all at once I can breathe better. believe believe believe"

Mamakatskitzo March 6, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "I have been using step one of the patch for 4 weeks out of both boxes I have lost 3 patches that didn't stay in place after placement. I followed the instructions however they still came off. These are not cheap and being on a fixed income it frustrates me especially when you can not inform the very company that produces the product. Other then that they have been effective."

frustrated fixed income February 28, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "I will say this about the patch. It work for me. We're there side effects? yes. A small bit of bruising and a small rash.I was willing to put up with those side effects because I did not have one craving for a cigarette. I was very happy with the program and have remained smoke free for three years boxing day passed."

Trapskiffer February 24, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "The Nicoderm CQ Patch in my opinion worked great. I've been smoking for over 19 years. I've tried before (cold turkey) & (Pregnancy), but always went back. I smoked up to 1.5 packs a day. I made the most life changing choice Dec 2016 to stop smoking. I researched the patches and was very leary, because of my withdrawal symptoms.I decided to try Nicoderm CQ patches. I completed the whole 3 step 10 week program without 1 slip!!! I'm very proud of myself. Now be aware that you will experience a slight burning Itching sensation when you first apply the patch(last about 1 min). Also sometime the patch will not stay on, just simply apply a bandaid over it. Thats about it. I would recommend this product. Works GREAT!!"

LONDASLOVE (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicotrol Inhaler (nicotine): "Smoked for years, including several when I was already taking Buproprion for depression. Tried patches, Nicorette brand made me witchy, generics worked better, but still itchy-twitchy & restless. Gum was good, but still had peaks & troughs. Inhaler seemed to deliver nicotine more effectively, but still had "mud brain" from the lack of nicotine. Hit it down the middle by using a very low dose patch to keep serum levels steady and suppressing urges with the inhaler. Probably wouldn't have tried the inhaler if my insurance had not covered it and if I had not received the cheapest, most ineffective patches the first time around from Walgreen's. Combo therapy works. Try it!"

Good kind of Quitter (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "My only regret is not trying this sooner! Could not have done it without the patches. Thank you so much for helping me quit! Officially a non smoker after 35 years!! I will never smoke again!! NEVER!"

Valstone February 15, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "I'm 22, and have been smoking for about 4 years. This year, my smoking increased to about half a pack a day for a few months. I knew I was smoking too much. I was having trouble catching my breath and couldn't work out. I knew it was time to quit. I've tried vaping and e cigarettes, nothing worked, but I needed my nicotine fix or else I would get anxious. One day I woke up and decided to go to the store and get the patch. I started with step 2. I have NO regrets. I've been cigarette free for 7 days and I can't see myself going back."

ashley718 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "I am 45 years old now and I was able to quit after 27 years with the help of the nicoderm cq patch. It was a struggle but the patches did enough to keep me from finding a cigarette. I am now smoke free for 2 years and enjoy not smelling like a dirty ashtray and can breathe much easier. Thanks for your product nicoderm cq."

B R (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "I am 65 years old and have smoked since I was 16, I've been on the patch for two weeks. I have cravings daily but jeeez I smoked 49 years. I am committed to quit smoking and have no intentions failing. The cravings I have are easy to work through, I find something to occupy my mind for a few minutes. My plan is to use the patch for one month and after that my Dr. and I have worked it out for me to go on Chantix for however long necessary. I have also cut back on my consumption of beer and coffee and at has helped a lot. Good luck to all and stay strong."

huck52 January 24, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Commit (nicotine): "Commit really works if you want to stop smoking. The cons are: stinging or burning at first which goes away; heartburn definitely if you use them frequently; gas. The major CON is COMMIT REALLY ARE ADDICTIVE THEMSELVES! Considering that we are dealing with an addict in the first place....we will use Commit constantly. I have a lozenger in my mouth constantly. ...even while sleeping! There has to be a better way. Trying to go down to the 2mg lozenger and use according to the directions. Certainly don't think of cigarettes. Hate them now. Have been on Commit since 2003. Have bad heartburn and ulcers. Concerned about effect on my red blood cells."

Nurscat (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicotrol NS (nicotine): "I would like to offer my personal experience of the nicotine nasal spray as I think potential users should be aware of the harsh reality of this product and the dangers of using this product. I do not think that anywhere in the internet provides a full and comprehensive review of this particular product. This product while satisfying the urges of nicotine withdrawal, has major potential to make the user dependent on the nasal spray. While the desire to smoke generally disappears, the addiction and dependence is on the spray. It is replacing one evil with another in my opinion. The spray has terrible side effects, which again are not fully disclosed anywhere on the internet in my opinion. I will go through the side effects: 1. Severe congestion unlike anything experienced with other NRT products. The spray causes chest and lung congestion as well as nasal congestion. Catarrh becomes immediate as soon as the spray is used. Even by using just one small spray in one nostril. Combatting the congestion becomes a daily chore and nightmare. Relying on cough medicines such as Guaifenesin, Actifed tablets - because the congestion and catarrh is so severe that it inhibits breathing. And sudafed nasal spray to unblock the nose. Again, a blocked nose is experienced immediately after just one spray in the nostril. 2. Immediately after using the spray, the catarrh is so bad that one must either spit it out in a sink or continuously carry tissues with them. Runny nose is a constant - immediately after using the spray but also some time after using the spray. Constantly having to wipe the nose results in skin chafing around the nasal passage area and outside the nostrils and in the worst case, bleeding around the nose. Resulting in again - having to constantly apply cream around the affected area. 3. Perhaps the most severe and the most concerning - nose bleeds. Although some have reported that this only happens when they start using the spray, it is possible that nose bleeds continue on and off throughout the time of using the spray. Nose bleeds causes by irritation from the spray. Imagine a chemical that is so harsh and severe that it causes bleeding. This is shocking. However, the addiction and dependency on this spray becomes so uncontrollable and so strong that one persists with the spray despite nose bleeds. 4. The psychological effects of this spray is another area that has been under reported. Although the spray provides an immediate sense of satisfaction and indeed 'stimulation' as nicotine after all is a powerful stimulant, and in through the nasal passage it is absorbed at high speed of course, thus the effects of this are compelling and indeed enticing. However. The effects only last a few seconds. And then it goes. Leaving one wanting more and more of the spray. As a result the more one takes the less effective the spray becomes. It is a vicious and dangerous cycle. Psychologically one ends up in a state where they are very anxious and worry about where their next 'fix' will come from. And what will happen if they don't have a spray, or run out of the spray in the middle of the night or find themselves in a place where the spray isn't available. The spray one the one hand definitely does stop smokers from smoking cigarettes and is probably the most effective NRT product in that sense, but creates a whole new set of anxieties that did not exist to this extent before. This psychological area needs to be further explored and served as a warning. 5. The cost of the spray is extortionate, especially when compared to other NRT products. In the U.K. The price of the spray is around "

WARNING:NICOTINE NASAL SPRAY (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicotrol Inhaler (nicotine): "This did not work for me at all... I used it whenever I wanted a cigarette, so I didn't ever get rid if the nicotine addiction. Complete waste of time and money."

Ricky F. December 30, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicotrol Inhaler (nicotine): "Let me first say that I really enjoyed smoking! I smoked a pack a day from the time I was 16 yrs old to age 41. Never thought I could or would EVER stop smoking. Until I experienced cramping in my " right" arm, felt like a constant charlie horse. Decided I did not want to have a stroke at age 41. It only took about 2 1/2 months to never want to light up again. Using this nic. inhaler....I did it! So wonderful not to be controlled by an addiction! Please give this a try...to stay on earth a bit longer for your loved ones! Blessed in Maine! You CAN do it!"

Poof/ Female (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Nicobate is rubbish. Nicotill works."

Garth72 November 26, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Habitrol (nicotine): "Don't know how good they r as they wont stick for more than 3 are 4 hrs ...."

Bamma boy (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm currently using the patch and for the most part it has helped. I don't want to smoke and I enjoy the freedom it has once again brought me. But then I get a craving for a cigarette that seems to last up to hours Is this the mental part of withdrawal or is it physical? I honestly don't know I've been on the patch four weeks now. I want to quit, I hate everything about smoking but it scares me when I hear people say, "I quit for 10 years and still want a cig". Other people one I know personally, " quite for 20 yrs and started back smoking again, he's been smoking again for 10 years and he can't explain why he started back. I need help and explanations for the weird cravings I get."

Izzybizyj (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "I made it to the other side. I have been smoke free for two years. I tried again and again to quit, probably took about 10 times before it stuck. I did use the patch each time I quit, but I would always go to the bar, take the patch off and start my pack a day habit again. Smoke for a week, then buy more patches. You have to really want to quit to do it. I think the patch is great at keeping your nicotine cravings at bay while you learn to deal with the mental addiction of quitting. Do whatever it takes, and don't listen to those harpees who say that using a NRT is not really quitting."

former smoker (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicorette (nicotine): "Well, if you ever manage to quit smoking do not ever ever smoke a cigarette again.It does not matter ,how long ago you quit. You will start smoking again.You can not have just one cigarette ever.I quit for 23 years. At a bad time in my life, I smoked two cigarettes and I started smoking again. Then I quit once more. A night with company I smoked one. I started again.A weak ago, I quit. It seems easy with the patch, but they say that very few people succeed to quit with the patch. So far it looks easy. I try not to go near the smokers at work. I feel such a freedom, when during break time I go for a walk and not for a cigarette. I do not feel deprived. I will use the patch for 6 weeks and then will take the gum. Self hypnosis helps a lot"

Anonymous October 27, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "Using this product completely changed my life. I used nicoderm CQ exactly how it stated on the directions. I haven't smoked in 7 weeks. I knew I couldn't quit with out help and after reading all the reviews decided on the patch. I started by cutting back each week the amount of cigarettes I smoked. Finally I was down to one a day. I smoked one a day for 10 days on the 11th day I put on stage 1 of nicoderm CQ. I didn't like the patch on my arms so I put them on my thigh alternating each day. The cravings were less and less each day. I found that drinking ice water through a straw everytime I had a craving helped so much. It kept me hydrated (which eases the amount of cravings) and the straw acted like a cigarette with the sucking."

Sixkracer (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "my experince is with the patches staying on,I put them on excatly as written, but they fall off by the middle of day, they dont stick very well,I make sure skin is dry,I have been told by friends to get the geniric band they stay on better,looks like I am going to have to try those,you would think as much as you have to pay for these they would stick to your skin better and stay on"

dair October 5, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "Day 6 today using Nicoderm CQ and I have to say I am very pleased. Since the first , day I don't feel the urge to smoke... now don't get me wrong.. the "want" is still there but the "need" is gone. I don't feel irritated, or anxious and I can make it through the day without a headache. I have been smoking for a little over 12 yrs and have tried and failed at quitting before. This patch has been (so far) the best quitting tool I've used. I highly recommend this product if your serious about quitting. I feel amazing and I am very happy with how this has been working for me so far. You Got This!!!"

Anonymous September 25, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Commit (nicotine): "Commit are the ONLY thing that ever enabled me not to smoke. Patches, gum, hypnosis - totally useless. First day I took Commit I was over cigs. The prob is that Commit are HIGHLY addictive - as bad as cigs. I found myself later sometimes buying a pack of cigs to take a break from Commit! I used Commit for 12 years. Never was without one in my mouth during waking hrs. I would eat meals with one in my mouth, it was that bad. Recent surgery required I get 100 % off nicotine or DIE, and that finally did it, now I'm out. Commit will get you to stop smoking cigs but then you need a plan to stop Commit too. Don't be fooled, Commit is an addictive drug"

Tost (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "I'm amazed at how successful this patch was for me to quit smoking!!! I've tried several times but failed after 3days on each attempt. I swore I would quit when I turned 50 and I'm proud to say that I HAVE!!! Been smoking since I was 17, had a terrible cough, HBP and smelled terrible. I feel so much better, breathing better and the cough is GONE! HBP is down to normal and I can socialize with my nonsmoking friends without guilt of having that stench! I started Step 1 for two weeks and Step 2 for two weeks... Currently on Step 3 with absolutely NO DESIRE for a cigarette!! I'm telling everyone I know that smokes to try NICODERM bcuz IT WORKS!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2016