User Reviews for Nicotine

Also known as: Commit, Habitrol, Leader Nicotine Polacrilex, Nicoderm CQ, Nicorelief, Nicorette, Nicorette DS, Nicotrol Inhaler, Nicotrol NS, Nicotrol TD, ProStep

Learn more about Nicotine.

Nicotine Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Nicotine to treat Smoking Cessation

Commit (nicotine): "Commit really works if you want to stop smoking. The cons are: stinging or burning at first which goes away; heartburn definitely if you use them frequently; gas. The major CON is COMMIT REALLY ARE ADDICTIVE THEMSELVES! Considering that we are dealing with an addict in the first place....we will use Commit constantly. I have a lozenger in my mouth constantly. ...even while sleeping! There has to be a better way. Trying to go down to the 2mg lozenger and use according to the directions. Certainly don't think of cigarettes. Hate them now. Have been on Commit since 2003. Have bad heartburn and ulcers. Concerned about effect on my red blood cells."

Nurscat (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 22, 2017

Nicotrol NS (nicotine): "I would like to offer my personal experience of the nicotine nasal spray as I think potential users should be aware of the harsh reality of this product and the dangers of using this product. I do not think that anywhere in the internet provides a full and comprehensive review of this particular product. This product while satisfying the urges of nicotine withdrawal, has major potential to make the user dependent on the nasal spray. While the desire to smoke generally disappears, the addiction and dependence is on the spray. It is replacing one evil with another in my opinion. The spray has terrible side effects, which again are not fully disclosed anywhere on the internet in my opinion. I will go through the side effects: 1. Severe congestion unlike anything experienced with other NRT products. The spray causes chest and lung congestion as well as nasal congestion. Catarrh becomes immediate as soon as the spray is used. Even by using just one small spray in one nostril. Combatting the congestion becomes a daily chore and nightmare. Relying on cough medicines such as Guaifenesin, Actifed tablets - because the congestion and catarrh is so severe that it inhibits breathing. And sudafed nasal spray to unblock the nose. Again, a blocked nose is experienced immediately after just one spray in the nostril. 2. Immediately after using the spray, the catarrh is so bad that one must either spit it out in a sink or continuously carry tissues with them. Runny nose is a constant - immediately after using the spray but also some time after using the spray. Constantly having to wipe the nose results in skin chafing around the nasal passage area and outside the nostrils and in the worst case, bleeding around the nose. Resulting in again - having to constantly apply cream around the affected area. 3. Perhaps the most severe and the most concerning - nose bleeds. Although some have reported that this only happens when they start using the spray, it is possible that nose bleeds continue on and off throughout the time of using the spray. Nose bleeds causes by irritation from the spray. Imagine a chemical that is so harsh and severe that it causes bleeding. This is shocking. However, the addiction and dependency on this spray becomes so uncontrollable and so strong that one persists with the spray despite nose bleeds. 4. The psychological effects of this spray is another area that has been under reported. Although the spray provides an immediate sense of satisfaction and indeed 'stimulation' as nicotine after all is a powerful stimulant, and in through the nasal passage it is absorbed at high speed of course, thus the effects of this are compelling and indeed enticing. However. The effects only last a few seconds. And then it goes. Leaving one wanting more and more of the spray. As a result the more one takes the less effective the spray becomes. It is a vicious and dangerous cycle. Psychologically one ends up in a state where they are very anxious and worry about where their next 'fix' will come from. And what will happen if they don't have a spray, or run out of the spray in the middle of the night or find themselves in a place where the spray isn't available. The spray one the one hand definitely does stop smokers from smoking cigarettes and is probably the most effective NRT product in that sense, but creates a whole new set of anxieties that did not exist to this extent before. This psychological area needs to be further explored and served as a warning. 5. The cost of the spray is extortionate, especially when compared to other NRT products. In the U.K. The price of the spray is around "

WARNING:NICOTINE NASAL SPRAY (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2017

Nicotrol Inhaler (nicotine): "This did not work for me at all... I used it whenever I wanted a cigarette, so I didn't ever get rid if the nicotine addiction. Complete waste of time and money."

Ricky F. December 30, 2016

Nicotrol Inhaler (nicotine): "Let me first say that I really enjoyed smoking! I smoked a pack a day from the time I was 16 yrs old to age 41. Never thought I could or would EVER stop smoking. Until I experienced cramping in my " right" arm, felt like a constant charlie horse. Decided I did not want to have a stroke at age 41. It only took about 2 1/2 months to never want to light up again. Using this nic. inhaler....I did it! So wonderful not to be controlled by an addiction! Please give this a try...to stay on earth a bit longer for your loved ones! Blessed in Maine! You CAN do it!"

Poof/ Female (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2016

"Nicobate is rubbish. Nicotill works."

Garth72 November 26, 2016

Habitrol (nicotine): "Don't know how good they r as they wont stick for more than 3 are 4 hrs ...."

Bamma boy (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2016

"I'm currently using the patch and for the most part it has helped. I don't want to smoke and I enjoy the freedom it has once again brought me. But then I get a craving for a cigarette that seems to last up to hours Is this the mental part of withdrawal or is it physical? I honestly don't know I've been on the patch four weeks now. I want to quit, I hate everything about smoking but it scares me when I hear people say, "I quit for 10 years and still want a cig". Other people one I know personally, " quite for 20 yrs and started back smoking again, he's been smoking again for 10 years and he can't explain why he started back. I need help and explanations for the weird cravings I get."

Izzybizyj (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "I made it to the other side. I have been smoke free for two years. I tried again and again to quit, probably took about 10 times before it stuck. I did use the patch each time I quit, but I would always go to the bar, take the patch off and start my pack a day habit again. Smoke for a week, then buy more patches. You have to really want to quit to do it. I think the patch is great at keeping your nicotine cravings at bay while you learn to deal with the mental addiction of quitting. Do whatever it takes, and don't listen to those harpees who say that using a NRT is not really quitting."

former smoker (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2016

Nicorette (nicotine): "Well, if you ever manage to quit smoking do not ever ever smoke a cigarette again.It does not matter ,how long ago you quit. You will start smoking again.You can not have just one cigarette ever.I quit for 23 years. At a bad time in my life, I smoked two cigarettes and I started smoking again. Then I quit once more. A night with company I smoked one. I started again.A weak ago, I quit. It seems easy with the patch, but they say that very few people succeed to quit with the patch. So far it looks easy. I try not to go near the smokers at work. I feel such a freedom, when during break time I go for a walk and not for a cigarette. I do not feel deprived. I will use the patch for 6 weeks and then will take the gum. Self hypnosis helps a lot"

Anonymous October 27, 2016

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "Using this product completely changed my life. I used nicoderm CQ exactly how it stated on the directions. I haven't smoked in 7 weeks. I knew I couldn't quit with out help and after reading all the reviews decided on the patch. I started by cutting back each week the amount of cigarettes I smoked. Finally I was down to one a day. I smoked one a day for 10 days on the 11th day I put on stage 1 of nicoderm CQ. I didn't like the patch on my arms so I put them on my thigh alternating each day. The cravings were less and less each day. I found that drinking ice water through a straw everytime I had a craving helped so much. It kept me hydrated (which eases the amount of cravings) and the straw acted like a cigarette with the sucking."

Sixkracer (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2016

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "my experince is with the patches staying on,I put them on excatly as written, but they fall off by the middle of day, they dont stick very well,I make sure skin is dry,I have been told by friends to get the geniric band they stay on better,looks like I am going to have to try those,you would think as much as you have to pay for these they would stick to your skin better and stay on"

dair October 5, 2016

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "Day 6 today using Nicoderm CQ and I have to say I am very pleased. Since the first , day I don't feel the urge to smoke... now don't get me wrong.. the "want" is still there but the "need" is gone. I don't feel irritated, or anxious and I can make it through the day without a headache. I have been smoking for a little over 12 yrs and have tried and failed at quitting before. This patch has been (so far) the best quitting tool I've used. I highly recommend this product if your serious about quitting. I feel amazing and I am very happy with how this has been working for me so far. You Got This!!!"

Anonymous September 25, 2016

Commit (nicotine): "Commit are the ONLY thing that ever enabled me not to smoke. Patches, gum, hypnosis - totally useless. First day I took Commit I was over cigs. The prob is that Commit are HIGHLY addictive - as bad as cigs. I found myself later sometimes buying a pack of cigs to take a break from Commit! I used Commit for 12 years. Never was without one in my mouth during waking hrs. I would eat meals with one in my mouth, it was that bad. Recent surgery required I get 100 % off nicotine or DIE, and that finally did it, now I'm out. Commit will get you to stop smoking cigs but then you need a plan to stop Commit too. Don't be fooled, Commit is an addictive drug"

Tost (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2016

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "I'm amazed at how successful this patch was for me to quit smoking!!! I've tried several times but failed after 3days on each attempt. I swore I would quit when I turned 50 and I'm proud to say that I HAVE!!! Been smoking since I was 17, had a terrible cough, HBP and smelled terrible. I feel so much better, breathing better and the cough is GONE! HBP is down to normal and I can socialize with my nonsmoking friends without guilt of having that stench! I started Step 1 for two weeks and Step 2 for two weeks... Currently on Step 3 with absolutely NO DESIRE for a cigarette!! I'm telling everyone I know that smokes to try NICODERM bcuz IT WORKS!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2016

Nicotrol Inhaler (nicotine): "I'm 7months pregnant and was smoking 1 pack a day. I have smoked for 26 years and was Not happy with what I was doing to our baby,so I went to my doctor and pleaded to her to help me quit. My doctor helped me by putting me on the Nicorette inhalator. Wow I'm not even craving fag and feel a lot better. On cloud nine at the moment and it's been only 2 days without fags. Love it. X no side effects."

Chicken 2016 uk June 18, 2016

ProStep (nicotine): "It worked to help me stop chewing tobacco, only issue I had was it requires a spot that was hairless "

Jd2james June 15, 2016

Nicotrol Inhaler (nicotine): "Patches always fell off and gum tastes like Tabasco mixed with ashes... but I tried nicotrol and made it 6 weeks and was fine... it was like not even trying and I smoked 1.5 to 2 packs for 18+ years. I also love how they know how smokers are so they have the case etc to make it easy and no stupid vape crap. I keep the 3rd month just in case but never touched it and ended up tossing it... The key is you want to quit and not others forcing you and YOU are ready then try this since it comes a month at a time and I spent 50 a month which was what a week used to be.. so no reason not to try since 2009 I been smoke free and I watch people who do want to quit struggle vaping and never quit. use this and save your lungs/money"

Johndoelost June 11, 2016

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "Hello all I'm 26 years old I been smoking since I was 18, idk why or how just picked it up to look kool, now at 26 after many chest pains anxiety attacks and stomach aches and I know 100000% it was me smoking which was causing me all those things! It's been now 1 full week and after many nicotine gums hookah pens all of that I can honestly say this Patch is a blessing ! I have not had anxiety from not smoking not one chest pain this patch is amazing !! Works wonders I started on step 2! I highly recommend this to anybody who wants to stop smoking! It's also will power everybody ! Good luck save your body while you can!"

Blessing4u (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2016

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "I have smoked for about 11 years. Quit cold turkey with each of my 3 pregnancies and had no issue. For some reason about 3-4 weeks after giving birth I was back to a pack a day. I tried the gum but didn't have success. It doesn't last in my system long enough and when a craving struck I couldn't pick up the gum, I picked up the car keys to get to the nearest gas station for a pack of smokes! So I decided to try the patch since it is a continuous stream of nicotine I thought maybe this would work better. I have zero physical symptoms. I still get that "oh, I need a smoke now" feeling but am better able to say no to it. I honestly didn't think it would work but it does! And the itching is unbearable! But only lasted about an hour for me."

Long time on-off smoker May 17, 2016

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "Quit smoking for almost 6 years and one day out of no where, and for no reason, i was CRAVING a cigarette and wasn't long until I was back up to a pack a day :( every pack I bought, every cigarette I smoked made me feel so gross, yet my mind kept telling me I needed it. Opted to try the patch, free with my health insurance. Just finished my first day and it was pretty smooth, stressful at work and hung out with a co worker on lunch while she smoked and I was almost gagging! Icky icky icky! But not once did I want to smoke! I'm confident it is working, its the CVS brand and it sticks pretty well. Took it off to shower and popped it right back on, after reading reviews and going through the information insert, I'm worried about sleeping and having weird dreams lol hopefully it wont be too bad, small price to pay as opposed to continuing to smoke. I do have moments where I go into auto pilot and I reach for a pack that isn't there and I think "oh yea I don't smoke" and I just go back to what I was doing. Last time I quit, I went through a few weeks of really bad anxiety and I haven't had any episodes or any feelings of anxiety. Just waiting for time to pass. :) will be on step 1 for 6 weeks and down to step 2 for 4 weeks, and step 3 for 1 week I think. Tomorrow I need to spray my car down cuz the smell makes me sick to my stomach! Excited to smell good again!"

jayperse (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2016

Nicotrol Inhaler (nicotine): "I tried it and I found that you could cheat with the product but I finally decided to give it all up. I have been smoke-free for 16 years now and enjoy smelling and tasting the real things in life. I don't miss smoking at all and I was a pack a day or more."

Bro D (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 11, 2016

Nicotrol Inhaler (nicotine): "Haven't started using it yet. Read a lot of good reviews anxious to talk to others that have I'll need all the help I can get. Been a smoker for about 40 yrs. ---soon as I get up it's coffee and smokes. I have COPD it's not bad.I really need to start walking and I have a lot of back & leg pain. Well enough. "

Lije February 8, 2016

Leader Nicotine Polacrilex (nicotine): "I started polacrilex gum at 2mg strength to try to quit. Bought it from the supermarket. I used two pieces in one day. The suggestion to "use at least 9 pieces per day" on the instructions seemed a bit excessive for a casual smoker like myself. I experienced a sore throat by the end of my workday at 5, and by night it was worse. It has been bothering me for two days. I think the medicine (or something else in it) just really irritated my throat, but if it persists, I'm going to see a doctor. Probably wouldn't happen to everyone, but perhaps something to consider before buying!"

Ouchhhhhhhh January 31, 2016

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "This medication, when used properly, is a life-saver when you are trying to quit smoking! I say "when used properly" because I did not use it properly at first. In addition to Step 1 patch I would also smoke a pack a day - NOT how you want to quit! Once I put down the cigarettes, this patch works! I used the 21mg patches for a week, then went down to Step 2 (14mg) bc the 1st step caused itching, redness and swelling on my arm. It has now been 2 and 1/2 weeks and I haven't smoked at all! From 20 years of a pack a day to nothing is truly amazing. I am hoping to be free me from the bondage of smoking Good luck on your journey to quit! It is worth it;YOU are worth it!"

BananaRose January 19, 2016

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): "The only thing I've tried that works. These patches are GREAT! I have no sensations at all. If you're a heavy smoker and really want to stop smoking, I recommend you use these. I will NEVER smoke again because of these patches. I also use the Nicotine Gum."

Antwan87 January 1, 2016