User Reviews for Mupirocin topical to treat Skin and Structure Infection

Also known as: Bactroban, Centany, Centany AT Kit, Centany Kit, Centany AT Pirnuo

Mupirocin topical has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 23 ratings for the treatment of Skin and Structure Infection. 61% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 35% reported a negative effect.

Mupirocin topical Rating Summary

6.7/10 average rating

Compare all 93 medications used in the treatment of Skin and Structure Infection.

Reviews for Mupirocin topical

Anonymous October 16, 2009

Bactroban (mupirocin): “As a correctional nurse specializing in wound care, I have found that this heals abcesses and "spider bites" with amazing speed. Noticeable healing within 24 hours. Wish it were available OTC, it would be a staple in my medicine cabinet.”

Youngone · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2020

“I do not like this antibiotic cream mupirocin! It has been prescribed to me a few times (I’m prone to skin infections) and each time has only made my condition worse. The first time it caused terrible burning and increased redness and this past time it caused my skin to peel along with more redness and itchiness than I had before. I know many people have a positive experience with it but just know that you might experience negative side effects.”

Anonymous December 4, 2008

Bactroban (mupirocin): “I was first given this product while traveling in the Philippines. The pharmacist recommended Bactroban to treat a mild skin infection on my foot which I got from wearing flip flops too long in wet, sandy conditions. The area cleared up in less than two days. It has been in my medicine cabinet ever since.”

beverly1956 · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2012

Bactroban (mupirocin): “As per procedure, before a hospital stay for a knee replacement I had to have my nose swabbed. Prior to this I had a scab in my nose that hurt so I had been using Bactroban on it. When I went for my surgery everyone was gowning up before they came into my room because apparently my nose swab results came back positive for MRSA, and the Bactroban was detected as well. I was told Bactroban was the right medicine to use for the infection and actually by the time of my surgery my nose was already healed.”

Danglers December 11, 2018

“I had these horrible bumps all over the sides of my nose (especially the cracks on the sides) and up across my bridge between eyebrows that would get bright red after a shower and peel some too! I looked stupid! Tired of this, I dug around in my med sac and found a lil tube of mupirocin ointment. So I smeared it generously all over my nose, eyebrows, and mouth. The next day, some of the bumps were gone, and the ones that weren't were shrinking! It's nearing the end of day 2, and the bumps are almost completely gone. It does burn if you use too much but that just means it's working so it's ok. Summary: Smear mupirocin liberally on the affected area, if it burns and itches, dial it back one click, and just try to stay right in that slot. Give it a day or two and soon enough you'll be looking like a baby's butt.”

Anonymous March 25, 2010

Bactroban (mupirocin): “This medication is a miracle drug. My 4yr old daughter had a rash that nothing could cure then 2 days after using this cream, I saw an amazing difference. She has extremely dry skin in the winter which she scratches to the point of bleeding sometimes, but not anymore. At the first sign of dry/irritated skin, I apply this cream and it works like magic. Also used it on a rash I developed on my legs and the same thing. The itching stops almost immediately. This cream is a staple in our medicine cabinet.”

Mendel Lav · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 4, 2019

Bactroban (mupirocin): “I've used this for years with nasal sores and skin sores. Usually after 2 to 3 days the infection clears up. Very helpful medication. There may be slight nasal burning that may last for a minute or two.”

For so many things January 26, 2011

Bactroban (mupirocin): “Was first given this for a skin infection on face that began on younger daughter 12 then spread to mother and older daughter. It was like acne that would not heal and would scab and spread. Worked well. ”

JamesLevster · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2016

Bactroban (mupirocin): “I had a heat rash in my groin and it was red and very irritating. I used a small amount if the ointment twice a day after showering. Within 24 hours, the irritation was bearable, within 48 hours the irritation had stopped and within 72 hours the redness had faded. I still have dull red marks where the skin was damaged but the rash has totally gone. This, is a fantastic product for heat rash and also, if you have an insect bite, it stops the itching within 2 minutes. Can be bought over the counter in most Asian countries. Cost here in the Philippines is 299 pesos or around $7. Bargain!”

LOWRYDER February 6, 2009

Bactroban (mupirocin): “My doctor told me to use it on my ears as I was getting yellow and red bumps that were painful to the touch. This stuff really works. My ears cleared up in about 4 to 5 day. The only side effect I had was it felt like my ears were getting a little warm for about 5 minutes but that soon went away.”

Anonymous December 13, 2009

Bactroban (mupirocin): “Using this on 5 year old's impetigo. She has a nasty lesion on the web on skin between her index and third finger. Nothing was helping it, but within one application of this stuff I saw a difference. I'm grateful to whoever discovered this product.”

jock February 14, 2020

Bactroban (mupirocin): “I was prescribed this cream for an infected hair follicle near my groin. The cream was used in conjunction with an oral antibiotic and worked well after just two days , however , the area in which the cream was used became intensely itchy to the point of waking me from my sleep . I ceased its usage and completed the internal antibiotic .”

Charlie · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2019

“mupirocin worked on the skin infection, but now I have horrible stomach cramps and pain after eating. It seems it happens in very few people. Taking a probiotic but it's not going away after stopping the meds for 3 days.”

Youmustbekidding · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 23, 2020

“Actual cost of prescription Bactroban Mupirocin 2% cream was $291.69 for 15 grams. My drug plan only required my payment of $3.60. But $288.07 is being "paid" for by all of you (us), in high insurance and health care costs. This Rx has been on the market for a long time/ I should have asked about the actual cost before having the prescription filled, as I would not have had it filled, even at no cost to me. And, because prescriptions are electronically filed, I never saw that 15 grams - far too much had been ordered. I am filing complaints with every government entity, and the manufacturer. I won't let this happen again. As to length of time using mupirocin calcium cream 2%, it has been only used very sporadically for the last 8 years, and in tiny amounts. I have had no side effects. But I might have seen results with other, cheap, OTC antibacterial/antibiotic ointments. I will rate the cream at 10, because it provided relief, and possibly healing.”

SmrciJ April 15, 2016

“I have had a recurring scabby skin infection. Primary care physician prescribed this, did not work, then went to dermatologist, re-prescribed still does not work. It was first thought that condition is Impetigo. I am now waiting on the 2nd lab test. Feeling hopeless and frustrated.”

Joe, VIETNAM · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2017

Bactroban (mupirocin): “As in any tropical country , shoes are a not a comfortable item to wear. The down side of that is your feet are exposed for knocks and scrapes. I have been using an Iodine type product in the past , My doctor in Australia prescribed Bactroban as cream for my condition...It has twice the recovery healing times as iodine , Would recommend it for your first aid pack.”

Crmbks · Taken for less than 1 month June 12, 2016

“MD prescribed Mupirocin cream for what he thought was impetigo but swab was negative. Turned out to be roseaca. Cream did not help and actually caused nausea, diarrhea and dizziness. After I stopped using cream, my symptoms disappeared. I'm hyper sensitive to antibiotics and this one is now on the list.”

MSD April 25, 2021

“Prescribed for prophylactic use on surgical incision with skin graft (surgical removal of squamous cell carcinomas on lower legs) , to keep graft moist. dressing to be changed once or twice a day for 5-6 weeks. Second day began to feel burning at incisions. After third day, woke with widespread hives on trunk, groin and upper arms and legs. Diminished with OTC oral antihistamine. Next morning woke with similar widespread hives. Reported this to MD who, nurse reported, didn't think I could have absorbed enough to cause systemic hives. Continued use caused swelling in ankles and feet, widespread weeping rash of an angry purple. I stopped using the ointment without medical approval, which was forthcoming at the two week follow-up. I discovered subsequently that there is a direct statement that the ointment is not to be used to avoid bacterial infection on post surgical lesions.”

5564 August 17, 2008

Bactroban (mupirocin): “It's great.”

Anonymous July 20, 2011

Bactroban (mupirocin): “This cream is causing stinging and burning. ”

eddie121 May 18, 2015

Bactroban (mupirocin): “Got this cream to stop recurring boils on my upper leg and elbow , applied it within 48 hrs the infection was healing ! Magic stuff,wow !”

Anonymous January 7, 2012

Bactroban (mupirocin): “Love this medicine. I got impetigo a few years back. A few days of applying this and it was completely gone. Works great for acne, too. Something I always keep in my medicine cabinet. ”

Nge · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2019

Bactroban (mupirocin): “Give me hives and blister on the skin and itchy.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 11, 2012

Bactroban (mupirocin): “After 3 days infection is not getting better.”

psfrankj · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2017

“I had cellulitis near my ankle. Upon application of this drug I experienced severe burning, bumpy rash on both legs and arms. Resulted in nerve damage near my ankle/site of cellulitis. Beware!”