User Reviews for Mefenamic acid

Also known as: Ponstel

Learn more about Mefenamic acid.

Period Pain 32 reviews 82 medications

6.8
Pain 1 reviews 1092 medications

Summary of Mefenamic acid reviews 33 reviews 3.9

Reviews for Mefenamic acid

For Period Pain: "I have been on mefenamic acid for my most recent period only, but it had done absolutely nothing for me. Would definitely recommend codeine instead."

JelloManiac (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2016

For Period Pain: "Like so many others I've had all the severe symptoms of endometriosis without actually having endometriosis. No form of contraception works & I've tried the lot. I'm now 36 and am going in next month for endometrial ablation. My Gyneacologist put me on Ponstan & another acid but it has not helped. Also I have horrible abdominal pain & bloating which keeps me up all night. I've had to stop taking it & need strong pain killers to cope. Forget going to work. Has anyone else had these problems? I'd love to know if these symptoms are more common than we know. Good luck girls!!!"

Mumma327 September 4, 2016

For Period Pain: "I've had debilitating period cramps ever since I got my first period(I was 12 then.) I'd break out in a cold sweat, start getting dizzy and shake uncontrollably. On top of that my legs would hurt like hell, and it would feel as if someone was punching my womb from the inside out. My mother (a doctor who never had such cramps herself) has been giving it to me ever since. I'm twenty four now, and always knock back a ponstan with a cup of regular tea when I start getting the familiar cramps. At best it kicks in within fifteen minutes, at worst it takes about an hour. Eating a toast or anything warm with the tea makes the pill work faster; taking it without eating anything first has given me stomach troubles and also somewhat reduces the effect"

Remyff July 14, 2016

For Period Pain: "I first had my period when I was 10 and never had a month went by where I don't get dysmenorrhea, a really painful I'm almost dying kind of pain. I've been taking it every time I get my period and had always been worked. I'm 23 now and it still works for me, I've never used anything else."

AsherCharli July 4, 2016

For Period Pain: "I take mefenamic acid for endometriosis. I have to say it has helped me greatly. I definitely notice if I don"t take it. It's an ant-inflammatory so I take it everyday. You need to build it up in your system it doesn't work as instant pain relief. So if you take it for your period you need to start taking it the week before. It is in the same family as ibuprofen so it can upset your stomach. Make you take it with food and if you are going to be on it for a long time. Take something to protect your stomach. I can't say it helped with the heaviness but the pain definitely."

Áine-Maire June 26, 2016

For Period Pain: "Mefanamic acid is a game changer. I use to vomit, have diarreah, light headed, dizzy, pass out and just be in horrific pain. Since I've started taking mefanamic acid I've been able to actually be able to do things during my period. However it doesn't take away all of my pain nausea it's however allowed me to get a week of my life back each month"

Jessassfuklllpob May 20, 2016

For Period Pain: "I was prescribed this a year ago, for endometriosis. It was for pain and heavy flow. For pain, I found them ineffective, and just as the comment below me says I found myself getting far more cramping. So it seems to make the pain worse for me. However, I still take this on really bad months. It has helped the heaviness. I was originally prescribed that when I had a period going for over 2 months and when I took it for less than a week my period stopped. So if I ever get periods that refuse to go away I resort back to this. It seems to have mixed reviews. I have aso tried Naproxen, this works better for pain but does nothing for the heaviness. But really helps with cramping."

Meepmeep (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2016

For Period Pain: "So my doctor prescribed this medicine for me yesterday, so far I've taken 5 pills since then (3 doses a day). She prescribed it to me to regulate my period and stop my blood flow as I've had 3 periods since Janurary 30th. Now, here I am, assuming that this would actually work as it was recommended by my gyno. Completely wrong. Ever since I've taken it I've had non-stop cramps and been very uncomfortable, my period is still yet to stop, and I still have all the typical emotions that come along with periods. I hardly ever even get cramps and when I do, they hardly hurt. So it's definitely the medicine causing these pains. Also, this medicine is basically just a higher form of ibuprofen. Wouldn't recommend to anyone with period problems"

HollyK99 (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2016

For Period Pain: "Hi everyone, I have used mefenamic acid for period pain twice so far and will probably not be using it again. I will still give it a decent review since it helped a lot with my period pain and lessened the bleeding, but after taking one 500mg tablet the first time (with dinner) I got a stabbing pain in my stomach and severe nausea, however it went away after about an hour. After about 10 hours I started to just take ibuprofene for the rest of the period. Next time my period was a bit early so I had to take M. Acid for the pain again, used it twice with about 10 hours in between, ended up with stomach pain, nausea and diarrhea the next few days (still have it and my period is done). Hope it won't last..."

SophiesWorld February 13, 2016

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "Does not work at all; on the top of all regular symptoms I got the significant side effects of a drug. Going back to Tylenol at least has no problem with side effects, works for pain a little."

Willow5 February 12, 2016

For Period Pain: "Reduced heavy bleeding and cramps from fibroids but my hair from my head, has started to fall out. Lots of hair is now on my floor, bed sheets and pillow. I am not taking any other type of drug except one instant Nescaf"

JCMHW February 6, 2016

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "I have been suffering from endometriosis since I was 12. Unbelievable pain, heavy bleeding, vomiting, the works. Most of the time, I could barely walk during my menstrual sycle. My old ob doc recommended this medicine when I was 18 and she gave me a sample. It relieved my cramping so much and helped with my other symptoms. The only downside to this medication is that it is very expensive and most insurance companies only approve the generic, which I cannot take."

Mittenstaylor October 19, 2015

For Period Pain: "I was prescribed mefenam acid for menstrual pain, took it as directed...and it did absolutely nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. I might as well have taken a sugar pill. I was actually shocked to see that so many people love it so much, because I had been under the impression it was complete garbage. Judging by the other reviews I've seen, it's worth a try. But be aware there is a chance it won't do anything."

TurtleJar May 2, 2015

For Period Pain: "I've took this for the first time today. I was prescribed it after very painful periods and advised to take when I have pain for as many days as I need (the first day being so bad I am crying in pain and having time off work) I started to get period cramps today took 1 dose and within an hour had no pain at all. I usually have vomiting and diarrhea with the first day but this has disappeared as well. It has also made my period so much lighter. Best medication I have had for period pain."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2015

For : "My neurologist prescribed me mefenamic acid to stop my migraines. We had also tried Topamax (made me crazy). The only medicine that works is Relpax."

Migraine queen (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2014

For Period Pain: "I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and during my periods can literally only lie on the floor screaming without these tablets. They're amazing. I do have to take codeine as well for maximum pain control but this is what takes 3/4 of the pain away."

Nick21sssss December 20, 2014

For Period Pain: "I started this medication 'Mefenamic/Ponstan' over 3 months ago and only use it when I am on my period. I have severe cramps and intense pain especially the first day of my period and have tried all kinds of medications to try counter the pain. The pain would be quite intense and leave me practically unable to carry on with my daily routine, instead I would lie around,rolling around in bed withering with the pain. I switched doctors and she recommended this to me, I only take it once,the same day I get my period when I feel the pain escalating, the pill kicks in within 30 minutes and I was amazed with the effects. with no side effects to report I have to say it has been a lifesaver! No other pill has worked for me the way this pill has"

emrosh May 6, 2014

For Pain: "I found while mefenamic acid worked, I suffered from almost all the minor side effects and the medium side effects, all after taking the medicine for a month. I have been in constant pain from the side effects and I am not taking it anymore, been off for about 2 months and still suffering."

Stella137 February 14, 2014

For Period Pain: "I have only started using this medication which I have been prescribed by my GP and it relieved me of most symptoms. I experienced most symptoms of painful periods ranging from vomiting to very severe cramps. This medicine worked within about 10-20 minutes however some cramps can still be felt but very minor."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2013

For Period Pain: "I always have a pain during my period and sometimes it pains really bad! So I took mefenamic tablets as my doctor prescribed and it really worked on me. It hardly took 10-15 minutes to ease the pain but I always felt dizzy after taking 1 tablet! I sometimes took 1/2 tablet during lesser pain which still worked out for me!"

winy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2013

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "As a 17 year old I have taken these pills sparingly during the beginning of my most painful cycles. Depending on the severity of the pain the medicine can take from 15 minutes to an hour to take effect (the longer time for the more painful cycles). Also severe cramps may still be felt when the medicine is in full swing although it feels like a minor cramp."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 8, 2012

For Period Pain: "This medicine was effective for pain but it left me with chronic GASTRITIS and NAUSEA."

Noise.noisy (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2012

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "I have endometriosis and I have been suffering from serious period pain since I was 11 when I started having my period. I have been on a list of birth control pills that have not worked properly with my body. I asked about Ponstel after I had my surgery and he prescribed it right away. I have pain in between and during my period (so basically all the time) so he said take it as needed. It only takes a few pills and I will feel absolutely wonderful like I'm living on a cloud when it kicks in. I don't think it takes more than 20 minutes for it to start working. "

Anonymous February 4, 2012

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for : "I have a big ovarian cyst on my right ovary so my doctor told me to try Pontsel but I've been using it and nothing has changed for me."

Anonymous September 23, 2011

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "About 16 years ago I began having severe vomiting and some abdominal pain with my period. My symptoms were debilitating monthly for 3-5 days and greatly limited my daily activities. I tried over the counter remedies such as Advil, Tylenol, Naproxen and Pamprin none of which did anything to alleviate my symptoms. Then I tried Ponstel. My mother had been taking Ponstel for years for the same problems so we thought it was worth a try. What a difference it made! It took the edge off the pain and totally relieved the vomiting. To be the most effective, it does have to be taken at the onset or just before the onset of symptoms. The only down side to it is that insurance companies don't want to cover it, and it isn't cheap."

Anonymous September 23, 2011