User Reviews for Mefenamic acid

Period Pain   5.9
Pain   3.3

Reviews for Mefenamic acid

Fai · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 5, 2021

For Period Pain: “I’ve been taking them for over a year now during my periods. They have not been very helpful regarding my cramps and pain I get it but, do lighten my flow so I don’t feel as weak and tired anymore during my periods.”

Lala45 · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2021

For Period Pain: “After my second dose, I went to bed. I got up after a couple hours as I couldn’t sleep through the cramps. All of a sudden I had the worst pain I have ever experienced through my whole abdomen. I was on the floor about to black out or vomit from the pain, debating on calling an ambulance. The pain went away after several minutes thankfully, but I have never been in such agony. I won’t be taking this again.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 17, 2020

For Period Pain: “My period cramps are debilitating to the point of vomiting, chills, nausea and dizziness. I started taking mefenamic acid about a year or two ago beginning on the first day of my period; two in the morning, two in the afternoon, two at night. I take them for 3-4 days. They were truly the solution for me! All pain was gone which meant no vomiting or nausea, and I never had any side effects from the medication. However, the past 5-6 months, I've been experiencing vomiting, diarrhea, and pain on my first day of my period, sometimes lasting into the second day. This is not a result of the pills as it happens before I take them, BUT the pills haven't been working as well to ease the pain or these symptoms, even if taken on time. My cramps used to disappear when I took these pills, now remains a dull ache or sometimes cramps totally unaffected by the pill. Odd. Overall I've had a very pleasant experience with this medication - just seems my body has been doing its own thing lately.”

Kitty · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 17, 2020

For Period Pain: “I have been taking Mefenamic Acid 500mg tablets for over 2 years now. I suffer with heavy painful periods and have done for many years. I take this medication when my period begins and throughout the days of my period. I also take paracetamol alongside it. It has made a massive difference in my life! It has reduced bleeding and helped with pain, but I do need paracetamol in addition as it won't help with the pain if I take it alone. Just recently it hasn't been as effective, meaning my bleeding appears to have increased, so I'm now looking at alternatives. However, all in all, it has been extremely helpful for me over the past couple of years. The side effects can be horrendous! IF you don't eat just before taking this. I have used this on an empty stomach and really suffered with severe back pain, really crippling pain. This doesn't happen if I follow the correct guidelines and take on a full stomach.”

Twilightgirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2020

For Period Pain: “I suffer with very bad period pain so much so that I have been hospitalised with it! These pills not only help me with my bleeding (reduce it) they also solve my pain within 15 minutes!”

banana · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

For Period Pain: “I have horrible period cramps, I took two capsules and then after six hours I took one and continued to do that for two days. This did nothing for my cramps. They still feel like someone is murdering my vagina. It’s ridiculous and overall made me feel worse.”

Unknown 2 · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2020

For Period Pain: “I have never taken tablets that give me such bad side effects. When I take these I have to stay absolutely still for a good hour otherwise if I do move and they’re kicking in I get Severe lower back and stomach pain. To the point where I’m shaking and have to get on my hands and knees. And the slowing of the blood loss was very very delayed and slow. Still bleeding a week after I started taking them.”

Anonymous April 4, 2020

For Period Pain: “Have used almost all types of painkillers for period cramps but yesterday got ponstan after it was recommended by a pharmacist and it worked for me but the second day of taking ponstan it's not working even after adding another tablet it's not working am in a lot of pain right now having taken 2 500 mg ponstan I can't take another painkiller ”

Harlow · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 6, 2020

For Period Pain: “I have taken mefenamic acid for the past 6 years starting periods when I was 14, this medication used to help me so much and made my periods barely noticeable. now though, they don't even touch the pain I'm in every month.”

Red · Taken for 10 years or more February 2, 2020

For Period Pain: “Never use this drug mefenamic acid which I started using at 17age for super bad periods. From then it had started but I never noticed it's strong side effects..at the age 28 I understood I AM highly allergic to this ”

Eternal · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 25, 2020

For Period Pain: “I have always had awful periods & anxiety with knowing that if I am working when my period is due I will physically be unable to move, so pain relief was something I really needed as I can’t miss work a couple days every month.. I was on the pill previously which had numbed the pain slightly but was still awful, I took feminax express as well as being on the pill and this helped but not so much with pains in my legs and took a long time. I asked my doctor if there was anyway I could have pain relief without the pill as I was gaining a lot of weight and not really feeling any better. I got suggested this and I take it one day before my period is due and on the day with some sort of food. It has really reduced blood flow drastically and has left me with literally no pain! I feel very dizzy on these tablets and my legs feel like jelly but with no pain I can deal with this! I would recommend these greatly.”

Jade December 11, 2019

For Period Pain: “I've been experiencing extreme pain from my back, stomach & legs ever since I got my first period at age 11 (I am now 24), I took two mefenamic tablets for the first time today & have not experienced any relief at all. What was extremely unusual is the anger & rage that I've experienced all afternoon after taking these tablets. I have never felt or experienced this before & its completely out of character for me to feel this way. I know for certain it was the effects from these tablets, after reading some of the side effects that you can experience, nervousness & depression being some of them, I would highly recommend not taking them.”

Red · Taken for 10 years or more December 10, 2019

For Period Pain: “I think it works in up to your twenty's age. But if you have been using long term it doesn't help and ends up with more stomach problems, more severe pains. Please stop using it..it makes ur pain increase month by month slowly. I feel like it is just a slow poison...”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 27, 2019

For Period Pain: “I have found that I have to take this as soon as I feel any twinges for it to work and I take codeine at the same time. It massively reduced blood flow and made the cramps bearable. This month I am back to being shaky, nauseous and sweating. But I have anxiety and depression and both these things exaggerate pain hugely. Relaxation is a big key to better periods!”

Splo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 9, 2019

For Period Pain: “I have endometriosis and adenomyosis. This painkiller has been a life saver. I sometimes have to top up with additional painkillers but I could not cope without mefenamic.”

Jess · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2019

For Period Pain: “The first day of my period I would get severe cramps. I would vomit and also not be able to eat a single thing. I would just sit in my bed in severe severe pain I felt like i was being stabbed over and over again. I would also get diarrhoea .Then my GP recommend this medication and the only thing it helped with is my nausea. But the problem was I didn't care about that I just cared about is my period cramps not hurting as much. To be honest this pill made my period cramps even WORSE. I don't know how that was possible. I felt like I was in labour and being stabbed at the same time.”

Nikki · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2019

For Period Pain: “Hello, I’m Nikki , with my periods I have gotten severe pain in my back and stomach, I throw up every time, headaches, you name it. I’ve tried Feminax, Ibuprofen, codeine, and now mefenamic acid. I just started the mini pill hoping that it would be enough to stop the severe pain but because I just started it a week ago, it has only delayed it. I’m sure that the mini pill will kick into high gear within the next two cycles, but why I wait I was given mefenamic acid. I tried it for only a day it did nothing it might have well been taking a sugar pill. For me it doesn’t work, maybe for you it will, but I’m mad because I still had to go through all that pain and vomiting for no relief.”

Gramoo September 12, 2019

For Pain: “What a joke for pain!!!!!!!”

Katriel September 6, 2019

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: “I used ponstan for a while. once I stopped because it just stopped working after about 2 weeks, I gave up. Well I then started to get cramps from eating gluten products so ponstan brought up an allergy and since then almost 2 years ago I've had to eat gluten free cardboard-like food. , I was FINE before this tablet.”

Katymd009 · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2019

For Period Pain: “I was recommended this medicine after a night in the hospital because of severe cramps, but when I took this the cramps stopped. But now I am with severe stomach pain and nausea, I can't eat and already spent two nights in the hospital and nobody knows how to stop it. Don't recommend it.”

Jess · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2019

For Period Pain: “I get extreme period cramps, I physically shake and I throw up. It’s horrible. I get period pains through out the month even when I’m not on my period but they aren’t as bad as they are when I’m actually on my period. I went to the doctor about this and they prescribed me Mefenamic Acid and it didn’t help with my pains at all. I felt even more sick when I took it and had no effect on me. Luckily I’ve had no bad side effects but I’ve now stopped taking it as it doesn’t work”

Mich · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 19, 2019

For Period Pain: “I get severe cramping every month from periods as I have severe Stenosis of the Cervix. Ponstan is the only thing that relieves my cramping - it's a godsend!”

Jess · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2018

For Period Pain: “I woke up this morning clenching my stomach and even vomited from how bad my period pains were. I took the tablets and had a nap when I woke I had no pain and blood flow had reduced a lot too. ”

Kate1001 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 28, 2018

For Period Pain: “I wish I’d been offered this much earlier. Over the last 2 to 3 years my periods had been getting gradually heavier. Rather than the awful migraine I used to have, the worst pain started to come from stomach as I hit mid 30s. I went to see a doctor and she prescribed these. Advised me to take as soon as I felt my period coming. I think this plays a major part in the effectiveness. Obviously everyone is different but for me they work a treat. The stomach pain is still there but no where near as bad. I paid the standard one off prescription charge here in uk for over a years worth.”

Rose · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2018

For Period Pain: “I have PCOS causing severe period pain, vomiting and fever that can last days and causes me to miss work. Trying Ponstan for first time today, so far it’s working, I’m tired and can still feel the pain but it’s an acceptable dulled level where I can lay still comfortably and so far no vomiting. This is a massive improvement for me. My Dr emphasised that I must take Ponstan as soon as I start bleeding for it to work and I did and so far so good.”