User Reviews for Mefenamic acid

6.6

Pain

Summary of Mefenamic acid reviews 6.1 42 reviews

Reviews for Mefenamic acid

For Period Pain: "I have PCOS causing severe period pain, vomiting and fever that can last days and causes me to miss work. Trying Ponstan for first time today, so far it’s working, I’m tired and can still feel the pain but it’s an acceptable dulled level where I can lay still comfortably and so far no vomiting. This is a massive improvement for me. My Dr emphasised that I must take Ponstan as soon as I start bleeding for it to work and I did and so far so good."

Rose (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2018

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Pain: "Does very little to help with pain. Aspirin works slightly better"

I will September 1, 2018

For Period Pain: "This pills were recomended to me yesterday at the pharmacy and I was reluctant to buy them but all I can say now is thank you. Thanks you... I am 40 and had still been crying when I had my periods as they are traumatic! And of all the pills that I have used in the past they have not been helping but today my crampings are NO MORE!!!, Mefenamic Acid is the best.."

Mavee (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2018

For Period Pain: "This medication is very risky to take. Just research the side effects. Even if you have never had high blood pressure. It can cause this to occur. The risk of stroke or heart attack is increased by taking mefenamic acid. I was recommended this medication by my GP for heavy periods. I took this medication as directed - with food, three times a day for two days and I can honestly say that it the worst thing for me. Not only did it not work, it elevated my blood pressure, and caused dizziness and terrible headaches. I am an ultra fit person, so feeling this way was highly unusual. Every ones physical makeup is different, so its important to listen to your body. However, I would certainly think twice before taking this medication. Ponstan was bad for my body and not worth the risk. I refuse to even rate it."

Ponstan is poison June 16, 2018

For Period Pain: "I can’t tell if this stuff works because every time I take it I throw it back up."

Alex (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 25, 2018

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "This did not work at all. Not only did it not touch my severe menstrual cramps, but I experienced side effects from the drug - muscle weakness in my legs. My obgyn and I tried everything. Now, I take meloxicam every 24 hrs for first 1-3 days of period and take 2.5mg - 5mg hydrocodone acetaminophen on day 2 and 3 for breakthrough pain. It works very well."

Kat80 November 1, 2017

For Period Pain: "takes the pain away in just a little bit of time and leaves me pain free all day"

courtney_2000 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2017

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Pain: "I'd say that Ponstel was god's gift to me for treating my migraines in long term.Very good!"

din0049 January 28, 2017

For Period Pain: "My pain usually starts 3-4 days before my period actually comes. Tylenol#3 is the only thing that still helps me function normally during this time of month. Dr gave me mefenamic to try this time. After taking this, my pain is not only in my lower back but also pain and intense cramping in uterus...this stuff doesnt help my issues at all, if anything made it worse!"

Jurban3 (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2017

For Period Pain: "I have been on mefenamic acid for my most recent period only, but it had done absolutely nothing for me. Would definitely recommend codeine instead."

JelloManiac (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2016

For Period Pain: "Like so many others I've had all the severe symptoms of endometriosis without actually having endometriosis. No form of contraception works & I've tried the lot. I'm now 36 and am going in next month for endometrial ablation. My Gyneacologist put me on Ponstan & another acid but it has not helped. Also I have horrible abdominal pain & bloating which keeps me up all night. I've had to stop taking it & need strong pain killers to cope. Forget going to work. Has anyone else had these problems? I'd love to know if these symptoms are more common than we know. Good luck girls!!!"

Mumma327 September 4, 2016

For Period Pain: "I've had debilitating period cramps ever since I got my first period(I was 12 then.) I'd break out in a cold sweat, start getting dizzy and shake uncontrollably. On top of that my legs would hurt like hell, and it would feel as if someone was punching my womb from the inside out. My mother (a doctor who never had such cramps herself) has been giving it to me ever since. I'm twenty four now, and always knock back a ponstan with a cup of regular tea when I start getting the familiar cramps. At best it kicks in within fifteen minutes, at worst it takes about an hour. Eating a toast or anything warm with the tea makes the pill work faster; taking it without eating anything first has given me stomach troubles and also somewhat reduces the effect"

Remyff July 14, 2016

For Period Pain: "I first had my period when I was 10 and never had a month went by where I don't get dysmenorrhea, a really painful I'm almost dying kind of pain. I've been taking it every time I get my period and had always been worked. I'm 23 now and it still works for me, I've never used anything else."

AsherCharli July 4, 2016

For Period Pain: "I take mefenamic acid for endometriosis. I have to say it has helped me greatly. I definitely notice if I don"t take it. It's an ant-inflammatory so I take it everyday. You need to build it up in your system it doesn't work as instant pain relief. So if you take it for your period you need to start taking it the week before. It is in the same family as ibuprofen so it can upset your stomach. Make you take it with food and if you are going to be on it for a long time. Take something to protect your stomach. I can't say it helped with the heaviness but the pain definitely."

Áine-Maire June 26, 2016

For Period Pain: "Mefanamic acid is a game changer. I use to vomit, have diarreah, light headed, dizzy, pass out and just be in horrific pain. Since I've started taking mefanamic acid I've been able to actually be able to do things during my period. However it doesn't take away all of my pain nausea it's however allowed me to get a week of my life back each month"

Jessassfuklllpob May 20, 2016

For Period Pain: "I was prescribed this a year ago, for endometriosis. It was for pain and heavy flow. For pain, I found them ineffective, and just as the comment below me says I found myself getting far more cramping. So it seems to make the pain worse for me. However, I still take this on really bad months. It has helped the heaviness. I was originally prescribed that when I had a period going for over 2 months and when I took it for less than a week my period stopped. So if I ever get periods that refuse to go away I resort back to this. It seems to have mixed reviews. I have aso tried Naproxen, this works better for pain but does nothing for the heaviness. But really helps with cramping."

Meepmeep (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2016

For Period Pain: "So my doctor prescribed this medicine for me yesterday, so far I've taken 5 pills since then (3 doses a day). She prescribed it to me to regulate my period and stop my blood flow as I've had 3 periods since Janurary 30th. Now, here I am, assuming that this would actually work as it was recommended by my gyno. Completely wrong. Ever since I've taken it I've had non-stop cramps and been very uncomfortable, my period is still yet to stop, and I still have all the typical emotions that come along with periods. I hardly ever even get cramps and when I do, they hardly hurt. So it's definitely the medicine causing these pains. Also, this medicine is basically just a higher form of ibuprofen. Wouldn't recommend to anyone with period problems"

HollyK99 (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2016

For Period Pain: "Hi everyone, I have used mefenamic acid for period pain twice so far and will probably not be using it again. I will still give it a decent review since it helped a lot with my period pain and lessened the bleeding, but after taking one 500mg tablet the first time (with dinner) I got a stabbing pain in my stomach and severe nausea, however it went away after about an hour. After about 10 hours I started to just take ibuprofene for the rest of the period. Next time my period was a bit early so I had to take M. Acid for the pain again, used it twice with about 10 hours in between, ended up with stomach pain, nausea and diarrhea the next few days (still have it and my period is done). Hope it won't last..."

SophiesWorld February 13, 2016

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "Does not work at all; on the top of all regular symptoms I got the significant side effects of a drug. Going back to Tylenol at least has no problem with side effects, works for pain a little."

Willow5 February 12, 2016

For Period Pain: "Reduced heavy bleeding and cramps from fibroids but my hair from my head, has started to fall out. Lots of hair is now on my floor, bed sheets and pillow. I am not taking any other type of drug except one instant Nescaf"

JCMHW February 6, 2016

Ponstel (mefenamic acid) for Period Pain: "I have been suffering from endometriosis since I was 12. Unbelievable pain, heavy bleeding, vomiting, the works. Most of the time, I could barely walk during my menstrual sycle. My old ob doc recommended this medicine when I was 18 and she gave me a sample. It relieved my cramping so much and helped with my other symptoms. The only downside to this medication is that it is very expensive and most insurance companies only approve the generic, which I cannot take."

Mittenstaylor October 19, 2015

For Period Pain: "I was prescribed mefenam acid for menstrual pain, took it as directed...and it did absolutely nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. I might as well have taken a sugar pill. I was actually shocked to see that so many people love it so much, because I had been under the impression it was complete garbage. Judging by the other reviews I've seen, it's worth a try. But be aware there is a chance it won't do anything."

TurtleJar May 2, 2015

For Period Pain: "I've took this for the first time today. I was prescribed it after very painful periods and advised to take when I have pain for as many days as I need (the first day being so bad I am crying in pain and having time off work) I started to get period cramps today took 1 dose and within an hour had no pain at all. I usually have vomiting and diarrhea with the first day but this has disappeared as well. It has also made my period so much lighter. Best medication I have had for period pain."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2015

For Not Listed / Other: "My neurologist prescribed me mefenamic acid to stop my migraines. We had also tried Topamax (made me crazy). The only medicine that works is Relpax."

Migraine queen (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2014

For Period Pain: "I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and during my periods can literally only lie on the floor screaming without these tablets. They're amazing. I do have to take codeine as well for maximum pain control but this is what takes 3/4 of the pain away."

Nick21sssss December 20, 2014