User Reviews for Victoza

Victoza Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Weight Loss.

Reviews for Victoza to treat Weight Loss

"I took this injection for the first time just before going out for lunch. After returning home, my stomach started churning. I became nauseated and started vomiting for the next 24 hours. I thought I had food poisoning. It took 48 hours to recover. I then took the Victoza again and had the same symptoms. I was unable to hold down food, water or my blood pressure medicine for 48 hours. I remained nauseated for a week after that. I called my doctor who said stop taking it. I threw it away."

Tig2 (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2018

"I started on Victoza a little over 3 weeks ago, at 5'5", 197 lbs. I am at the 1.8 dosage. I've lost ~5 pounds. I am active and am on Weight Watches but have been unable to lose weight for over 9 months until I started Victoza. I've had some side effects; elevated BP and a bit of a consistent headache (I'm trying to counteract this by eliminating caffeine, increasing water, reducing anti-inflammatory meds) and tiredness. However, the decrease in appetite is a welcome relief!"

CAI (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2018

"Was on it 4 months before it stopped working. I was on 1.2 for 2.5 months and then 1.8 for 6 weeks. I had insulin resistance but was not pre-diabetic when I started it. I lost 30lbs and was full on 1500 calories a day. Given my level of activity, I should have only lost about 18-20lbs. Magical stuff."

Cat (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2018

"Started trial of Victoza from Dr. He wanted to check side effects before prescibing Saxenda. Lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks. BUT, insurance denied coverage for Saxenda so back to Dr. Second request for authorization and gave me another trial of Victoza. Insurance denied Saxenda again. I registered for the Saxenda prescription savings card and today went to my pharmacy $1021!!!! Talking to pharmacist he recommended getting script for Victroza bc insurance likes the price. Approved and my co pay is $25! I do get nausea when I increase dose, it doesn't last. Dry mouth bad first few weeks but helped me be motivated drink water. Diarrhea, yes rotating with constipation. Food doesn't appeal to me. Often don't eat dinner or just a few bites. LOT of fatigue. Heartburn mild but I think its bc I forget to eat and my stomach is empty. BOTTOM LINE.... love this for weight loss. SIde effects aren't perm. I'm losing weight. BEST part? I figured out how to get insurance coverage!!!!"

Hopeless (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2018

"I started on Victoza 11 days ago. I'm 36 years old, 5'10, I weighed 210. I'm down to 200 right now. So 10lbs gone. I had tried other diets such as keto and weight watchers. They would work for a bit but with my schedule they were hard to stick to. I also have PCOS. This drug has taken all those cravings for sugar away. I eat now not out of joy but out of necessity. I am not restricted. That was always my biggest downfall with other weight loss programs. I started on .6 for one week. I'm on 1.2 now. Saturday I'll go up to 1.8. I haven't had many side effects. Just nausea if I haven't eaten before my shot and if I have a big bunch of sugary foods. Lack of appetite is considered a side effect, but that's why I'm taking it so I don't list it. I have Medicare and they would not cover Saxenda but didn't have issue with Victoza."

MRB (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2018

"I've used Victoza for 14 months at a max dosage of 1.8 mg. It has allowed me to loose 65 lbs and I continue to loose at a rate of about a pound every 10-12 days."

Maria (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 11, 2018

"I am 37 years old, 5'5". My starting weight on September 20, 2018 was 233.7lbs. I have had 3 femoral and tibial osteotomies over the last 3 years. This is has made exercise very difficult and extremely painful. Hence the recommendation of Victoza by my Physician and Surgeon. Since starting 8 days ago at 0.6mg I have lost 11.5 lbs bringing me to 222.2 lbs. I increased to 1.2mg yesterday. I feel very successful. Symptoms- They haven't been unmanageable but sometimes more noticeable than others. Dry mouth, weird feeling tongue, nausea, heartburn, and lack of appetite. But, I've found peppermint tea helps with all of the symptoms. I'm going to keep going to reach my goal of 80 lbs lost."

Kaykes (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2018

"I didn't know this drug had a weight loss aspect to it. I started on Victoza last November for diabetes. So far I have lost 48 lbs and my A1C recently was fantastic."

Roger (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2018

"Victoza worked great for the first month or so I lost 15 lbs. No side effects at all. What I did find however was that this medication stops working after a month or so after my initial loss of weight it became very difficult if not impossible to lose more weight."

Samsung (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2018

"I have been on Victoza approximately 6 weeks. It's covered by insurance because I was "close enough" to diabetic/pre-diabetic, so gave it a chance. I had done some research about using it for weight loss, and the recommendation was don't move to the higher strength until your weight-loss plateau's at a certain strength. It wasn't up to 1.8 until around 4.5 weeks, but I've lost 27 lbs do far. It is like Saxenda but Saxenda goes up to 3..0 mg because it is indicated for weight loss. I wish I could keep increasing my dose but insurance would cut me off if I went beyond 1.8. Well, so far so good. "

Macklincj1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

"I'm 51 years old 5 ft 2 in, on July 25th I weighed 237lb and the doctor put me on Victoza sample dose 0.6. I've lost almost 10 pounds in a month continuing on the 0.6 dose until the first week of September as per Dr request. Sticking to the 1200 calories per day and light walking. I've joined the gym yesterday so I'm going to try and to go at least 3 x week. On medication feel so much better. I didn't realize how much the calories and sugar affecting me before. My heart was racing all the time could not sleep. I started the medication. I notice a big difference in my health over the past month. I can sleep better now. I don't have the anxiousness and feeling like my heart was racing all the time. Even the brain fog I don't have anymore. I can't wait to tell the doctor in 2 weeks how much better I feel since I've been taking this medication. I hope insurance approves the saxenda soon."

Exray539 (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2018

"Today is my first day taking it I went for the 1.8ml took it in the morning before coming to work. It's now 7pm and I've been feeling nauseated, was kind of scared in the beginning but will go through it. Lets see how much I loose and will keep you all posted :)"

Jess (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2018

"I'm non diabetic but have hypothyroidism. My Dr. Suggested victoza for the weight loss which was gained due to thyroid. I started victoza 0.6mg on 25/7/18 then increased the dosage to 1.2mg from 31/7/18. Yes significant loss of appetite. My weight is not coming off yes but I can see some difference when I look into the mirror in terms of inch loss. I have been an athlete so exercise and weight training is something which I regularly do and also have an average diet plan with proteins. Was just waiting and wondering about when can I see a proper weight loss on the measuring scale. But I'm confident it will soon..."

NM (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2018

"I have been using victoza for one month so far. I've increased gradually to 1.8 now . I have not experience any side effects except some tiredness. Sugar level is controlled . No weight loss so far and I believe lack of exercise contributed to this. I am continuing hoping to lose some weight. Dr. Will decide after more two months - if no weight loss will revert to my previous tabs . Will wait and see"

Maggie August 5, 2018

"I started Victoza 07/17/2018 with 0.6 for about 4 days. After a couple of weeks, I gradually increased to 1.8. I barely eat due to the decrease in my appetite. The nausea isn't as bad as it was when I first started, but I still have a little. I lost 3 pounds within the first few days. I like the medication so far. No serious side effects besides nausea."

mspaula702 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2018

"I started Victoza, 0.6mg, only 3 days ago. I immediately felt nauseated, weak and had no appetite. I did not want to eat, I could scarcely make myself eat. On day 4, before, I had taken my 4th dose, I got severe lower abdominal pain, burning diarrhea. I felt very ill and sat on the toilet all day. I took prilosec, imodium, sip only of water and felt really horrible. I will speak with my doctor about this but I will not take this medication again."

Laurie (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2018

"Started on Victoza the beginning of June/18 - nausea was terrible for the first couple of weeks -have gradually moved up to 1.8 this week. Weight seemed to come off fairly quickly the first couple of weeks but now slowing down -total of about 15 lbs. I’ve noticed as well that my body shape is changing. Drug is expensive and not covered by my insurance but I’m going to try to continue. Would love to lose another 15."

Cheryls48 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2018

"Victoza. Started 0.6 for one week then upped to 1.2 for last 8 weeks . Combined with metformin and thyroid (ndt). I inject last thing at night. Lost nothing the first week, then 1lb a day for the first week on the higher dose, then about 1-2lb per week (minus a gap of 6 days when I was travelling and forgot to bring it and put on 4lb) since then. Lost about 14lbs in total. Never has this happened to me before, so I am very happy. Seems to have stalled a bit now, so may need to up the dose. Side effects: craving for orange juice, eating ice cream (neither of which I had before), heartburn (bad), sweating buckets (horrible. - dripping down the back of my neck), occasional diarrhoea (awful) alternating with constipation (bearable), sleepiness, very mild nausea. All getting better. I'm 65, female, exercise regularly, and eat well (5 years since I have eaten gluten)."

ali_r (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2018

"I started on Victoza June 12th @ .06 - 2 weeks today , no side effects but also no weight loss. My Dr said to call him in a month and see how I was tolerating it and then he would up my dose. I eat the same as I did before - no difference, I'll keep you posted"

adiannas- nana (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2018

"I started victoza a little under 3 weeks ago and I have lost around 12 pounds. I've been on the 1.2 dose for about a week and I have no negative side effects. I have PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome) so weigh tloss has always been a bit slower for me, but this seems so be helping. Before I started victoza I had to eat under 20 carbs a day and exercise a lot to get the scale to budge at all. Now I'm just limiting my calories to under 1200 a day and going for daily walks. My weight isn't melting off like some people experience on this drug, but it's definitely helping me."

Reviewer13 (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

"I used victoza for type 2 diabetes but I will not talk about that. Victoza helped me to lose 20+ kilograms in very short time( two months). First month the drug will make you hate food and hating eating a lot, but then I start losing weight magically because I learned to eat less with the help of victoza . Moreover, victoza lowered my blood sugar to normal (~100 in the morning) after the third use."

Afvb1909 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2018

"I started Victoza 1.8ml dose on 5/22. 5 days later I have lost 10 lbs. A little nausea and stomach ache but nothing I can't handle. I have absolutely no appetite and to desire for food. Love Victoza so far."

Momof5 (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2018

"Victoza did wonders for me; not only helped aided in weight loss but has me feeling super energized during the day. Overall I'm pleased with Victoza. Noticed slight nausea during my trial period but that's subsided after about 5 days of usage. My appetite has significantly reduced and made it easy for me to eat clean (mostly plant based meals and lots of H20..NO gluten or dairy). I've lost a total of 15 lbs in 3 weeks along with regular exercise and diet. Victoza is truly amazing:-)"

Fabulous_Scorpio01 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2018

"The plunger on the Victoza pen is not reliable. I have been using this medication for over a year and so far I have had to discard three pens because they are rejects. Not to mention the cost of replacement. I have taken the pens to the pharmacist and they can not get the pens to function either. As there are no representatives on the road it’s a dead end. I am going to ask my doctor for an alternative medication as this drug applicator is not reliable. Trust this feedback is a heads up for other users."

Lala April 8, 2018

"I started 3/26 and it is day 3 and I have had to force myself to eat. I am overly fatigued. But as a truck driver I really need to get my weight under control . I will keep you all posted! Good luck"

Truck driver (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2018