User Reviews for Victoza to treat Weight Loss

Victoza Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Weight Loss.

Reviews for Victoza

"Marie again. Well I'm on my 4th week of Victoza and so far I've lost over 10lbs. I take my shot every morning at 9am and the nausea is only at its worse the hour before my next shot. Taking a shower helps with this. I've been smoking cigarettes a lot less and eating way less than I used to too. Fatigue is often but manageable. No other side effects. I'll keep doing Victoza for another month to see what results I'll get."

Marie (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2019

"I have been using Victoza for 3 weeks. I followed protocol exactly to increase dosage to 1.9. I've lost 10 lbs, but the side effects are so severe it's not worth it. I have alternating constipation and diarrhea with painful cramping. I am nauseated all day with little appetite. Most food tastes terrible so I am eating very little. I also feel tired with little energy all the time. I've tried taking Victoza in the evening, but nothing seems to help. I'm pre diabetic but I think I may have to try something else."

MarMar (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2019

"I'm currently on day 3 of using Victoza for weight loss. First day went great; no side effects. Day 2 I had nausea and fatigue. Today, I feel great. My appetite has been practically non-existent the past 3 days and I love it. I force myself to eat dinner though. I'm drinking more water than usual and my smoking habit is decreasing drastically as well. I'll continue to post with my weight loss updates. I have high cholesterol but no other health issues. 3 days ago I was 196lbs, 5'5". I'm hoping to drop at least 20lbs. State medical covered my costs for pens and needle tips."

Marie (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2019

"I started Victoza for weight loss and appetite control. As everyone, I started 0.6, 1.2 and I wanted my max to be 1.8. I’ve lost 15 lbs in 3 weeks with the use of the pen and dieting. It does control my cravings and appetite but not to the point where I have zero appetite. First week I had some mild generalized body aches and felt tired but it didn’t intervene with my day to day life. Second week, a couple episodes of nausea - nothing drastic. Third week, a couple dull headaches and still slightly tired. At baseline I have constipation issues so difficult to say if this drug is contributing to that. I will say my nausea is worse when I exercise. I’ll feel fine before, then exercise and I’m nauseated the rest of the day - again it’s manageable. I take the injections each morning. All in all it’s working well for me although I’m always paranoid and on the lookout for further symptoms of more serious issues but this will not be a long term drug for me."

Amandalb (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2019

"Ok I have tried everything to lose weight!!! Victoza so far in one month has helped me lose 14 lbs!!! I’m even eating what I want but 75% less of it.... As far as the side affects go if you are nauseous start with less clicks and increase one click at a time. Also taking at bedtime helps with the fatigue."

Cyndi rose (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2019

"Started Victoza for weight loss July, 2017. Weight 240 at 5'8". Female, age 50. No diabetes but borderline A1C of 5.7 Obese and very physically active (long-distance bicycle tours and commutes) since just after college. Initial side-effects of nausea, fatigue, burping subsided after 2 weeks. After 6 months I had lost 40+ pounds so was under 200lbs for the first time since college. Often had to remind myself to eat. I found that simple carbs in the morning sabotaged the meds. Doctor put me on metformin for additional appetite control. After trying different doses and types what works for me is 1.8 Victoza in the morning and 500mg metformin ER with each meal. Lost another 10 lbs. For the past year my weight has fluctuated from 187-194. It's amazing to not be hungry and not be obese. I'm still 20lbs overweight but A1C down consistently to 5.4 and lipids much better (I also take a statin)."

Numoi January 28, 2019

"I have been on Victoza for 4 weeks and on 1.8 dosage the last week. No side effects and also no weight loss. I eat what I have always eaten which is very little and I walk 2 or more miles every other day. I need to lose 40 lbs and was hopefully this medication would help. I am not diabetic but do have hypothyroidism. Discouraged!"

Amber January 14, 2019

"I just started on Victoza on Jan. 2. Started at 0.6 for 5 days, then moved to 1.2. Side effects minimal. Experienced a headache 1 day, mild nausea first few days, a little more tired at night, which is when I take it. I'm down 8 pounds in 9 days. Am in my 50s, menopausal. I love, love, LOVE the CONTROL this medication gives me over food and my appetite. I have insulin resistance and mildly elevated blood sugar. Diabetes runs in my family. I guess my insurance (BCBS) figured "close enough" because they're paying for it!! Am so excited and LOVE this drug. It is so much more effective than amphetamine-like drugs for weight loss. I will check back in in a few and give you and update. As someone said, "Victoza is not for whimps." But if you can man it up, it's totally worth the side effects. Good luck, all."

BookLover (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2019

"I took this injection for the first time just before going out for lunch. After returning home, my stomach started churning. I became nauseated and started vomiting for the next 24 hours. I thought I had food poisoning. It took 48 hours to recover. I then took the Victoza again and had the same symptoms. I was unable to hold down food, water or my blood pressure medicine for 48 hours. I remained nauseated for a week after that. I called my doctor who said stop taking it. I threw it away."

Tig2 (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2018

"I started on Victoza a little over 3 weeks ago, at 5'5", 197 lbs. I am at the 1.8 dosage. I've lost ~5 pounds. I am active and am on Weight Watches but have been unable to lose weight for over 9 months until I started Victoza. I've had some side effects; elevated BP and a bit of a consistent headache (I'm trying to counteract this by eliminating caffeine, increasing water, reducing anti-inflammatory meds) and tiredness. However, the decrease in appetite is a welcome relief!"

CAI (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2018

"Was on it 4 months before it stopped working. I was on 1.2 for 2.5 months and then 1.8 for 6 weeks. I had insulin resistance but was not pre-diabetic when I started it. I lost 30lbs and was full on 1500 calories a day. Given my level of activity, I should have only lost about 18-20lbs. Magical stuff."

Cat (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2018

"Started trial of Victoza from Dr. He wanted to check side effects before prescibing Saxenda. Lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks. BUT, insurance denied coverage for Saxenda so back to Dr. Second request for authorization and gave me another trial of Victoza. Insurance denied Saxenda again. I registered for the Saxenda prescription savings card and today went to my pharmacy $1021!!!! Talking to pharmacist he recommended getting script for Victroza bc insurance likes the price. Approved and my co pay is $25! I do get nausea when I increase dose, it doesn't last. Dry mouth bad first few weeks but helped me be motivated drink water. Diarrhea, yes rotating with constipation. Food doesn't appeal to me. Often don't eat dinner or just a few bites. LOT of fatigue. Heartburn mild but I think its bc I forget to eat and my stomach is empty. BOTTOM LINE.... love this for weight loss. SIde effects aren't perm. I'm losing weight. BEST part? I figured out how to get insurance coverage!!!!"

Hopeless (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2018

"I started on Victoza 11 days ago. I'm 36 years old, 5'10, I weighed 210. I'm down to 200 right now. So 10lbs gone. I had tried other diets such as keto and weight watchers. They would work for a bit but with my schedule they were hard to stick to. I also have PCOS. This drug has taken all those cravings for sugar away. I eat now not out of joy but out of necessity. I am not restricted. That was always my biggest downfall with other weight loss programs. I started on .6 for one week. I'm on 1.2 now. Saturday I'll go up to 1.8. I haven't had many side effects. Just nausea if I haven't eaten before my shot and if I have a big bunch of sugary foods. Lack of appetite is considered a side effect, but that's why I'm taking it so I don't list it. I have Medicare and they would not cover Saxenda but didn't have issue with Victoza."

MRB (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2018

"I've used Victoza for 14 months at a max dosage of 1.8 mg. It has allowed me to loose 65 lbs and I continue to loose at a rate of about a pound every 10-12 days."

Maria (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 11, 2018

"I am 37 years old, 5'5". My starting weight on September 20, 2018 was 233.7lbs. I have had 3 femoral and tibial osteotomies over the last 3 years. This is has made exercise very difficult and extremely painful. Hence the recommendation of Victoza by my Physician and Surgeon. Since starting 8 days ago at 0.6mg I have lost 11.5 lbs bringing me to 222.2 lbs. I increased to 1.2mg yesterday. I feel very successful. Symptoms- They haven't been unmanageable but sometimes more noticeable than others. Dry mouth, weird feeling tongue, nausea, heartburn, and lack of appetite. But, I've found peppermint tea helps with all of the symptoms. I'm going to keep going to reach my goal of 80 lbs lost."

Kaykes (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2018

"I didn't know this drug had a weight loss aspect to it. I started on Victoza last November for diabetes. So far I have lost 48 lbs and my A1C recently was fantastic."

Roger (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2018

"Victoza worked great for the first month or so I lost 15 lbs. No side effects at all. What I did find however was that this medication stops working after a month or so after my initial loss of weight it became very difficult if not impossible to lose more weight."

Samsung (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2018

"I have been on Victoza approximately 6 weeks. It's covered by insurance because I was "close enough" to diabetic/pre-diabetic, so gave it a chance. I had done some research about using it for weight loss, and the recommendation was don't move to the higher strength until your weight-loss plateau's at a certain strength. It wasn't up to 1.8 until around 4.5 weeks, but I've lost 27 lbs do far. It is like Saxenda but Saxenda goes up to 3..0 mg because it is indicated for weight loss. I wish I could keep increasing my dose but insurance would cut me off if I went beyond 1.8. Well, so far so good. "

Macklincj1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

"I'm 51 years old 5 ft 2 in, on July 25th I weighed 237lb and the doctor put me on Victoza sample dose 0.6. I've lost almost 10 pounds in a month continuing on the 0.6 dose until the first week of September as per Dr request. Sticking to the 1200 calories per day and light walking. I've joined the gym yesterday so I'm going to try and to go at least 3 x week. On medication feel so much better. I didn't realize how much the calories and sugar affecting me before. My heart was racing all the time could not sleep. I started the medication. I notice a big difference in my health over the past month. I can sleep better now. I don't have the anxiousness and feeling like my heart was racing all the time. Even the brain fog I don't have anymore. I can't wait to tell the doctor in 2 weeks how much better I feel since I've been taking this medication. I hope insurance approves the saxenda soon."

Exray539 (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2018

"Today is my first day taking it I went for the 1.8ml took it in the morning before coming to work. It's now 7pm and I've been feeling nauseated, was kind of scared in the beginning but will go through it. Lets see how much I loose and will keep you all posted :)"

Jess (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2018

"I'm non diabetic but have hypothyroidism. My Dr. Suggested victoza for the weight loss which was gained due to thyroid. I started victoza 0.6mg on 25/7/18 then increased the dosage to 1.2mg from 31/7/18. Yes significant loss of appetite. My weight is not coming off yes but I can see some difference when I look into the mirror in terms of inch loss. I have been an athlete so exercise and weight training is something which I regularly do and also have an average diet plan with proteins. Was just waiting and wondering about when can I see a proper weight loss on the measuring scale. But I'm confident it will soon..."

NM (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2018

"I have been using victoza for one month so far. I've increased gradually to 1.8 now . I have not experience any side effects except some tiredness. Sugar level is controlled . No weight loss so far and I believe lack of exercise contributed to this. I am continuing hoping to lose some weight. Dr. Will decide after more two months - if no weight loss will revert to my previous tabs . Will wait and see"

Maggie August 5, 2018

"I started Victoza 07/17/2018 with 0.6 for about 4 days. After a couple of weeks, I gradually increased to 1.8. I barely eat due to the decrease in my appetite. The nausea isn't as bad as it was when I first started, but I still have a little. I lost 3 pounds within the first few days. I like the medication so far. No serious side effects besides nausea."

mspaula702 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2018

"I started Victoza, 0.6mg, only 3 days ago. I immediately felt nauseated, weak and had no appetite. I did not want to eat, I could scarcely make myself eat. On day 4, before, I had taken my 4th dose, I got severe lower abdominal pain, burning diarrhea. I felt very ill and sat on the toilet all day. I took prilosec, imodium, sip only of water and felt really horrible. I will speak with my doctor about this but I will not take this medication again."

Laurie (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2018

"Started on Victoza the beginning of June/18 - nausea was terrible for the first couple of weeks -have gradually moved up to 1.8 this week. Weight seemed to come off fairly quickly the first couple of weeks but now slowing down -total of about 15 lbs. I’ve noticed as well that my body shape is changing. Drug is expensive and not covered by my insurance but I’m going to try to continue. Would love to lose another 15."

Cheryls48 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2018