User Reviews for Levonorgestrel to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Also known as: Mirena, Plan B One-Step, Kyleena, Liletta, Skyla, PostDay One-Step, My Way, Take Action, Morning After, New Day, Aftera, AfterPill, Option 2, AfterPlan, BionaFem, Athentia Next, EContra One-Step, My Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Preventeza, React EContra EZ Fallback Solo Opcicon One-Step …show all brand names

Levonorgestrel has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 568 ratings for the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding. 33% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 45% reported a negative effect.

Levonorgestrel Rating Summary

4.9/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

WatersWife98 · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2021

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “1 had Mirena inserted June 3rd, 2021 and have literally bled every day since. It’s starting to get old. I had it inserted and my OB never even checked to make sure it was in the right place. They just said to avoid unprotected sex for the first month, then they’d check it to see if it was in the right places my 2 month checkup. I have no idea if it ACTUALLY works or if it’s even inserted correctly, all I know is that I haven’t gotten a break from bleeding for almost a month.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2021

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I know I have not had Mirena in long. First day was Dec 15th. This is horrible. I always had the worst cramps along with heavy heavy bleeding. Every month it felt like contractions. Since having the IUD put in I have bleed everyday. Yes some lighter than others. Most days had to wear a regular pad. Cramps are just as bad if not worse. I can't wait 3 months or longer to see if this will work. I'm miserable, my husband is miserable. I think I would prefer the 7 days of heavy bleeding than this. At least I knew it was gonna stop. This everyday bleeding has to go. I can't deal with it.”

Miserable · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2021

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I had my first Mirena removed in July of 2020 and never had any problems with it. Then I had a new one put in January 29th, 2021. This is March 13th and I've been on my period since getting the new one. Somedays it's normal bleeding, other days it's spotting but the menstrual fluid is dark, almost brown, and thick to the point of almost being sticky. It's ruining my sex life and relationship. My boyfriend thinks I'm pretending to be on my period because I don't want to have sex. I mean, it makes sense. Who has their period for over a month straight? Me. And I'm over it. I feel like I should rate it's effectiveness at a 10 because I definitely won't be having sex with the thing in.”

Lotus · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 24, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “Mirena was inserted a month back, I got it cause apparently it stops bleeding and thus helps with endometriosis Symptoms, but it’s proving other wise as I’m experiencing completely opposite and I have been bleeding continuously from past one month with out a break . I never imagined I would be on period for a whole month and it still haven’t stopped”

Nikki · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 26, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “So, this is my second round with the Mirena IUD. June 2020 will be 5 years (this is my second one) Recently I got spotting Sat, Sun, Mon then stopped Tuesday and back Wednesday? I do not remember this happening my last Mirena, and a bit thrown off as to how it’s spotting then stop then back? Anyone else have this happen?”

Busy Mum September 3, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I was recently diagnosed with adeymeosis due to heavy, painful, irregular periods and cysts. My consultant gave me the option to have a Mirena coil which he said will help my lining of my womb, stop heavy bleeding into my uterus and having it inserted would feel similar to a smear test. So I booked my appointment based on his recommendation. As the alternative was a hysterectomy. I got it fitted July 2020 which was the most horrendous pain I've ever experience felt like a stabbing contraction and I was in tears pain and I had a little spotting few days later with some severe cramps. The cramps stopped and then a two weeks later I started to get brown jelly like spotting which wasn't very nice and also I don't feel very clean because of it I spotted for two weeks, then came the heavy period which hasn't stopped and it's constant. I don't like the way it's made me feel and I've only had it in for five weeks it's worse than I had before.”

Sarah January 30, 2021

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I'm 47 and got the Mirena because I have very heavy bleeding during my periods. After insertion I bled 44 days. Then none for 11 days, then my on my next period I started bleeding again for (as of writing this) 27 days. Overall I have been bleeding for 71 days out of the 82 (almost 3 months) that I have had the Mirena. While I appreciate the medium/lighter bleeding, the non-stop has been miserable. It has also been very brown and jelly like (like the end or start of a normal period). I tried to wait it out, but it just isn't stopping, so I have an appointment in 2 days to have it removed. On a side note, I had bloating and cramping/pinching feeling for the first 3 weeks. I almost had it taken out after the first month, but my doctor said to give it 3 months. The bloating and pinching did subside. I did feel fine emotionally, no depression, and didn't have any weight gain or skin problems with Mirena. Just removing it because of the non-stop bleeding.”

S · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 7, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “At 47, after 2+ years of embarrassing and isolating hemorrhaging blood loss I got a Mirena. Life has greatly changed- while still anemic I’ve had no more iron infusions or blood transfusions. I am willing to take overnight trips. I occasionally experience spotting so still wear pads but nothing like the clots of 3 years ago. It has proved an absolute positive for me!!”

Rose · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 6, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I had Mirena inserted Feb 2020 to reduce heavy menstrual bleeding due to fibroids. For first 2 mths I was bleeding non stop. 8 mths later I still have heavy bleeding. Don't think it is working for me, but my Dr said to give it a year.”

Umhoneybear June 21, 2021

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I have had mirena for one month and a week… genuinely I thought I would be happy with Mirena but I am not. Every single day is bright red bleeding. I have simply given up and bought in bulk period products from costco maxi pads and tampons. I’ve never spent this much money on period products. I know exactly what my OB is going to say “give it the whole 3 months” just like what she said about the copper IUD… so I am going to get my hemoglobin checked and wait this stupidity out a month or two more. I guess Mirena is doing her duty 100% because I am not having sex with my husband thus cannot get pregnant which is the whole point! No acne, no cramps, no sex. No cramps is nice I guess but I just get surprise bleeding yay. I’ve bled on 3/4ths of my panties and leaked on my bed like 5x just because that’s how heavy the blood is.”

Romy · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2021

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I’m peri menopausal 49 year old and have had very heavy bleeding for the past few years which got progressively worse until last year when I had an ablation and Mirena inserted December 2020. We’re now in May 2021. I bleed 20+ days with a break of maybe 8/9 days. Starts with spotting for a few days followed by a period then more spotting. My sex life with my partner is non existent. I get PMS symptoms, sore breasts, bloating, constipation. I don’t bleed as heavily as I used to but it’s just so prolonged I’m sick of it. I’m calling my GP this week to arrange removal.”

Dentine · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I had the Mirena IUD inserted on Feb 4th. It took 5 mins to insert and they used an ultrasound machine to ensure it was done correctly. I have an extremely high pain tolerance, but must the insertion was probably the worst 5 mins of my entire life. The pain was ridiculous! After that, I had mild cramping for 24 hrs and light brown bleeding for 3 days. On the 4th day out of no where , I felt sick to my stomach and had horrible cramping pains. Lasted for 30 minutes, I was almost in tears, but subsided with 800 mg of Advil and a hot water bottle. My period was suppose to start Feb 14th, but I had brown spotting 3 days prior and am still menstruating!! Its been 11 days straight; its light but enough to need a panty liner or tampon. I'm exhausted, cranky and frustrated. My next dr appt is Mar 7th to check that the IUD is still in the same position. I'm thinking if I bleed all of March, I'm getting this thing taken out. I had no idea I'd bleed for this many days in a row.”

Notlikingthisiud · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 12, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I've had mine for 1 year and constantly have spotting or bleeding. My husband jokes that's why it's such a good form of birth control because I'm always bleeding on it. Theres only like a week straight that I don't have any spotting or blood. Not very happy. I thought after a year it would've gotten better.”

Endo345 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 26, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I started Mirena in 2016 for Endometriosis causing ovarian cysts. As far as birth control, I use it as a secondary method, but it's been effective. I've had no periods and maybe 10 episodes of light spotting in almost 5 years, none of which lasted more than one day. I've had a few noticeable cysts in that time (some abdominal tenderness), but nothing like the pain I would have prior to insertion. For treating my endometriosis, it works as it is meant to do. The bad: within 2 months of insertion, I gained over 20 lbs. I've steadily gained weight around my abdomen since. Not all has been related to Mirena, but I have gained about 50 lbs in 4 1/2 years and I know that Mirena is a huge factor. My cystic acne had also gotten worse, but I'm not sure if it's related. I'm due to get Mirena taken out in a few months and am looking into alternative treatments as I don't want to continue to gain weight.”

Freebird1877 February 8, 2021

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I got the Mirena inserted on Nov 23rd 2020. I have already had a tubal ligation, so I didn't need birth control. This was supposed to help reduce severe menstrual cramps and heavy bleeding. One week after insertion, I developed edema in my legs. I thought this was normal and would go away once my body adjusted to the Mirena. It is now Feb 8th, 2021 and my whole lymph system is swollen. I've gained 11lbs in fluids. I'm exhausted and out of breath all the time. Before, I was in decent shape and worked out 5-6 days a week. I've bled every single day since it was inserted. The stomach cramps are terrible. Just a general feeling of malaise. Diagnosis is lymphadenopathy but the cause isn't determined yet, as they haven't been able to schedule my tests, due to COVID I guess. I had no issues until a week after it was put in. Now I'm falling apart and want it out ASAP. Terrible, I wish I had never gotten it.”

Windsor · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 23, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I had Mirena inserted in January 2019. It is now February 2020. The think brown spotting is constant every day. I’ve ruined every pair underwear I own. I’m not sure how much weight I’ve gained...maybe 10-15 pounds. I’m constantly bloated. My skin looks ok but not as good as before...not broken out...just different. The only benefit from the this thing has been birth control. I tried to give it a chance but have come to the decision to get it yanked. I’m 40 and will be considering a tubal ligation. I can't win with hormonal birth control!”

Tavila · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I had the Mirena put in Aug 13, 2019... spotted every day for about a month, finally had a period but very lightly. Ruined my sex life, constantly bleeding and smell of old blood. Days I wasn’t spotting when having sex, made me realize that old blood was sitting in my cervix which cause me to smell during sex. Finally got it removed yesterday and just want my body to get back to the way that it was... I would rather deal with my period then to not know when I’m gonna bleed or having continuous spotting and horrible sex life. One day after removal I’m bleeding like a normal period so hopefully that will clear everything up. I would never put in another Mirena.”

M. · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 20, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “Mirena gave me my life back. It’s not perfect but I gave it time and it has been good for me. I tried controlling my endometriosis with oral contraceptives with nasty side effects and little success. I was really scared to try the mirena IUD because it’s invasive and I was so tired of side effects but I had few options left. I spotted a lot for 3 months with some cramping but now at the 6 month mark I have very little bleeding and hence very little pain. This is a huge improvement. In terms of side effects, my skin isn’t great but it’s a trade off I’m willing to make. Without this IUD I would have no quality of life.”

Anonymous April 2, 2021

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I had Mirena in January 2021 for heavy bleeding . I’m still bleeding. Most of the first 50 days of bleeding was light. Then I had about a week of no bleeding and thought ohh maybe this thing is going to work . Nope I am bleeding again but heavier and clots . Bad headaches from it too I think. I scheduled to have an ablation. Has anyone else tried that? I feel like I’m going to end up having a hysterectomy . I’m definitely not liking mirena .”

Still spotting · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 23, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “Glad to know I’m not the only one still experiencing spotting. I’ve had like low to heavy spotting for over 8 months now. My ex said area of me stunk but we were fighting bad and breaking up. I have a very poor sense of smell but don’t notice an odor but his comment made me extremely self conscious. I’ve never had anyone else say I had an odor. I’m going to call my gyno immediately on Monday. After reading comments I realized side effects are pretty bad. Got weekly acne like I used to get just once a month with my cycle which used to be like clockwork. Now I bleed heavy one day, brown spotting another day, then no bleeding... no rhyme or reason to it.”

Joann · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 9, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I had the Mirena inserted in July 2018. I had it inserted to help with heavy periods and cramping. Since having this Mirena inserted, I have not stopped spotting/bleeding the entire time. I may stop for a few days here and there but literally have been spotting or bleeding every day since July of 2018. I am now scheduling to have this taken out. It has been expensive with all the pads and tampons I have paid for the last 18 months. It’s not worth it.”

Terri · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I’m looking for reviews to see if I made a bad decision. I’m 46 and I had the device inserted on December 4, 2019 to help reduce my heavy periods. Well today is February 17, 2020 and I’m still bleeding! Every day!! I’m so tired of using Kotex and tampons I don’t know what to do. Plus I have acne and some emotional instability. I had a visit with my doctor on February 7 and she said to give it another month. Well we’ll see. I’m leaning towards having it removed in a month yet I’m so eager to have no more periods!”

Seychelles · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2021

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “In Oct 2020, I had lost so much blood during my period that I had to have a blood transfusion (3.5 bags). Afterwards, my gyn-ob gave my birth control pills w/ estrogen to regulate my heavy periods. It made my blood pressure go thru the roof. I also had swelling to my legs, feet & ankles. So March 2021, I decided to have the Mirena IUD insert. I was still bleeding heavily when my gyn-ob inserted the it. It was a bloody mess. Mind you, my vagina area was sore from all the bulky tampons that I experienced such a stinging sensation. Now fast-forward to July 2021, I'm still experiencing heavy bleeding at times. I'm constantly having to wear panty liners. I get headaches and strange body aches monthly. I've gain weight to the back of my neck and belly. I once had clear skin but not anymore. I've been hiding behind a mask the entire time. My mood comes and goes. I'm contemplating removing the IUD. I was miserable before the IUD and now I'm miserable with it. This dilemma has ruined my livelihood.”

Little mini · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 15, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I've had my IUD in for 12 months now and since it was placed it's been nothing but a night mare. The bleeding has become daily and hasn't stopped in 2 months, don't know if I should go have it removed or keep trying to wait it out and see if it stops”

Sydneytiger May 28, 2020

Mirena (levonorgestrel): “I got the coil to help with heavy bleeding. It went horribly from the start. I’d read it could be painful to get put in and varied from person to person and an ibruprofen was recommended before hand which I took, however the pain which was described as a pinch felt more like I’d been stabbed. The most nauseating cramps I’d ever gotten enveloped me - worst pain I’ve ever felt (only 19 by the way). I was in bed for the rest of the day because the cramps were so severe and constant. They continued for two weeks after. Immediately after inserting it I began to bleed lightly - this continued on for a year non stop aside from two days here and there. After three months I had a check up and they assured me it was normal and would stop. I went travelling hoping for the best and willing to give it a year, but last week marked a year and the bleeding was still continuous. So I finally got it removed. That actually felt like a pinch and was much better than insertion.”

Learn more about Abnormal Uterine Bleeding