User Reviews for Levomilnacipran to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Also known as: Fetzima

Levomilnacipran has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 99 ratings for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder. 39% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Levomilnacipran Rating Summary

5.4/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Levomilnacipran

Katt11max · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2014

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “Dealing with depression and anxiety. Tapered off Elavil for three weeks before starting Fetzima.I'm on day 8 with Fetzima. Two days @ 20mg and then up to 40mg per day. Started Fetzima... The first two days felt great...happy and relaxed. The next few I was GRUMPY, Mad at the world. Not irrational, just mad. Bad mood. Now on day eight I'm feeling good. No obsessive thoughts about bad things, thinking super clearly which was a huge issue for me. Don't need as much sleep and seem to have more energy, though not manic. I think I've lost a little weight which is good for me. I was concerned about my blood pressure which was a little high pre Fetzima but no issues. No other side effects.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2020

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “Diagnosed with MDD, GAD and complex PTSD. This Fetzima medication has literally been a miracle drug for me. Been on different SSRIs and never felt well. I have never felt cognitively sharper, able to function throughout the day, and without feeling sedated. No more negative thoughts and self loathing, low energy, agitation and irritability, inability to leave the house and be productive and crushes my GAD as well. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to live a life I have never known. If you can push through a few weeks of nausea, dizziness and not feeling great you will get to a good place. Give it time to work.”

Panicbutton · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2020

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I have GAD, Anxiety, Panic Attacks I was having sexual side effects on Cymbalta so my Psychiatrist switched me to Fetzima. He said he wasn't certain it would help with my anxiety, as it is more for depression. However, all of the SNRI that I have tried (Pristiq, Cymbalta, & Fetzima) have done WONDERS for my anxiety. I don't have sexual side effects on Fetzima and I'm thrilled to have found something that works so well for my anxiety. I can actually tell myself "Let's just wait and see what happens, no need to worry about that right now and IT WORKS". I didn't think that would ever be possible.”

CathyNoLife · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2016

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “Have had MDD for almost 10 years. Lost my job, income, and basically trudging through life. Have taken Lamictal 300mg for years, and Dr. has tried combining with almost every antidepressant out there. Abilify worked great for about a month, my house was clean, lawn decent, and things sorted and organized. Then back to the usual. House a mess, repairs not done, bills not paid. Just wanted to sleep my life away. Started Fetzima at 20mg for 2 days, then have been on 40mg for almost 2 weeks. Feeling energetic and ready to be productive again! Only side effect so far is frequent urination. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!”

Anonymous August 27, 2020

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I have C-PTSD and MDD. I was put on Effexor XR and I hated it. I slept 20 hours a day, had no energy for anything, had constant nausea so a new doctor prescribed Fetzima 30mg. I have no side effects at all! Last week I was sitting on my balcony and I felt happy. I almost cried, I had not felt this kind of simple bliss in more than 10 years. No other antidepressants ever worked for me and I tried many. Speaking of sleep, my sleep has improved so much on Fetzima. No nightmares like on Effexor XR, I feel rested after 8 hours and I actually want to get out of bed when I wake up. I do noticed that I speak a lot and faster on Fetzima, but it's not as bad for me as other people reported. And I have so so much more energy. I know other people had very bad experience but in my opinion it's really worth trying, you might be one of those people who'll be lucky enough to finally have a chance to really get better just like me!”

for my husband · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2016

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I am writing this in memory of my husband. My husband was on anti depression meds for many years. His doctor prescribed fetzima. I wish he never had taken it. I found him after he committed suicide.This was in April 2014. Please be so very careful if you do take this medicine. I miss him everyday.......”

Was so Tired of it all February 3, 2015

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I came to this website looking to see if anyone else had the impacts that I did. I've been on 10 or so meds prior to this over 20 years now. I hope this isn't inappropriate, but medically speaking I think this might be important to others. After taking this only 6 days now my depression levels have stayed the same, but I can't help but notice my sex drive is back and it's almost unbelievable to me. I lost a marriage over depression and the lack of sex drive because of meds. As well, lack of sex drive in itself made me really depressed. The agony of wanting sex to feel good was unimaginable. But depression in control was more important. And I only switched to this med because of cost. Best thing that has happened to me in forev”

Jennifer · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 23, 2021

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I suffer from BPD, MDD, bipolar, anxiety disorder. I have been on every antidepressant known to man. Fetzima was a game changer. It is the only one that works for me. Zero side effects. I am on 120 mg. Combined with Lamictal, my depression is under control, and I finally have a grip on life. So thankful for Fetzima.”

Greatfultobalive · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 9, 2017

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I had a rough childhood to sum things up quickly. I was divorced and put myself through nursing school, remarried, bought a house and was very independent until I hit 30 y/o. I started to slowly decompensate mentally. My issues are Bipolar, Boarderline Personality Disorder, Anxiety, Grief-complicated, ADD, Diabetic and obesity. I tried counselling and all kinds of medications for 10 years. My husband is very supportive. Then my 20 y/o son committed suicide in the navy. It didn't hit me until about 9 or 10 months and I became extremely manic and the grief took over. I dissociated and overdosed on my Klonopin and started outpatient treatment. Thats when I started the Fetzima. It saved my life! It took about a one and a half years to work through the grief but I could NOT have done it without the Fetzima. It helped with anxiety and my deperession.”

Smusic713 April 21, 2016

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “My Cymalta pooped out on me and I was having suicidal ideatons. My doc wanted to put me in the hospital and I refused. She suggested I try Fetizma. It's only been three weeks but so far I feel amazing. It's like night and day. Less depression, more motivated and hopeful. I haven't had any negative side effects. I am so glad this medication is available. It literally kept me out of the mental hospital and possibly saved my job since I didn't want to get out of bed and called in sick often. I hope it works as well for others who try it.”

namelessinoregon · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2016

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I did not have any negative side effects from Fetzima, and it is the first things that has worked for me. Do not drink alcohol when taking this at all; I did and it made me feel extremely depressed. I actually feel like a person now, and I have so much more energy.”

XIM · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2016

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I have MDD (12yrs), chronic pain (17yrs), anxiety & social/agoraphobias. For the last 3 years, I barely left the house & rarely left my bed. Things grew extremely dark this past year...I cared for nothing except my dog without whom I wouldn't be here now. The psychiatrists & antidepressants I tried for years either failed miserably or made things worse. I managed to see a new psychiatrist who put me on a combo of Fetzima & Rexulti. This combo made a HUGE difference for me. It feels like someone turned on the lights & I can finally see some kind of future. It's still hard, but not impossible. Don't let the bad reviews scare you off! If you've been struggling, try it. It might help you. Just be watchful of the possible side effects.”

Meep June 28, 2020

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I have MDD, GAD, residual PTSD symptoms & nerve damage that causes pain and loads of other issues. I started this in Feb-March 2019 after 2 other failed antidepressants, adverse reactions. I've had 2 med increases over the last year and currently just started the 2nd to get me up to max dosage (similar drugs have been used to treat chronic pain, so that's the theory my doc is going off of). It has been a life saver in conjunction with Buspar for my anxiety. It got rid of most of the urges that came with sucidual idealization and self harm urges during the hardest time of my life(becoming disabled because of the nerve damage). It has helped with my energy levels (mdd+chronic pain=extreme fatigue) and has helped make therapy more effective for me. The side effects I've experienced is the increase in sweating, lower salt in my body, which makes it harder to stay hydrated and nausea when starting it & at med increases but it goes away within about a week.”

Chelsea · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 8, 2018

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “My medical history includes migraines, MDD, and insomnia. The medications that I have taken over the last 3 years to treat MDD include Wellbutrin, Effexor, Lamictal, Zoloft, Trazodone, Prozac, Lithium, and Remeron. The medications that I have taken over the past 3 years for insomnia include Ambien, Ambien CR, hydroxyzine pamoate, Remeron, and temazepam. Currently, I am on propranolol (for migraine prevention), rizatriptan (for migraine abortion), lamotrigine, Adderall XR, and Fetzima. By far, Fetzima has been the most successful medication in relieving my depression symptoms and has given me the fewest side effects. I have been taking it for approximately 6 months and have not relapsed as I usually do after 2-3 months on the various other antidepressants I've taken.”

Jade · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 3, 2020

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I have been on Fetzima for at least 4 years. It worked extremely well for me. No side effects after the initial 8 week period. The last year I have been passing out when I stand to long, random racing pulse, unstable blood pressure. My PCP refered me to a cardiologist who diagnosed possible POTS. After going over my med list he said it's probably the Fetzima as it's listed as a side effect. Geesh, who would have thought! So now no Fetzima and I feel crappy but I don't pass out. There is nothing anywhere on long term side effects so beware.”

smilingagain September 25, 2015

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I am on day 12 of Fetzima 40 mg and feeling awesome! I've dealt with depression for over 15 years and I've never had a medicine work so quickly. I am also on Abilify 5mg a day. I've been on just about every med out there except MAO's.My advice to you is to keep on until you find the right med for you. There is light at the end of the tunnel!!! My side effects are bad headaches but I will gladly deal with that to finally feel like a normal human being again.”

Doodilydoo · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2020

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “Some good results from Fetzima but it made me incredibly aggressive and reckless. And I was talking and talking and talking all the time. Trying to pick fights with strangers. So, yeah, had to quit it.”

Depression30years · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2016

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I have an extreme case of depression that very few experience, and I have had extreme depression for over 25 years with pain I cannot begin to describe. In the past, Nefazodone and Cymbalta rescued me and each worked for a decade or more, but they eventually pooped out. None of the SSRIs and other drugs worked for me. I switched from Cymbalta to this drug and within days this drug started working. If you are one of the 10% of depressed people where only norepinephrine antidepressants work for your depressed (SNRIs, Tricyclics) then this is a good drug to try. It is too early to tell if this drug will work long term for me. The side effects of this drug went away within a week for me.”

Mrs. WP May 25, 2017

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I was 120mg. Was great for my mood, but I had several side effects including: increase blood pressure, tachycardia, urinary hesitation, constipation, bloating, stomach pain, dry mouth, nausea, and UTI. My Dr. told me to choose whether I wanted to feel good mentally or physically. Looking for new Dr. I think I deserve both. one without the other is simply existing,and I want to live life happy and healthy.”

In The Deep Quiet Night April 4, 2019

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I have been on meds throughout the years since I was around 18. I finally gave in and tried meds. Needless to say, it hasn't been successful. I've never had a positive experience. They work for some time and then quit, or don't work at all. My latest med provider had me take the genetic test to see what medications would metabolize correctly. Fetzima was listed as one of them. Needless to say, it has worked wonders. While I still have depression, and one anti-depressant isn't enough, this one hasn't given me a lot of side effects that others have. I am on another one as a mood booster. Because of the known irritation side effect, my provider had me take the initial dosing for roughly a week before titrating up to 40 mg. I am now on 80 mg and doing well. I am glad I asked for this medication. I have gotten energy back and not always wanting to be sleeping, not motivated or other issues I faced when I'm not on a medication that works.”

Capt. July 29, 2015

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I have had MDD for a while along with anxiety. I have tried so many medications, and am medication resistant. Prior to taking Fetzima, I was on Topamax which helped me quite a bit when I was not in a good place. However, it was not helping anymore, so my doc thought maybe going to an SNRI may help. I had mostly been on SSRI's before. The Fetzima really helped me with motivation and getting engaged in my day. I am taking 80 mg right now. I had tried the 120mg, but went back down since I couldn't tell a difference between the two. I have been on Fetzima now for about 4-5 months. I really don't have any side effects. The first week or two, I had a little nausea, but no SE now :). Best Wishes!”

Nat · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2018

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “Today was day 5 of Fetzima and although I was initially a fan, I no longer am one. I definitely felt an increase in energy my first 2 days on it. On day 3 I went back to my usual sleepy self and I also started experiencing some of the side effects. Nausea, increased heart rate, weird anxiety (feeling on edge).. it wasn’t a very nice combo of problems to deal with lol. I’m seeing my doctor tomorrow and coming off of this thing. I don’t think SNRIs work for someone like me who is super sensitive and a highly anxious person.”

StacyW May 1, 2014

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I started Fetzima earlier this year (2014) and I am now going off of it because it just didn't work for me. The one thing it did do for me was give me some energy which I sorely lack. That's why I gave it a "3" because it did do something. But what I really need is something to lift my mood, and this it did not do. The depression is still very bad. My doctor just switched me to Brintellix today. Here's hoping.”

916 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 27, 2017

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “Fetzima, I was originally turned off by the name because of the douchey Zima drink that was the rage for a few months back in 2009. After that I have to say this medication works FOR ME. Everyone is different. I've tried almost everything in a psych. Hand book even cocktails of medications. I am happy to say the current 80 mg dose has been a dramatic change in my life. Like most with bad depression and anxiety stemming from childhood it can be crippling effecting everything an everyone in your life. I'm happy to say I have turned things around on this particular cocktail of medication but I will say this the fetzima is the thing that made the difference. It's like adding mint to a mojito. Things turnedgood from the start of fetzima.”

vegwellian · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 25, 2016

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “This is an update to my comments from March. I am still very happy with it. I did experience itching and sweating initially but those side effects are long gone. I also felt teary and emotional for several months. At first, I thought the Fetzima was providing some pain relief, but , I must have just been having a remission period. I have Psoriatic Arthritis and Fibromyalgia. I do think it is having a wonderful effect on my binge eating disorder. I have lost much of my interest in junk food and sweets. I can occasionally eat these things without going overboard or setting my self up for cravings. I have not lost my appetite, but I have found myself becoming satisfied with less food and have been losing weight without much effort.”

Learn more about Major Depressive Disorder