User Reviews for Lacosamide

Also known as: Vimpat

Learn more about Lacosamide.

Seizures 86 reviews 49 medications

Summary of Lacosamide reviews 86 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Lacosamide

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I've been on 200 mg twice a day and my seizures have improved"

NewCamper April 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have been on Vimpat for four years and have been seizure free since starting it. I do get a little dopey an hour after I take it; however, it's not to the degree that it interferes with work or driving. The side effects lessen the longer I've been on it. I'm in NC, and my insurance does cover all but a $50 copay. This medicine is a life saver. I've tried Keppra, Topamax, Lamictal, and Depakote with no success. My doctor does yearly Vimpat blood level labs to make sure I keep at a therapeutic level and also screens vitamin D and B12 levels every six months since they can be affected by Vimpat. Good luck on your journey."

RGDNC April 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Horrible double vision keeps getting worse. On my 3rd set of glasses and 2nd try at prism lenses. Trying again soon."

Redchief37 March 30, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "VERY PLEASED WITH RESULTS IN CONJUNCTION WITH OTHER MEDS. I am seizure free. By taking vitamin B12 I am no longer tired. For 30 years my neuros treated me with wrong meds. I HAD EEG VIDEO MONITORING and they found my seizures were not in the frontal lobe."

NYY (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Make sure you are getting a factory sealed bottle! VIMPAT only has a shelf life of 7 weeks once opened. We were getting VIMPAT dispensed from a larger opened bottle at our pharmacy. This bottle may have been open well outside of the shelf life per VIMPAT guidelines. We changed the prescription over to another pharmacy and started to receive an factory sealed bottle. I mentioned this because during the time of receiving VIMPAT from original pharmacy our 3 year old myoclonic seizure activity was not controlled. Our Doctor couldn't believe the VIMPAT wasn't working and increased dosage slowly. When we switched over to new ones (sealed bottle) the seizures stopped immediately and he has been seizure free for 3 weeks now."

WLB74 March 19, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "No seizures"

Nurah March 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures: "Have a child diagnosed with it. Just info for all, this (lacosamide) tablet is way cheaper in protected countries like India. hope it helps."

Dravid_123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 5, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "My daughter has just been diagnosed with Epilepsy. She started with Keppra but had a seizure while on it so her doctor added Vimpat. He had given me sample packs at first to see how she did. She has been taking it for 4 weeks and seems to be doing well. My main problem is that for a 30 day supply it cost me (with insurance) $774!!!!!!! I was told that there is no generic available. It just amazes me that drug companies can do this to people."

New to Epilepsy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "The medication seem to work, is very expense and I have to do without it for 2 to 4 days. Looking for a generic. I am on a fixed income. I have a intermediate job. Trying to pay some old bills. Paying for this prescribed medication hinder me."

Jjay (taken for 10 years or more) January 29, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I noticed a difference from the first time I began taking it. I had fewer seizures, and as the dose was increased, and Zonisamide removed from my system, my seizure-control improved. I'm now on one pill if Vimpat, twice a day and seizure-free for two years. Thank you for having the God-given wisdom to use the knowledge you received to make this medicine. It has changed my life."

Gabriella M. January 12, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "After adding Vimpat to my Keppra regime, my seizures dropped to nearly nonexistent. I have tried most all other seizure meds, but this 1 worked for me. I realize everyone is different, this med worked for me with few side effects. I will gladly trade a few side effects versus a seizure."

mdb1968 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 11, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Sudden onset of seizures (tonic/clonic) at the age of 56. 6 days in the Neuro ICU & no cause determined (but I concede my sleep patterns need improvement). I'm on 100mg of Vimpat X 2 daily. No seizures since. (Yay!) But 8 weeks later, 3 side effects. Memory issues e.g., I'll read books for the first time, only to see my own notes in the margin. (So it's not the first read!) That's very distressing. Repeating myself. Also noticed vision changes, as if I need another RX glasses, & (7 out of 10 in pain) headaches for the first time in my life. I'm told to give Vimpat 90+ days to 6 months to adjust. Crossing fingers."

Jeannine59 December 1, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "So as I'm laying here reading, i'm finally realizing it's the meds & not just me. I'm 37yrs old but didn't become epileptic til 10yrs ago... they started me on Dilantin which I'm allergic to so they switched me to Keppra, I was having at least 1 episode every 3mths until I lost my mother which caused the seizures 2 really spiral out of control having at least 3 auras or seizures daily so they added Vimpat to my treatment and now I'm always uneasy, have trouble sleeping, crazy dreams & I'm like a ticking time bomb ready to snap on someone for the most simplest things smh... no patience which is causing me to seek mental therapy twice a wk... In case all you other users were not informed, this IS a narcotic that we are taking like it or not"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 25, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I've been on all sorts of meds to go monotherapy. Vimpat was the one. I did have a break through when I was on a super low dosage. At that point my Dr. Thought Topamax came out with an extended release and that just about killed ne. I went back onto Vimpat and felt like myself again. I am now still monotherapy and taking 200 2x day. I'm thankful for this drug. I feel like my witty creative self and not dull or slow. The only negative I can say is the price. Even with my insurance it's crazy. I use the coupon on the site too. It's just lots of money. Hope one day they release a generic one or lower the price."

Kimvimpatuser October 2, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Have had seizures since I was 8 and am now 36 and have been on Vimpat for a year now and has been the only medication to almost stop the gran mals all together. Used to have 4 to 6 a month mostly during my menstral and now have not had one in almost 3 months. There are some side effects migranes and major dizziness but those are not as often as they were in the begining and the way that I look at it is that the possitive out ways the negative. Best medication for me"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 17, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have been taking vimpat with topimax for over 6 months and it's terrible. It makes me nauseas, I feel high after taking it, i have double vision, and it hasn't even touched my seizures. It's been causing severe depression as well. My doctor just keeps increasing the topimax."

Dee not seizure free August 9, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "First of all I just started my full dose of 150mg twice a day. Dilantin I was allergic, Keppra made me not myself, Lamictal almost killed me. So far this is working well, I feel much more like myself and my wife has told me it's nice to have her husband back. The price even with insurance is insane. But I'm two weeks from driving and just want something that works. So far so good!"

CBR74 May 24, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I was on Keppra my doctor switched me to vimpat I can't see right walking is like a new born trying to begin to walk hitting into walls trouble sleeping bitting my inner cheeks a lot very sore can't sleep well feel something is going on while sleeping my bottom front lip is all cut and very sore I don't recommend not worth it I would rather have seizures."

jcred12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Nocturnal Grand Mal Seizures with Tremor for 35 years. I have been taking Vimpat for 3 years with limited success. At times I have had headaches, dizziness, vision problems, weight gain, tongue swelling to name a few. I was taking 300mg morning 300mg night along with 1200mg once daily of Aptiom (the new Tegritol with a twist) No problems until 4 months ago. My knees started swelling and my joints started hurting like a severe pain I have never had. All the muscles in my legs started cramping at the same time. I went down to 150mg. of Vimpat twice daily and the swelling went down but not away. The pain is less but still there. The trouble has to be the Vimpat because I have been taking the Aptiom for only 2 months. Hope this is helpful."

TJSum March 26, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "After the birth of my daughter my epilepsy came back full force. Just like it did when I was 15 years old in high school. I was extremely upset since my daughter was barely a month old and I was trying to figure out how to stay seizure free again. I started with Keppra 500mg. Then needed to raise it to 750mg for a year it was twice a day. Stress was a big factor that would set my seizures to join my life again. Started having seizures at work and ended up on keppra 1000mg twice a day. Still could not get the seizures to stop. Wean off the keppra and to vimpat 100mg twice a day. So much better but feel like I am not all the way recovered after all I went through. Did have weight gain and hair loss but way better than keppra for me"

Nessieazv January 16, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "While on this drug, I could not look at something without it moving. I felt a severe pain behind my eyes and no longer was able to sleep. I was put on this medication where they use it for patients with seizures more than any other drug. It was honestly a horrible experience, I would rather have seizures than be on this to be 100% honest with all of you. Really awful, do not let your doctors push this crap on you, I promise it is not worth it!"

Rachel SK January 16, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat worked great, Only med that has been able to control my seizures. Neurologist had to adjust dosage too much at each dosing made me dizzy. I was on 600mg 2x daily, but had to switch to 600 mg 3x daily. It is very expensive w/o insurance. But I couldn't ask for any other med. This is the ONLY MED that has controlled my seizures. 2 years seizure free."

dino05 January 7, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat made me see double of everything after first week I took. Very bad feeling did not help my seizures well. Only down by 50%. And felt at night restless in legs. Dizziness when walking in daytime. Not take anymore feel better. Now take topamax and I find it much better"

Bjorg T (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 16, 2015

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have partial complex seizures. I also take tegretol XR and Diamox. Before Vimpat I was a seizure at least 3-5 times a month, especially after my menstruation. But I can say with the vimpat I don't have seizures, I will a little jump here and there but nothing major. The major side effects I have experience are the following: weight gain (about 50 pounds), dizzy when I intially take it if I don't eat enough food, and sometimes my words and thoughts would be off. lately I notice that I fall a lot but I don't know if its related or the vimpat. But I can say it has controlled my seizues. It didn't increase my appetite but I have gained a lot of weight, my Dr say its normal with Vimpat. I receive Vimpat for free with the patient assitance."

Nikki0723 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 8, 2015

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat severely increased my seizure activity. I took lamictal for 15 years by itself and it was extrememly effective until after childbirth. I developed a rash after a 50mg increase to try and cover the auras I was having. So, because of "the rash", I had to stop taking lamictal altogether. I started Vimpat before they weaned me off lamictal and I was having seizures daily, sometimes twice. As I weaned off the lamictal, the seizures continued and then I became aggressive. A side effect of Vimpat is mental alertness. Caffiene is a trigger for me so it was almost as Vimpat was the equivalent of drinking several energy drinks. I can't take Vimpat"

scrappy13 (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2015