User Reviews for Lacosamide

Seizures

Summary of Lacosamide reviews 7.1 113 reviews

Reviews for Lacosamide

Jen June 26, 2019

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Epilepsy: "I have Grand Mal seizures, and once I started taking Vimpat, I am almost 100% seizure free"

K8ttemple · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2019

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat has been prescribed for seizures. I had been on Topamax and lamictal for years. The Vimpat is taking the place of the Topamax. Side affects of Topamax were unbearable- poor word retrieval, tremors, and weight loss. Since the medication change (2 months ago) I am dealing with extreme short term memory loss, and weight gain. I’ve had no seizures and love the fact that word retrieval is easier (but not fully resolved). I feel vain but the weight gain is a problem for me. Is anyone dealing with weight gain too? What about short term memory issues?"

kittykat · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 26, 2019

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I just started this medicine after I got a phase 2 surgery. It has helped with the longevity of the seizure but it hasn't stopped them. I have now noticed the side effects of it my hair is turning white and breaking easily, the vertigo and nausea if I don't eat enough by the second dose. My eyes and urine have darken not to mention I have to use the restroom a million times a day. I don't know if I should stay on it or go ahead and get off?"

CrossTownTraffic · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 23, 2019

For Epilepsy: "I have been on Vimpat 400mg for 6 months seizure free. Prior to this I had seizures regularly. It is high quality and comes through in preventing the generalized seizures right when I am near the threshold. It is very expensive and UCB will bankrupt you but it is worth it for no grand mal seizures."

Jenee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 20, 2019

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Epilepsy: "I’ve been taking Vimpat for about 7 months maybe. This would be my fifth medication switch for my epilepsy and I have found one that finally works. I do still have seizures but not nearly as bad as before so I’m excited! The side effects I have noticed would be itchy skin, numbness and tingling of extremities, fatigue for sure, crazy weight gain, migraines. I think those are the ones that are the most aggravating. BUT my seizures are better so you have to take the good with the bad I guess. If I could get the weight gain to stop I can live with the rest."

Bj · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2019

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have only been on vimpat for a month. So far I love it. No real side effects. I haven't had any partial seizures. The most wonderful thing, not sure its the vimpat but not sure what else it could be, is that I have not had migraines. My migraines were very similar to my partial seizures... no headache... but speech and cognitive issues. Was having either migraines or partials almost daily. Nothing. And nothing helped. So happy. Hope it holds true!!"

Allie · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 2, 2019

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat has been the best drug that I have been on for almost 3 years to help with my Seizures, and has worked well after all of the other medications that my Doctor has tried before this."

16WithA100Conditions · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I’ve been on a lot of seizure medication and only one works for me. My neuro thought it would be a good idea to try this because it also treats nerve pain. I was advised to 1/2 a 50mg. I took it and less than an hour later I felt drunk. I didn’t trust myself to get up and when I did everything was intense. My face flushed. I had a hive on my face. I was anxious. Agitated. The worst of all: My breathing was shallow & my O2 level was lower I couldn’t get it above 95-96. This lasted throughout the night. The morning I woke up with negative feelings. It was to the point I was concerned. After the whole drugs life, I still feel a mild mental effect from it less than a week later. My seizures were no better nor worse. (I’ll give it that.) I wish I hadn’t have taken this medication even at 25mg."

Seezy November 13, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat 200 mg. 2x/day. 10 mg clobazam 1x day. Vimpat is a honeymoon drug, it works great for a few years and then: -ringing in ears ( highly manageable) -insomnia. -Memory issues! -laziness sets in, everything is a chore! For people using Vimpat in their 50’s you will eventually experience all the above especially if on max dosage. Your biggest complaint will be SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSS! AND INABILITY TO ARTICULATE YOURSELF PROPERLY. You will be looking at a bunch of documents you were working on just the day before and can’t remember what they are for! Names of people and thoughts SHOT! I am severely disappointed with Vimpat, I thought I finally hit the right drug therapy but I guess good things must come to end. I would appreciate if anyone can suggest something new and shiny for complex partials. Btw, titration is highly unpleasant. You might have self harm ideations as well! Try to take really early in the am and on the dot at night. A very pricey drug!"

Blossom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 25, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat has also saved me. I have tried nearly all the anti seizure medications. Most of them had side effects ranging from dry mouth to memory loss where I have not been able to remember friends names or common words. The main problem was that I had to increase to such high levels that they were unsafe or my body seemed to develop a tolerance. I have been on Vimpat for nearly a year now with very few of my symptoms which is amazing because without medication I would have problems every 1-2 minutes. The side effects are virtually negligible. My tongue and lips are a little numb when I take the tablets and I get headaches when the medication is altered. The major problem is the cost!"

Tuck · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 10, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Saved my life. I've been on almost every single available seizure medication over 8+ years. Multiple pills at one time at large doses each...I've already slit my wrist because of my life and horrible medications. This one has finally ended my suffering. I can finally go to sleep at night without the fear of waking up covered in vomit and blood and forgetting who I am."

Anonymous July 31, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "POSITIVES: I have my normal energy and personality. NEGATIVES: $750.00 for 30 day supply with insurance! I have a little blurred vision, ringing in my ears and short term memory loss. (can't remember things from the day and week and can't find words to talk well especially in groups of people). I am 59 years old and starting having multiple auras at age 56 which led to 2 grand Mal seizures. Keppra made me extremely tired and anxious. Dylantin made me extremely tired, off balanced and "high" feeling. Vimpat has worked the best with 2-150mg pills per day."

PAOFPA · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 21, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I must rate Vimpat as a Negative, a source of seizures. Started – Fighting seizures for 45 years. I started Lamictal-Vimpat regimen 8 years ago. The doctor received nothing but complains. He cut the levels in half. Afterwards, he got questions when why meds were only working when I was on a limited light-carbohydrate diet. He got tired of me and STOPPED the Vimpat. Now on a light amount of Limictal. The past year the seizures are gone, first time. Stopped diet and gained weight? Best guess, excessive meds have been my primary source of seizures."

Susan · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 16, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I take 100 mg Vimpat, twice daily with Topamax (125 mg, twice daily). Works VERY well. However, I have lately noticed a ringing in my ears, noticing it only at night, and am wondering if that's a lesser known side effect of the Vimpat. Anyone else out there experiencing that too? Just curious. Otherwise, no complaints."

Paulcork July 15, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I had my first seizure 5 months ago, I’m a 44 year old man. I’m now on vimpat twice a day, 100mg each time. I had a lot of side effects when I started but feel great now. I was very tired , needed to go to bed about 8pm ever night of the week. The tiredness is now gone. I did have a few beers when I started on vimpat but it didn’t work with the medication. I would suggest you stay off the beer. Vimpat has changed my life for the good, I can now think straight and have seen a big improvement in my memory. Best of luck to all."

Teridaktyl · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 30, 2018

For Seizures: "I haven’t been on lacosamide long enough to tell if it’s helping my seizures, but I have been having nightmares almost every night. I used to have pleasant dreams, this sucks! I have been on carbamazepine for 10+ years and I would have breakthrough seizures when I was super stressed and usually around my period. So this medicine was added on to my routine. I just read an article that said nightmares are our souls way of healing. Maybe my soul is just really messed up!"

Cyevans · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 24, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I started this medication in 2011. The Vimpat along with clonazepam has worked perfectly for me. I haven't had a seizure since 2012. I do notice my vision has changed, a little more blurred, but I am over 55 so I guess that also comes with age. I am happy Vimpat works for me!"

Pat Podo April 24, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Okay so I figured I'd do everybody a favor and tell you how this medicine does. I'm a patient, and I recently switched to Vimpat because I hate Keppra. Keppra wasn't working for me, I recently totalled my car heading to work after a seizure. I was on the max of Keppra, turned me into a psycho The Last 5 Years, then I read how bad it was. Vimpat has been awesome. Been a month I've noticed I'm nice, I'm not blowing up either. It hasn't really got me high, obviously light-headed on an empty stomach. I haven't had a seizure in a month first time in a long time. I'm currently taking 100mg Vimpat tablets 2x day, 500mg Keppra 2x day. 200 mg lamictal 2× day. Fact I've noticed this change while on my Keppra is awesome. I've also felt like I remember things better lately. It's only been a month nothing but good news for me so far. Longest run without a seizure. Lots of insurances won't cover it though because it's an expensive drug. Its a controlled substance too, cat 5."

TC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 22, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Has practically eliminated my seizures. I was surprised it was a controlled substance. The side effects are minimal for me. No problems driving, etc."

Male; 63 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 14, 2018

For Seizures: "I've been on over 30 AEDs since I was 12 years old. I also had a left-temporal lobectomy in 1999. I still have seizures, but not as many and not as violent. I believe lacosamide has helped. I'm up to 800mg/day, and I certainly have side effects of bad balance, dizziness, short-term memory problems, and shakiness, but I'd rather have those problems than have my seizures. Lacosamide didn't do as well by itself as it doing now with Aptiom at 300mg/day. With the addition of Aptiom, I couldn't even walk, and I still had simple-partial seizures weekly. Now I'm down to less than three seizures monthly. Side effects are still a problem, but I'd still rather have those than seizures."

Delty · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 13, 2017

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have grand mal (tonic-clonic) seizures which are the full body go crazy type. They started 2 years ago with no warning or cause. I'm now 28 years old and the neurologist at mayo and scans/images see nothing wrong. I started with keppra but that didn't do a thing. I used to have 1-3 seizures every 30 days. I started on 100mg, then 200mg twice daily since May 2017 and seizures have at least lessened to at most once a month. I went 3 months before a seizure (new record!) which is great. also lessened the strength of my seizures and the postictal phase. I do experience heavy memory loss, difficulty remembering new things, random headaches, difficulty w/ speech and finding the right words, and rarely random dizziness but that goes away quick. Overall, I can work and I'm still me"

ghost5 December 5, 2017

For Seizures: "I've only been on vimpat/lacosamide for absence seizures for five days so far, so I can't say how affective it is yet for sure (I'm having the same amount of seizures I've had since taking lamotrigine for the past 3 years). I have noticed in the first 2 days I had nausea & headaches, but now by far the worst side effect I've had is stuttering, choppy speech and forgetting simple words. Ever since taking epilim chrono, I've had side effects with basically all the other meds I've taken since (the month & a half I was on epilim was simultaneously great & bad, bc it took away most of my seizures but I had almost every side effect listed, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had the experience of that?) I'm hoping the side effects might pass ugh"

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2017

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Had blurry double vision first week and half, felt mildly drunk headed also random spaciness and yes that's a word lol. Also on Trileptal. so far it's helped but it seems to be an intoxicating substance or it really brings out the side effect profile of clonazepam. I would bet its Vimpat alone."

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 14, 2017

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "It was a great drug has stopped my seizures for 5 years. But the problem is I think I am very allergic to the medication. I started having side affects that I noticed about a year after starting vimpat. Extreme hair loss to where it was just falling out in the showe,r my hair has thinned so much. Itching all over my body scalp legs arms. Ringing in my ears. Little bumps all over my body, I have gone to a dermatologist but he says it's dermatitis I have never had that until vimpat. The newest thing in the last 2 years severe cystic acne on my face, I have never had acne maybe a bump or 2 as a teenager. 2 years ago at 36 I started getting painful cystic acne this is also because of vimpat. And last of all weight gain, I am 38."

Rboo September 24, 2017

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have been using vimpat since 2011. I found a New Doctor in 2011 he ordered Vimpat 100mg 2x a day, along with Clonezapam .05 2x a day, Somehow this was the perfect combination of both medicines as I have been Seizure free for 5 years! Vimpat Works For Me! :-)"