User Reviews for Lacosamide to treat Seizures

Also known as: Vimpat

Lacosamide Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Lacosamide

Veener · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2020

Vimpat (lacosamide): “My doctor put me on Vimpat got the first prescription for 20 dollars went to fill today $13000 dollars. Really liked it but can't afford it so now I have to take affordable med. It cost more than my house payment”

Diesel1 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 25, 2020

Vimpat (lacosamide): “Came off depakote trying to be able to function with school and normal life. Vimpat is a great drug and stopped my seizures. Way better than keppra and depakote. Makes me a little drowsy and tired. Also had weight gain. All and all a very good drug for seizures.”

Nonnie January 1, 2020

Vimpat (lacosamide): “Was on Keppra for a long time and introduced to Vimpat along with it. The side effects for Keppra almost blinded me and I went off of it and only take Vimpat now. Didn't realize how brutal the headaches were on Keppra until I stopped the Keppra. Vimpat works for me and keeps the seizures away.”

TheBlackCat November 21, 2019

Vimpat (lacosamide): “Horrible drug. I had nausea & threw up several times - taking it with food did not prevent this. I was on both Vimpat & Keppra at the same time (I was being weaned off Keppra then). For the first 3 weeks I would take both at the same time. When I would take them both I would end up with heart palpitations and I don't even have heart problems! I looked it up online since there was nothing about this in Vimpat's information pamphlet. When I did it said that heart palpitations are more likely to occur if you take Vimpat with Keppra. There is NOTHING about this interaction in either drug's information pamphlet. There should be. My neurologist didn't even know there was an interaction. I found out because I typed in "Vimpat Heart Palpitations" on Google. It was listed on a medical website. If the information I read is online why isn't it in the information pamphlets for both drugs? I had to take the Vimpat and Keppra separately, 5 hours apart, to avoid this ugly cross interaction.”

SeizureMom · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 15, 2019

“My son has tonic clonic (grand mal seizures) and was first put on keppra. It did nothing to control his seizures. His doctor then put him on vimpat and as long as he is consistent with taking it, it controls his seizures. ”

Aweeeztx · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 12, 2019

Vimpat (lacosamide): “I have been taking Vimpat 400mg / day for a year and Keppra 3000 mg/day for five years. Yes, this combination stopped my grand Mal seizures completely. That's great . However, the side effects are EXTREME and Vimpat will BANKRUPT you . You have to weigh the benefits and downsides before you jump in. The price of Vimpat is $1,000 per month thanks to UCB, the maker.”

Glynda · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 1, 2019

Vimpat (lacosamide): “Had a TBI and as a result was experiencing grandmal as well as partial seizures. Tried a series of medications from dilantin, Keppra, zonegran, and then my neurologist placed me on a regimen of topiramate and Vimpat. The topiramate has stopped the tonic clinic seizures and the Vimpat has been a miracle. Unfortunately I might be losing Medicare part D help and won't be able to afford the Vimpat. Has anyone has any issues with weaning themselves from this medication?”

Sally · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 6, 2019

Vimpat (lacosamide): “I have been taking Vimpat for a while now and had a lot of these symptoms listed below. Tiredness, dizziness, headaches, double vision, loss of balance, feeling faint, shaky/trembling, nausea, shortness of breath, pounding heart beat, trouble sleeping, dark urine, irritability, panic attacks, worsen anxiety, memory issues, ringing in the ears, can't find the word when speaking, weight gain, nervous tics,and itching. On top of that my seizure activity seemed to increase, not decrease. I have told my doctor over and over again and she told me to increase the dosage! Then, the doctor tried to push the VNS surgery on me. I thought about it at first, but I have not read the best reviews on that either. I feel like she is shoving Vimpat and VNS surgery down my throat so she can get kick backs from the pharmaceutical companies.”

Seizure Guy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 31, 2019

Vimpat (lacosamide): “This drug works excellent at controlling seizures. I haven't had a seizure since I titrated to the max dose 10 months ago. However , it had some serious side effects and is unbelievably expensive and will bankrupt you. I'm also on 3,000 mg Keppra . Good luck”

K8ttemple · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2019

Vimpat (lacosamide): “Vimpat has been prescribed for seizures. I had been on Topamax and lamictal for years. The Vimpat is taking the place of the Topamax. Side affects of Topamax were unbearable- poor word retrieval, tremors, and weight loss. Since the medication change (2 months ago) I am dealing with extreme short term memory loss, and weight gain. I’ve had no seizures and love the fact that word retrieval is easier (but not fully resolved). I feel vain but the weight gain is a problem for me. Is anyone dealing with weight gain too? What about short term memory issues?”

kittykat · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 26, 2019

Vimpat (lacosamide): “I just started this medicine after I got a phase 2 surgery. It has helped with the longevity of the seizure but it hasn't stopped them. I have now noticed the side effects of it my hair is turning white and breaking easily, the vertigo and nausea if I don't eat enough by the second dose. My eyes and urine have darken not to mention I have to use the restroom a million times a day. I don't know if I should stay on it or go ahead and get off?”

Bj · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2019

Vimpat (lacosamide): “I have only been on vimpat for a month. So far I love it. No real side effects. I haven't had any partial seizures. The most wonderful thing, not sure its the vimpat but not sure what else it could be, is that I have not had migraines. My migraines were very similar to my partial seizures... no headache... but speech and cognitive issues. Was having either migraines or partials almost daily. Nothing. And nothing helped. So happy. Hope it holds true!!”

Allie · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 2, 2019

Vimpat (lacosamide): “Vimpat has been the best drug that I have been on for almost 3 years to help with my Seizures, and has worked well after all of the other medications that my Doctor has tried before this.”

16WithA100Conditions · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide): “I’ve been on a lot of seizure medication and only one works for me. My neuro thought it would be a good idea to try this because it also treats nerve pain. I was advised to 1/2 a 50mg. I took it and less than an hour later I felt drunk. I didn’t trust myself to get up and when I did everything was intense. My face flushed. I had a hive on my face. I was anxious. Agitated. The worst of all: My breathing was shallow & my O2 level was lower I couldn’t get it above 95-96. This lasted throughout the night. The morning I woke up with negative feelings. It was to the point I was concerned. After the whole drugs life, I still feel a mild mental effect from it less than a week later. My seizures were no better nor worse. (I’ll give it that.) I wish I hadn’t have taken this medication even at 25mg.”

Seezy November 13, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide): “Vimpat 200 mg. 2x/day. 10 mg clobazam 1x day. Vimpat is a honeymoon drug, it works great for a few years and then: -ringing in ears ( highly manageable) -insomnia. -Memory issues! -laziness sets in, everything is a chore! For people using Vimpat in their 50’s you will eventually experience all the above especially if on max dosage. Your biggest complaint will be SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSS! AND INABILITY TO ARTICULATE YOURSELF PROPERLY. You will be looking at a bunch of documents you were working on just the day before and can’t remember what they are for! Names of people and thoughts SHOT! I am severely disappointed with Vimpat, I thought I finally hit the right drug therapy but I guess good things must come to end. I would appreciate if anyone can suggest something new and shiny for complex partials. Btw, titration is highly unpleasant. You might have self harm ideations as well! Try to take really early in the am and on the dot at night. A very pricey drug!”

Blossom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 25, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide): “Vimpat has also saved me. I have tried nearly all the anti seizure medications. Most of them had side effects ranging from dry mouth to memory loss where I have not been able to remember friends names or common words. The main problem was that I had to increase to such high levels that they were unsafe or my body seemed to develop a tolerance. I have been on Vimpat for nearly a year now with very few of my symptoms which is amazing because without medication I would have problems every 1-2 minutes. The side effects are virtually negligible. My tongue and lips are a little numb when I take the tablets and I get headaches when the medication is altered. The major problem is the cost!”

Tuck · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 10, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide): “Saved my life. I've been on almost every single available seizure medication over 8+ years. Multiple pills at one time at large doses each...I've already slit my wrist because of my life and horrible medications. This one has finally ended my suffering. I can finally go to sleep at night without the fear of waking up covered in vomit and blood and forgetting who I am.”

Anonymous July 31, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide): “POSITIVES: I have my normal energy and personality. NEGATIVES: $750.00 for 30 day supply with insurance! I have a little blurred vision, ringing in my ears and short term memory loss. (can't remember things from the day and week and can't find words to talk well especially in groups of people). I am 59 years old and starting having multiple auras at age 56 which led to 2 grand Mal seizures. Keppra made me extremely tired and anxious. Dylantin made me extremely tired, off balanced and "high" feeling. Vimpat has worked the best with 2-150mg pills per day.”

PAOFPA · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 21, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide): “I must rate Vimpat as a Negative, a source of seizures. Started – Fighting seizures for 45 years. I started Lamictal-Vimpat regimen 8 years ago. The doctor received nothing but complains. He cut the levels in half. Afterwards, he got questions when why meds were only working when I was on a limited light-carbohydrate diet. He got tired of me and STOPPED the Vimpat. Now on a light amount of Limictal. The past year the seizures are gone, first time. Stopped diet and gained weight? Best guess, excessive meds have been my primary source of seizures.”

Susan · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 16, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide): “I take 100 mg Vimpat, twice daily with Topamax (125 mg, twice daily). Works VERY well. However, I have lately noticed a ringing in my ears, noticing it only at night, and am wondering if that's a lesser known side effect of the Vimpat. Anyone else out there experiencing that too? Just curious. Otherwise, no complaints.”

Paulcork July 15, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide): “I had my first seizure 5 months ago, I’m a 44 year old man. I’m now on vimpat twice a day, 100mg each time. I had a lot of side effects when I started but feel great now. I was very tired , needed to go to bed about 8pm ever night of the week. The tiredness is now gone. I did have a few beers when I started on vimpat but it didn’t work with the medication. I would suggest you stay off the beer. Vimpat has changed my life for the good, I can now think straight and have seen a big improvement in my memory. Best of luck to all.”

Teridaktyl · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 30, 2018

“I haven’t been on lacosamide long enough to tell if it’s helping my seizures, but I have been having nightmares almost every night. I used to have pleasant dreams, this sucks! I have been on carbamazepine for 10+ years and I would have breakthrough seizures when I was super stressed and usually around my period. So this medicine was added on to my routine. I just read an article that said nightmares are our souls way of healing. Maybe my soul is just really messed up!”

Cyevans · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 24, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide): “I started this medication in 2011. The Vimpat along with clonazepam has worked perfectly for me. I haven't had a seizure since 2012. I do notice my vision has changed, a little more blurred, but I am over 55 so I guess that also comes with age. I am happy Vimpat works for me!”

Pat Podo April 24, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide): “Okay so I figured I'd do everybody a favor and tell you how this medicine does. I'm a patient, and I recently switched to Vimpat because I hate Keppra. Keppra wasn't working for me, I recently totalled my car heading to work after a seizure. I was on the max of Keppra, turned me into a psycho The Last 5 Years, then I read how bad it was. Vimpat has been awesome. Been a month I've noticed I'm nice, I'm not blowing up either. It hasn't really got me high, obviously light-headed on an empty stomach. I haven't had a seizure in a month first time in a long time. I'm currently taking 100mg Vimpat tablets 2x day, 500mg Keppra 2x day. 200 mg lamictal 2× day. Fact I've noticed this change while on my Keppra is awesome. I've also felt like I remember things better lately. It's only been a month nothing but good news for me so far. Longest run without a seizure. Lots of insurances won't cover it though because it's an expensive drug. Its a controlled substance too, cat 5.”

TC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 22, 2018

Vimpat (lacosamide): “Has practically eliminated my seizures. I was surprised it was a controlled substance. The side effects are minimal for me. No problems driving, etc.”