User Reviews for Lacosamide

Also known as: Vimpat

Learn more about Lacosamide.

Lacosamide Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 98 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Lacosamide to treat Seizures

Vimpat (lacosamide): "Have had seizures since I was 8 and am now 36 and have been on Vimpat for a year now and has been the only medication to almost stop the gran mals all together. Used to have 4 to 6 a month mostly during my menstral and now have not had one in almost 3 months. There are some side effects migranes and major dizziness but those are not as often as they were in the begining and the way that I look at it is that the possitive out ways the negative. Best medication for me"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 17, 2016

Vimpat (lacosamide): "I have been taking vimpat with topimax for over 6 months and it's terrible. It makes me nauseas, I feel high after taking it, i have double vision, and it hasn't even touched my seizures. It's been causing severe depression as well. My doctor just keeps increasing the topimax."

Dee not seizure free August 9, 2016

Vimpat (lacosamide): "First of all I just started my full dose of 150mg twice a day. Dilantin I was allergic, Keppra made me not myself, Lamictal almost killed me. So far this is working well, I feel much more like myself and my wife has told me it's nice to have her husband back. The price even with insurance is insane. But I'm two weeks from driving and just want something that works. So far so good!"

CBR74 May 24, 2016

Vimpat (lacosamide): "I was on Keppra my doctor switched me to vimpat I can't see right walking is like a new born trying to begin to walk hitting into walls trouble sleeping bitting my inner cheeks a lot very sore can't sleep well feel something is going on while sleeping my bottom front lip is all cut and very sore I don't recommend not worth it I would rather have seizures."

jcred12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

Vimpat (lacosamide): "Nocturnal Grand Mal Seizures with Tremor for 35 years. I have been taking Vimpat for 3 years with limited success. At times I have had headaches, dizziness, vision problems, weight gain, tongue swelling to name a few. I was taking 300mg morning 300mg night along with 1200mg once daily of Aptiom (the new Tegritol with a twist) No problems until 4 months ago. My knees started swelling and my joints started hurting like a severe pain I have never had. All the muscles in my legs started cramping at the same time. I went down to 150mg. of Vimpat twice daily and the swelling went down but not away. The pain is less but still there. The trouble has to be the Vimpat because I have been taking the Aptiom for only 2 months. Hope this is helpful."

TJSum March 26, 2016

Vimpat (lacosamide): "After the birth of my daughter my epilepsy came back full force. Just like it did when I was 15 years old in high school. I was extremely upset since my daughter was barely a month old and I was trying to figure out how to stay seizure free again. I started with Keppra 500mg. Then needed to raise it to 750mg for a year it was twice a day. Stress was a big factor that would set my seizures to join my life again. Started having seizures at work and ended up on keppra 1000mg twice a day. Still could not get the seizures to stop. Wean off the keppra and to vimpat 100mg twice a day. So much better but feel like I am not all the way recovered after all I went through. Did have weight gain and hair loss but way better than keppra for me"

Nessieazv January 16, 2016

Vimpat (lacosamide): "While on this drug, I could not look at something without it moving. I felt a severe pain behind my eyes and no longer was able to sleep. I was put on this medication where they use it for patients with seizures more than any other drug. It was honestly a horrible experience, I would rather have seizures than be on this to be 100% honest with all of you. Really awful, do not let your doctors push this crap on you, I promise it is not worth it!"

Rachel SK January 16, 2016

Vimpat (lacosamide): "Vimpat worked great, Only med that has been able to control my seizures. Neurologist had to adjust dosage too much at each dosing made me dizzy. I was on 600mg 2x daily, but had to switch to 600 mg 3x daily. It is very expensive w/o insurance. But I couldn't ask for any other med. This is the ONLY MED that has controlled my seizures. 2 years seizure free."

dino05 January 7, 2016

Vimpat (lacosamide): "Vimpat made me see double of everything after first week I took. Very bad feeling did not help my seizures well. Only down by 50%. And felt at night restless in legs. Dizziness when walking in daytime. Not take anymore feel better. Now take topamax and I find it much better"

Bjorg T (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 16, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "I have partial complex seizures. I also take tegretol XR and Diamox. Before Vimpat I was a seizure at least 3-5 times a month, especially after my menstruation. But I can say with the vimpat I don't have seizures, I will a little jump here and there but nothing major. The major side effects I have experience are the following: weight gain (about 50 pounds), dizzy when I intially take it if I don't eat enough food, and sometimes my words and thoughts would be off. lately I notice that I fall a lot but I don't know if its related or the vimpat. But I can say it has controlled my seizues. It didn't increase my appetite but I have gained a lot of weight, my Dr say its normal with Vimpat. I receive Vimpat for free with the patient assitance."

Nikki0723 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 8, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "Vimpat severely increased my seizure activity. I took lamictal for 15 years by itself and it was extrememly effective until after childbirth. I developed a rash after a 50mg increase to try and cover the auras I was having. So, because of "the rash", I had to stop taking lamictal altogether. I started Vimpat before they weaned me off lamictal and I was having seizures daily, sometimes twice. As I weaned off the lamictal, the seizures continued and then I became aggressive. A side effect of Vimpat is mental alertness. Caffiene is a trigger for me so it was almost as Vimpat was the equivalent of drinking several energy drinks. I can't take Vimpat"

scrappy13 (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "I have nocturnal epilepsy, since I was very young maybe 5 will say I've had it, I've been on all the drugs you could say nearly threw primary school to high school they made me sick and unable to function everyday spewing etc so at about 16 I said stuff it I'm not taking any at all I'll deal with it, so recently this year I started on Vimpat and OMG it's a lifesaver for me!! So awake and switched on my partner says I hardly ever daydream he says he hasn't felt me or seen me having seizures at all!! Yes I feel out of it still but that's just me if I feel more awake I'm happy I haven't had any of the symptoms people say but maybe headaches and my dreams are very vivid and I get nightmares but it's just like watching movies each night I guess LOL"

EMMIIpurp (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "I'm 25 and a little over 1 year ago I had my first seizure, grand mal. I had no warnings or auras and I fell and hit my head; leading to me being in a coma for 3 days. I started on Dilantan 100mg twice a day. I started having loss of coordination, slurred speech so I was switched over to Lamotrigine and was taking 25mg twice a day. That seemed to work nicely for about 4 months when I got up to 150mg twice a day. One morning I woke up with this giant nasty rash on the side of my neck and down the right side of my side and stomach. It was an allergic reaction. I'm now on vimpat 150mg twice a day. Only side effects I have with the Vimpat is I have serious issues trying to sleep, unexplained noise in my ears. However, I'm still having seizures!"

Maxwell1990 October 23, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "I was initially given 75mg twice a day for a seizure related toa brain tumor. The tumor was removed. I started radiation and chemo 1 month later on the same dose for another month. I went to a neurologist because I was told he would prescribe any Meds for anti seizure. Well he doubled the dose for 2 weeks then tripled it. Now I'm totally useless. They won't tell me why they tripled the dose only that I COULD have another seizure and that doctor was responsible. I'm not understanding why, if I had absolutely no symptoms why he would do this"

Vimbat (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "I take Vimpat 200 mg in the morning and at night. I have been on it for the past 7 years, but recently I have had severe vertigo to where the room felt like it was spinning, and I would end up sick for hours. I have to take a pill for dizziness it's gotten so bad. I think it's time for a change. I'm just scared to change because I have Grand Mal seizure, and I am severely allergic to Lamictal and Dilantin, don't know what to do next. I take Depakote 500 mg ER in the morning and at night and 250 mg ER at night. But I need that extra med at night to keep my seizure at bay."

Crystawn (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 23, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "I am 45 years old and had sudden onset of simple/complex seizures 3 years ago, 6-10 seizures a day. I was on Tegretol, Dilantin, ativan, 100 units of botox and celexa. I could not function function. Vomiting and sleeping. Progressed to grand mal. Went to Cleveland Clinic and they put me on Vimpat and Klonopin. I feel great despite one partial seizure a day. I have lost 8 pounds. I love it!"

jubers September 18, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "Partial seizures, simple and complex, addition of vimpat combined with lamictal eliminated all episodes. But, vimpat is making me crazy. Sad. Emotional wreck, easily agitated, but hey . No seizures."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 18, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "Does Vimpat seem to make anyone very,very forgetful ? I tend to explode verbally occasionally, in a negative way, and totally depressed. Sound any bit familiar? I'm on other meds but just seeing if anyone possibly noticed this from Vimpat. One other thing. I was working a lot of overtime both day and night and confused the amount of meds I was taking although I had them separated. Not good. Had terrible accident, was told the car rolled over 6 or 7 times. Thank god didn't involve any other cars or persons. Just drove off road. PLEASE take your meds as told to do so. Spine operation went well. GOD BLESS YOU , seat belt and air bags!!!"

Confused,not smart, Chris (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 31, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "Been takeing dilantin for grand mal started getting partial and hangover headache everyday started vimpat clear head no headaches no p artials or headache side effects constipation and limited sleep ao take melatonin for sleep and colace ao far so good"

gizmo029 August 9, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "Vimpat has been great for me!!!!!! No side affects, lower dosage than my Dilantin. So, can't say enough about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Finally!!!!!!!!!! (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "I have partial seizures. I take lithium and also take Valerian . The lithium worked fine. Now I just take Valerian. I do not think this would work for gran mal. I had vimpat pushed on me. I tried a free sample. Total garbage. In fact that's where I threw it out. Horrible drug.Felt like I was on LSD or some kind of mind frying drug.yuk.Makes me sick to think how I felt on it. I could not tolerate it AT ALL."

lisa mariejones July 23, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "Awful drug. My hair thinned by at least 50%, my vision was blurry for hours after taking it, I was uncoordinated and constantly bruised from walking into walls and furniture. It did control my absence seizures but I'm on lamictal and klonopin now and much happier."

Katie_r May 6, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "Vimpat is a cursed drug to me. Its helped with my seizures, but its not worth it for the side effects. I started it with Lamictal XR 500 mg. I had seizures at Vimpat 100 mg. At 200 mg, I was having extreme vertigo-- I couldn't even lay down. It happened a few times, along with other side effects. The doctor balanced it out at Lamictal XR 400 mg and Vimpat 150 mg. I have double-vision at least one a week (mild to high), nausea frequently, vomiting a few times a month, and sometimes off balance. A mild vertigo has happened a few times. If I don't eat it with a good amount of food, the side effects are almost guaranteed for me. It stops the seizures, but its not worth it."

TechStar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "Vimpat has been awesome at controlling my seizures. I was having multiple partial seizures a day and nocturnal grand mals every few months. However, I haven't had a seizure since I started taking Vimpat 6 years ago. I have experienced some of the same side effects others have mentioned; the dizziness/shaking, the sleepiness, the loss of my words/stuttering. I haven't experienced anything substantial with my hair or moods though, at least nothing that I can attribute to Vimpat alone. So all in all, it has worked well for me and the benefits outweigh the negative side effects."

KristineECU April 10, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide): "I started on Lyrica for my Simple Partial/Partial Complex seizures 5 years ago (by a previous neuro) and even though Lyrica was far from my current neuro's first choice he decided to keep me on it. He immediately added Vimpat. For the next 8 months, I had continued frequent spontaneous seizures and he persisted saying we just had to find the right dosage of both. He'd change the dosage by 50mg increases, different times of day, etc.. 8 months of terrible short term memory, lethargy, and a rainbow of different types of seizures and as a last ditch effort he lowered my morning dosage by 50mg and I went from a zombie to ME again! 5 years and I had issues only when stressed or sensory over load. But now they are sneaking back again..."

laurenbookscardio (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 30, 2014