User Reviews for Insulin glargine

Also known as: Basaglar, Lantus, Lantus OptiClik Cartridge, Lantus Solostar, Toujeo, Toujeo Solostar

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Insulin glargine.

Diabetes, Type 2
7.4

Diabetes, Type 1
6.1

Summary of Insulin glargine reviews 6.7 74 reviews

Reviews for Insulin glargine

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "I've been type 1 diabetic for over 50 years. I've seen lots of changes, most of them an improvement. However, Basaglar is NOT an improvement over Lantus for me. It is supposed to be Bio "Similar" (whatever that means) but my experience has not been a good one. Basaglar is unpredictable and has caused me much stress and anxiety because my blood sugar is all over the place and my insurance company has given me no choice. My last Hemoglobin A1c was 7.2 on Lantus. I'm going for blood work today. We'll see. A1c may be decent but my quality of life is not. Constant hypo glycemia at night and adjusting dosage ends up with high BS. I feel terrible!"

Good Diabetic (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toujeo Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "About 1 1/2 weeks into using Toujeo, 50 units at night, I started having rapid heartbeat and constant extra/skipped heartbeats. Dr said Toujeo could NOT cause that. Wore a halter monitor for 3 days. My Dr. asked me if I had always had an "irregular heartbeat." Hello?? No Dr. ever told me that and I never had one. You'd think my Dr. might know that? However, my nutritionist looked it up on her computer and said, "Oh, I'm sorry to tell you this, but irregular heartbeat is one of the most common side effects of Toujeo." I looked it up myself and sure enough...there it was. I stopped on my own...about 3 weeks later heartbeat slowly returned to normal. Toujeo caused??? YES, I think so."

Sugar pie (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I was switched by my insurance to Basaglar before then I was on lantus with blood sugar readings of 140-170 on average ever since the switch I've been reading at 230 or higher. My eating habits have not changed, fasting between meals and small snack before bed I've also changed the injection site to no improvement"

Torito October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Lantus did not work for me at all. Along with not working, it actually raised glucose readings from 12 to 16 by taking 14 units of Lantus. Weight gain was terrible and night time sweating turned the bed into a pool by midnight."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have taken 10 units yesterday for the first time I started with 10 units at 7am from 18.5 blood sugar, went up to 21.5 at 8am. I went to tesco shopping at 10am collapsed could not breath I was shaky, dizzy, and sweaty, two girls took me back to my car, phoned my wife she drove me home went to bed tested my blood sugar it was Hi, I tested my sugar every hour. It was at 1pm it went down to 30.7 and not until 7pm did it down to 15.8 and 9pm to 13.5 blood sugar this was the very first day....??? this nearly kill me..."

Nicholes Zachariades August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "My insurance made me switch from Lantus. I am still trying to gauge how closely 1 unit of basaglar = 1 unit of Lantus, but I have other issues with the pen. For one thing the numbers are really hard to read. Lantus numbers were very dark and easy to see. I also don't like the silence with injection. It clicked on Lantus and I could hear it was going in. The worst thing is that with the start of every new pen it hiccups and then engages so I don't get a full dose. I will start pushing out some of the insulin first and then start over from now on."

RoccoMama (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I too am having a difficult time trying to figure out dosage. For example I take the same dose every night: Wednesday night I have some cheese, sausage and 1/4 cup pretzels my morning sugar level was 158. Last night I had a huge bowl of ice cream, morning sugar 90. WTH!! This stuff also burns while injecting. I absolutely hate it."

Rose D August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "Moved from levemir to basaglar as my insurance "Discovery Medical Aid" won't cover levemir. Been using basaglar for about 3 weeks now. It's been horrible so far. It appears to peak after 10 hours so that made it unpredictable given how they say it should work. I halved the dose to counter the hypo's but now sugars are higher than usual any other time. I feel out of focus and dizzy. My chest feels "fluish". I am considering going back to levemir and paying the large copayment."

KennedyM July 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toujeo (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "My numbers have gone from 320 in the morning to 120. I do wake up with a headache but subsides after an hour or two."

Ydnic60 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "My insurance company, HealthPartners, took toujeo off of their formulary. The Sanofi drug rep supposedly set up a drug discount card at $10 per order. Sanofi now tells my pharmacist that my copay is $150-200 a month. There are several in his pharmacy dealing with the same Sanofi dishonesty. I hope it never gets back on the formulary, any Sanofi medication will be my last choice!"

Frankba March 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toujeo (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "My blood sugars had been somewhat erratic, so my doctor suggested switching me from Lantus to Toujeo. The only benefit I've found with Toujeo is the ease with which the insulin injects (my Lantus pens took more effort to push). My sugars are more consistent now, but they are consistently high. I am hoping that this is just an adjustment period, but based upon the other negative reviews I've read, I don't think so. I expect that I'll be switching back to Lantus."

Tbbxny February 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 1: "This insulin my insurance switched everyone who used lantus to this and it really doesn't work my sugars have been high ever since using it SMH just wish it was effective since its the only one like lantus that my insurance will approve.."

Nehtiah (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toujeo Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Toujeo Solostar was a vast improvement over the old insulin, the best part is the needles. The only thing that sucks, province of Ontario does not approve it. I wish they would get their act together. I am a senior and I have to pay for this type of insulin. I may have to change back to the old insulin soon unless Ontario Government approves it."

gudnason February 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toujeo (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Brought A1C down from 13 to 6.5"

Debannie1959 January 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toujeo (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have taken TOUJEO for 1&1/2 years now I have broken out with a rash & itching over my entire body for the past three months. Told my doctor he said that can't happen with insulin. I've been to three doctors all tell me the same. I STOPPED TAKEN TOUJEO The rash is starting to clear but it is slow in clearing. there is nothing that helps. ."

djricciyahoo.com (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toujeo (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I started taking the toujeo 20 units at night about 1 month ago and started having lots of problems my back and neck and vision feeling of not well, being depressed. I really thought I was dying I got off of it yesterday got back on my metformin. I am beginning to get better. The side effects were not good. I did not think it was the shot right away but it did not take me long to realise. I don't wont to go through that again. Please pay attention when you start feeling strange - be aware."

carolina13 January 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toujeo (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "I try to change every thing. The dose, the hour, it was à nightmare. After 4 months of high suger i go back to lantus."

Eddy02 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "My Veterinarian haa been making me buy Lantus Solostar pen insulin for the past year for my cat. I am having a lot if trouble with the insulin becoming cloudy with milky swirls and particulate in it early before the expiration date, and my vet insists I can get two months out of one pen @ $87. per pen, I cannot afford to refill every two weeks-one month! The insulin is DEFECTIVE and neither my Vet nir Wegmans Pharmacy nor Sanofi (manufacturer) will own up to any responsibility for this. I follow the Vets instructions meticulously, and am greatly upset that I am having so many problems with it, and no relief nor help from them. Sanofi insists its for human use ONLY so thus won't stand behind it, the Veterinarian claims all Vets use it..."

Anonymous November 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toujeo Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "Sanofi advertises a savings card to get it for $15 for 1 year. Unfortunately this is not true and they may give it to you for that amount for 1 or 2 months them much much more $. Basically false advertising but nothing you can do about it except avoid them from the beginning."

ExpensiveRx (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Diabetes, Type 1 with insulin resistance. I use Lantus and rapid acting Novolog together along with diet and exercise to adjust my blood sugars and get my A1C's where I want them. I know where I feel my best, for me its 100 -120 and my doctor says they work for him too. When I was 1st diagnosed 3 years ago they said I was Type 2 but later found I really was an misdiagnosed Type 1. Not that it really makes a difference as long as its controlled, which mine is with Lantus and Novolog. Neither of which are covered by my insurance. Luckily I found a clinic that only charges $5 per box. I need 1 box plus 1 pen of Lantus and 2 boxes of Novolog per month sometimes more so I keep 4 boxes in the fridge."

NanaFish (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been using Lantus La SoloStar for more than 5 years with excellent results. I inject 80 units before bedtime. While the medicine certainly does its job and keeps my sugars in check, I have to agree with the fact that using the plunger mechanism is a nuisance quite frequently. I have large hands so the small hand complaint is not my issue -- it's a matter of the amount of force required to push the plunger to make it operate that's the problem. It would be appreciated if the manufacturer would take peoples complaints into consideration and redesign the plunger system. I have used other such pens in the past in an effort to help control my sugars and their plungers were nowhere near as difficult as the Lantus."

Louis Maltese October 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 21 years . I would like to Thank The Company and the employees of Sanofi-Aventis USA LLC for producing, packaging and providing Lantus Insulin to pharmacies so That I am to receive Lantus Insulin Through my insurance company. The Lantus Insulin helps me Survive every day."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) September 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toujeo (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "My doctor took me off my pump because I was doing so well. We began with 10 units. I am now on 30 units after increasing over 4 month period. I am beginning to see some improvement but I am going to increase some more. I have used Novolog with better results. I have switched doctors and hope to go to a different injector pen to keep me of a pump."

RickyDerick (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Overall excellent medicine, but soreness at injection site and water retention."

Re re 3467 July 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toujeo Solostar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "When my doctor first put me on this I didn't like it. My sugars went up, but since I have been on it for awhile now, my a1c numbers have come down and my sugars numbers in the morning have also come down. Here lately they have been around 145 and in the afternoon they are around 106. I am impressed with toujeo so far."

Rebaf July 18, 2016