User Reviews for Insulin glargine

Also known as: Basaglar, Lantus, Lantus OptiClik Cartridge, Lantus SoloStar, Toujeo Max SoloStar, Toujeo SoloStar

Diabetes, Type 2
6.6

Diabetes, Type 1
5.3

Summary of Insulin glargine reviews 6.3 109 reviews

Reviews for Insulin glargine

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been fortunate. I've been on Lantus or Levemir for approximately 15 years. Despite its signature burning I use Lantus now because it's more effective. I find that it doesn't burn if I use a longer needle so that helps. Because I'm in the Medicare donut hole I've asked my doctor (just today) for a Basaglar rx. In the past he's given me sample Basaglar pen needles and I've found its effectiveness is identical to Lantus. I hope the cost will be lower since the donut hole cost right now is almost $300 for the Lantus. That means I've been relying on my regular insulin for control."

Default LKM (taken for 10 years or more) September 11, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "Not controlling blood sugar very well at all....pretty disappointed."

Jkh (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "As with many others, experiencing headaches, anxiety, dizziness, feeling in mental limbo, tired, though some symptoms clear by afternoon or late day. My problem is that the Endocrinologist I was seeing just since February quit at the same time he put me on Basaglar because Lantus was making me itch all over. I had side effects from all meds so my family dr. sent me to him. Hope to see a regular dr. soon who also has diabetes. Maybe she can help? Only good note is that my points are down. Scary that someone checked the "tube" on 4 or 5 and nothing came out. Sad to be a guinea pig or test subject. I'm older and only diagnosed in the last 4 years. Very disheartening to have this malady"

Press (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "This stuff is terrible! Its hard to use, hard to inject, inaccurate dosing, burns at injection site. Control isn't good either. I hate this and want to go back to Levemir ! Its all about insurance companies and money, not whats best for patients!"

Magic (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I started taking Basaglar two months ago. I had a massive headache for two weeks straight although my sugar went from 250 to 152 while using 12u. Then after the first two weeks, my headache went away but my sugar went way back up to the 300s. Went back to the doc and as per their instructions I increased the insulin by 5u every 3 days. At first there was no change. However when I got to 20u the persistent headaches started again, my vision blurred, I started to shake, and I broke out in a cold sweat. I had to leave work early 2 days in a row because I couldn't cope. No pain meds even Hydrocodone would help. After reading these reviews and experiencing this myself, I'm not taking this drug."

Keenanskid (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "With lantus my glucose was controlled, then Dr. gave me basaglar kwickpen and the problems started. I find that the pen doesn't delivers the amount that I have selected. Normally I use 40 units of lantus, with this kwickpen pen, I selected 40 units and the pen delivers different amounts, sometimes is 35 u. others 37 u. so my glucose went up, then I decided mark in the pen 44 u. so I compensated the amount that the pen delivers, then my glucose was to low, because the amount that delivers was 49 u. since then my A1C went up . I'm going to see my Dr. in 2 weeks and I know she is going to nag me because my A1C and it's the exactitude with the pen is compromised. If you are about to switch to this brand careful cause doesn't work properly."

tonyalaro (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "My insurance company made me wwitch to Basaglar from Lantus. Worked ok for about 2-3 weeks then my blood sugars were all over the place. Switched back to Lantus (after having to fight my insurance to cover it) and my blood sugars were perfect again. I wear a Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) System and would watch my sugars not remain constant and pin ball on Basaglar. Ever since I switched back to Lantus they are perfect again. Do. Not. Switch. To. Basaglar."

Bags (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2018

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I forgot my Lantus on a trip & felt great the whole time I was on vacation. I restarted it & felt worse each day: backache, cramping in legs, ringing in ears, fatigue. I had been exercising & walking while not on it and now since I have restarted I can't even bend over."

K. (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I took Lantus prior to Basaglar which was chemically "similar". Within days my blood glucose was out of control. Priorly, my HbA1c was 6.2 My glucose level rose from a norm of 109-179 to 154-228. Basaglar did NOT last a full 24 hours. Around hour 10 it seemed to wear off, causing elevated blood glucose levels. I developed a nagging, dry cough, swollen legs & upper abdomen. My doctor applied for a medical exception with my insurer and CVS to return to Lantus. I have to pay a higher co-pay (Basaglar copay's $30 & Lantus is $50 for a 3 week supply. To get a full month's supply I would have had to pay double that amount) The dry cough has not gone away. Neither has the swelling in my upper abdomen. My blood glucose levels are lower but are no longer under good control as before Basaglar. Very unhappy with the outcome. I filed a complaint with the FDA."

Cyndy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Twice now my blood sugar has bottomed out. A couple weeks ago it went to 29. Today, the glucometer said LOW. Had my daughter not been here to get me food and more glucose tabs, I would probably be in a coma or have already passed at this point. On the first occasion, I'm aware that I nicked a vein as I pulled the pen back and saw a speck of blood. When I mentioned this to my doctor, she said that couldn't happen because this is a basal insulin. I thought maybe she was right. But it happened this morning. I haven't felt like doing much, but have taken time to read. This DOES act like a fast acting insulin if it gets in your bloodstream. My mom was a diabetic to. She passed last July. The doctors told me her blood sugar got so low her body seized and she went into a coma. I couldn't understand how this happened when my mom had continually high blood sugar. How could it get so low. Now I know. What can be done about this? Even my doctor who prescribed this said it couldn't happen."

Thinton (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "My doctor put me on Basaglar and now I am experiencing joint pain in my shoulders, muscle cramps very often in my legs and arms, tingling and numbness in my fingertips and for the first time I had my chest feeling tight at night. So I saw a cardiologist and he wants me to do a stress test and I never had an indication of heart problems until taking Basaglar and my sugar readings now tend to increase throughout the day. My doctor recommended me to take a 2nd dose.. and even after the 2nd dose my sugar tends to increase throughout the day and several times it got as high as 385 by 3:30 p.m. which to me seems unusual so I began testing my sugar levels around 4:30 or 5 p.m. and they were still high.....around 250 or some times higher. The only thing it does do is lower my sugar at night. I've had high sugar levels 4 hours after eating lunch around 12:00 12:30 pm - this is something else that is happening. I do not want to take this medicine anymore I want out."

Afra (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "My insurance company switched me to this and I have went from my usual blood sugar of 90 to 120 to this morning 435. I have had muscle pain, night cramps increased appetite and weight gain. I hate this and I am on my way to the emergency room because of it. I feel a lawsuit coming on. I think this is an experimental drug and it’s hurting a lot of people. It a shame the greed that exhibits itself in the drug industry."

C (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "The drug is great but the pen gage locks at a number and it’s difficult to load it , I would prefer it sold in vials where I can draw out the dosage with a needle, they only make these in pens, a bit too steep for a beginner"

Ocusan April 19, 2018

Lantus SoloStar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have taken lantus for ten years it safe and a good drug . I have been having night sweats mainly on my legs is this normal ?"

Pam (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 16, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "My insurance Company switched me to Basalgar--and my blood sugar (BS) readings went up. I increased the dosage from 30 units of Lantus to 40 units of Basalgar, and now my BS is where it should be. I have no idea why my insurance company switched me--maybe some insurance clerks found a way to save some money!"

Normano (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "Endo was trying to help us save $ and said this tier 1 medication was cheaper than Levemir, which is tier 2, and should be the same thing. It's NOT! Blood sugar levels (BSL) had previously been 140-160 in the morning with Levemir. The only thing we changed was I started taking Basaglar at night. BSL is now 250-290 in the morning. It takes all day to come back down, and I'm having to take higher doses of Novalog during the day to control my BSL. This medication is terrible! It should be taken off the market immediately."

Bradynsmom (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Insurance switched me from lantus to basigular and A1C went from 7.2 to 8.5 in 2 months. I noticed spikes in BSL right away. Working on getting lantus back"

Jodyann (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2018

Lantus (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I used to take Lantus while pregnant, back when Lantus came in bottles and you used syringes. I loved how I felt well on Lantus. My dr. prefers I take oral meds, so I took pills for many years. Now I must stop Actos and Invokana to stop bone density loss, so my dr. just prescribed the new pen. I am excited to feel better soon. I have too much fatigue unless I take 45 mg Actos or insulin. All pills drive down my Ha1c, but having energy is important to my quality of life."

Janis12 (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Don't buy this and waste your money and/or Medicare benefits. Get a sample first. I injected 40 units at 9 pm first night. By 9:30 my eyes were swelled shut and my throat was swelling shut. Called an ambulance and was treated for anaphylactic shock. Released the next day with a red/black/blue welt at the injection site & a handful of Tresiba samples. (Which was what I had used prior to insurance trying to save a buck) Tossed all the Basalgar samples out except the one I used in case the FDA should want it after I filed my MedWatch report. A horrid drug, was obviously rushed pass the FDA with under table hand shakes. Shame on them. Two days later still shaky with an unending headache!"

Lehigh2000 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I also was on Lantus and my readings were good. But my insurance company is making me use cheaper basaglar and I also get muscle pain a little and my readings are higher. I was in the 90's to 130 with Lantus, but with the basaglar, I am in the 250 range or a little lower. It starts low in the morning and gradually get higher, and it also fluctuates and it does not last the 24 hours. If it lasts 8 hours it is a surprised. Thinking of telling FDA."

rmod (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2018

Toujeo SoloStar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "A little background: I’m a T1 diabetic who’s successfully used pens forever. I’m also a medical student and like to tinker with my prescriptions when I learn new stuff. I had been on a split-dose of Lantus for years and had given decludec (Tresiba) a shot with frustrating results. I was tired of the split Lantus, so I opted to give Toujeo a try – my endo advised me that many of her patients liked Tresiba better, but I had the exact opposite experience. My A1Cs went from 6.9 to 6.5 to 6.3 while on Toujeo… it hasn’t been 6.3 since high school! At first, my Toujeo dose was lower than the Lantus dose I’d been on, but I experienced the two-month bump I’d read about – basically, I had to increase back up to my old Lantus dose after 2 months. Only other downside is that the pen tips seem to get clogged more easily… which just reminds me that I should be changing them out more often anyway! Very, very happy with Toujeo overall."

LBishop (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Insurance switched me from Lantus to Basaglar and my numbers have been super unpredictable. I was improving on Lantus (down from 50 units a day to 10 units), readings averaging 140 and A1C down to 6.5. With Basaglar, my readings are averaging at 190 with highs of 270! I’m hoping my Endo will take me off this on the next visit."

Heather (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "My doctor prescribed Lantus, but as we all know - what the doctor prescribes is merely a suggestion as far as the insurance company is concerned... so I was placed in Basaglar. Instructions were to increase dosage gradually until my glucose levels were down. Note that I was taking Victoza which was no longer working yet I still had some key side effects dealing with digestive issues. My glucose is down at 40 units per day and just a small dose of Victoza. However I have no energy, just plain out of steam. Also I have a strong appetite and have gained weight - yet don't have the energy to exercise. Frustrating! Sure my glucose is down, but so it my energy! I see my doctor in a week and hope we make a major change."

AlanM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 1: "..replying to already in use. I used up the last of my lantus amd my blood sugar levels were in my drs range. I took my 1st injection of basaglar and ate normally, next morning my BSL were over 300 and I was was like what! I took my humalog and tested every 2/3 hrs..my BSL went down and took my basaglar again and ate normally like I would, no big meals..BSL went down after taking more humalog and the next morning again my BSL were around 300. Again tested every 2/3 hrs and went after 3 days I called my Dr with my BSL now waiting to hear back. I tried to figure out if my meter or my insulin was bad. I've had bad vials of insulin, so when the pharmacist says you cant get bad vials they're so wrong. Now I'm having same problems with my new insulin. I'm hoping they call tomorrow and either get me back on lantus or up basaglar. I got new pens so Im gonna try them tomorrow. I think basaglar just isn't working for me. I'm thinking basaglar isn't for TID..anyone else having the same problems?"

t1dat17yrsold (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine) for Diabetes, Type 2: "For some reason this formula seems to work better for me than Lantus did. Not sure why because they are allegedly the same thing. However, I never actually experienced anything like a "low" with Lantus. In fact, it seems to me that Lantus just didn't do much for me at all in terms of lowering blood sugar. Makes no sense unless maybe Lantus really needs to be refrigerated the whole time. The Basaglar pen is easier for me to use because it is just smoother during the injection process for me."

Lauren February 27, 2018