User Reviews for Insulin glargine to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Also known as: Lantus, Basaglar, Toujeo SoloStar, Lantus SoloStar, Semglee, Toujeo Max SoloStar

Insulin glargine has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 138 ratings for the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2. 33% of those users who reviewed Insulin glargine reported a positive effect, while 46% reported a negative effect.

Insulin glargine Rating Summary

4.9/10 average rating

Compare all 158 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Insulin glargine

Quirky · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2021

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “As with other patients, the insurance company forced me to use Basaglar in lieu of lantus, side effects are dangerous. Started having sleepless nights the painful swollen legs and body aches. Called my dr and he has switched me to treseba. My question is why does the insurance company risk our lives to save a few dollars, when the are boasting about making money every year? This is a horrible Medication.”

Frustrated-In-WA April 15, 2021

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “I had always used Lantus for my Type II Diabetes for several years. My new ins company's formulary doesn't cover it. I contacted Sanofi to get a $99 Rx Savings Card, which I used for 2 refills w/out problems. This month my Rx request for Lantus was switched over to Basaglar, which is UNACCEPTABLE and unauthorised. I tried this and it didn't work for me. I can't deal w/the side effects. I find it annoying and unconscionable that insurance companies have the audacity to switch patient meds w/out first consulting a patient's physician to make sure that patients won't experience adverse reactions to a change in med. There shouldn't be able to be doing this. "First Do No Harm" should be their primary focus not their own selfish bottom line. . The FDA DOESN'T consider nor did it approve Basaglar as a biosimilar 2 Lantus cuz Lantus wasn't approved under the Public Health Service Act, so there is no “reference product” for a proposed biosimilar product.”

Wren April 11, 2021

Toujeo SoloStar (insulin glargine): “I found this to be great at first, but like viktosa after 4 weeks of using my body reacted to it horribly. I started rotten egg burps which is a build up sulphur dioxide because food was now passing slower through digestive system, this would cause me to vomit rotten smelling food. The other side effect was feeling extremely tired and nauseous, chronic diarrhea which lasted for over a week, which in conjunction with the diarrhea caused a few accidents which was embarrassing at work as it would happen anytime. It made me scared to eat anything, my stomach became bloated within minutes of the injection, this was supposed to be a weekly dose for me. I stopped taking it for 3 weeks ago and all my symptoms went away, I then wanted to be sure this medication was the cause of my issues and I hadn't caught some other virus. So I took it on Thursday 8th April 2021 by Friday afternoon and all over the weekend my symptoms returned making me feel so unwell. So I won't be taking this anymore.”

Cursed · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2019

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “I agree with the vast majority of reviews here and elsewhere--Basaglar is garbage. It doesn't work at all! Before being switched I was waking up to levels between 80 to 135. Even with drastic increases in dosage, my levels are in the 300's and never come down, even while fasting. This garbage is a placebo--sugar water. Worthless and dangerous to use. God only knows what kind of damage it's causing diabetics!”

AEB September 4, 2019

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “I was on Lantus which worked beautifully for me. Like others, I was switched to Basaglar (not my doing). The issue I am having is that my appetite seems to have doubled. In a matter of two months I went from 188lb to 201lb. I know my diet as a diabetic is a delicate one. I have had no other changes in my meds whatsoever. This has occurred since I started this insulin. I hate it!!! Am I the only one that experienced this issue?”

Bob August 16, 2019

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “I have had "Type 2 Diabetes" for 20 years. Was on Lantus for most of that time. Blood sugars were so well controlled I was able to stop Lantus for weeks and stay on oral medications (not Metformin but Pioglitzone and Sitaglyptin). My insurance switched me to Basaglar. At first it seemed OK. However, in 24 hrs my sugar jumped from under 200 mg% to over 500 mg%. Reading the other patient reports and considering my own experience, I would say it is highly likely that the batches of Basaglar vary in potency. Note that in the online report on this insulin, https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cadth.ca%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fcdr%2Fseb%2FSE0451_Basaglar_SEB_Report.pdf vital information has been redacted. So, you can't view the reports on its purity or stability. This was a money saving gambit by the manufacturer. As an M.D. with 30 years of treating diabetes, I think this insulin is unreliable.”

Baronvonsteve · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 6, 2019

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “My insurance forced the switch from Lantus, which I have been taking for years, to Basaglar. I started to develop skin sensitivity, rash, and my sugar became hard to control. I also started having heart and breathing problems. The Basaglar also seems to deliver its payload rapidly several hours after injection causing hard to control highs and lows. I was able to get a card from Sanofi for discounted Lantus. Things are improving but I feel think I have a ways to go to undo the damage done by the Basaglar.”

Uncle D · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 28, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “Well...Those fools at my Insurance company have decided they know more than my Doctors about Medicating my Diabetes type 2..They Refused my Lantus script after 5 successful years of controlling my A1C..Insurance denied my Doctors pre-approval request 2 times? Basaglar was their replacement drug of choice sooo here we go.So far about 1 year now and as of today NO Bad Side Effects. My A1Cs are about the same as before and everything appears to be Fine? (Knock on Wood) I have had a Heart Attack recently and required 4 stents to get me up again on my feet. My Cardio team has reviewed my med list and do not think it has any relation to my using Basaglar as opposed to Lantus.I place my trust in my team and will continue to use Basaglar until I am advised against it by my doctors ,have a reaction to it or my insurance decides there is a cheaper alternative? God Help us All who lives are governed by the Decisions of a bunch of Insurance underwriters as apposed to the knowledge of our Doctors?”

L.Mark October 21, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “I had to change from lantus to basaglar due to insurance company changing pier status of lantus I am very concerned due to the inaccuracy of the basaglar kwikpen. Some times it gives the correct amount I have dialled in, more often it is lowering the amount I have dialled in. My morning blood sugar is fluctuating greatly because of this. If you are using this kwikpen be aware it may not be administering the correct dose. I feel there should be an investigation on the quality of pen.”

Rick · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2019

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “I have been on metformin for about 25 years and additional pill meds to supplement for a long time. Dr recently switched me to Basaglar a little over a month ago. Started at 15 units and have increased to 30. No change. Fasting sugars remain in the 250-280 range and mid 300’s two hours after meals. And this is while also taking 1000 MG of Metformin a day. Not happy with this.”

Magic · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “This stuff is terrible! Its hard to use, hard to inject, inaccurate dosing, burns at injection site. Control isn't good either. I hate this and want to go back to Levemir ! Its all about insurance companies and money, not whats best for patients!”

illinoistype2 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 4, 2019

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “Been on both Lantus and now Basaglar and with Lantus alone it controlled my BGL well. With Basaglar I have barely improved my A1C with it and now need Novolog at big meal to even keep my A1C below 8.0. It seems like Basaglar doesn’t do anything to level out the smaller spikes as Lantus did. I have tried different injection sites and nothing helps. I could probably inject saline solution and get better results. The FDA needs to re-evaluate Basaglar because it’s not close to being as effective as Lantus.”

fullofsugar January 31, 2012

Lantus (insulin glargine): “My doctor prescribed lantus at an increase of two units every three days until my fasting sugars are at 120 or below. After two months my readings still range between 250 and 315. I started at 20 units and am now up to 50. It probably is lowering my blood sugar to some degree, but not significantly. I need something more effective. At this rate I'll be up to 80 units daily or more to reach my goal and will suffer side effects from such a high dose. I feel hungry all the time since using this and I've gained weight. ”

Birdman · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 17, 2020

Toujeo SoloStar (insulin glargine): “I have taken Toujeo for over a year. A1C down 1.5 points. I gained weight the first three months but levelled off. I take 60 units each morning. Also metfomin 2000 mg a day. No bad side effects. Regulates my glucose readings. Very few plus 200. Usually 90-155. I’ll take it. I exercise three days a week but nothing Herculean. My diet is pretty low carb but Toujeo allows for a little cheating. My dose continues to be okay for now. Thought this might encourage a few to give it a try.”

Anniek · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2019

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “I have been on Basaglar for at least 6 mths and it was just ok. Now I have terrible heart issues and breathing problems. Will not take this any longer. Someone needs to check into these problems and make sure this drug is safe!!”

John · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2019

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “Was on Toujeo for years, which worked very well. My insurance dropped Toujeo in favor of Basalglar to reduce costs. For me, it’s much less effective. Morning blood glucose is 20-30 points higher; night is 40-50 points higher even with a 10 unit dosage increase. Basalglar is also 3x dilute, so it requires at least 3x injection volume increase. The injection pens seem to require more force which causes me to bend needles when I inject in kidney fat pads (can’t inject in belly anymore). I don’t like Basalglar.”

kpalmer62 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 16, 2019

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “Worst experience of my life! I've always maintained a A1c of 6.5 -7.2 on Lantus and using the Wal-Mart 70/30 but my insurance quit paying for my Lantus so I was switched to Basaglar and now I've had the worst A1c levels of 12.0 and 13.1 just this past week after 6 months! I been on to my insurance and finally they are paying for portion for my lantus Seems I'm not the only one”

Cyndy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “I took Lantus prior to Basaglar which was chemically "similar". Within days my blood glucose was out of control. Priorly, my HbA1c was 6.2 My glucose level rose from a norm of 109-179 to 154-228. Basaglar did NOT last a full 24 hours. Around hour 10 it seemed to wear off, causing elevated blood glucose levels. I developed a nagging, dry cough, swollen legs & upper abdomen. My doctor applied for a medical exception with my insurer and CVS to return to Lantus. I have to pay a higher co-pay (Basaglar copay's $30 & Lantus is $50 for a 3 week supply. To get a full month's supply I would have had to pay double that amount) The dry cough has not gone away. Neither has the swelling in my upper abdomen. My blood glucose levels are lower but are no longer under good control as before Basaglar. Very unhappy with the outcome. I filed a complaint with the FDA.”

GERIdtrager June 14, 2015

Lantus (insulin glargine): “People who have higher incomes on medicare and who take 2 insulins plus more than 10 other medications including additional tier 3 meds for life do not fit into any supported categories. I reached the donut hole April 19 when my monthly medicine payments were $45 for each tier 3 medicine. Now one lantus is $173 for 20 days, novalog is about the same plus a additional 250 or more for other meds. I worked hard all my life to get a decent social security and now have stopped taking my lantus because I cannot afford $173 for every 20 days. ”

tonyalaro · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 10, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “With lantus my glucose was controlled, then Dr. gave me basaglar kwickpen and the problems started. I find that the pen doesn't delivers the amount that I have selected. Normally I use 40 units of lantus, with this kwickpen pen, I selected 40 units and the pen delivers different amounts, sometimes is 35 u. others 37 u. so my glucose went up, then I decided mark in the pen 44 u. so I compensated the amount that the pen delivers, then my glucose was to low, because the amount that delivers was 49 u. since then my A1C went up . I'm going to see my Dr. in 2 weeks and I know she is going to nag me because my A1C and it's the exactitude with the pen is compromised. If you are about to switch to this brand careful cause doesn't work properly.”

Catwoman · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 3, 2020

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “I have been on Basaglar for about 6 months. I have used other types of Insulin in the past. I find the pen hard to push when I am administering my insulin. I have a pen right now that is defective. I cannot push it to distribute the insulin. It seems "stiff" to turn to number of units I need. I ended up using a new pen. I went to my pharmacy and talked to the pharmacist and he said he could not replace pen that I needed to contact company.”

Jersey Girl · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 21, 2020

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “My insurance company changed from Toujeo to Basaglar last year. The pen does not give a consistent dosage and there are also many air bubbles in the pen. Also the pen does not glide easily. My A1C is not consistent. Next Dr appointment I am going to speak to him about increasing dosage. I have complained to him about this pen. I also spoke to my pharmacist and he told me there are other complaints about Basaglar.”

Scofield · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2019

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “I would say, I have experienced the same as many here.... I was on Lantus, very expensive insurance carrier forced me to take a cheaper drug to enhance their profit margin and not only forced me to buy from their “preferred provider CVS Caremark, but also switch to Basaglar. Since switching my sugar has dramatically increased, especially in the morning for fasting blood sugar. This has forced me to increase my dosage, which doesn’t always work. I just got new insurance and I sure as heck am getting back on Lantus!”

Keenanskid · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “I started taking Basaglar two months ago. I had a massive headache for two weeks straight although my sugar went from 250 to 152 while using 12u. Then after the first two weeks, my headache went away but my sugar went way back up to the 300s. Went back to the doc and as per their instructions I increased the insulin by 5u every 3 days. At first there was no change. However when I got to 20u the persistent headaches started again, my vision blurred, I started to shake, and I broke out in a cold sweat. I had to leave work early 2 days in a row because I couldn't cope. No pain meds even Hydrocodone would help. After reading these reviews and experiencing this myself, I'm not taking this drug.”

TJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2020

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “Was taking lantus pen and blood sugar was under 100, I was feeling good. Since my insurance forced me to start using Basaglar pen my blood sugar shot up to over 400 sometimes 526 and I can't get it below 300. Nothing else changed but the insulin.”

Coach · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 24, 2019

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “Well I for one can honestly say THIS MEDICATION Basaglar does not work! Blood sugar was 400 after taking 40units of Basaglar overnight blood sugar when I woke up was 360 so I had to take rapid acting insulin to bring blood sugar down. I think they are trying get rid of us all with this stuff!”

C · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 27, 2018

Basaglar (insulin glargine): “My insurance company switched me to this and I have went from my usual blood sugar of 90 to 120 to this morning 435. I have had muscle pain, night cramps increased appetite and weight gain. I hate this and I am on my way to the emergency room because of it. I feel a lawsuit coming on. I think this is an experimental drug and it’s hurting a lot of people. It a shame the greed that exhibits itself in the drug industry.”

CASEYCARTER April 23, 2015

Lantus (insulin glargine): “I have been a diabetic for 20 years now. I am on metformin 1000mg two times a day. I have also been on Lantus for the same time. A Doctor can tell you what to take but it may not be right. I was told to take 65 units at bedtime, but if I was sick or did not eat much that day I could bottom out in the AM. What I'm trying to say is you will have to find the right dose for you by checking your blood sugar on a regular basis.If your blood sugar was 350 at bedtime my lantus dose would be 82. I seldom take the same dose every night and I am staying in the good A1C range 22 for a 435 range will not work for me either. It's tough but you must keep a log to see what dose you gave yourself the last time and adjust it from there. Love you guy's.”