User Reviews for Infliximab to treat Crohn's Disease

Also known as: Remicade, Inflectra, Renflexis, Avsola, Ixifi

Infliximab has an average rating of 4.4 out of 10 from a total of 21 ratings for the treatment of Crohn's Disease. 29% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 48% reported a negative effect.

Infliximab Rating Summary

4.4/10 average rating

Compare all 110 medications used in the treatment of Crohn's Disease.

Reviews for Infliximab

Soccer mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2021

Inflectra (infliximab): “Insurance forced me to switch to inflectra due to being cheaper for THEM for my Crohn's. I did not have a say, and insurance won't listen to Dr. recommendations. While on Remicade I only had flare ups 3 days a month during my period, but no other issues or side effects. Yet after only 2 infusions on Inflectra I have multiple daily loose stools regardless of healthy diet, as well as bloody stools at least once a day. In addition to Inflectra not preventing flare ups, inflammation, and symptoms; Inflectra has incurred more issues that I didn't have previously: Kidney pain Rib Pain Joint pain: shoulders, wrists, ankles. Nausea Headaches Severe Fatigue Charlie horse cramping in my hands, where I can't move my thumb; it's completely contracted. I'm in my early 40's with a toddler to try to keep up with, as well as career to maintain, and this isn't fair to me or my family.”

KP · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 29, 2020

Inflectra (infliximab): “I have Fistulizing Crohn's, dx'd 6 yrs ago @ 36yo- 11 surgeries since then: abscesses, fistulae, drains. Years of my life, my career, independence & ability to have biological children lost but Remicade saved my life. I've been in Remission since early 2018-.Trough levels in high 20's. At JUST that time, my insurance made mandatory switch: ALL patients on Remicade to Inflectra. Since that time, trough levels have steadily dropped to where I'm near rejection & TERRIFIED to start developing abscesses & fistulas again- I'd rather die. Seriously. I'm now writing to Medicare Commissioner who's probably some paper pusher w/o any IBD training to SAVE MY LIFE & give back my Remicade. Insanity. My doctor is writing a letter on my behalf but she told me that she has been denied EVERY SINGLE TIME she's requested her patients moved BACK to Remicade. It's criminal that insurance companies pick drug therapy for a disease that literally BURROWS HOLES through my body. I am only 42 & deserve a chance.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2020

Inflectra (infliximab): “I was forced to switch Biologics due to insurance company wanting to save some money. I was finally feeling somewhat normal after being on Remicade for a year. Now I am taking Inflectra and have been feeling awful. In and out of cramping, zero energy, nauseous all the time and a few other issues. I would like to think my health is more important than my insurance company saving a few dollars....”

festulizingchronesremsvmylife · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 25, 2013

Remicade (infliximab): “First couple trips are the worst but after that it becomes a routine and it works wonders I'm not lying it gave me my life back until my insurance couldn't pay now I use Humira no competition. Remicade hands downed so if you are doing bad try it.”

Kenbridge86 · Taken for 10 years or more July 18, 2018

Remicade (infliximab): “I went on this medicine in 2003 because of disease in my ileum. I was diagnosed with Crohn's the year before, and nothing had worked - asacol, prednisone, imuran. Then Remicade was a LIFESAVER! I actually could live my life like a normal person again! I had a hard time scheduling my infusions because I was in college, so my advice would be to get it as close to your due date (7 weeks, 8 weeks, etc) as you can so you can get ahead of the flare. I've noticed that if I get my remicade late, I feel pretty terrible until my next dose. I've never gotten sick or had an allergic reaction from it, and I've been on it for 15 years. It's not working as well as it once did, so I'm hoping I can change to a shot so I don't have to sit through an infusion. If you're considering going on Remicade, I highly recommend it. It helped me live a semi-normal life. However, I did develop psoriasis about 10 years ago. I'd happily take psoriasis if it means I can be on Remicade. Best of luck!”

Joseph from nj · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 28, 2019

Remicade (infliximab): “There should be a class action lawsuit against Remicade. After 9 months' being on it for Crohn's I developed drug induced Lupus. I was in my 30's and felt like I was 90. I couldn't get out of a chair. My hands curled up and I had to get shots in my back and hands. This drug nearly killed me. My Dr kept pushing me to his physician's assistant and wouldn't see me.”

Tess October 25, 2019

Remicade (infliximab): “I was on this for about 3 months and I felt awful almost every time after an infusion I ended up in the hospital. I decided it wasn't for me even though my Dr tried to force it on me. I now have rheumatoid arthritis and a constant cough. I don't advise this drug.”

Penguin Girl April 23, 2020

Remicade (infliximab): “I have Crohn's. Had symptoms when I was 2 years old, but was misdiagnosed for 5 years. I was officially diagnosed at age 7. I tried a lot of medicines as a child, but when I got a blockage located where the small and large intestines meet, it was time for Remicade or surgery. At that time, Remicade was new. My parents made the best choice and chose Remicade. I was 12 when I started and been on it for 11 years. Yes, it's longer than I should be on it, but I was finally given a life. My intestines look like I've never had Crohn's. There were side effects and over the years they increased. Now my body has gotten used to the Remicade, at age 23, and has spread to 3 of the 4 saliva glands in my mouth, blisters in mouth/throat, and facial swelling. Other than these beauty flaws, my gut looks great! Long story short, my antibodies are fighting the Remicade and I must face my fear and try something new.”

Parisa August 1, 2020

Inflectra (infliximab): “I been living with Crohn’s for 20 years. I was in remission with Ramicade for 7 years but after I started having flare ups I switched to Humira which didn’t work for me. I end up with a Ostomy. About couple of months ago I start getting skin rash and blood work showed sign of active Crohns. I asked my doctor to try remicade again but my doctor recommended an alternative, Inflectra. I got the first injection 2 weeks ago. My blood pressure dropped to the point I couldn’t drive home. I was very tired the next day but felt ok after that. Couple of nights ago I had to go to ER. Severe joint pain, sore throat, swallowing face and hand and fever. In the matter of 3 hours I was in so put pain and could’t move. Worse experience ever. For insurance companies it cost way less than remicade but I am not putting my self in risk and getting the second injection”

Don't have one October 9, 2017

Remicade (infliximab): “I was on Remicade for five years and the Crohn's Disease went into remission BUT it did a number on my immune system. I got staph infection and eventually a septic hip. Had to have hip surgery which consisted of a spacer for 6 months as well as medication through a pic line. In hospital for three and a 1/2 months and nearly another 3 months at home before I was in condition to have a hip replacement. I also have kidney disease which is partly due to medications I took while fighting Crohn's disease. Just waiting to die and get these diseases over with. Really consider the side effects of Remicade - septic hip was not mentioned.”

Bun · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2018

Remicade (infliximab): “Got this med two times, first time I used it I got just a little cough, but couple of days later I couldn't walk at all, and the pain was really bad. Went to hospital, nothing found. The pain eased, so tried another time and my airways closed up. After a couple of years after this my hips still hurts , can't get up from bed or chair every time by myself. This shouldn't be used.”

colty34 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 13, 2016

Remicade (infliximab): “I have perianal problem whit my crohn's...Remicade help me lot I have less diarhea...But...I'm very tired all the time...I have sinus infections every 6 weeks...Eye infections..and urine infection. I don't know if I want to continue...My crohn's is better but I'm sick all the time ”

Danamy?? April 2, 2016

Remicade (infliximab): “After a year or more on totally ineffective Humira I was put on Remicade. It has been effective for the most part. I am on the max dosage at every 4 weeks. At about 4 to 5 days before my infusion I develop my typical crohns symtoms which mostly involves pain. I had one blood test which indicated I was metabolizing the medication more quickly than normal. I if this problem persists I will be tested again to see if I have developed antibodies to the drug. Besides Humira being a total bust I react with high fever and chills to 6 MP. Prior to the Humira I had a resection of a foot of my illeum. I don't have any side effects to the Remicade just the issue I mentioned.”

Bob E M October 17, 2017

Remicade (infliximab): “I was on remicade for about 4 plus years maybe 5. This medicine does a number on your immune system. When I started taking the medicine there were no warnings like there is now. But basically felt great. I live in Midwest played hockey get with this stuff. The problem was I travelled West to Nevada and got Valley Fever. Well had surgery about 4 months after being in Nevada and Midwest doctors had to idea. Well come to say I had intestine removed to remove narrowing but was unable to take Valley Fever pills and pills to stop Crohn's from coming. But valley fever would kill me as Crohns would just be pain. So long story short don't go or live in fungical areas and take this unless you don't value your life and that will take you down.”

RachelV86 October 26, 2016

Remicade (infliximab): “When I started Remicade I felt amazing very quickly and even decided that I was able to start living my life again. Unfortunately for me and my new boyfriend all the Remicade was really doing was masking my symptoms my Crohn's was very much still active as I found out on my 25th birthday when I was admitted to the hospital and then sent to a more qualified hospital as I live in a small town. I was in hospital for almost 2 months at this point trying various ways to try and get my Crohn's under control to no avail. I ended up having my second surgery at that point and less than a year later having my third surgery. Remicade just wasn't worth the $4000 per infusion in the end for me.”

Cindylee60 August 3, 2017

Remicade (infliximab): “Who is responsible for the Patient who got very ill after using Remicade for Crohn's ?? I know have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus with fungal infection, which I will have the rest of my life. I had to retire early from work, On Disability. My quality of life is not so good...I have tried but Jannsen Pharma Company who produces Remicade was like, so sorry...That was it. Not even helping me with medical care for rest of my life. Rotten, really is rotten. So back to, Who is responsible???”

izzypoops February 7, 2017

Remicade (infliximab): “I was on remicade for nearly 5 years. it was working great for me up until last October when I started developing sinus infections. I am in remission but yet I still can't work - my life isn't normal anymore time to switch it up”

DaiBen · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2016

“I've had CD for 15 years, with the most part of that being uneventful. However, the last three years have been rough, with the last six months even worse. Having tried and not got on with Azathiaporine and Mercaptopurine I was forced down the road of anti-TNF treatment by infusion. Of course in the UK, unless you have private healthcare, the NHS will always try the cheaper options first, but the side effects were too severe for me to continue. Within 2 days of having the Infliximab my symptoms improved, now, as I'm just about to have my third infusion, my symptoms have improved to the point that I've almost forgotten about my Crohns. I genuinely thought this was a make or break medicine and I'm so happy with the result.”

Britkev · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 9, 2016

“After an infrequent 5yearly flareup of crohn's I was given infliximab intraven. for several weeks. Apparently unconnected I experienced increasing short breath which got worse and was put down to possible heart probs. Investigations were extrememely slow and I just got worse. Following almost collapse it the street I was taken to hosp and my blood oxygen levels were at 75 which is I believe extremely low and my heart was on point of collapse. Following days of being on oxygen and then a lung 'washout' under general anaesthetic and more oxygen in the intensive care dept I made a rapid recovery. Apparently I was lucky?? I was eventually told I had suffered 'acute lung damage' ie the cells that absorb oxygen. most likely from the infliximab.”

Smith · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 1, 2021

“I was initially skeptical of Remicade infusions, but the other Biologics had stopped working for me. Developed antibodies to Humira, Enbrel, etc. It’s not helping the AS or Crohns much any more and never showed the efficacy of the others. Too many random side effects. Neuralgia, pvc’s, headaches, general ickiness. It works, but not well. At least for me.”

Cronie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2021

Inflectra (infliximab): “Stuff is not as good as remicade for me”

Christiem · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 5, 2014

Remicade (infliximab): “Severe scalp psoriasis developed, no flare ups though.”

Kavkeet Kaur randhawa September 25, 2016

Remicade (infliximab): “Worst drug!! Save yourself by not trying this poison. Had serious lung injury.”

Learn more about Crohn's Disease