What is the difference between Renflexis and Remicade?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on April 5, 2021.
According to the FDA, a biosimilar is shown to have no clinically meaningful differences in terms of safety and effectiveness from the reference product -- in this case Remicade. Only minor differences in clinically inactive components are allowable in biosimilar products.
Learn more: What Are Biosimilars? Top Facts You May Not Know
Renflexis is given as an intravenous (IV) infusion similar to Remicade, and is used for the same conditions, specifically treatment of:
- Crohn's disease
- ulcerative colitis
- rheumatoid arthritis
- ankylosing spondylitis
- psoriatic arthritis
- plaque psoriasis.
The first biosimilar to Remicade, Pfizer’s Inflectra (infliximab-dyyb) was approved by the FDA in April, 2016.
For more information, see Comparing Remicade vs Renflexis.
Which is more affordable, Renflexis or Remicade?
- The cost for one Renflexis intravenous powder for injection is around $796 per 100 mg vial.
- The cost for one Remicade intravenous powder for injection is around $1,229 per 100 mg vial.
- More than one vial may be needed for a full dose. Prices can vary based on insurance, pharmacies and locations.
Dosing is based on your weight and clinical condition. See more information here:
This is not all the information you need to know about Remicade or Renflexis for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full product information, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Renflexis (infliximab-abda). Product information. Accessed April 5, 2021 at https://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/r/renflexis/renflexis_pi.pdf
- Remicade (infliximab). Product information. Accessed April 5, 2021 at https://www.janssenlabels.com/package-insert/product-monograph/prescribing-information/REMICADE-pi.pdf
- Price Guide. Drugs.com. Accessed April 5, 2021 at https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/
Related Medical Questions
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of plaque psoriasis?
- How many biosimilars have been approved in the United States?
- What is the difference between Inflectra and Remicade?
- What is the difference between Ixifi and Remicade?
Related Support Groups
- Remicade (21 questions, 178 members)
- Infliximab (7 questions, 16 members)
- Renflexis (4 questions, 3 members)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (233 questions, 1226 members)
- Psoriatic Arthritis (27 questions, 245 members)
- Plaque Psoriasis (28 questions, 67 members)
- Crohn's Disease (26 questions, 269 members)
- Ankylosing Spondylitis (18 questions, 197 members)