What is the difference between Inflectra and Remicade?
- Inflectra (infliximab-dyyb) is a biosimilar to Janssen’s Remicade (infliximab). Inflectra and Remicade belong to the class of drugs called tumor necrosis factor (TNF) alpha inhibitors.
- Inflectra can be prescribed for the same uses as Remicade, including rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s disease, ankylosing spondylitis, ulcerative colitis, psoriatic arthritis, and plaque psoriasis. It is often used when other medicines have not been effective.
- Both Inflectra and Remicade come as an intravenous (IV) powder for injection.
A biosimilar must have no clinically meaningful safety or effectiveness differences from the reference product, but it is not considered identical like a generic product.
Inflectra, approved in 2016, is manufactured by Celltrion-Pfizer, while Remicade, the reference product, was first approved in 1998 and is made by Janssen. Inflectra was the first biosimilar to Remicade.
How does infliximab work?
Infliximab blocks the protein called tumor necrosis factor-alfa (TNF alpha). People with certain inflammatory diseases, like psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis, have too much TNF-alpha. This can cause the immune system to attack healthy tissues of the body. Infliximab can help block the damage caused in your body by too much TNF-alpha.
Other infliximab biosimilar brands include:
- Avsola (infliximab-axxq) from Amgen, approved Dec. 2019
- Ixifi (infliximab-qbtx) from Pfizer, approved Dec. 2017
- Renflexis (infliximab-abda) from Samsung Bioepis, approved April 2017
How do costs compare between Inflectra and Remicade?
Inflectra, as a biosimilar, is slightly less expensive than Remicade. Inflectra costs about $997 per 100 mg vial while Remicade costs about $1,229 for the same amount.
For additional information, see the overview: Comparing Inflectra vs Remicade
- Inflectra (infliximab-dyyb). Product information. Pfizer Inc. New York, NY. Accessed April 12, 2021 at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2019/125544s009lbl.pdf
- Remicade (infliximab). Product information. Janssen Biotech. Horsham, PA. Accessed April 12, 2021 at https://www.janssenlabels.com/package-insert/product-monograph/prescribing-information/REMICADE-pi.pdf
Related medical questions
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
- What causes Plaque Psoriasis?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of plaque psoriasis?
- How many biosimilars have been approved in the United States?
- What is the difference between Renflexis and Remicade?
- What is the difference between Ixifi and Remicade?