User Reviews for Indomethacin to treat Pain

Also known as: Indocin, Tivorbex, Indocin SR, Indocin IV

Indomethacin has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 19 ratings for the treatment of Pain. 47% of those users who reviewed Indomethacin reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Indomethacin Rating Summary

6.5/10 average rating

Compare all 1431 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Indomethacin

rwinters1796 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 29, 2021

“Indomethacin is the only drug to relieve my 35+ years of chronic pain caused undetermined types of headaches. Multiple tests and scans have not found any causes for the chronic pain/headaches. I have tried anti-seizure drugs and other pain relievers to no avail. I have been taking indomethacin for only a few years now and wish I got it when I was 13.”

hank March 28, 2021

“My knee was hurting so bad I could barely walk around the house and ended up with back spasm from unnatural knee pain gait. I took indocin with a lot of food and water 2 days ago and have neither back spasm nor knee pain. Crazy and I wonder how long this will work. Knee has bothered me for 7 months and never felt better.”

Glo · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2019

“I am a 58 year old woman. My neurologist wanted to determine if the trigeminal pain I had been diagnosed with and suffered with for over six years was instead a type of trigeminal headache. He put me on indomethacin 50 mg 3x’s per day. By the first dose of indomethacin I was very dizzy and nauseous I had stomach pain and extreme fatigue. I took my afternoon second dose I had all of the above symptoms but began vomiting I could no longer sit in the recliner but listed to the side with a pillow to halfway and half sit. I had difficulty concentrating and faded in and out between dozing and wakefulness. By the third dose I was having dry heaves and the above symptoms worse. I felt like what it must be like to be slipped a Mickey in an alcoholic drink, even though I don’t drink I could imagine thats what it would be like. I stumbled to my bed where I passed out. I do not plan on ever taking another dose of this medication.”

Mz.Doodle May 4, 2011

Indocin (indomethacin): “I would like to say that I went to the E.R and they couldn't find out why I was having the chest pains also PE (pulmonary embolism) had been ruled out. Every time I took a breath it was so painful they were giving me morphine every hour the pain would not subside, so I went to my primary care physician and he diagnosed me with pleurisy which is a inflammation of the lining of your lungs so he prescribed Indocin for me and after one day I started getting serious relief.”

DianaCatherine June 27, 2016

Indocin SR (indomethacin): “For me the medication worked fine as far as reducing the inflammation. My inflammation was in one of my eyes and it did relieve the inflammation but the side effects, wow. I have been drowsy off and on and had terrible stomach pains. For me I added this to my do not take list but for someone who is not taking it everyday probably would not have as much stomach upset. I took it every day for almost two weeks. Too long for something that is hard on someone's stomach.”

Ryan_J January 18, 2016

“I experience Exertion Headache Syndrome, also known as weight lifter's headache. During heavy lifts I often get a massive, instant, and very painful headache. This med was prescribed to me to be taken on one of two ways: preventative or reactionary. When taken reactionary (after a headache) it works well. Indeed better than anything I've used, other than narcotics of course. When taken before lifting weights as a preventative measure it works great, as I never get a headache. The problem is that sometimes I get so dizzy that I can hardly function. I hope this helps someone that wants to know about this drug, which I have a love/hate relationship with.”

Heel pain · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2017

Tivorbex (indomethacin): “I only took 2 the first day prescribed. I noticed my heart feeling weird during the day, had trouble falling asleep, and when I woke up the next morning, my face and neck were really red and irritated. I looked and felt like I had a bad sunburn. I did not take any after that.”

Anonymous June 21, 2011

“50 yo and 1st time taking indomethacin for a bone infection, works great, strong fast acting, sometimes it leaves me with a buzzed sleepy feeling which I enjoyed. The whole body ACHE /PAIN is gone. My wife took one and she said her knee pain was gone.”

DavedLee · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2016

Indocin SR (indomethacin): “Before being diagnosed with Crohn's, I was having terrible aches in my lower back and legs. This product worked fine but I was never told of the side effects and developed bleeding stomach ulcers. Don't be on these too long. Get your doctor to find out the source of your problem.”

Gennysmom September 5, 2010

Indocin (indomethacin): “I can not longer use Imitrex or related drugs for migraine pain due to heart issues. In searching for an alternative migraine treatment, my doctor prescribed Indocin. Alone Indocin can't relieve migraine pain, but combined with Midrin, I get relief. I'm in the midst of weekly migraines. They had been reduced with Midrin, but still lasted days. Now, combining the two, I can break the migraine cycle.”

dicot9 July 22, 2013

“When I run out of sumatriptan, 50 mg of indomethacin, a caffeine tab, ice pack and a rest gives almost complete relief in a couple hours. Much less expensive than sumatriptan. $7 co-pay for 120 which treats 60 headaches vs $7 copay for 9 sumatriptan which treats 9 headaches. Sumatriptan is faster but doesn't give the added relief to my arthritis. Can't take indomethacin if you haven't eaten or can't eat.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 16, 2013

“I take 50 milligrams of indomethacin with a caffeine tab at first sign of migraine and call it quits until relief kicks in in about 1 1/2 hours. Slower than Imitrex but much cheaper and not limited by insurance. My headaches have signs of autonomic nervous system dysfunction, common to indomethacin sensitive headaches so my neuro suggested a trial dose taken daily along with Topamax for a preventative. When I took indomethacin daily I got mentally weird and even paranoid and anxious which was totally not me so I quit daily use and only take it with individual headaches.”

TAStx December 25, 2015

“I was given this for pleurisy and got relief from the pain every time I took a breath after about 12 hours. Saved my holiday celebration! I also noticed an almost immediate relief of some severe sciatica pain I had been experiencing for over a week now. The side-effect list is scary but I'll continue the treatment until the pills are gone. I'm liking it just fine for now.”

diane_2 February 22, 2014

“I have severe tongue pain after a nerve was damaged after my wisdom teeth were removed. The medication worked well on the pain but the dizziness is too much. I can't function normally like this. Have to stop taking it and go back to severe pain.”

SoMD · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2017

Indocin (indomethacin): “Excrutiating pain in elbow Elbow (inflamation, pain, swelling, heat )with no injury. Pronounced swelling from hand to shoulder, elbow area extremely hot to touch. Diagnosis - tendonitis. Cortisone shot given, RICE advised, Indocin 50mg prescribed. Full course taken with no resolve. Had better results with ibuprofen 600mg but am still off work and in agony 20 days later.”

Anonymous July 26, 2008

Indocin (indomethacin): “If your stomach can tolerate this it is great for arthritis. I have taken for over 20 years. Everytime I try anything else I end up in pain.”

Anonymous October 14, 2008

“Older drug, but the cadillac of anti-inflammatory drugs.”

Anonymous January 14, 2011

Indocin (indomethacin): “It did help for pain, but I had to discontinue use due to many side effects.”

krouse67 · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2019

“I was prescribed this for gout pain. From the first day taking it I had severe fatigue and flu like symptoms. It did help with pain, but for me not worth the trade off.”

don m December 21, 2009

Indocin IV (indomethacin): “I.H.S. gave this to me and it does not work. I was taking 800mg ibuprofen but it started to hurt my kidneys.”