User Reviews for Indomethacin

Also known as: Indocin, Indocin IV, Indocin SR, Tivorbex

Learn more about Indomethacin.

Frozen Shoulder 1 reviews 56 medications

Pain 13 reviews 1090 medications

Sciatica 1 reviews 280 medications

Summary of Indomethacin reviews 122 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Indomethacin

For Gout, Acute: "Two days ago, I got really painful gout attack into my left toe and upper part of my foot and my heal on the right foot was hurting. My left foot hurt so bad, it was driving me insane. I tried black cherries, celery, drank tons of organic apple cider vinegar with mother last time but nothing helped so I did go see a doctor and they prescribed indomethacin 50mg three times per day and methylprednisolone tablets (start with 6 first day, 5 next day down to 1). I decided to do what somebody else here suggested and it worked like a miracle. I took 2 Indomethacin tablets in the morning and 2 methylprednisolone and something amazing happened. The pain was almost gone and swelling subsided. Around 3pm I took the same dose and I was able to walk."

Smolen64 August 30, 2016

For Osteoarthritis: "QUALITY OF LIFE HAS IMPROVED 100%. I have not experienced any side effects. There is a significant difference when I don't take them. I was told to take three 25mg pills a day but I've been fine taking 2x a day. Sometimes only one a day. I need total shoulder replacements and the pain without these pills is extreme."

CHARLIN August 27, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "This drug is a LIFECHANGER! I see that others have had some bad experiences, but for me...it takes me from excruciating...nearly unbearable pain, to near-total relief within hours. Yes, there's something very edgy about it...and if not taken carefully, with food...it can scramble your head for a while. But for extreme gout attacks in my toes...and some kind of terribly nasty shoulder inflammation and searing pain...it has been, by far, the most effective medicine I have EVER taken. And, I have some experience with painkillers. I take Heavy duty narcotics for ruptured discs in my back that barely take the edge off that pain...and do nothing for gout attacks. Indocin has taken me from not being able to walk...to running, in an afternoon"

TexasPat August 25, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "This medicine is a double edged sword. On my first attack I used it for a week, 50mg 3xdaily, with no results. After missing work, and getting absolutely fed up with the pain, I did something that I normally would never do, I changed the way I took this medicine. I started taking 2 50MG pills in the morning, then 2, 5-6 hours later, then, if needed, 2 at midnight. The first dose really helped, the second almost got rid of the attack entirely. I had to take 2 in the middle of the night on the first day, but by the next day my pain was almost gone and I could walk. Now, I did get rapid heart beat the first time I did this, so do at your own risk, but from what I have read 100mg is the max single dose, sometimes used for Rheumatoid Arthritis."

Jax77 August 20, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "I an 61 years old, and never had an attack of gout until this past week. After 2 days, the pain was so bad I went to Dr and prescribed indomethacin. I take 3 50mg a day with food and pain has somewhat subsided. I still limp and can not put on my shoes. At least I can sleep. No bad side effects. I think I waited too long before taking this medication. I hope I never need it again but happy I now know about it."

T'BIRDS August 15, 2016

Indocin SR (indomethacin) for Pain: "For me the medication worked fine as far as reducing the inflammation. My inflammation was in one of my eyes and it did relieve the inflammation but the side effects, wow. I have been drowsy off and on and had terrible stomach pains. For me I added this to my do not take list but for someone who is not taking it everyday probably would not have as much stomach upset. I took it every day for almost two weeks. Too long for something that is hard on someone's stomach."

DianaCatherine June 27, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "May 2016, white male 51 yrs old, first gout attack. I was lifting heavy about 2 weeks ago and I over did red meat, chicken, salmon, two protein shakes per day at 30 grams each, aspirin almost daily and a 5 hour energy drink, junk food in there for good measure. Drink instant coffee excessively daily Did not like to drink water so likely became hydrated as well. I feel I brought this on with my eating habits but blood test came back 6.5 uric acid which was within normal range. I in total pain and missed 2 weeks of work. Doctor put me on Indomethacin after weeks of Advil, water, cherries, cherry juice, no red meat or alcohol, etc with no relief. Felt relief first hour. Did get a little dizzy but pain is almost gone after 1st pill."

Too Much Protein (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "I'm 40 yr old healthy female that mysteriously had my first gout attack this week. I thought my toes were broken. I got into the doc right away and he rx'd indomethacin. Well I'm 4 days after the attack and getting around pretty good and started managing it with just aleve by the 3Rd day but I quit the indomethacin because the side effects were terrible. Bad headaches, really tired, dizzy. I thought it was the vicodin given to me for the pain but my side effects worsened even after I quit vicodin. Everyone is different and I would have taken anything on day 1 to try and help the pain but I quit taking this drug as soon as my foot cleared up. The drug is unbearable. Hopefully no new attacks for me and this is a freak thing."

Goutgirl2 May 22, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "I am going on week 6 of an attack. The colchicine, cherry juice, Diet, eating 25-30 cherries a day, drank so much water I am developing gills and swimming with the fishes and steroids and nothing has worked. The pain has been gone for 4 weeks now but not the inflammation. I am back on the steroids again but in place of colchicine I am on Indomethacin. I hate to use the word depressing and gout in the same sentence but it does get of get me down I can't wear my boots and do what I want to do. I hope this works........"

Bob Ramsey May 16, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "I tried tart cherries and cherry juice which helped some till I could see my doctor who prescribed 75 mg of Indomethacin ER, to take twice a day. That helped with the pain and not being able to sleep at night from the pain. My doctor gave me a refill on the script."

LoriB28 May 3, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "The Generic drug is not working so well this time. I took INDOCIN 4 years ago and the gout went away in less than 4 days. I've learned that not wearing properly fitted shoes with arch and foot support can cause bunions leading to gout. Yes, Uric Acid is the root to gout but not wearing proper shoes can make gout worse and flair up. Drink tons of water as this reduced the swelling by 80% alone in 2 days W/O MEDS! I'm on the fence b/c I wake up and it's gone down a lot. 5 hours or so later, it's swelling up again despite eating little sugar, drinking lots or water, and not putting too much pressure on the foot. Maybe the GENERIC or this version is NOT AS EFFECTIVE AS THE MAIN BRAND - INDOCIN. Does any one care to share their thoughts?"

THIS MED IS ON THE FENCE? April 29, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "I've had gout attacks for the last 10 years (I'm 63) , my father & grandfather had it - Attacks can last a few days to a couple of weeks & generally get worse over that period. Seem to be diet related - overdose of shrimp, scallops, tuna, oily fish, asparagus within a short period Indomethacin certainly gets rid of the gout quickly but the side effects are pretty awful & I stopped using it incls sleepiness & confusion bordering on zombiedom, depression, paranoid thoughts, affects vision, dry mouth etc. There must be better medication!"

Teddy 2 April 21, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "I've had gout flare attacks since I was 27, I am 39 now. The latest one started a week ago and I took Tylenol and ibuprofen alternately, the pain seemed to subside but suddenly got really bad a couple of days ago. I went to the ER and they gave me some steroids and a prescription for indomethacin and hydrocodone. The good news is that I'm able to sleep but the bad news is that the swelling remains the same, so don't know how long it's going to take to get better. I cut my sugar intake because that's said to be number one. Fingers crossed. Is it the hydrocodone or the indomethacin helping me sleep, I don't know. I have one more hydrocodone left, will see after that :)"

Raj39 April 16, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "I just had the worst gout attack I can remember. It started as ever in my toe and as my Diclofenac was long out of date I ordered more. After waiting the stipulated 48 hours my gout had flared on the opposite side of my foot as well. Walking, standing and sleeping were all distant memories. It was then I found out they don't give out Diclofenac any more and I tried Indometacin. I was on my feet the same night but I noticed the redness in my foot had changed from an even colour to more of a mottled rash. That was yesterday. Today my foot is puffy and inflated. Does that happen?"

HeehawBaws (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "I am just near the end of a seven day attack and just found out about indomethacin ( must have been living under a rock) I have used prednisolone, colchine and others Most interested to try this , found the forum very useful"

Dave at home March 28, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "Taking for to days no relief, VA said I can't get COLCHICINE. And my ankle is worse then when I started"

Anonymous March 10, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "I have had gout on and off for over 10 years. I am 54 years old, whenever I feel an attack coming on, I try and take my indomethacin. The last few attacks it has been taking longer and longer to recover. I thought I had just built up a tolerance and it was not as effective. Last night it was the worst ever. My right foot and ankle was huge and HOT to the touch. It was so bad it woke me from sleeping. My wife woke up and suggested we go to the emergency. I decided to do an Internet search and see if other people who had gout had also built up a tolerance. I found this site, and I read that EXPIRED medicine was no good. Mine had expired 2 months ago. I had a new refilled prescription and took a new pill and within a few hours felt relief."

SamChieftan (taken for 10 years or more) March 4, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "I've had gout for many, many years. I cut sugar completely out of my diet, and my gout has been mostly a thing of the past. The one thing I always forget is that my 1x per year gout attack that I didn't take the Indomethacin in time. Take it as SOON as you start to feel the pain. Most importantly, my medication seems to only last 6 months. Last night, I felt it coming on. I took my Indomethacin, and nothing. No relief. Took three more today, no relief. The prescription was from 01/29/2015. Today is 02/18/2016. So, in just over one year, my meds went bad. I just picked up a prescription 4 hours ago. Took one pill, and the gout is gone in 4 hrs . So, pay attention to the shelf life. I believe that it's short for this med."

Founding Gout Club Member (taken for 10 years or more) February 19, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "I unfortunately been having Gout attacks every other week for the past 4 years, I'm on a daily dose of Allopurinol 25mg but when I can feel a Gout attack coming on I pop a Indomethacin 50mg and usually I take 2 pills every 2 hours than it's gone. 2 weeks later same routine. I thank my Doctor every month I see her for her script. "

Big Bad T January 30, 2016

For Pain: "I experience Exertion Headache Syndrome, also known as weight lifter's headache. During heavy lifts I often get a massive, instant, and very painful headache. This med was prescribed to me to be taken on one of two ways: preventative or reactionary. When taken reactionary (after a headache) it works well. Indeed better than anything I've used, other than narcotics of course. When taken before lifting weights as a preventative measure it works great, as I never get a headache. The problem is that sometimes I get so dizzy that I can hardly function. I hope this helps someone that wants to know about this drug, which I have a love/hate relationship with."

Ryan_J January 18, 2016

For Gout, Acute: "41yo male, mild gout for about ten years - I'm lucky! However, have had 4 acute attacks that make wearing shoes and walking very difficult and sleep almost impossible. This drug is incredible - in 10 hours today I've gone from 7/10 pain (where 10/10 was a dislocated and fractured shoulder that wasn't reset for four hours) to 1/10, and it will be mostly gone by the morning. I find that ibuprofen and colchicine barely dent the pain, and 20mg codeine might give me 4 hours of fractured sleep. The only reason that I let this bout last so long (four days) was that I was using the last of my previous script before I went to the doctor, but I found out it was 6 months over expiry, and had lost most of its effect."

Throbbing toe (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2016

For Pain: "I was given this for pleurisy and got relief from the pain every time I took a breath after about 12 hours. Saved my holiday celebration! I also noticed an almost immediate relief of some severe sciatica pain I had been experiencing for over a week now. The side-effect list is scary but I'll continue the treatment until the pills are gone. I'm liking it just fine for now."

TAStx December 25, 2015

Indocin (indomethacin) for Back Pain: "I have chronic pain from back surgery. Added this med and pain is finally under control. Thank you so much."

K.D. (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2015

For Gout, Acute: "I'm 28 years of age, in great shape but unfortunately I inherited gout from my dad! He suffered with gout since the age of about 25...I woke up one day & felt the worse pain of my life! I had a throb & ache in my big toe. I'm a mom who birthed a child naturally and let me tell u.. Gout is 10"

Borabora101 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 15, 2015

For Gout, Acute: "I'm a 47 year old male that is in very decent shape. i have had gout for about 20 years and most of the attacks usually last about a week. Recently, my gout attack has lasted about 4 weeks. I have been taking cochicine for years, but lately that has not relieved the inflammation or pain. Last week I went to my primary care physican and he gave me indomethacin. It has drastically reduced the swelling and pain. I still have a little pain after a week, but have a slight limp. I am not taking allopurinal. I'm hoping this helps. The attacks are extruciatingly painful where you don't want anything touching your foot. Hopping to go take a pee is a pain. i notice if i get in the shower it seems to help, but putting on shoes can be torture."

Hurtin' Toe (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015