User Reviews for Indomethacin

Also known as: Indocin, Indocin IV, Indocin SR, Tivorbex

Learn more about Indomethacin.

Frozen Shoulder 1 reviews 56 medications

6.3
Sciatica 1 reviews 282 medications

Summary of Indomethacin reviews 138 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Indomethacin

For Gout, Acute: "I had a gout attack, first time about 4 months ago. Just had another yesterday. My right foot big toe, and the ball of my foot. The pain was so severe I couldn't barely walk. Excruciating horrible pain. After taking the first pill I had relief hours later, the pain subsided so drastically and fast I couldn't believe it. The pain in my foot was identical in both gout attacks. Good thing I didn't throw the medicine away. I just took my third dose and am almost back to normal. This medicine worked great for me. With similar, FAST results both time."

G. B. (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "first attack was 6 months ago. horrible pain, naturally on the weekend. On the 3rd day got 75 mg pills - felt 99% better next day !!! Twice since then gout started up but I started taking it again and it was CURED in under 12 hours!!!!"

I am 60, male uverweight. June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ankylosing Spondylitis: "Was prescribed two 75mg SR (morning and evening) and felt very drowsy and tired every morning. Switched to 1x per day (evening) and get almost the same benefit and feel fine. Other NSAID drugs did not reduce AS inflammation for me. In combination with Enbrel the indomethacin has controlled my AS for 12 years now. Minimal pain and I can run and exercise."

heemskn (taken for 10 years or more) May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "I've had it off and on since 22yrs old. I'm 57 now and its harder to get rid of now. Indocin does help me and I take it minimally. It actually lifts my mood as well as reducing the inflammation but can cause a buzzed type feeling. I can tell all gout suffers to steer clear of High Fructose Corn Syrup as much as possible! Avoid any soda pop as well."

Fredwithgout (taken for 10 years or more) May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "4 days and no change"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "I have hemicrania continua since 1999. First attempt of indo made me ten foot tall. Second attempt when I had stopped working worked fine. Indo completely got rid of the pain after a few days of taking it. Trouble is two years later I forgot to take it one day and the pain is back with a vengeance. Neurologist reckoned it should start working again after 6 weeks but it hasn't. Now taking carbamazepine for trigemenial neuralgia."

Dawnthomson (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "Have had regular flareups over last 10 years or so, starting in left, big toe, then whole of left ankle and now left knee. At each flareup, Indomethcin has mostly worked effectively containing the pain, even capsules that are 5 years old. The only side-effect is drowsiness just after taking it, but the upside of that is that I'm certain of relief, because on the rare chance that there was no relief, there was also no drowsiness."

Ausves (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "Wicked Apple was my poison( a fine ale!), after that in about 12 hours I began to hurt, and in 18 hours there was no relief in the pain. I took my Colcrys (0.6) as prescribed, starting at 11pm, 12, and again at 2 am (about 15 hours after I had my one and only Wicked Apple) 20 hours later, it is all I can do to walk into the Dr's office still in terrible pain. The Dr gave me an injection of METHYLPRENISOLONE ACETATE (40mg) and prescribed Indomethacin. By 22 hours I was feeling better, by 24 I was walking again, 26 hours I could stand in the shower. It could have been the combination of the three drugs I have in my system, but 36 hours later, there is no pain and I only had one pill! I still have swelling, but no pain! Thank You!!"

Chucklgit January 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "So far so good. After try many otc medications and prescription drugs this seems to be a good therapy for me. Hope this helps."

Nunez1965 January 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "No relief at all."

Janice S (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "Third day and it doesn't even touch the pain at night. Never had gout ever before, broke tibia and ankle, had surgery with 3 plates and 18 screws in my leg Nov 18. Got my splint put on three weeks ago and the soft cotton padding couldn't touch my touch or it burned terribly. Ortho didn't catch it and three weeks later fed up with poppin meds and getting worse, I saw my regular dr. He instantly said, gout. Took blood test, proscribed me this stuff at 50mg three times a day. After the first two the first day, the following day it slowed nicely and I was able to go out for a few hours. I am in a wheel chair at this point with the legs still messed up. Got home and the pain was insane! That was yesterday. Today is tough, what do I do"

Jslaughter1974 December 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "Indomethacin: Worked well, but sat on the toilet a lot. Colchicine: Worked well, and also sat on the toilet a lot. Colcrys: Worked the best with zero side effects."

jackb9 (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Indocin SR (indomethacin) for Pain: "Before being diagnosed with Crohn's, I was having terrible aches in my lower back and legs. This product worked fine but I was never told of the side effects and developed bleeding stomach ulcers. Don't be on these too long. Get your doctor to find out the source of your problem."

DavedLee (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "My gout experience spans 3 decades. Colchicine was most effective in my early years of attacks but eventually lost effectiveness for me. Allopurinal did not help. Concerned with implications of side effects of pharmaceuticals, I modified diet and utilized supportive supplements that proved effective except when I strayed from diet and imbibed in alcohol intake. This week, after sick weeks of diet, crutch support and bed-rest with on and off improvement and then again relapse, I sought allopathic consultation. Prescribed 50mg Indomethacin twice daily and experienced dramatic reduction in symptoms of pain and swelling by second dose and near complete remission after 3rd dose. Experiencing an alarming increase in BP, I discontinued."

HipFu (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Indocin (indomethacin) for Bursitis: "Got some notable relief from bursitis pain in the shoulder but side effects became unbearable an hour after each dose. Lightheadedness upon standing, fatigue, abdominal nausea and cramping. Dr. changed to Prednisone 20mg with immediate results and no side effects."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "Didn't touch the gout pain "

NurseNets October 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "Two days ago, I got really painful gout attack into my left toe and upper part of my foot and my heal on the right foot was hurting. My left foot hurt so bad, it was driving me insane. I tried black cherries, celery, drank tons of organic apple cider vinegar with mother last time but nothing helped so I did go see a doctor and they prescribed indomethacin 50mg three times per day and methylprednisolone tablets (start with 6 first day, 5 next day down to 1). I decided to do what somebody else here suggested and it worked like a miracle. I took 2 Indomethacin tablets in the morning and 2 methylprednisolone and something amazing happened. The pain was almost gone and swelling subsided. Around 3pm I took the same dose and I was able to walk."

Smolen64 August 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Osteoarthritis: "QUALITY OF LIFE HAS IMPROVED 100%. I have not experienced any side effects. There is a significant difference when I don't take them. I was told to take three 25mg pills a day but I've been fine taking 2x a day. Sometimes only one a day. I need total shoulder replacements and the pain without these pills is extreme."

CHARLIN August 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "This drug is a LIFECHANGER! I see that others have had some bad experiences, but for me...it takes me from excruciating...nearly unbearable pain, to near-total relief within hours. Yes, there's something very edgy about it...and if not taken carefully, with food...it can scramble your head for a while. But for extreme gout attacks in my toes...and some kind of terribly nasty shoulder inflammation and searing pain...it has been, by far, the most effective medicine I have EVER taken. And, I have some experience with painkillers. I take Heavy duty narcotics for ruptured discs in my back that barely take the edge off that pain...and do nothing for gout attacks. Indocin has taken me from not being able to walk...to running, in an afternoon"

TexasPat August 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "This medicine is a double edged sword. On my first attack I used it for a week, 50mg 3xdaily, with no results. After missing work, and getting absolutely fed up with the pain, I did something that I normally would never do, I changed the way I took this medicine. I started taking 2 50MG pills in the morning, then 2, 5-6 hours later, then, if needed, 2 at midnight. The first dose really helped, the second almost got rid of the attack entirely. I had to take 2 in the middle of the night on the first day, but by the next day my pain was almost gone and I could walk. Now, I did get rapid heart beat the first time I did this, so do at your own risk, but from what I have read 100mg is the max single dose, sometimes used for Rheumatoid Arthritis."

Jax77 August 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "I an 61 years old, and never had an attack of gout until this past week. After 2 days, the pain was so bad I went to Dr and prescribed indomethacin. I take 3 50mg a day with food and pain has somewhat subsided. I still limp and can not put on my shoes. At least I can sleep. No bad side effects. I think I waited too long before taking this medication. I hope I never need it again but happy I now know about it."

T'BIRDS August 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Indocin SR (indomethacin) for Pain: "For me the medication worked fine as far as reducing the inflammation. My inflammation was in one of my eyes and it did relieve the inflammation but the side effects, wow. I have been drowsy off and on and had terrible stomach pains. For me I added this to my do not take list but for someone who is not taking it everyday probably would not have as much stomach upset. I took it every day for almost two weeks. Too long for something that is hard on someone's stomach."

DianaCatherine June 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "May 2016, white male 51 yrs old, first gout attack. I was lifting heavy about 2 weeks ago and I over did red meat, chicken, salmon, two protein shakes per day at 30 grams each, aspirin almost daily and a 5 hour energy drink, junk food in there for good measure. Drink instant coffee excessively daily Did not like to drink water so likely became hydrated as well. I feel I brought this on with my eating habits but blood test came back 6.5 uric acid which was within normal range. I in total pain and missed 2 weeks of work. Doctor put me on Indomethacin after weeks of Advil, water, cherries, cherry juice, no red meat or alcohol, etc with no relief. Felt relief first hour. Did get a little dizzy but pain is almost gone after 1st pill."

Too Much Protein (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "I'm 40 yr old healthy female that mysteriously had my first gout attack this week. I thought my toes were broken. I got into the doc right away and he rx'd indomethacin. Well I'm 4 days after the attack and getting around pretty good and started managing it with just aleve by the 3Rd day but I quit the indomethacin because the side effects were terrible. Bad headaches, really tired, dizzy. I thought it was the vicodin given to me for the pain but my side effects worsened even after I quit vicodin. Everyone is different and I would have taken anything on day 1 to try and help the pain but I quit taking this drug as soon as my foot cleared up. The drug is unbearable. Hopefully no new attacks for me and this is a freak thing."

Goutgirl2 May 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "I am going on week 6 of an attack. The colchicine, cherry juice, Diet, eating 25-30 cherries a day, drank so much water I am developing gills and swimming with the fishes and steroids and nothing has worked. The pain has been gone for 4 weeks now but not the inflammation. I am back on the steroids again but in place of colchicine I am on Indomethacin. I hate to use the word depressing and gout in the same sentence but it does get of get me down I can't wear my boots and do what I want to do. I hope this works........"

Bob Ramsey May 16, 2016