User Reviews for Indomethacin

Also known as: Indocin, Tivorbex, Indocin SR, Indocin IV

Indomethacin has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 186 ratings on Drugs.com. 69% of those users who reviewed Indomethacin reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Gout, Acute
10.0
Summary of Indomethacin reviews 7.8 186 reviews

Reviews for Indomethacin

hank March 28, 2021

For Pain: “My knee was hurting so bad I could barely walk around the house and ended up with back spasm from unnatural knee pain gait. I took indocin with a lot of food and water 2 days ago and have neither back spasm nor knee pain. Crazy and I wonder how long this will work. Knee has bothered me for 7 months and never felt better.”

Slim · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 26, 2021

For Back Pain: “About twice a year I get a gout issue in my ankle. I have found indomethacin incredibly effective. I have had a very sore lower back going on about 5 weeks now. So bad in the morning I can't wash myself in the shower. Well, I developed a little gout yesterday and took one indomethacin pill. Took a nap. I woke up with 100% elimination of back pain. Wow! Very impressed. Yes, it still works with my minor gout but it is a godsend for lower back pain.”

Pix · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 2, 2020

For Cluster Headaches: “Use indomethacin 25mg to deal with severe tension headaches. Definitely effective in managing the headaches, downside is that I feel very 'spaced out' and as a result anxious.”

zoebe December 19, 2014

For Gout, Acute: “Indomethacin at the dose of 200mg per 12 hours over a period of 5 days works best for me. I have tried all doses lower and they have no affect. Only opiates prescribed immediately will stop the pain in two hours, but doctors do not understand the severe pain gout attacks feel like and are reluctant to give this type of pain killer even though the gout attack is so severe that one cannot do anything but lay in bed with pain. Unless you have had an attack of gout you have no idea what pain really is.”

Farmer/Cop · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 31, 2014

For Gout, Acute: “This stuff works great! I am the toughest guy you'll ever meet, but a gout attack will literally stop me in my tracks! I've had three in the past four years, they cripple! This medicine was prescribed to me the first time. I only take them for two days and everything is fine. Being stubborn and tough I always wait until I can't walk for some reason! I guess I just don't like the thought that I can't make it through without meds! I've had broken bones, concussions, puncture wounds, and cuts to the bone....but gout is the worst pain ever! This medicine usually works within hours, which is great so I can get back to catching criminals and growing crops!”

phil 11 September 25, 2013

For Gout, Acute: “I have had gout for 30 years, done and tried everything, there is nothing to touch indomethacin. It works wonders. Also drink plenty of water and try coconut water, it cleans the kidneys out and uric acid.”

EddieZ2000 December 11, 2014

Indocin (indomethacin) for Gout, Acute: “The best working medicine for my Gout. Pain reduced 95% within the first hour. I've tried steroid packs and other medicines but this works and works fast. No side effects for me but I follow directions and usually have some food in my stomach before taking.”

Founding Gout Club Member · Taken for 10 years or more February 19, 2016

For Gout, Acute: “I've had gout for many, many years. I cut sugar completely out of my diet, and my gout has been mostly a thing of the past. The one thing I always forget is that my 1x per year gout attack that I didn't take the Indomethacin in time. Take it as SOON as you start to feel the pain. Most importantly, my medication seems to only last 6 months. Last night, I felt it coming on. I took my Indomethacin, and nothing. No relief. Took three more today, no relief. The prescription was from 01/29/2015. Today is 02/18/2016. So, in just over one year, my meds went bad. I just picked up a prescription 4 hours ago. Took one pill, and the gout is gone in 4 hrs . So, pay attention to the shelf life. I believe that it's short for this med.”

Jessinfl June 2, 2013

For Gout, Acute: “I woke up at 4 am with such intense pain in my right big toe I couldn't bare to have the bed covers touch it. It was the weekend, so I went to the ER and was diagnosed with gout and prescribed Indocin. Took it when I got home and about an hour later I had this odd feeling wash over me and the pain was instantaneously reduced. It was the strangest sensation I've ever experienced. It was like a switch was flipped and the pain was gone, it was that distinct. Really thankful it worked so well.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2013

For Gout, Acute: “I've dealt with joint pain from early teens into my forties from sports. But the pain in my ankle and big toe would almost bring tears to my eyes. I took 1 x 50 mg capsule and like the one person said 90 mins later ... Someone turned off the switch. And my knees even went from 8 to 3 on a pain scale 1-10. It's hard not to ramble on when you deal with a high level of pain for so many yrs, and you find something that works with such precision. ”

jp in philly · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2013

For Gout, Acute: “I had my second gout attack in 3 years. It was just my ankle and my right leg and like the others here it was excruciating. I was this close to going to the emergency room. I toughed it out, I still don't know why, and went to the doctor the very next morning. She prescribed indomethacin and I only took 1 x 50 milligram pill. Within 90 minutes I could feel the pain easing. Within 2 hours I could walk easily. By that night I was so pain free I was even able to coach my son's baseball game. No side effects. No weird feelings. Best of all, I have 40 of these wonder pills left!”

Hot Foot October 28, 2014

For Gout, Acute: “I read this forum when I got my prescription for 75mg Indomethacin. I took it about 2 hours ago and I have a little bit of gas but a dramatic reduction in pain. I can actually put a sock on without grimacing. Amazing. This is after days of suffering and very little help from OTC meds. I am quite amazed at how well this medicine worked.”

CDLTPX August 29, 2015

For Gout, Acute: “What I do is when I feel an gout attack coming on I will take the indomethacin 2 pills and a third the next day. I use them only in an acute attack and a script last me years. The key is when you get an attack you drink lots of water. I mean so much water that you are getting up to go pee every 5 min what you are doing is flushing the toxin out your system, the acid has to go. What usually triggers an attack? Crayfish or beer pretty much guarantees I can be laid up when I eat that. I have gotten into an exercise routine 30 min a day treadmill I never miss and I always take my vitamins and gout maintenance Allopurinol. An attack can come on in a matter of minutes with very little warning. I will be up the next day if I get the med”

Angle Grinder · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2013

For Gout, Acute: “When Gouts strikes I take 50mg 3 times a day at 4 hour intervals. I try to only take this medication for 2 days because I find the side effects to be a hindrance to my job. The main side effects I get are confusion and the inability to concentrate on tasks which means I'm like a zombie when taking these meds.”

I'm cured of gout · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 3, 2019

For Gout, Acute: “After taking this drug indomethacin for 3 months, the gout kept returning. Each time I took the drug I was dizzy, lethargic and dopy on the drug! I have a physical every year and this medicine took my SGOT (liver) enzyme levels from 23 to over 112<< danger level! It also raised my SGPT enzyme levels from 34 to over 98 in three weeks! NOT GOOD! I now take Dandelion Root 1575 MG per dose Your GOUT WILL DISAPPEAR! I can eat meat or drink beers without issues of the gout coming back!”

abcdez January 28, 2011

For Back Pain: “For back pain, this is the Cadillac. Fast acting, low cost, no side effects for either me or my wife. Most often used for lower back pain, usually of unknown cause. We start to use it after 1 day of pain that doesn't go away. Never need to use it for more than 2 days; often works within several hours. Always taken with a meal. ABSOLUTELY no side effects. Works when even the most expensive prescribed medications don't.”

QBIX · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2013

For Gout, Acute: “Have had Gout and was prescribed with indomethacin. Feelings after taking it, makes you want to go to sleep. Don't fight that feeling. Hit the sack and relax and when you wake up, You'll feel like a million dollar!”

Ausves · Taken for 10 years or more February 16, 2017

For Gout, Acute: “Have had regular flareups over last 10 years or so, starting in left, big toe, then whole of left ankle and now left knee. At each flareup, Indomethcin has mostly worked effectively containing the pain, even capsules that are 5 years old. The only side-effect is drowsiness just after taking it, but the upside of that is that I'm certain of relief, because on the rare chance that there was no relief, there was also no drowsiness.”

Dope Cop July 16, 2015

For Gout, Acute: “I woke up this morning with my ankle as big as my calf!! I took two 75 mg capsules and was at work by 8. Anyone who has never experienced gout has no idea what the true meaning of pain relief really means!!!”

58thSPS · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2014

For Gout, Acute: “I obtained excellent results 90 minutes after my first dose. I had been experiencing acute joint pain in the foot and ankle area at fairly regular intervals for two or three years and my research lead to me to suspect gout. I called my Dr. during the most recent episode and shared my suspicions and I received marked relief in fairly short order. I have been somewhat hesitant to take anything other than my blood pressure meds since pre- and post-op bilateral THR in 2007 and 2009. I had been taking serious pain relievers for an extended period of time and did not and do not wish to resume the taking of heavy-duty pain medication but I am extremely thankful for the relief that has been afforded me. I am sixty.”

Smolen64 August 30, 2016

For Gout, Acute: “Two days ago, I got really painful gout attack into my left toe and upper part of my foot and my heal on the right foot was hurting. My left foot hurt so bad, it was driving me insane. I tried black cherries, celery, drank tons of organic apple cider vinegar with mother last time but nothing helped so I did go see a doctor and they prescribed indomethacin 50mg three times per day and methylprednisolone tablets (start with 6 first day, 5 next day down to 1). I decided to do what somebody else here suggested and it worked like a miracle. I took 2 Indomethacin tablets in the morning and 2 methylprednisolone and something amazing happened. The pain was almost gone and swelling subsided. Around 3pm I took the same dose and I was able to walk.”

Slammin, Sammy · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2015

For Gout, Acute: “was experiencing gout attack for over a month and was prescribed indomethacin 25 milligram capsules when all my other home remedies such as tart cherry juice, apple cider vinegar, baking soda and tumeric had not helped. I took one 25 milligram tablet 2 hours later I could feel the pain subside. Took another capsule and pain decreased more took one more capsule before bed and the next morning gout was gone. Thank God for indomethacin.”

Gotter · Taken for less than 1 month October 20, 2015

For Gout, Acute: “First time ever having gout, 47-year-old male in decent shape, don't eat a lot of red meat and barely touch alcohol. Spent three weeks in increasingly excruciating pain. Made the mistake of having a glass of wine one night, which sent me into two 30-45 min pain cycles that my wife said looked like labor -- biting on towels, praying, asking her to tell me stories, anything to get my mind off the pain. Had been on Colchicine, which did nothing except give me stomach cramps and diarrhea. Couldn't take ibuprofen for fear of shredding my stomach even worse. Finally went to a different doc, who prescribed Indomethacin. Miracle drug. Started working within hours. Three days later, can wear shoes & walk almost without limping. Amazing!”

Too Much Protein · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2016

For Gout, Acute: “May 2016, white male 51 yrs old, first gout attack. I was lifting heavy about 2 weeks ago and I over did red meat, chicken, salmon, two protein shakes per day at 30 grams each, aspirin almost daily and a 5 hour energy drink, junk food in there for good measure. Drink instant coffee excessively daily Did not like to drink water so likely became hydrated as well. I feel I brought this on with my eating habits but blood test came back 6.5 uric acid which was within normal range. I in total pain and missed 2 weeks of work. Doctor put me on Indomethacin after weeks of Advil, water, cherries, cherry juice, no red meat or alcohol, etc with no relief. Felt relief first hour. Did get a little dizzy but pain is almost gone after 1st pill.”

TexasPat August 25, 2016

For Gout, Acute: “This drug is a LIFECHANGER! I see that others have had some bad experiences, but for me...it takes me from excruciating...nearly unbearable pain, to near-total relief within hours. Yes, there's something very edgy about it...and if not taken carefully, with food...it can scramble your head for a while. But for extreme gout attacks in my toes...and some kind of terribly nasty shoulder inflammation and searing pain...it has been, by far, the most effective medicine I have EVER taken. And, I have some experience with painkillers. I take Heavy duty narcotics for ruptured discs in my back that barely take the edge off that pain...and do nothing for gout attacks. Indocin has taken me from not being able to walk...to running, in an afternoon”

SamChieftan · Taken for 10 years or more March 4, 2016

For Gout, Acute: “I have had gout on and off for over 10 years. I am 54 years old, whenever I feel an attack coming on, I try and take my indomethacin. The last few attacks it has been taking longer and longer to recover. I thought I had just built up a tolerance and it was not as effective. Last night it was the worst ever. My right foot and ankle was huge and HOT to the touch. It was so bad it woke me from sleeping. My wife woke up and suggested we go to the emergency. I decided to do an Internet search and see if other people who had gout had also built up a tolerance. I found this site, and I read that EXPIRED medicine was no good. Mine had expired 2 months ago. I had a new refilled prescription and took a new pill and within a few hours felt relief.”

goutreview June 21, 2010

Indocin (indomethacin) for Gout, Acute: “Indocin or indomethacin in my opinion is very effective in relieving gout symptoms. Taking 25mg at my first opportunity (the point where I convince myself that I did nothing to stub my toe and it is a gout attack) quickly reduces the pain. I have not experienced the stomach pains or paranoia that the previous post talks about. I always take this medicine with food and drink as directed by my physician.”

Fredwithgout · Taken for 10 years or more May 3, 2017

For Gout, Acute: “I've had it off and on since 22yrs old. I'm 57 now and its harder to get rid of now. Indocin does help me and I take it minimally. It actually lifts my mood as well as reducing the inflammation but can cause a buzzed type feeling. I can tell all gout suffers to steer clear of High Fructose Corn Syrup as much as possible! Avoid any soda pop as well.”