User Reviews for Vistaril

Pain
5.1

Summary of Vistaril reviews 5.8 170 reviews

Reviews for Vistaril

For Anxiety "I took this at bedtime to help my anxiety. I started sleeping less and less, increased panic attacks, weight loss, and paranoia. I felt like a meth addict after about a month I realized it was the meds and I wasn't going crazy! Don't take this stuff it was seriously terrifying!"

Mj (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2018

For Anxiety "Does great for my extreme anxiety but wears off after 12 hours is the only downfall of the medicine. So for working in nursing has it ups and downs but overall not a bad thing to start off with."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2018

For Anxiety "It just doesn't do anything for me. I've even had panic attacks on this stuff. I took it as prescribed for up to 3 months, it's very weak I do get that but it doesn't even have a placebo effect on me."

Sam (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2018

For Anxiety "It doesn't work at all for me and the doctor doesn't want to get in trouble for with the government for prescribing benzos with pain meds. The government rules everything and doctors are useless. Guess I will just have go to the streets for my meds now."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2018

For Anxiety "I have extreme OCD and in January when I was relapsing because I stopped my meds cold turkey, I was able to not have any panic attacks because of the Vistaril. I took 100 mg and it took me from being extremely anxious to mildly or moderately anxious. It worked for 4 hours. It did make my memory foggy, but I like it because it’s worked better for me than any benzo. I like it and I strongly recommend it to anyone. Now that my anxiety is under better control because of my new meds, I notice a smaller effect from it. It helps me when I eat too much sugar and my anxiety spikes, to prevent anxiety attacks. I love it!"

Ivanisgreat (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2018

For Anxiety "I like vistaril. I'm on a myriad of other drugs. I find it funny when people say it is prescription Benadryl. One Benadryl puts me out. If you re looking for the same effect as a benzo... keep moving. It takes the edge off. I do not take it PRN. I take it daily. You just feel relaxed and care less about your problems. I take 100mg 2 Daily. I hope it helps."

BipolarBarry (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2018

For Anxiety "I have bipolar manic depression, extreme anxiety and extreme OCD of hair pulling (trichtotillmania). My psychiatrist prescribed this and 3 other medicines but this is two 25mg 3 times a day. I’ve been on it for 2 weeks and it makes me shake but I haven’t pulled my hair since being on it and have been calmer since being on it. This has been amazing for me. I can’t praise it enough."

Lindz (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2018

For Anxiety "Vistaril works great for me right before bed, takes care of anxiety and allows me to get to sleep easier. Taken it 4 years now no problems."

Opeth (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2018

For Anxiety "Vistaril is nothing but a glorified antihistamine. It did nothing for my anxiety but made me feel....um....uncomfortably high I guess? I was avoiding having to take this (the bottle was sitting in the cabinet) and decided I needed to try one. Well, it didn't do anything. I feel dizzy, drunk and I feel like I am suffering from insane depersonalization. I want to get this out of my system now."

melanie123 (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

For Anxiety "My doctor prescribed me vistaril to relieve anxiety rather than me just drinking alcohol and self medicating. It seems to take an edge of the anxiety but it doesn't fully alleviate anxiety. Also after taking it for awhile I'm not 100 percent it was the vistaril but I developed what was explained to me to be chronic GERD basically like extreme heart burn all the time 24/7 so now they have me on more medication to treat that."

Provost906 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2018

For Anxiety "Vistaril does absolutely nothing. It doesn't help with anxiety. It only makes you more frustrated that your anxiety is not being treated properly. If your doc prescribes you this, he is not a doctor, he is just wasting your time... unbelievable."

nope1234 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2018

For Anxiety "This didn't do anything for my anxiety, not even make me tired. I feel more anxiety taking them then when I don't use it. Chest tightness, nose running like a river, constant state of anxiety going on."

Thegoatbjk January 21, 2018

For Anxiety "I have had anxiety and a panic disorder for most of my adult life. I was on ativan for 15 years and have been on klonopin for 10. When my doctor retires or I lose health insurance coverage I have been prescribed vistaril by family practice doctors that don't like prescribing benzodiazepines. For me it does stop panic attacks and calms me. Also helps with sleeping. The only downside is it is less effective over time unlike klonopin or ativan which never loses its efficacy. It's a nice med to take short term until I find a long term doctor."

Babs98272 December 31, 2017

For Anxiety "I was prescribed Vistaril to help with anxiety and sleep following opiate withdrawals. It did little, if anything. Original dose was 50 mg, later raised to 100 mg. It did reduce the crazy sneezing I went through. I got far better results for sleep from OTC Benedryl and melatonin."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2017

For Anxiety "All I do is sleep on this medication. Was on Buspar but that was not controlling my anxiety."

Evill (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2017

For Anxiety "Vistaril is an ANTIHISTAMINE. it can make you drowsy if you have not taken it before. This is ALL that it MAY have in common with a real anxiety medication. It DOES NOTHING for anxiety unless you are shaking and trembling due to poison ivy or HIVES!!!!! Whoever got the bright idea to try to convince anyone that suffers from real anxiety to use this med for help is risking their patient's life. I take it for chronic hives, and have done so for 45 years."

Leigh237 (taken for 10 years or more) December 18, 2017

For Anxiety "I have a severe bipolar, extreme manic depressive, high anxiety, suicidal tendencies and ADHD. I had never taken any medications until recently. I didn't believe anything was wrong. I recently admitted myself to a psychiatric hospital that specializes in chemical dependency and mental illness. I was prescribed Vistaril 50mg every 6hrs as needed. I like this medication a lot. It works quick for me and I've not experienced any issues with making me tired at all and I only use it during the day. But I also have Seroquel 150mg Neurontin two 100mg capsules three times a day and Depakote 500mg 1 in the morning and 2 at bedtime. Vistaril has been great for me."

Craziefemale (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

For Anxiety "30 years ago in my first marriage. I was severely abused. I was trying to commit suicide always fighting crying and hallucinating. Mt Dr put me on vistaril, and it changed my life. First it made me not care about what my ex husband was doing. I became more confidant. And was able to get myself out of that situation. Now I have been prescribed them again due to surgery and I am planning on replacing my citaloprom, loratadine and hopefully with God on my side grasp at a better future."

Bubbles55 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 2, 2017

For Anxiety "I battle depression, anxiety & severe insomnia also allergies. Knocked me out cold & my allergies seemed under control anxiety a little better. Problem I couldn't shake being extremely tired the next day. All I could do was sleep which doesn't help with depression."

KL 2 September 30, 2017

For Anxiety "Doesn't do much for my anxiety or promote sleep (I take a dose at bedtime). Vistaril is basically prescription Benadryl."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2017

For Anxiety "I’ve had severe anxiety my whole life but was never put on anything till about 7 months ago. I was also diagnosed with bipolar, so when I’m manic and having a extremely hard time falling asleep this medicine works. But for my anxiety, which it was prescribed for, doesn’t do anything except make me pass out and not want to do anything for days! It also makes me fall asleep at the drop of a dime, for example while driving! This may work for others, but it’s definitely not the pill for me when it comes to anxiety, though for when I need to get some shut eye it works great!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 26, 2017

For Anxiety "Worst medication ever. You can't function after you take it and you feel terrible for days after. It's basically benadryl ( a sedating antihistamine). Does nothing for anxiety expect make you feel weird and uncomfortable then puts you to sleep. Another sorry excuse, poor man's anti anxiety med. Stay away. If your doctor prescribes they are an idiot"

CJ1847499295 September 7, 2017

For Anxiety "Let me start by with the obvious disclaimer, everyone is different, and your milage may very. Also always follow your doctors advice. I am leaving my experience, as I hope it will help others. I suffer from severe anxiety, not the mild kind of anxiety. For the last month I have been having as many as 3-4 panic attacks a day, when I was prescribed this I was very skeptical. I have been prescribed almost every medication, for anxiety including Xanax, Klonopin , and Ativan. When I first started taking this 50mgs of Vistaril, I didn't feel that It was having any effect. In fact it wasn't until, after I had run out and didn't get it refilled that I noticed it had been making a sizable difference. For me it wasn't a cure, but it was a useful tool."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

For Anxiety "Great for unclogging your nose, horrible for anxiety. It made mine bad enough on several occasions that I ended up in the ER. It also gave me dangerously low blood pressure, heart palpitations, hallucinations and an overall terrified feeling. I wouldn't recommend this at all for anxiety."

shatswan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

For Anxiety "Well, what can I say other than vomiting for 8 hours and pooping myself for a day after taking this pill. I need answers"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017