User Reviews for Vistaril

Allergies

Summary of Vistaril reviews 5.8 187 reviews

Reviews for Vistaril

Anonymous July 11, 2019

For Anxiety "This is really not a drug for people with serious, long-term issues with anxiety. But it's also the lowest-risk prescription a Doctor can write, so expect to get this as a first line treatment in lieu of any personalized care. I have taken Vistaril on-and-off for nearly 10 years and while it does help in some specific circumstances, it's just not a particularly effective drug. It basically produces a mild sedative effect that can take some of the edge off of background anxiety. If you take it on a daily basis, expect the benefits to fade somewhat. Increasing the dosage just makes you more drowsy and the side effects worse. If you can identify in advance circumstances that make your anxiety worse, taking a Vistaril before that can help alleviate things a bit. This drug will not stop or even really affect an imminent anxiety or panic attack, and even at it's most effective it won't help with many of the side effects of anxiety (rapid heart beat, trembling, numbness etc)"

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2019

For Anxiety "I have been taking 50mg of Vistaril every 4 hours for about one week. It was prescribed to me for anxiety. It has worked well and allowed me to function without panic attacks and calms me and keeps me out of fight or flight mode. Life has just been easier entirely. I have had some mild to moderate side effects specifically, a few headaches, impaired coordination and occasional dizziness. I personally would take that over the mind crushing anxiety. I would recommend avoiding operating a vehicle until you're comfortable with the medication and keep your water intake up."

Mackenzie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2019

For Anxiety "I have severe anxiety. My first psychiatrist prescribed this to me for anxiety. It did not help but did make me sleep. Now I am going to a new psychiatrist and he is insisting I try it again! So now I am back on it. The only way it helps relieve anxiety is by knocking you out to sleep! Sure I’m not anxious when Im sleeping, but I can’t sleep 24/7!"

RB · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 9, 2019

For Anxiety "Vistaril puts me in a dark place. And weird."

Nikkiblue42 · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2019

For Anxiety "This drug is amazingly sedating. After reading the reviews I was reluctant to take it thinking it would not work. Boy was I wrong. Sadly I am starting antidepressant therapy and my anxiety is through the roof. I was given Ativan but am reluctant to take it often for fear of tolerance and addition. The Vistaril has really worked at calming me down after increased anxiety especially when worrying when trying to fall off to sleep. It shut down the worry and made me slow down which in my case is what I needed. I only took 10mg and caution against driving or other activities until you know how it will affect you."

unicornhearts · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2019

For Sedation "Prescribed 25 mg Vistaril 1 to 2 pills as needed at night for sedation and anxiety. On the first 3 nights it made me sleep very deeply. Woke up several times gritting my teeth. Next day felt drunk and slept way too much. I was irritable and overwhelmed by everything. The 4th night which was last night I didn't sleep as well and woke up way too early. Also the drunk drowsy feeling is gone. I may quit taking it but am going to stick with it another week to see how it helps with anxiety."

Beth · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2019

For Anxiety "I have been taking Vistaril for about 5 days as a replacement for Klonepin. I loved the low dose Klonepin but after several years it now has affected my short term memory. The Vistaril, since it is like an antihistamine, has such drying effects on me that I am always hoarse and have migraines due to dehydration. My anxiety is not severe but it does alter my personality when it's bad. I don't find that this rx helps me at all. I still have my anxiety ticks, chest pain and Shortnes Of Breath (SOB). Did this rx have a dehydrating effect on anyone else? I will try to take this at different times during the day to see if that helps."

JessieLee May 4, 2019

For Anxiety "For me, after taking this medication as needed for 3 days I had no relief for my symptoms. I felt like this med intensified my panic attacks. It is just gloried Benadryl! Meditation, deep breathing exercises and a long warm bath worked better than this garbage!"

Arabj42069 April 14, 2019

For Anxiety "Vistaril turned my vision blurry, had bad headaches and it didn't treat by anxiety symptoms that I took it for"

Diane · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2019

For Allergies "My son, who is 33, was given Vistaril, after going to emergency room, with an autoimmune rash, that was flaring up. He was told to take one to two 25mg capsules every 6 hours, as needed for itching. He began acting very strange. I worked, so I was being told of his behavior by his brother and step dad. I told him to stop taking, then I took the pills away, and flushed them. I counted them, and in the 6 days he had them, he only took 5 pills. This is what vistaril did for him, it caused visual and auditory hallucinations, severe paranoid anxiety, extreme dry mouth, tremors, stuttering, and many other things. He thought everyone was trying to kill him, everyone he looked at had rivers of tears running down their face. It is killing me hearing all of it. He’s been very traumatized. Hopefully, he will be able to feel better soon."

Tigger · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 4, 2019

For Anxiety "I have restlessness, ADHD and a little anxiety. I've taken MANY different meds. I find Vistaril works better than anything else I've ever tried. I highly recommend it!"

B · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2018

For Anxiety "Little effect if under 100mg(for me) and even then I'm just slightly sedated. Semi kinda works. Placebo or not idk. BTW anyone looking for advice on meds for anxiety, avoid any GABA agonist for these are addictive meds known to cause 'rebound anxiety."

Tanncox77 · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2018

For Anxiety "It helps me feel relaxed and calm"

CB · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 2, 2018

For Anxiety "Took away 90 percent of my anxiety the first day of taking it. I have anxiety, ptsd, general anxiety I take 50 mg three times a day. I hated Xanax and klonopin"

Corman616 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 25, 2018

For Anxiety "I have Schizoaffective disorder with very severe paranoia and anxiety, and I can't have benzos so I get Vistaril as an alternative. 25mg 3 times a day. It doesn't completely rid my anxiety, but it definitely does help reduce it, and if I'm having a panic attack it will subside the attack within about 10 minutes or so. The only downside is it makes me pretty drowsy. But overall I love this medication."

Someone that cares August 21, 2018

For Anxiety "I’ve taken vistaril on and off for more than 12 years. I have PTSD, anxiety ,and panic disorder, I’ve tried at least 7 different meds before I was properly diagnosed and treated with the correct medication. Vistaril and celexa are always my go to they have saved my life. Vistaril is great for anxiety and panic. I keep it in my system and it works!!! Good luck "

Tink · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 17, 2018

For Anxiety "I’ve taken this medication on and off I take it whenever I feel overwhelmed and I’m filled with anxiety this medication helps me relax my mind it’s also good when I can’t sleep at night. My doctor had told me to try it and I have a lot of allergies to medication so this medication has helped me with a lot of different uses. Allergies, to anxiety to sedation. So I’m gonna day 10 our of 10 I recommend."

Mj · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2018

For Anxiety "I took this at bedtime to help my anxiety. I started sleeping less and less, increased panic attacks, weight loss, and paranoia. I felt like a meth addict after about a month I realized it was the meds and I wasn't going crazy! Don't take this stuff it was seriously terrifying!"

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2018

For Anxiety "Does great for my extreme anxiety but wears off after 12 hours is the only downfall of the medicine. So for working in nursing has it ups and downs but overall not a bad thing to start off with."

Sam · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2018

For Anxiety "It just doesn't do anything for me. I've even had panic attacks on this stuff. I took it as prescribed for up to 3 months, it's very weak I do get that but it doesn't even have a placebo effect on me."

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 14, 2018

For Anxiety "It doesn't work at all for me and the doctor doesn't want to get in trouble for with the government for prescribing benzos with pain meds. The government rules everything and doctors are useless. Guess I will just have go to the streets for my meds now."

Ivanisgreat · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2018

For Anxiety "I have extreme OCD and in January when I was relapsing because I stopped my meds cold turkey, I was able to not have any panic attacks because of the Vistaril. I took 100 mg and it took me from being extremely anxious to mildly or moderately anxious. It worked for 4 hours. It did make my memory foggy, but I like it because it’s worked better for me than any benzo. I like it and I strongly recommend it to anyone. Now that my anxiety is under better control because of my new meds, I notice a smaller effect from it. It helps me when I eat too much sugar and my anxiety spikes, to prevent anxiety attacks. I love it!"

BipolarBarry · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 26, 2018

For Anxiety "I like vistaril. I'm on a myriad of other drugs. I find it funny when people say it is prescription Benadryl. One Benadryl puts me out. If you re looking for the same effect as a benzo... keep moving. It takes the edge off. I do not take it PRN. I take it daily. You just feel relaxed and care less about your problems. I take 100mg 2 Daily. I hope it helps."

Lindz · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2018

For Anxiety "I have bipolar manic depression, extreme anxiety and extreme OCD of hair pulling (trichtotillmania). My psychiatrist prescribed this and 3 other medicines but this is two 25mg 3 times a day. I’ve been on it for 2 weeks and it makes me shake but I haven’t pulled my hair since being on it and have been calmer since being on it. This has been amazing for me. I can’t praise it enough."

Opeth · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 10, 2018

For Anxiety "Vistaril works great for me right before bed, takes care of anxiety and allows me to get to sleep easier. Taken it 4 years now no problems."