User Reviews for Vistaril

Pain
5.1

Summary of Vistaril reviews 5.9 176 reviews

Reviews for Vistaril

For Anxiety "Little effect if under 100mg(for me) and even then I'm just slightly sedated. Semi kinda works. Placebo or not idk. BTW anyone looking for advice on meds for anxiety, avoid any GABA agonist for these are addictive meds known to cause 'rebound anxiety."

B (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2018

For Anxiety "It helps me feel relaxed and calm"

Tanncox77 (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2018

For Anxiety "Took away 90 percent of my anxiety the first day of taking it. I have anxiety, ptsd, general anxiety I take 50 mg three times a day. I hated Xanax and klonopin"

CB (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2018

For Anxiety "I have Schizoaffective disorder with very severe paranoia and anxiety, and I can't have benzos so I get Vistaril as an alternative. 25mg 3 times a day. It doesn't completely rid my anxiety, but it definitely does help reduce it, and if I'm having a panic attack it will subside the attack within about 10 minutes or so. The only downside is it makes me pretty drowsy. But overall I love this medication."

Corman616 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2018

For Anxiety "I’ve taken vistaril on and off for more than 12 years. I have PTSD, anxiety ,and panic disorder, I’ve tried at least 7 different meds before I was properly diagnosed and treated with the correct medication. Vistaril and celexa are always my go to they have saved my life. Vistaril is great for anxiety and panic. I keep it in my system and it works!!! Good luck "

Someone that cares August 21, 2018

For Anxiety "I’ve taken this medication on and off I take it whenever I feel overwhelmed and I’m filled with anxiety this medication helps me relax my mind it’s also good when I can’t sleep at night. My doctor had told me to try it and I have a lot of allergies to medication so this medication has helped me with a lot of different uses. Allergies, to anxiety to sedation. So I’m gonna day 10 our of 10 I recommend."

Tink (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 17, 2018

For Anxiety "I took this at bedtime to help my anxiety. I started sleeping less and less, increased panic attacks, weight loss, and paranoia. I felt like a meth addict after about a month I realized it was the meds and I wasn't going crazy! Don't take this stuff it was seriously terrifying!"

Mj (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2018

For Anxiety "Does great for my extreme anxiety but wears off after 12 hours is the only downfall of the medicine. So for working in nursing has it ups and downs but overall not a bad thing to start off with."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2018

For Anxiety "It just doesn't do anything for me. I've even had panic attacks on this stuff. I took it as prescribed for up to 3 months, it's very weak I do get that but it doesn't even have a placebo effect on me."

Sam (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2018

For Anxiety "It doesn't work at all for me and the doctor doesn't want to get in trouble for with the government for prescribing benzos with pain meds. The government rules everything and doctors are useless. Guess I will just have go to the streets for my meds now."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2018

For Anxiety "I have extreme OCD and in January when I was relapsing because I stopped my meds cold turkey, I was able to not have any panic attacks because of the Vistaril. I took 100 mg and it took me from being extremely anxious to mildly or moderately anxious. It worked for 4 hours. It did make my memory foggy, but I like it because it’s worked better for me than any benzo. I like it and I strongly recommend it to anyone. Now that my anxiety is under better control because of my new meds, I notice a smaller effect from it. It helps me when I eat too much sugar and my anxiety spikes, to prevent anxiety attacks. I love it!"

Ivanisgreat (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2018

For Anxiety "I like vistaril. I'm on a myriad of other drugs. I find it funny when people say it is prescription Benadryl. One Benadryl puts me out. If you re looking for the same effect as a benzo... keep moving. It takes the edge off. I do not take it PRN. I take it daily. You just feel relaxed and care less about your problems. I take 100mg 2 Daily. I hope it helps."

BipolarBarry (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2018

For Anxiety "I have bipolar manic depression, extreme anxiety and extreme OCD of hair pulling (trichtotillmania). My psychiatrist prescribed this and 3 other medicines but this is two 25mg 3 times a day. I’ve been on it for 2 weeks and it makes me shake but I haven’t pulled my hair since being on it and have been calmer since being on it. This has been amazing for me. I can’t praise it enough."

Lindz (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2018

For Anxiety "Vistaril works great for me right before bed, takes care of anxiety and allows me to get to sleep easier. Taken it 4 years now no problems."

Opeth (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2018

For Anxiety "Vistaril is nothing but a glorified antihistamine. It did nothing for my anxiety but made me feel....um....uncomfortably high I guess? I was avoiding having to take this (the bottle was sitting in the cabinet) and decided I needed to try one. Well, it didn't do anything. I feel dizzy, drunk and I feel like I am suffering from insane depersonalization. I want to get this out of my system now."

melanie123 (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

For Anxiety "My doctor prescribed me vistaril to relieve anxiety rather than me just drinking alcohol and self medicating. It seems to take an edge of the anxiety but it doesn't fully alleviate anxiety. Also after taking it for awhile I'm not 100 percent it was the vistaril but I developed what was explained to me to be chronic GERD basically like extreme heart burn all the time 24/7 so now they have me on more medication to treat that."

Provost906 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2018

For Anxiety "Vistaril does absolutely nothing. It doesn't help with anxiety. It only makes you more frustrated that your anxiety is not being treated properly. If your doc prescribes you this, he is not a doctor, he is just wasting your time... unbelievable."

nope1234 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2018

For Anxiety "This didn't do anything for my anxiety, not even make me tired. I feel more anxiety taking them then when I don't use it. Chest tightness, nose running like a river, constant state of anxiety going on."

Thegoatbjk January 21, 2018

For Anxiety "I have had anxiety and a panic disorder for most of my adult life. I was on ativan for 15 years and have been on klonopin for 10. When my doctor retires or I lose health insurance coverage I have been prescribed vistaril by family practice doctors that don't like prescribing benzodiazepines. For me it does stop panic attacks and calms me. Also helps with sleeping. The only downside is it is less effective over time unlike klonopin or ativan which never loses its efficacy. It's a nice med to take short term until I find a long term doctor."

Babs98272 December 31, 2017

For Anxiety "I was prescribed Vistaril to help with anxiety and sleep following opiate withdrawals. It did little, if anything. Original dose was 50 mg, later raised to 100 mg. It did reduce the crazy sneezing I went through. I got far better results for sleep from OTC Benedryl and melatonin."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2017

For Anxiety "All I do is sleep on this medication. Was on Buspar but that was not controlling my anxiety."

Evill (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2017

For Anxiety "Vistaril is an ANTIHISTAMINE. it can make you drowsy if you have not taken it before. This is ALL that it MAY have in common with a real anxiety medication. It DOES NOTHING for anxiety unless you are shaking and trembling due to poison ivy or HIVES!!!!! Whoever got the bright idea to try to convince anyone that suffers from real anxiety to use this med for help is risking their patient's life. I take it for chronic hives, and have done so for 45 years."

Leigh237 (taken for 10 years or more) December 18, 2017

For Anxiety "I have a severe bipolar, extreme manic depressive, high anxiety, suicidal tendencies and ADHD. I had never taken any medications until recently. I didn't believe anything was wrong. I recently admitted myself to a psychiatric hospital that specializes in chemical dependency and mental illness. I was prescribed Vistaril 50mg every 6hrs as needed. I like this medication a lot. It works quick for me and I've not experienced any issues with making me tired at all and I only use it during the day. But I also have Seroquel 150mg Neurontin two 100mg capsules three times a day and Depakote 500mg 1 in the morning and 2 at bedtime. Vistaril has been great for me."

Craziefemale (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

For Anxiety "30 years ago in my first marriage. I was severely abused. I was trying to commit suicide always fighting crying and hallucinating. Mt Dr put me on vistaril, and it changed my life. First it made me not care about what my ex husband was doing. I became more confidant. And was able to get myself out of that situation. Now I have been prescribed them again due to surgery and I am planning on replacing my citaloprom, loratadine and hopefully with God on my side grasp at a better future."

Bubbles55 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 2, 2017

For Anxiety "I battle depression, anxiety & severe insomnia also allergies. Knocked me out cold & my allergies seemed under control anxiety a little better. Problem I couldn't shake being extremely tired the next day. All I could do was sleep which doesn't help with depression."

KL 2 September 30, 2017