User Reviews for Vistaril

Learn more about Vistaril.

Allergies 1 reviews 55 medications

Pain 7 reviews 1100 medications

5.1
Summary of Vistaril reviews 149 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Vistaril

For Anxiety "Worst medication ever. You can't function after you take it and you feel terrible for days after. It's basically benadryl ( a sedating antihistamine). Does nothing for anxiety expect make you feel weird and uncomfortable then puts you to sleep. Another sorry excuse, poor man's anti anxiety med. Stay away. If your doctor prescribes they are an idiot"

CJ1847499295 September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Let me start by with the obvious disclaimer, everyone is different, and your milage may very. Also always follow your doctors advice. I am leaving my experience, as I hope it will help others. I suffer from severe anxiety, not the mild kind of anxiety. For the last month I have been having as many as 3-4 panic attacks a day, when I was prescribed this I was very skeptical. I have been prescribed almost every medication, for anxiety including Xanax, Klonopin , and Ativan. When I first started taking this 50mgs of Vistaril, I didn't feel that It was having any effect. In fact it wasn't until, after I had run out and didn't get it refilled that I noticed it had been making a sizable difference. For me it wasn't a cure, but it was a useful tool."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Great for unclogging your nose, horrible for anxiety. It made mine bad enough on several occasions that I ended up in the ER. It also gave me dangerously low blood pressure, heart palpitations, hallucinations and an overall terrified feeling. I wouldn't recommend this at all for anxiety."

shatswan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Well, what can I say other than vomiting for 8 hours and pooping myself for a day after taking this pill. I need answers"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Works very well. Takes the edge right off"

BarbaraAc July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I have tried so many things for my anxiety...Vistaril for anxiety did not help me personally...I know everyone is different but this did not help me at all. I just started Buspar for my anxiety so I am hoping this helps. But Vistaril did NOTHING... I didn't feel anything it may work for certain people but absolutely nothing happened with my anxiety decreasing ..."

Leahbobeah90 July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I've struggled with Anxiety my whole life I've tried SSRI and Benzodiapams they SSRI's made me sick and sluggish and benzos are severely addicting and I refuse to become addicted to something. Vistaril works great for me as you take it longer you won't be very sleepy. I take 10mg at night and only need it at night sometimes in the day and it lasts. I have no panic attacks. Hardly ever. I went from having panic attacks daily to one every once in a while. I love this medication ."

Jillybean4207 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "horrible medication! Was given this antihistamine for anxiety, it gave me hallucinations and nightmares about people dying and cartoon animal trying to kill me. The feeling didn't go away the next day. It took me two days to get it out of my system. Worst medication ever!!!!"

sammy555 May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I take 25 mg and it does not work. My Dr has prescribed it for 2 months now and I have told her that it don't work. I would rather have the xanax back."

Ccjr43 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Been on vistaril for a month. Works fine for me. Finally getting a full night sleep. I feel so much better awakening in the morning."

Special K1029 May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I have been suffering from "AAD" & Panic Disorder for most of my life. Took my 1st "classic" panic attack in the 5th grade!!! I was Finally diagnosed at 23. I'm have been treated with xanax, clonopin and ativan for this awful condition ever since. I am now 43. Because of all the Abuse of these meds though by people that don't need it for anything except to "get high" makes me furious!!! Because where I live in N.J.,no kind of doctor wants to prescribe any kind of benzo anymore. It's awful because these meds help so many people. I was just yanked, not weaned, off the xanax and given Vistaril 100mg 3 times a day. This is the Most awful medication I have ever taken In my life!!! I had such horrible S/E's I went to the E.R.!!! TERRIBLE MED!!!"

PanicAnxietyMess May 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I had some sudden Insomnia problems this winter. Took a while to find out the underlying cause was anxiety. At first since I only thought it was Insomnia, the Ambien I got prescribed didn't work. I was going on 5 days with ONLY an hour of sleep so I visited a Psych. Vistaril worked that night and ever since. At first I took it as needed (2-3/day), then after a couple weeks I was just doing 1 at night for sleep. Crazy dreams similar to Benadryl. I ran out 3 weeks ago and wanted to see how I would fare. Not good. Just got it prescribed again and looking to jump back into a proper sleep cycle and keep it as a safety stash. It's not 100%, there may be a night here & there, but it felt like a literal life saver rescuing me from 5sleepless days M/22"

jjpv305 April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Amazing. Absolutely give this a chance if you suffer from anxiety. On prozac 20mg daily, ativan as needed, and vistaril. When my anxiety sky rockets and my mind races so fast I don't know what I'm thinking, vistaril has brought my mind and anxiety to a calm state within minutes. Life saving"

AnxietyDepression (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Was put on this temporarily for anxiety but it doesn't work for me!! No relief from my anxiety whatsoever and it made me slightly sleepy...I'm not sure why this is even considered anti-anxiety?! It's basically Benadryl!!! I think it's prescribed over other meds because it's not addicting, which is a plus lol"

Wca8806 (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "My mother has cancer. With that she has anxiety. The Dr prescribed her vistaril 25mg. Granted it kinda helps anxiety but it contributes to hallucinations. When I leave her off of it she has anxiety when she takes it, her dreams are vividly real. Weigh your options or decrease dosage but if a loved one is taking this medication before mental diagnosis try replacing or removing this drug for at least 48 hrs."

Vyxen March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I have been on Visitril for a little over a week now and I have to say that it has been an overall therapeutic and positive experience. I was on Lexapro (escitolopram) for almost 3 months and found that the medicine would make me pretty anxious though did level me out during a very rocky time in my life . I chose to start taking Visitril since the lexapro wasn't effective in ways I wanted and now on 50mg to 100 mg a day, I can say that it is easier to be focused on things that I really care about and I can usually notice the subtle change in my body when it stops working (in my stomach primarily) and I'll pop another one and will stay pretty level as long as it is in my system."

SketchRteest February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I deal with extreme anxiety in a lot of different scenarios likely rising out of autism. I'm on about 75mg a day, and I cannot say I have side-effects, other than waking up with a pounding heart for a few hours if I drink too heavily. I have had such good effects from the drug to the point where I can actually see major differences in how I interact with people and events and almost see a difference in my personality (for the better) over the past several years. I have recommended Vistaril to several people."

TheVicar (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was prescribed 25mg and was advised to take it as needed up to 4 times a day, and still nothing. I realize that with other medications, you should take it for 4 weeks or so to start to feel a difference, but anxiety medicine should work shortly after taking it, right? Unfortunately when I called my Dr, I had to "give it time" even though people anxiety don't really have time. So frustrating. $50 without a coupon just to have the same anxious rage I already had."

Nickolson January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was prescribed Vistaril 25mg to help relieve tension and was told to take 2 pills so 50mg if I 1 25mg pill didn't work. 50mg didn't really help either. I felt no improvement in how I felt aftetlr taking it. I was told after 30 minutes of taking it I should've felt better but it never happened. After 2 to 3 hours after taking it I felt somewhat relaxed but was more tired than relax. Vistaril really didn't work out for me."

Anon9991 December 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "It doesn't help at all. Doesn't even make me sleepy, either. Even Zoloft helps with my anxiety more, and Zoloft isn't even marketed specifically to treat anxiety, like Visatril."

BridgetHasAnxiety November 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Didn't help my anxiety, just knocked me out."

DylanGay (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was instructed to take this as needed for anxiety, however, it never helped. Which surprised my providers. I went through multiple doses before I was finally able to stop it and switch to a much more effective medication."

KMaureen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Made my hair fall out extremely bad. I think this drug made my anxiety worse."

Mislin (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was given Vistaril for anxiety, to be used "as needed" for my panic/anxiety attacks, and for me, it did nothing but make me a little sleepy. I know most anti-panic drugs are sedatives, but those generally do more than make you tired. This one just made me tired and freaked out."

PresleyAxel October 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation "Taking Vistaril to help me sleep. I work nights, it's particularly difficult to sleep. This med just helps me to doze off & stay asleep. There's no "drugged" feeling when I wake up. I do feel like it takes a little longer to get fully awake, but don't feel hung over like trazodone made me feel. Highly recommend it if you're looking for a very good non-narcotic sleep aid."

Cjprc39 September 26, 2016