User Reviews for Vistaril

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Vistaril.

Allergies

Pain
5.1

Summary of Vistaril reviews 7.0 161 reviews

Reviews for Vistaril

For Anxiety "My doctor prescribed me vistaril to relieve anxiety rather than me just drinking alcohol and self medicating. It seems to take an edge of the anxiety but it doesn't fully alleviate anxiety. Also after taking it for awhile I'm not 100 percent it was the vistaril but I developed what was explained to me to be chronic GERD basically like extreme heart burn all the time 24/7 so now they have me on more medication to treat that."

Provost906 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2018

For Anxiety "Vistaril does absolutely nothing. It doesn't help with anxiety. It only makes you more frustrated that your anxiety is not being treated properly. If your doc prescribes you this, he is not a doctor, he is just wasting your time... unbelievable."

nope1234 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2018

For Anxiety "This didn't do anything for my anxiety, not even make me tired. I feel more anxiety taking them then when I don't use it. Chest tightness, nose running like a river, constant state of anxiety going on."

Thegoatbjk January 21, 2018

For Anxiety "I have had anxiety and a panic disorder for most of my adult life. I was on ativan for 15 years and have been on klonopin for 10. When my doctor retires or I lose health insurance coverage I have been prescribed vistaril by family practice doctors that don't like prescribing benzodiazepines. For me it does stop panic attacks and calms me. Also helps with sleeping. The only downside is it is less effective over time unlike klonopin or ativan which never loses its efficacy. It's a nice med to take short term until I find a long term doctor."

Babs98272 December 31, 2017

For Anxiety "I was prescribed Vistaril to help with anxiety and sleep following opiate withdrawals. It did little, if anything. Original dose was 50 mg, later raised to 100 mg. It did reduce the crazy sneezing I went through. I got far better results for sleep from OTC Benedryl and melatonin."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2017

For Anxiety "All I do is sleep on this medication. Was on Buspar but that was not controlling my anxiety."

Evill (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2017

For Anxiety "Vistaril is an ANTIHISTAMINE. it can make you drowsy if you have not taken it before. This is ALL that it MAY have in common with a real anxiety medication. It DOES NOTHING for anxiety unless you are shaking and trembling due to poison ivy or HIVES!!!!! Whoever got the bright idea to try to convince anyone that suffers from real anxiety to use this med for help is risking their patient's life. I take it for chronic hives, and have done so for 45 years."

Leigh237 (taken for 10 years or more) December 18, 2017

For Anxiety "I have a severe bipolar, extreme manic depressive, high anxiety, suicidal tendencies and ADHD. I had never taken any medications until recently. I didn't believe anything was wrong. I recently admitted myself to a psychiatric hospital that specializes in chemical dependency and mental illness. I was prescribed Vistaril 50mg every 6hrs as needed. I like this medication a lot. It works quick for me and I've not experienced any issues with making me tired at all and I only use it during the day. But I also have Seroquel 150mg Neurontin two 100mg capsules three times a day and Depakote 500mg 1 in the morning and 2 at bedtime. Vistaril has been great for me."

Craziefemale (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

For Anxiety "30 years ago in my first marriage. I was severely abused. I was trying to commit suicide always fighting crying and hallucinating. Mt Dr put me on vistaril, and it changed my life. First it made me not care about what my ex husband was doing. I became more confidant. And was able to get myself out of that situation. Now I have been prescribed them again due to surgery and I am planning on replacing my citaloprom, loratadine and hopefully with God on my side grasp at a better future."

Bubbles55 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 2, 2017

For Anxiety "I battle depression, anxiety & severe insomnia also allergies. Knocked me out cold & my allergies seemed under control anxiety a little better. Problem I couldn't shake being extremely tired the next day. All I could do was sleep which doesn't help with depression."

KL 2 September 30, 2017

For Anxiety "Doesn't do much for my anxiety or promote sleep (I take a dose at bedtime). Vistaril is basically prescription Benadryl."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2017

For Anxiety "I’ve had severe anxiety my whole life but was never put on anything till about 7 months ago. I was also diagnosed with bipolar, so when I’m manic and having a extremely hard time falling asleep this medicine works. But for my anxiety, which it was prescribed for, doesn’t do anything except make me pass out and not want to do anything for days! It also makes me fall asleep at the drop of a dime, for example while driving! This may work for others, but it’s definitely not the pill for me when it comes to anxiety, though for when I need to get some shut eye it works great!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 26, 2017

For Anxiety "Worst medication ever. You can't function after you take it and you feel terrible for days after. It's basically benadryl ( a sedating antihistamine). Does nothing for anxiety expect make you feel weird and uncomfortable then puts you to sleep. Another sorry excuse, poor man's anti anxiety med. Stay away. If your doctor prescribes they are an idiot"

CJ1847499295 September 7, 2017

For Anxiety "Let me start by with the obvious disclaimer, everyone is different, and your milage may very. Also always follow your doctors advice. I am leaving my experience, as I hope it will help others. I suffer from severe anxiety, not the mild kind of anxiety. For the last month I have been having as many as 3-4 panic attacks a day, when I was prescribed this I was very skeptical. I have been prescribed almost every medication, for anxiety including Xanax, Klonopin , and Ativan. When I first started taking this 50mgs of Vistaril, I didn't feel that It was having any effect. In fact it wasn't until, after I had run out and didn't get it refilled that I noticed it had been making a sizable difference. For me it wasn't a cure, but it was a useful tool."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

For Anxiety "Great for unclogging your nose, horrible for anxiety. It made mine bad enough on several occasions that I ended up in the ER. It also gave me dangerously low blood pressure, heart palpitations, hallucinations and an overall terrified feeling. I wouldn't recommend this at all for anxiety."

shatswan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

For Anxiety "Well, what can I say other than vomiting for 8 hours and pooping myself for a day after taking this pill. I need answers"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

For Anxiety "Works very well. Takes the edge right off"

BarbaraAc July 22, 2017

For Anxiety "I have tried so many things for my anxiety...Vistaril for anxiety did not help me personally...I know everyone is different but this did not help me at all. I just started Buspar for my anxiety so I am hoping this helps. But Vistaril did NOTHING... I didn't feel anything it may work for certain people but absolutely nothing happened with my anxiety decreasing ..."

Leahbobeah90 July 1, 2017

For Anxiety "I've struggled with Anxiety my whole life I've tried SSRI and Benzodiapams they SSRI's made me sick and sluggish and benzos are severely addicting and I refuse to become addicted to something. Vistaril works great for me as you take it longer you won't be very sleepy. I take 10mg at night and only need it at night sometimes in the day and it lasts. I have no panic attacks. Hardly ever. I went from having panic attacks daily to one every once in a while. I love this medication ."

Jillybean4207 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 27, 2017

For Anxiety "horrible medication! Was given this antihistamine for anxiety, it gave me hallucinations and nightmares about people dying and cartoon animal trying to kill me. The feeling didn't go away the next day. It took me two days to get it out of my system. Worst medication ever!!!!"

sammy555 May 24, 2017

For Anxiety "I take 25 mg and it does not work. My Dr has prescribed it for 2 months now and I have told her that it don't work. I would rather have the xanax back."

Ccjr43 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2017

For Anxiety "Been on vistaril for a month. Works fine for me. Finally getting a full night sleep. I feel so much better awakening in the morning."

Special K1029 May 7, 2017

For Anxiety "I have been suffering from "AAD" & Panic Disorder for most of my life. Took my 1st "classic" panic attack in the 5th grade!!! I was Finally diagnosed at 23. I'm have been treated with xanax, clonopin and ativan for this awful condition ever since. I am now 43. Because of all the Abuse of these meds though by people that don't need it for anything except to "get high" makes me furious!!! Because where I live in N.J.,no kind of doctor wants to prescribe any kind of benzo anymore. It's awful because these meds help so many people. I was just yanked, not weaned, off the xanax and given Vistaril 100mg 3 times a day. This is the Most awful medication I have ever taken In my life!!! I had such horrible S/E's I went to the E.R.!!! TERRIBLE MED!!!"

PanicAnxietyMess May 2, 2017

For Anxiety "I had some sudden Insomnia problems this winter. Took a while to find out the underlying cause was anxiety. At first since I only thought it was Insomnia, the Ambien I got prescribed didn't work. I was going on 5 days with ONLY an hour of sleep so I visited a Psych. Vistaril worked that night and ever since. At first I took it as needed (2-3/day), then after a couple weeks I was just doing 1 at night for sleep. Crazy dreams similar to Benadryl. I ran out 3 weeks ago and wanted to see how I would fare. Not good. Just got it prescribed again and looking to jump back into a proper sleep cycle and keep it as a safety stash. It's not 100%, there may be a night here & there, but it felt like a literal life saver rescuing me from 5sleepless days M/22"

jjpv305 April 22, 2017

For Anxiety "Amazing. Absolutely give this a chance if you suffer from anxiety. On prozac 20mg daily, ativan as needed, and vistaril. When my anxiety sky rockets and my mind races so fast I don't know what I'm thinking, vistaril has brought my mind and anxiety to a calm state within minutes. Life saving"

AnxietyDepression (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2017