User Reviews for Vistaril

Learn more about Vistaril.

Vistaril Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 172 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Vistaril to treat Anxiety

"My mother has cancer. With that she has anxiety. The Dr prescribed her vistaril 25mg. Granted it kinda helps anxiety but it contributes to hallucinations. When I leave her off of it she has anxiety when she takes it, her dreams are vividly real. Weigh your options or decrease dosage but if a loved one is taking this medication before mental diagnosis try replacing or removing this drug for at least 48 hrs."

Vyxen March 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Visitril for a little over a week now and I have to say that it has been an overall therapeutic and positive experience. I was on Lexapro (escitolopram) for almost 3 months and found that the medicine would make me pretty anxious though did level me out during a very rocky time in my life . I chose to start taking Visitril since the lexapro wasn't effective in ways I wanted and now on 50mg to 100 mg a day, I can say that it is easier to be focused on things that I really care about and I can usually notice the subtle change in my body when it stops working (in my stomach primarily) and I'll pop another one and will stay pretty level as long as it is in my system."

SketchRteest February 1, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I deal with extreme anxiety in a lot of different scenarios likely rising out of autism. I'm on about 75mg a day, and I cannot say I have side-effects, other than waking up with a pounding heart for a few hours if I drink too heavily. I have had such good effects from the drug to the point where I can actually see major differences in how I interact with people and events and almost see a difference in my personality (for the better) over the past several years. I have recommended Vistaril to several people."

TheVicar (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 19, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed 25mg and was advised to take it as needed up to 4 times a day, and still nothing. I realize that with other medications, you should take it for 4 weeks or so to start to feel a difference, but anxiety medicine should work shortly after taking it, right? Unfortunately when I called my Dr, I had to "give it time" even though people anxiety don't really have time. So frustrating. $50 without a coupon just to have the same anxious rage I already had."

Nickolson January 5, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Vistaril 25mg to help relieve tension and was told to take 2 pills so 50mg if I 1 25mg pill didn't work. 50mg didn't really help either. I felt no improvement in how I felt aftetlr taking it. I was told after 30 minutes of taking it I should've felt better but it never happened. After 2 to 3 hours after taking it I felt somewhat relaxed but was more tired than relax. Vistaril really didn't work out for me."

Anon9991 December 11, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It doesn't help at all. Doesn't even make me sleepy, either. Even Zoloft helps with my anxiety more, and Zoloft isn't even marketed specifically to treat anxiety, like Visatril."

BridgetHasAnxiety November 30, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Didn't help my anxiety, just knocked me out."

DylanGay (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was instructed to take this as needed for anxiety, however, it never helped. Which surprised my providers. I went through multiple doses before I was finally able to stop it and switch to a much more effective medication."

KMaureen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 3, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Made my hair fall out extremely bad. I think this drug made my anxiety worse."

Mislin (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 20, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given Vistaril for anxiety, to be used "as needed" for my panic/anxiety attacks, and for me, it did nothing but make me a little sleepy. I know most anti-panic drugs are sedatives, but those generally do more than make you tired. This one just made me tired and freaked out."

PresleyAxel October 3, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Good experience; have some sleepiness/sluggishness (not sure if related)???"

Me-me (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 21, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"On a low dose (25mg) but helped with anxiety and depression, i feel much better since ive been on it. helped lower feelings of sadness and anxiety, makes it easier to live life."

Youngman August 29, 2016

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take 200 mgs at night, it lets me sleep and calms down my mind. It also helps with my eczema and nasal congestion. Warning!!!Do not take this drug if u had or have any heart problems!!!"

Mike M. from California (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It made me very sleepy. I didn't like feeling so tired. With other medications for anxiety I had more sense of calmness rather than just feeling loopy and tired. I won't use it again"

Anonymous July 28, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have just started this med. This is day 3 of taking it and it has not helped with anxiety at all. In some ways it makes it worse. It clouds my head and not being able to think heightens my anxiety. It does although put me to sleep within a couple hours (Zzzquil does that job better though), but the anxiety stays present."

Jehremy (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been struggling my entire life with mental health issues that I didn't realize were there. I have extreme anxiety and have always found it so hard to talk to people with out stuttering and feeling stupid. I experimented many different meds Vistaril seriously changed my life. I am so much happier and so much calmer than I've ever been, I feel like a new person."

Finally over July 3, 2016

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication coupled with a benzodiazepine is wonderful. It makes your body feel better and is non addicting."

Foxtrotz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given Vistaril for PTSD/AAD (Acute Anxiety Disorder) and I really don't like it. Initially it helps with anxiety but if I am stressed at all or put in a situation with stress its so much worse than without the medicine. It also makes it really difficult to function normally; I feel like I'm wading through jello and my brain is about 4 seconds behind. We are going to try Xanax at my next visit."

Anonymous April 3, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This med causes me severe headaches and helps with anxiety some but the pain in my head only grows worse each day along with blurred vision and highly increased appetite and dry mouth. Not worth the daily headaches. Using an antihistamine for anxiety and blood pressure meds like clonidine, said to help with my adhd that does nothing for my focus, is a mixture of insanity. Im over the vistaril after a month of more intense headaches everyday."

Spazkay (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My psych. put me on this yesterday and I took it today for the first time this morning. It made me feel cloudy all day and it made my anxiety worse. Ativan works way better! Never taking Vistaril ever again!"

Guy45678949 March 6, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Vistaril is a horrible medication for anxiety it does absolutely nothing benzos work the best"

sammyboy88 (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I used to take this medication for panic attacks, and it worked absolute wonders. It took about 30 minutes to kick in but really calmed me down and it wasn't at all addictive. I later found out I have severe hereditary liver problems and it has a bad interaction with what I have to take to keep my liver in check, so I can no longer take it. With the medicines combined I just felt foggy and had to sleep for at least 15 hours if I had to take a vistaril, I couldn't keep my eyes open and function until I'd slept it off. I'm now trying out Xanax, and I don't really like it, vistaril kept me calm longer and was just amazing when I needed it. With Xanax the half life is just terrible and I end up with a worse panic attack than I began with."

Icantthinkofanickname (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 17, 2016

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have anxiety/panic attacks. Was using Ativan and it was great. Calmed me immediately, didn't make me drowsy or put of it but psychiatrist told me some people's depression gets worse. Mine didn't but she made me switch to Vistaril which does nothing for me. I've tried taking several at a time and still doesn't help. I really wish I could go back to Ativan. Hopefully next appointment she'll let me. I cannot stand feeling like I'm having a heart attack anymore!"

Anonymous February 9, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have hereditary Depression, Bipolar Type 2, PTSD, High Anxiety, Insomnia, and I am also breast feeding baby #4. (I also suffer from Severe Post Partum Depression beginning late in my pregnancies.) I have been on over 50 combinations of medications. (I caution you readers to be leery of reviews by those who prior took addictive medications to Vistaril, as they may have formed a biased addiction to their previous meds.) I am currently taking Prozac and Vistaril. My best medication combination when not pregnant or breast feeding was Prozac and Doxepin. The Vistaril is helping so greatly with both my anxiety and insomnia that I am switching permanently! I can even take Vistaril if my anxiety flares, plus it is not addictive! Loving it!!!"

Sam I am. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This stuff is like an OTC version of Benadryl (it's an anti-histamine). It has been helping me ween off of the Klonopin I've been taking to help me sleep for the last 2 years. This stuff takes almost an hour to kick in, but when it does, it almost always kills my anxiety at times when benzos didn't. If you're gonna take it for sleep, take it at least an hour before you plan on going to bed and make sure you have 8 to 9 hours to sleep because it will knock you out. Grogginess is it's biggest negative, along with tolerance building up fast, so I try to take every other day if I can, though it's non-addictive and safe to take regularly at least far safer than a benzo."

brett84c (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2016