User Reviews for Vistaril

Learn more about Vistaril.

Vistaril Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Vistaril to treat Anxiety

"I was prescribed 25mg and was advised to take it as needed up to 4 times a day, and still nothing. I realize that with other medications, you should take it for 4 weeks or so to start to feel a difference, but anxiety medicine should work shortly after taking it, right? Unfortunately when I called my Dr, I had to "give it time" even though people anxiety don't really have time. So frustrating. $50 without a coupon just to have the same anxious rage I already had."

Nickolson January 5, 2017

"I was prescribed Vistaril 25mg to help relieve tension and was told to take 2 pills so 50mg if I 1 25mg pill didn't work. 50mg didn't really help either. I felt no improvement in how I felt aftetlr taking it. I was told after 30 minutes of taking it I should've felt better but it never happened. After 2 to 3 hours after taking it I felt somewhat relaxed but was more tired than relax. Vistaril really didn't work out for me."

Anon9991 December 11, 2016

"It doesn't help at all. Doesn't even make me sleepy, either. Even Zoloft helps with my anxiety more, and Zoloft isn't even marketed specifically to treat anxiety, like Visatril."

BridgetHasAnxiety November 30, 2016

"Didn't help my anxiety, just knocked me out."

DylanGay (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

"I was instructed to take this as needed for anxiety, however, it never helped. Which surprised my providers. I went through multiple doses before I was finally able to stop it and switch to a much more effective medication."

KMaureen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 3, 2016

"Made my hair fall out extremely bad. I think this drug made my anxiety worse."

Mislin (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 20, 2016

"I was given Vistaril for anxiety, to be used "as needed" for my panic/anxiety attacks, and for me, it did nothing but make me a little sleepy. I know most anti-panic drugs are sedatives, but those generally do more than make you tired. This one just made me tired and freaked out."

PresleyAxel October 3, 2016

"Good experience; have some sleepiness/sluggishness (not sure if related)???"

Me-me (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 21, 2016

"On a low dose (25mg) but helped with anxiety and depression, i feel much better since ive been on it. helped lower feelings of sadness and anxiety, makes it easier to live life."

Youngman August 29, 2016

"I take 200 mgs at night, it lets me sleep and calms down my mind. It also helps with my eczema and nasal congestion. Warning!!!Do not take this drug if u had or have any heart problems!!!"

Mike M. from California (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2016

"It made me very sleepy. I didn't like feeling so tired. With other medications for anxiety I had more sense of calmness rather than just feeling loopy and tired. I won't use it again"

Anonymous July 28, 2016

"I have just started this med. This is day 3 of taking it and it has not helped with anxiety at all. In some ways it makes it worse. It clouds my head and not being able to think heightens my anxiety. It does although put me to sleep within a couple hours (Zzzquil does that job better though), but the anxiety stays present."

Jehremy (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2016

"I have been struggling my entire life with mental health issues that I didn't realize were there. I have extreme anxiety and have always found it so hard to talk to people with out stuttering and feeling stupid. I experimented many different meds Vistaril seriously changed my life. I am so much happier and so much calmer than I've ever been, I feel like a new person."

Finally over July 3, 2016

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication coupled with a benzodiazepine is wonderful. It makes your body feel better and is non addicting."

Foxtrotz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2016

"I was given Vistaril for PTSD/AAD (Acute Anxiety Disorder) and I really don't like it. Initially it helps with anxiety but if I am stressed at all or put in a situation with stress its so much worse than without the medicine. It also makes it really difficult to function normally; I feel like I'm wading through jello and my brain is about 4 seconds behind. We are going to try Xanax at my next visit."

Anonymous April 3, 2016

"This med causes me severe headaches and helps with anxiety some but the pain in my head only grows worse each day along with blurred vision and highly increased appetite and dry mouth. Not worth the daily headaches. Using an antihistamine for anxiety and blood pressure meds like clonidine, said to help with my adhd that does nothing for my focus, is a mixture of insanity. Im over the vistaril after a month of more intense headaches everyday."

Spazkay (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2016

"My psych. put me on this yesterday and I took it today for the first time this morning. It made me feel cloudy all day and it made my anxiety worse. Ativan works way better! Never taking Vistaril ever again!"

Guy45678949 March 6, 2016

"Vistaril is a horrible medication for anxiety it does absolutely nothing benzos work the best"

sammyboy88 (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2016

"I used to take this medication for panic attacks, and it worked absolute wonders. It took about 30 minutes to kick in but really calmed me down and it wasn't at all addictive. I later found out I have severe hereditary liver problems and it has a bad interaction with what I have to take to keep my liver in check, so I can no longer take it. With the medicines combined I just felt foggy and had to sleep for at least 15 hours if I had to take a vistaril, I couldn't keep my eyes open and function until I'd slept it off. I'm now trying out Xanax, and I don't really like it, vistaril kept me calm longer and was just amazing when I needed it. With Xanax the half life is just terrible and I end up with a worse panic attack than I began with."

Icantthinkofanickname (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 17, 2016

"I have anxiety/panic attacks. Was using Ativan and it was great. Calmed me immediately, didn't make me drowsy or put of it but psychiatrist told me some people's depression gets worse. Mine didn't but she made me switch to Vistaril which does nothing for me. I've tried taking several at a time and still doesn't help. I really wish I could go back to Ativan. Hopefully next appointment she'll let me. I cannot stand feeling like I'm having a heart attack anymore!"

Anonymous February 9, 2016

"I have hereditary Depression, Bipolar Type 2, PTSD, High Anxiety, Insomnia, and I am also breast feeding baby #4. (I also suffer from Severe Post Partum Depression beginning late in my pregnancies.) I have been on over 50 combinations of medications. (I caution you readers to be leery of reviews by those who prior took addictive medications to Vistaril, as they may have formed a biased addiction to their previous meds.) I am currently taking Prozac and Vistaril. My best medication combination when not pregnant or breast feeding was Prozac and Doxepin. The Vistaril is helping so greatly with both my anxiety and insomnia that I am switching permanently! I can even take Vistaril if my anxiety flares, plus it is not addictive! Loving it!!!"

Sam I am. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This stuff is like an OTC version of Benadryl (it's an anti-histamine). It has been helping me ween off of the Klonopin I've been taking to help me sleep for the last 2 years. This stuff takes almost an hour to kick in, but when it does, it almost always kills my anxiety at times when benzos didn't. If you're gonna take it for sleep, take it at least an hour before you plan on going to bed and make sure you have 8 to 9 hours to sleep because it will knock you out. Grogginess is it's biggest negative, along with tolerance building up fast, so I try to take every other day if I can, though it's non-addictive and safe to take regularly at least far safer than a benzo."

brett84c (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2016

"Have been on Xanax since I lost my brother. I was thirty-nine. It helped with grieving, especially while working. Through the years I've been prescribed Xanax for sleeping .25. Through the years I've developed Fibromyalsia which one symtom is sound, refreshing sleep. After consulting specialists and pain mgt, the decision was use Xanax along with Prozac to get to sleep and stay asleep. Now , after I moved I went to a new dr who refuses to prescribe Xanax. He used the term I am too "old" to keep taking Xanax. Worked fine for many years, now he is changing my mode of life. Today he prescribed vistaril. Will see tonight if I can sleep. He initially cut the Xanax I was using by 2/3. I was prescribed take 3 -.25 mg at bedtime. Hope it works!"

Aannie (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2016

"This stuff is useless. I keep it around because it does wonders for my hay-fever. As to anxiety I'll stick with serax or xanax."

Rick59rcm.219 January 16, 2016

"I have bad anxiety, did not work at all for me, been on buspar, trazadone, xanax, and klonopin. Xanax and klonopin work best."

sanni7936 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2016