User Reviews for Vistaril to treat Sedation

Vistaril has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 12 ratings for the treatment of Sedation. 42% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Vistaril Rating Summary

5.6/10 average rating

Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Sedation.

Reviews for Vistaril

Rachel1996 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 11, 2019

“Everyone listen up. This is the WORST drug EVER. Within a few months I went from 110 pounds to 178 pounds. Now I am on a very restrictive diet and I exercise as much as I am able to but still cannot lose the weight. I see my psychiatrist on the 27th of this month but I officially have tossed the pills tonight. No more of this medication. I never thought in a million years that I would be considered obese. I am 5'3 and my natural weight is around 110 pounds. The massive weight gain has destroyed any progress I have made in my mental health and it has destroyed my confidence and self-esteem. I feel like crying. I pray that I will start dropping all of the weight soon!!!!!! Never thought this could happen to me!!!!!! We all have moments where we say, "That could never happen to me." But guess what, I was wrong!!!!! If you are concerned about weight gain, never take this drug!!!!!! I want to let people know that they need to BE CAREFUL with this drug!!!!!!!”

ser13 November 20, 2019

“My doctor prescribed me this drug Vistaril as I have trouble sleeping. I was getting around 5 hours of sleep and with Vistaril I am now getting 3 hours. It makes you feel drowsy, but not in a good way. Falling asleep on this drug is very difficult. I wake up several times during the night and the next morning I don’t know if I was asleep or awake during the night. I feel the side effects of this drug a whole 24 hours after taking it. The next morning after taking it for sleep, my muscles do not work properly and I feel like I’ve lost motor function in my limbs and fingers. My brain is not comprehending information quickly and I have a hard time typing and reading. I was out and felt like I had to be taken to emergency because of how much anxiety I was feeling with my body feeling limp and weak. Everything about this drug effected me negatively. Didn’t help with my anxiety. Didn’t help me fall asleep. I’ve only taken this drug 3 times (not even in a row) and will not be taking it again.”

KClean July 1, 2008

“I have tried Ambien, Cymbalta, Clonazepam, etc for insomnia. All have had the opposite effect - keeping me awake worse than if I hadn't taken anything. Nothing has helped me sleep as well as Vistaril, with no side effects. I wake up refreshed every morning without any fatigue.”

Lee October 26, 2020

“Took Vistaril once and scared to take it again- I've taken clonazepam for insomnia and that feeling of drowsy is a gentle lull, benadryl is like a mildly hazy pull to sleep.... within 30 min of taking hydroxamine I felt like I was being forced against my will to sleep, and I couldn't help but resist, completely defeating the purpose. I want to see if it'll help but man that feeling was scary.”

Cjprc39 September 26, 2016

“Taking Vistaril to help me sleep. I work nights, it's particularly difficult to sleep. This med just helps me to doze off & stay asleep. There's no "drugged" feeling when I wake up. I do feel like it takes a little longer to get fully awake, but don't feel hung over like trazodone made me feel. Highly recommend it if you're looking for a very good non-narcotic sleep aid.”

unicornhearts · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2019

“Prescribed 25 mg Vistaril 1 to 2 pills as needed at night for sedation and anxiety. On the first 3 nights it made me sleep very deeply. Woke up several times gritting my teeth. Next day felt drunk and slept way too much. I was irritable and overwhelmed by everything. The 4th night which was last night I didn't sleep as well and woke up way too early. Also the drunk drowsy feeling is gone. I may quit taking it but am going to stick with it another week to see how it helps with anxiety.”

KickRocks84 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2014

“My psychiatrist just prescribed me this medication to help me sleep at night since I have trouble sleeping, supposedly it takes 15 to 45 mins to take in effect, the only effect I got was a calming effect but wasn't sleepy like it was intended for..therefor I became more agitated, crying for no apparent reason, and more fidgety then ever..So unfortunately I was the unfortunate one where it does not work for.”

DaniG · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2015

“I have been dealing with insomnia on and off for over 10 years. I have always managed it with OTC meds like Unisom. Finally decided to see a doc about it after having to take 3-4 Unisom a night (I was feeling like a zombie till 10 am!). She prescribed 25 mg of Vistaril - take one at bed time. Last night was my first time using it and it took a few hours to get me to sleep. All night I had weird, vivid dreams and it was hard to tell if I was asleep or awake. I felt on the brink of deep sleep, but still awake. It's hard to describe. I am going to give it a week and see how it goes. I was a bit groggy this morning, but not like on Unisom.”

DixonsMama · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2015

“I have chronic insomnia, my doctor had me on 2mg of Xanax which worked great. When I switched Drs, they wouldn't write prescriptions for Xanax. Put me on Restoril, didn't work, now I've been on 50mg Vistaril for several nights. It helps me sleep pretty well, but during the day I feel so out of it. I am so dizzy and light headed, even when I'm sitting I feel like I'm going to pass out! If this keeps up, I don't think I'll be able to continue this medication.”

DO March 22, 2021

“Glad for this when I needed it and glad that I've stopped it. Needed to sleep and this helped but now can sleep without it and glad to be off because I had difficulty motivating myself to get up and moving in the morning. Weight gain, sluggishness, increased appetite, and a whole slew of potential bad side effects.”

Your Nicknameit really works!! · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2013

“I've tried this and am so glad. I'm now on this one!”

Insomniac;/ January 27, 2016

“Took 2 25mg vistaril as ordered. My mind did rest and sleep but had really strange dreams. But didn't wake till morning. Just extremely anxious now because of the freaky dream.”

Learn more about Sedation