User Reviews for Atarax

Pain 3 reviews 1090 medications

5.7
Summary of Atarax reviews 79 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Atarax

For Anxiety "I've been take Atarax 50's 3x's daily PRN.. I also take Ativan.. but only if absolutely needed.. I have found that Atarax helps me emensely (sp).. It doesn't make me tired or groggy anymore.. It just calms me down when having some anxiety or feeling out of sorts with my mood.. It does a good job at leveling me out"

Joshy1980 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2016

For Anxiety "It works very well for me as a rescue medicine. If taken mid panic attack it definitely helps to calm me; however, if I take it before I am going to be in a situation that I know will cause anxiety it doesn't have much of an effect to keep me from having an attack. It definitely makes me sleepy."

For the birds June 17, 2016

For Anxiety "I was prescribed Atarax taking 25mg up to 3x daily or as needed. The first few days it made me groggy and want to sleep and experience very vivid dreams and nightmares. After a few days the grogginess went away and it actually helped me function while having high anxiety and helped to calm me. I still experience nightmares more often than I'd like to but I'd rather be functioning daily so I keep taking it"

Happy4me May 5, 2016

For Anxiety "Really good!!!!! I like atarax. Because: not addictive, makes me calm (and sleepy), calms anger restlessness and anxiety altogether. I am also on cymbalta and without cymbalta the atarax would probably be less effective. Atarax is my go-to when im anxious and i love it:)"

Elliotndbfjf (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2016

For Anxiety "My GP prescribed this for anxiety and directed that I take it every 8 hours. Now I have dealt with anxiety and severe panic attacks need immediate relief. This medication was not the one to do that for me. It made me very drowsy and at the same time I still had anxiety. This is not for someone who has a busy schedule because it will sedate you. I think this medication should only be used for its initial intent to control itching. Otherwise it was a waste for me."

Lcowan7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2016

For Allergies "It works as sleeping pill!! rather then for allergic!!"

sanjeevS February 25, 2016

For Sedation "Atarax did its job and gave me some sleep after taking just one very small pill but the after effects were truly horrendous. I have used this drug twice and had same after effects both times, once u wake up you are left with so much dizziness that you can't get yr head off the pillow so don't expect to be doing anything at all for many hours after u wake up, maybe other people can use this drug and have no side effects but I will never ever use this drug again"

gaz3443 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2016

For Anxiety "I was prescribed Atarax for my anxiety disorder. It did not help at all & only made me so tired I couldn't function. Definitely a waste!"

Shannonbmomof3 (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

For Anxiety "Took about 10 minutes to kick in. Felt like a total zombie all night, I was completely useless. The next day I was dizzy. Boo, atarax!"

Manda2814 February 10, 2016

For Anxiety "I was prescribed this for my anxiety disorder, and I'm really disappointed. It did absolutely nothing for me, which for obvious reasons, is frustrating in times of extreme anxiety. Taking a "rescue medication" and help never coming was hard for me personally. Others say it works great, but I suppose it depends on the person."

Alyabnormal (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2016

For Anxiety "I was given this medication in the emergency room for the anxiety I was having. It did nothing for me. I'm bipolar plus I have anxiety. I'm looking for something new. I was on klonopin but was taken off of it because it's highly addictive. I had taken that for 24 years. That helped a lot. I'm disappointed that atarax didn't work."

Skinny girl February 6, 2016

For Anxiety "I'm on 6 different medications for anxiety/depression/personality disorder. Have been for 7 years now. Atarax being the most recently added. Love it. I'm used to very strong medications and this one helps calm me without making me feel too tired"

6pillschick6 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2016

For Anxiety "Did absolutely nothing for me. If I could rate a 0 I would."

AustinRev3643 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2016

For Anxiety "Literally did nothing for my anxiety. Made me really sleepy but not sleepy enough to pass out. It just made me super sluggish."

sweetpjeb23 January 11, 2016

For Anxiety "This has made my anxiety worse. I feel this terrible high. I don't even feel like myself. My body is twitching and I been crying for 3 hours. It is really scaring me. I feel out of this world and not in a good way."

Kimmh00 January 5, 2016

For Anxiety "I have anxiety and did not realise till I took only a 1/4 of my 25ml tab how much it was effecting me. Today I have felt more able and productive and had a day without anxiety feels amazing. I did have at least 2 memorable dreams that night. I have noticed a slight dry mouth and eyes. This being said I do have ckd and will be going back to docs to make sure kidneys are not being affected and also to ask for the liquid version of this as the other ingredients list more to my preference.... no colour additives from what I've read."

Clareclareclare January 4, 2016

For Allergies "I have used this medication for anxiety allergies and to halp me fall asleep for 14 years, and have not had any reaction other than those needed. Now the insurance states that it is not appropriate for use in the elderly. I am 69."

aleras (taken for 10 years or more) November 20, 2015

For Anxiety "Calms and relaxes without grogginess"

Napitomalito (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

For Anxiety "Take the smallest dose possible! I took 50 mg of this and spent an entire day on the couch feeling dizzy and tired and completely wiped out. It was only until a family member commented on how my anxiety seemed to be better that I realized it was true. I asked my Dr for the smallest dose and 5 mg. It is enough to calm my anxiety and help me sleep without feeling uselessly tired. "

Mom2Angels (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2015

For Anxiety "I take this for my extreme anxiety disorder. Just 25mg alone will knock me out for hours. Personally it causes me incredibly vivid dreams, a lot of the time they are nightmares. Not sure if it's connected to the medicine, or it's just me. I do wake up feeling an extreme hangover. But it works really well for my anxiety at 50mg."

Anonymous September 2, 2015

For Sedation "Hydroxyzine is an oldie; but a keeper. It is more powerful than it's younger brother Zyrtec and lasts 24-36 hours. If taken at night, there is little chance of a 'hangover effect' or residual drowsiness. It is probably the safest and most effective sleep medication available; and you don't build a tolerance or addiction. As a HCL salt; check your liver and kidneys annually to make sure there are no ill affects which are rare."

Alexander-X (taken for 10 years or more) August 23, 2015

For Anxiety "I experience severe social and generalised anxiety. I was given 25mg of Atarax to take twice a day. I didn't feel it relieved my anxiety symptoms. It made me very sleepy. When I awoke in the morning I felt very groggy, constant yawning and didn't feel I could pay attention or properly, function at my job or get housework/errands done. I personally do not find Atarax helpful for anxiety."

shemightbelost (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2015

For Anxiety "Im 18, and I've never been on medications before... i have performance- and social anxiety. So when i went to my doctors and asked for something to help me survive my everyday life, he recommended Atarax. But i have been taking them for 2 weeks now with no effect what so ever... granted, they are only 10 mg and small as a breadcrumb, but i was at least expecting some effect from it. The only thing i felt was nausea and dizziness.... must say im quite disappointed "

sofiepofie (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

For Anxiety "Helped me a lot, non addictive, but some times it keeps me half sleeping and half awake at night time, otherwise its a great drug for its calming effect. Thanks"

Raj15 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

For Anxiety "Taking 25mg every 12 hours. Makes me feel like I have a hang over the next day. As far as it helping my anxiety, well, it knocks me out. So I guess I can't be anxious if I'm asleep on the couch. Will be trying something else."

Shannonwashere (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2015