User Reviews for Atarax

Pain 4.3
Summary of Atarax reviews 6.4 119 reviews

Reviews for Atarax

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2020

For Anxiety: “My doctor prescribed the 10 mg dose of this medicine Atarax with the directions that I could take 1/2-1 tablet once daily for acute anxiety and 2-3 tablets at night for insomnia. I took 1/2 tablet for the first time around 6:15 pm and I was out cold by 7 pm. I slept until 7:45 am and had to get up for an appointment. I could barely drag myself out of bed and if I hadn’t only been going 2 miles from home, I wouldn’t have been able to drive myself. I came home and slept on and off til about 3 pm, when I finally started to feel more like normal. I guess you could say it helped my anxiety, because you can’t feel anxious if you’re unconscious! But there is no possible way I could ever take this medicine and go to work or get anything productive accomplished. I am going to hold on to it in case I have a major anxiety episode that I need to just sleep through, but at my follow up appointment I will definitely request that we try something else.”

Joso · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 23, 2020

For Anxiety: “Had a few panic attacks shortly before my son was born. Went to a psychiatrist and they prescribed 50mg of Atarax. I found that a whole pills knocks me out and leaves me groggy for a few days but I cut the pill in half and it works great. Put you to sleep within a hour or so but the next day the tightness in my chest was gone and my anxiety was also gone. I only take it when the physical symptoms are too much and I can't enjoy life. I've had it the prescription for over a year and only taken it a half dozen times or so.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

For Anxiety: “Was prescribed 10mg Atarax tablets with directions to take 1-2 as every 6 hours as needed for anxiety and panic attacks. Taking 1 pill did nothing, so I took 2 the next time I felt anxiety creeping in. It made me very tired and dizzy, then sent me into a panic attack. I am better off not taking this medication when I feel anxiety coming on because it usually does not develop into a panic attack, let alone as worse as this one got.”

CurlyHurly · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 25, 2020

For Anxiety: “I was taking Atarax before going to sleep 5 years ago and taking sertraline (in the morning). Then one day I got mixed up took Atarax instead of sertraline (they look a like) I was ready to go to sleep in the middle of the mall. This drug made me very sluggish and just straight up sleepy. Wouldn't recommend operating while on it.”

lennon · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 20, 2020

For Anxiety: “Take when having a particularly anxious day. Makes me feel drowsy and relaxed. This medication does a good job of easing intrusive thoughts correlated with OCD when I’m having a hard day.”

Dandi · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2020

For Anxiety: “This medicine Atarax is useless for anxiety. All it did was dry me out. I have Sjögren’s syndrome and this is not a medication to be taken if you already have that immune system disorder.”

Cindy · Taken for 10 years or more March 1, 2020

For Pruritus: “I have been taking 25 mg of Atarax up to four times a day for 30 years.. I was given this because of my constant itching and rashes. It has saved my life. I have allergy's to so many things. When I'm stung by an insect or come in contact with an allergy trigger I take a higher dose and it has saved me from using a epi pen. I also have used it to sleep. I don't have anxiety. Perhaps Atarax is why. I don't have trouble with sleepiness on the lower dose. So I function fine in the day time when I take it. Your body gets used to it.”

Sherryetal · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 9, 2020

For Pruritus: “I take Atarax for pruritis in liver disease. It helps me tremendously! I do get sleepy as I take 50mg at bedtime and it’s a bit difficult to get going in the morning.. It’s also very constipating so drink lots of water and add extra fiber to your diet!”

Frizzelda86 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 25, 2020

For Anxiety: “I’ve been taking Atarax for about 4 years to help with Anxiety and Insomnia. This medication helps relive my sleep issues and definitely lowers my anxiety. I also take ashwagandha and practice yoga.”

Ji · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2019

For Sedation: “Took for chronic insomnia. It relaxed me a bit but not enough to sleep. Intensely foggy and hung over all the next day on low dose. Immediately discontinued.”

Pinkybrain December 21, 2019

For Anxiety: “I have been taking atarax for about 2 years now and I can honestly say it’s such a relief for my anxiety . The only thing about the medication is it doesn’t have a long effect like other medications . So I take this medication 3x a day . I suffer from PTSD and generalized anxiety disorder and my anxiety and worry is over the roof , when I take this medication it has a calming effect and I’m able to think logically and calm myself down if I start getting anxious . I have not gained weight on it I been in my weight loss journey with this medication and haven’t had a weight gain issue . I recommend this medication !”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 7, 2019

For Allergies: “This medicine had the exact reaction for me that I was being treated for- it made me itch on my neck. I feel like I can’t contain myself. Did anyone else have this problem?”

Cupcake November 3, 2019

For Anxiety: “I’ve been taking this medication Atarax for 4 years now, I take it for my severe panic and anxiety attacks it has helped me so much ! This medicine is wonderful! It’s a sedative that dr uses for patients after surgery or before ! Those who don’t really know about it here you go! Atarax (hydroxyzine) reduces activity in the central nervous system. It also acts as an antihistamine that reduces the natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing and runny nose, or hives on the skin. Atarax is used as a sedative to treat anxiety and tension! But it also helps me sleep at night when I feel a panic attack come on I take one and go to sleep witch that’s what I want thanks to this medicine!!!!”

Kitty October 3, 2019

For Allergic Urticaria: “I have been taking Atarax from last 3 years but it really makes me feel I have a lower level of conscious, I feel extremely sleepy, I feel as if I am high, not entirely in my senses, I do my work but I don't feel anything, I can sleep throughout the day after taking this medicine, although I don't sleep much. Today also I took this medicine after lunch as I developed hives due to cold urticaria ( AC in office ) and I feel as if I am stoned. People in my office are thinking that I am is sleeping for last two hours since they are not aware of my situation.”

Mlynn · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2019

For Anxiety: “I recently had anxiety trigger for me and I had a very scary panic attack that woke me from a dead sleep. My GP prescribed Atarax 10 mg form. I do not take anything regularly so I was a tad apprehensive. However I was reading and saw that people take much more higher doses on the medication, so I assumed it wasn’t going to work - wrong It takes a little bit to get the full effect but once it happens I was out like a light. I also woke up a little groggy, but my day has been better than ever. I slept finally fully and o didn’t have tightness of chest at work or during the day. 10mg is plenty and I didn’t have any weird dreams or side effects. I will say just having the bottle provided me calmness before I went to bed. I look forward to another night of rest.”

Details August 10, 2019

For Anxiety: “I’ve been taking atarax for anxiety after my doctor took me off clonopin. It is a hard battle I have with myself now, I am getting more panic attacks now but not as strong because of atarax it’s still hard especially when my panic attacks come at night now.”

Anonymous July 19, 2019

For Anxiety: “I love this medication!! I take it for PTSD related sleep disturbance. It literally cured my insomnia. It works like a charm and I only take it probably once a week now. It feels good just to have it as my security blanket though. It does make me feel a bit drowsy the next day but it’s so worth it to not have a night when I’m up until 3 am with insane anxiety. It’s also safe for people who are in recovery! Huge plus!”

lifes July 13, 2019

For Anxiety: “Atarax is very helpful with panic attacks, so far I take it only when I'm having panic attacks, not at a regular dose, it takes about 30-60 minutes to work and gives me a warm, safe, sleepy feeling.”

SoCal84 · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2019

For Anxiety: “I've been taking this medication for about a week now for severe anxiety and I will admit I can tell night and day when I take it (it works) however it makes me feel EXTREMELY fatigued. I could sleep all day when I take this stuff. Probably not the best solution for anyone with a lot of daily responsibilities. Other side effects I think have come along with it are dry mouth and increase in appetite. I don't remember being this hungry before. Would I recommend it? Ugh... I think the fact it eliminates my attacks pretty much all together is worth the cons I mentioned but I'm still gonna be trying some alternatives to see if theres something that doesn't make me feel as tired. Don't get me wrong, its not like you're gonna fall asleep out of the blue but once you do decide to sleep you're gonna wanna sleep way more than you need to.”

radha · Taken for less than 1 month May 15, 2019

For Allergies: “Atarax makes me drowsy and tired”

E · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2019

For Anxiety: “Helps with panic attacks except it makes me very irritable. It feels like I am going to snap soon”

JBreezy1 January 25, 2019

For Anxiety: “This should only be taken for acute anxiety. It’s extremely effective for stopping panic attacks and excessive worrying, but it is not good to take if you have to complete tasks. It utterly floors you. If you’ve experienced a traumatic event and do not mind being less functional, it will help greatly, especially if you want to get some sleep. But do not take this regularly before work or exercise. I’m a bodybuilder and run quite a lot, but I only take the medication afterward. I would not recommend long-term use, but I’ve been going on 5 years and it is still astoundingly effective when I start panicking and getting irritable. I usually just take it a couple hours before sleeping or earlier if I’m panicking. So, effective as hell, but floors you, but you will not be dysfunctional or overly foggy. It’s effectiveness is actually on par with Xanax, but there is no euphoria or risk for addiction, which is common in anxiety patients.”

This stuff is JUNK · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2019

For Anxiety: “I was prescribed this for anxiety, was SUPPOSED to take it 3 times a day or as needed, I took ONE pill at 7:30 pm and was in bed within the hour and slept till 9:30 am the next morning and the next day I just kept falling asleep all day! What makes me so mad is I told my doctor what worked for me and she INSISTED on giving me this sedative instead I was a stay at home mom to a child that was a year old at the time this was given to me and I told her this, knowing that she gave me a straight up sedative that she told me to take 3 times a day and at night to help me sleep, thats NOT what I needed needless to say I took one of these and never took another one. I have anxiety I don't need to be in a coma and I need something that will allow me to take care of my child, I have been on benzos for several years and NOTHING has ever put me out like this did. Do NOT take this and expect to function let alone take care of your kids especially if your at home ALONE!! Thanks but no thanks!!”

Apple · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 24, 2018

For Anxiety: “It works but the longer you take it the less it works for you.”

Savannah · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2018

For Allergies: “Prescribed Atarax for anxiety by my doctor after coming in for breathing difficulties. My lungs were doing their job but my anxiety made me feel like I couldn't get a breath. I took 25 mg when I got home and within an hour I felt immediately calm and sleepy. I am no longer gasping for air or panicking, but this stuff is strong and I slept for 12 hours (though I needed it because I didn't sleep much the night prior). Atarax is also an antihistamine, so my normally itchy skin is as calm as can be. 10/10. Works well. Wouldn't take everyday, as it makes me extremely sleepy.”