User Reviews for Atarax to treat Pruritus

Atarax has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 6 ratings for the treatment of Pruritus. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Atarax Rating Summary

8.2/10 average rating

Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Pruritus.

Cindy · Taken for 10 years or more March 1, 2020

“I have been taking 25 mg of Atarax up to four times a day for 30 years.. I was given this because of my constant itching and rashes. It has saved my life. I have allergy's to so many things. When I'm stung by an insect or come in contact with an allergy trigger I take a higher dose and it has saved me from using a epi pen. I also have used it to sleep. I don't have anxiety. Perhaps Atarax is why. I don't have trouble with sleepiness on the lower dose. So I function fine in the day time when I take it. Your body gets used to it.”

Sherryetal · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 9, 2020

“I take Atarax for pruritis in liver disease. It helps me tremendously! I do get sleepy as I take 50mg at bedtime and it’s a bit difficult to get going in the morning.. It’s also very constipating so drink lots of water and add extra fiber to your diet!”

Dawn2355 May 8, 2009

“It has the desired effect of stopping the itching in the night, but I cannot stay awake the following day. The drowsiness is almost impossible for me to cope with during the working week. I'm literally falling asleep at work (and I'm only taking half the dose).”

DanniBee March 27, 2014

“I frequently will experience itchiness all over my body & will break out in hives and can't stop the itching despite use of topical Benadryl etc. My doctor prescribed Atarax a few years ago & while it stops the itching in its tracks, I also sleep for an insane amount of time. Generally it's about 18 solid hours of drowsiness to the point I can't even keep myself awake for longer than 20 minutes. I absolutely hate it. An entire day totally wasted. I'm prescribed 25 mg every 6 hours as needed although I have never had to take a second dose within 24 hours.”

Kenya05 October 17, 2016

“I was prescribed this medication after a burn injury. My scars caused intensive itching! I was ordered to take two tablets by mouth four times a day as needed for itching. Initially after my accident the medicine helped. I didn't really notice the side effects because I was on pain medication as well. Now here we are six months after my accident. last night I had a really bad itching episode. I could not sleep. I decided to take the two Atarax. I slept through the entire night and the next day. I woke up to a text message after text message from coworkers and my boss wondering why I didn't show to work!”

alpha459 July 29, 2011

“This is the absolute best I've ever taken for an undiagnosed itchy rash on my skin which I have had for several years.”

Atopic Dermatitis April 6, 2009

“It really helped me stop itching from the atopic dermatitis. I had not slept for days. It does make you very sleepy at first, but then seems to make you less sleepy after awhile.”

RASCALFIRE June 19, 2009

“Worked well for hay fever related itching. ”