User Reviews for Atarax

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Atarax.

Atarax Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Atarax to treat Anxiety

"Have a great deal going on in my life and very anxiety driven. This helped calm me down without making me drowsy. I can sleep and I can relax and not worry about being so spun up. Recommend this drug since it is not habit forming."

Fun2drive (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doctor prescribed this to me as an alternative to lorazepam for anxiety. I was reluctant at first. Lorazepam works well for me, yet it is stigmatized by doctors. But it works just as well, if not better. Atarax is an antihistime. This means allergies are managed as well."

Mr Layne (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Its my first time using any sort of drug for anxiety. The doctor gave me a 10mg sized Atarax and it only made me feel sleepy. I still felt nervous and anxious over my work and these feelings didn't go away. Maybe I should be taking 25mg like the others here. Either way this 10mg capsules are suppose to last me until I go for my appointment with a professional pychiatrist."

Aryesi June 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed for anxiety, and instead it threw me into the worst full blown panic attack I have ever had.! Totally out of my mind!"

CMMAR (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Two 25mg doses, spread out, reduces anxiety for me, but it also can make me yawn and sleepy and I don't feel safe to drive for about an hour after taking the second dose. Given that I am over sensitive to Benzos this is one of the few anti-anxiety drugs I can take without being over sedated."

RobStein9064 November 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this medicine for 2 years now and it continues to work well against anxiety and panic attacks. I take a 25 mg pill per day. At first, I experienced slight drowsiness and wanted to sleep a lot, but after a few days these side effects went away completely. Skipping a dose won't affect me, but after skipping several doses once I felt nervous, irritated and had trouble sleeping. Overall, it's good and reliable."

crystaljuniper (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Don't take this drug !! It caused me to have horrendously bad dreams. They were terrifying. My anxiety has worsened by 100 percent. I'm fearful of going to sleep. I've not slept more than three hours a night for two weeks. Another side effect I experienced was hair loss and vertigo. Thanks to my " doctor " I have regular episodes of vertigo which I had never experienced in my life. Stay away from this drug !"

Esbet October 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been take Atarax 50's 3x's daily PRN.. I also take Ativan.. but only if absolutely needed.. I have found that Atarax helps me emensely (sp).. It doesn't make me tired or groggy anymore.. It just calms me down when having some anxiety or feeling out of sorts with my mood.. It does a good job at leveling me out"

Joshy1980 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It works very well for me as a rescue medicine. If taken mid panic attack it definitely helps to calm me; however, if I take it before I am going to be in a situation that I know will cause anxiety it doesn't have much of an effect to keep me from having an attack. It definitely makes me sleepy."

For the birds June 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Atarax taking 25mg up to 3x daily or as needed. The first few days it made me groggy and want to sleep and experience very vivid dreams and nightmares. After a few days the grogginess went away and it actually helped me function while having high anxiety and helped to calm me. I still experience nightmares more often than I'd like to but I'd rather be functioning daily so I keep taking it"

Happy4me May 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Really good!!!!! I like atarax. Because: not addictive, makes me calm (and sleepy), calms anger restlessness and anxiety altogether. I am also on cymbalta and without cymbalta the atarax would probably be less effective. Atarax is my go-to when im anxious and i love it:)"

Elliotndbfjf (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My GP prescribed this for anxiety and directed that I take it every 8 hours. Now I have dealt with anxiety and severe panic attacks need immediate relief. This medication was not the one to do that for me. It made me very drowsy and at the same time I still had anxiety. This is not for someone who has a busy schedule because it will sedate you. I think this medication should only be used for its initial intent to control itching. Otherwise it was a waste for me."

Lcowan7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Atarax for my anxiety disorder. It did not help at all & only made me so tired I couldn't function. Definitely a waste!"

Shannonbmomof3 (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took about 10 minutes to kick in. Felt like a total zombie all night, I was completely useless. The next day I was dizzy. Boo, atarax!"

Manda2814 February 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this for my anxiety disorder, and I'm really disappointed. It did absolutely nothing for me, which for obvious reasons, is frustrating in times of extreme anxiety. Taking a "rescue medication" and help never coming was hard for me personally. Others say it works great, but I suppose it depends on the person."

Alyabnormal (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this medication in the emergency room for the anxiety I was having. It did nothing for me. I'm bipolar plus I have anxiety. I'm looking for something new. I was on klonopin but was taken off of it because it's highly addictive. I had taken that for 24 years. That helped a lot. I'm disappointed that atarax didn't work."

Skinny girl February 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on 6 different medications for anxiety/depression/personality disorder. Have been for 7 years now. Atarax being the most recently added. Love it. I'm used to very strong medications and this one helps calm me without making me feel too tired"

6pillschick6 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Did absolutely nothing for me. If I could rate a 0 I would."

AustinRev3643 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Literally did nothing for my anxiety. Made me really sleepy but not sleepy enough to pass out. It just made me super sluggish."

sweetpjeb23 January 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This has made my anxiety worse. I feel this terrible high. I don't even feel like myself. My body is twitching and I been crying for 3 hours. It is really scaring me. I feel out of this world and not in a good way."

Kimmh00 January 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have anxiety and did not realise till I took only a 1/4 of my 25ml tab how much it was effecting me. Today I have felt more able and productive and had a day without anxiety feels amazing. I did have at least 2 memorable dreams that night. I have noticed a slight dry mouth and eyes. This being said I do have ckd and will be going back to docs to make sure kidneys are not being affected and also to ask for the liquid version of this as the other ingredients list more to my preference.... no colour additives from what I've read."

Clareclareclare January 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Calms and relaxes without grogginess"

Napitomalito (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Take the smallest dose possible! I took 50 mg of this and spent an entire day on the couch feeling dizzy and tired and completely wiped out. It was only until a family member commented on how my anxiety seemed to be better that I realized it was true. I asked my Dr for the smallest dose and 5 mg. It is enough to calm my anxiety and help me sleep without feeling uselessly tired. "

Mom2Angels (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take this for my extreme anxiety disorder. Just 25mg alone will knock me out for hours. Personally it causes me incredibly vivid dreams, a lot of the time they are nightmares. Not sure if it's connected to the medicine, or it's just me. I do wake up feeling an extreme hangover. But it works really well for my anxiety at 50mg."

Anonymous September 2, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I experience severe social and generalised anxiety. I was given 25mg of Atarax to take twice a day. I didn't feel it relieved my anxiety symptoms. It made me very sleepy. When I awoke in the morning I felt very groggy, constant yawning and didn't feel I could pay attention or properly, function at my job or get housework/errands done. I personally do not find Atarax helpful for anxiety."

shemightbelost (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2015