User Reviews for Atarax to treat Anxiety

Atarax has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 88 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 50% of those users who reviewed Atarax reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Atarax Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Atarax

Scared gurl April 23, 2021

“I’ve been prescribed this drug for over a year now. It does little to nothing for my anxiety. Many times it has actually sent me into panic attacks which is why I was prescribed it originally. My panic attacks have gone away thanks to a newly prescribed mood stabilizer (lamotrigine) however if I take the atarax to try and help me sleep it almost certainly will cause me to have an attack. It makes my chest feel heavy and makes it feel as if I’m having difficulty breathing. I wouldn’t recommend but I know it does work for some people. It helps to quiet my mind but has the opposite effect on my physically. Also causes hot flashes which trigger my panic attacks as well.”

Jake April 16, 2021

“Allergies, anxiety, pain, addiction”

Thatsityaknow · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2021

“So I started talking atarax after I went to the hospital with a horrible UTI that was making me incredibly anxious and nauseous. It worked great the first time they gave it to me, possibly because the symptoms were just then getting treated. Every time after has been terrible. I feel insanely weak, like bedridden almost. I’m always super dizzy/lightheaded and I feel like I’m not real if that makes sense. The dreams are too real, I’ve been waking up in my dreams so my tricks me to think I’m awake (I’ve never had this happen). I tried one more time today and it was all the same plus some good ol depression. I don’t recommend this unless it’s absolutely necessary :(”

Sleepymama · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 25, 2020

“The short version of my review: I love this medication. I was prescribed atarax at 35 weeks pregnant for insomnia and panic attacks/GAD. I was having crazy nightmares before I started taking it as well. The first few times I took it, it made me very tired but eventually that stopped happening- it makes it easy for me to fall asleep but not overly tired, and I’m not groggy in the morning. I have had to take it during the day for extreme anxiety or panic attacks and sometimes it slows me down a little but nothing crazy. I’m in recovery from drug addiction, so narcotic anxiety meds were not an option for me. I am so thankful I found this medication because it really helps me but doesn’t really give me any side effects. The one thing that I don’t like is that it makes me dizzy if I take it on an empty stomach, but usually I’ll just take it with a granola bar or yogurt and that’s enough to keep the dizziness at bay.”

Joso · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 23, 2020

“Had a few panic attacks shortly before my son was born. Went to a psychiatrist and they prescribed 50mg of Atarax. I found that a whole pills knocks me out and leaves me groggy for a few days but I cut the pill in half and it works great. Put you to sleep within a hour or so but the next day the tightness in my chest was gone and my anxiety was also gone. I only take it when the physical symptoms are too much and I can't enjoy life. I've had it the prescription for over a year and only taken it a half dozen times or so.”

Pinkybrain December 21, 2019

“I have been taking atarax for about 2 years now and I can honestly say it’s such a relief for my anxiety . The only thing about the medication is it doesn’t have a long effect like other medications . So I take this medication 3x a day . I suffer from PTSD and generalized anxiety disorder and my anxiety and worry is over the roof , when I take this medication it has a calming effect and I’m able to think logically and calm myself down if I start getting anxious . I have not gained weight on it I been in my weight loss journey with this medication and haven’t had a weight gain issue . I recommend this medication !”

Tori November 5, 2020

“Atarax works great for my anxiety! I was on Xanax for many years to treat my GAD. I stopped and started using Atarax, 25mg 3 times a day. It will make you sleepy, although for me, it’s way better than experiencing constant worry and anxiety.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2020

“My doctor prescribed the 10 mg dose of this medicine Atarax with the directions that I could take 1/2-1 tablet once daily for acute anxiety and 2-3 tablets at night for insomnia. I took 1/2 tablet for the first time around 6:15 pm and I was out cold by 7 pm. I slept until 7:45 am and had to get up for an appointment. I could barely drag myself out of bed and if I hadn’t only been going 2 miles from home, I wouldn’t have been able to drive myself. I came home and slept on and off til about 3 pm, when I finally started to feel more like normal. I guess you could say it helped my anxiety, because you can’t feel anxious if you’re unconscious! But there is no possible way I could ever take this medicine and go to work or get anything productive accomplished. I am going to hold on to it in case I have a major anxiety episode that I need to just sleep through, but at my follow up appointment I will definitely request that we try something else.”

meggix · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2020

“For me, Atarax works for anxiety! I've taken half a pill as needed for anxiety. I have GAD with panic attacks, and it calms me down. I will say though, on an empty stomach, it does make me dizzy. Overall really good med!”

Peaches · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2020

“Hydroxyzine 25mg, EQ Atarax. If your dr prescribes you Atarax for anxiety, tell them you’ve already taken it and all it does is make you sleepy. I had a hot flash within 20min of taking it, and my chest, dead in the center feels like someone is sitting on me. I slept for 12hrs and at times felt like I wasn’t breathing. Yea, maybe my anxiety did decrease, because I was asleep..... This is the WORST medication I’ve ever tried. I’d rather take Benadryl, at least I don’t get hot flashes with it.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

“Was prescribed 10mg Atarax tablets with directions to take 1-2 as every 6 hours as needed for anxiety and panic attacks. Taking 1 pill did nothing, so I took 2 the next time I felt anxiety creeping in. It made me very tired and dizzy, then sent me into a panic attack. I am better off not taking this medication when I feel anxiety coming on because it usually does not develop into a panic attack, let alone as worse as this one got.”

Cupcake November 3, 2019

“I’ve been taking this medication Atarax for 4 years now, I take it for my severe panic and anxiety attacks it has helped me so much ! This medicine is wonderful! It’s a sedative that dr uses for patients after surgery or before ! Those who don’t really know about it here you go! Atarax (hydroxyzine) reduces activity in the central nervous system. It also acts as an antihistamine that reduces the natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing and runny nose, or hives on the skin. Atarax is used as a sedative to treat anxiety and tension! But it also helps me sleep at night when I feel a panic attack come on I take one and go to sleep witch that’s what I want thanks to this medicine!!!!”

Nicole1881 September 10, 2014

“I have tried a lot of different medications for my anxiety, and nothing has ever worked, that is; until I was prescribed Atarax. I was going through some very, very stressful times and had to go on something. Nothing has ever helped me, not Paxil, Lexapro, Effexor, Zoloft. I know that is a lot of different ones! But this is spread out over many years of trying new ones, not one of them really worked for me, and I had lots of bad side effects from them. Atarax was one that I had never heard of, till the doctor prescribed it to me. Immediately it works. You take it, and within 30 mins it kicks in, and last for hours. You can take one or two at a time, every six hours. The only side effect is sleepiness, and I did experience this.”

waslosingit October 3, 2014

“Has changed my life. I didn't know how bad my anxiety was until I got relief from Atarax!! I don't even need anywhere near the full dose to relieve my constant building thoughts of what I should be doing or may not be able to do because of my other debilitating illnesses. I am so grateful!! I no longer feel constantly wound so tight I might snap!”

Mlynn · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2019

“I recently had anxiety trigger for me and I had a very scary panic attack that woke me from a dead sleep. My GP prescribed Atarax 10 mg form. I do not take anything regularly so I was a tad apprehensive. However I was reading and saw that people take much more higher doses on the medication, so I assumed it wasn’t going to work - wrong It takes a little bit to get the full effect but once it happens I was out like a light. I also woke up a little groggy, but my day has been better than ever. I slept finally fully and o didn’t have tightness of chest at work or during the day. 10mg is plenty and I didn’t have any weird dreams or side effects. I will say just having the bottle provided me calmness before I went to bed. I look forward to another night of rest.”

Yatescrossing · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 17, 2012

“I cold turkeyed off Xanax after 16 years of 1 mg a day. I had horrible withdrawal symptoms. At 4 months my MD (not the dr that suggested I go cold turkey) but the one that helped me through it, put me on Atarax, 10 - 25 mg as needed up to 100 mg a day. It really made a difference in my recovery. I take it as I need, or don't take it at all. It helps with the anxiety, nausea, shaking. I have been on it for 9 months now and really recommend people try it. ”

avanya82 March 20, 2008

“I take this along with Lexapro... I was having such hard times falling asleep due to nine million things going on through the day ... then the anxiety kicked in...sometimes I would be up for hours while everyone is sound to sleep...When I started taking this I fall asleep within thirty mins and usually sleep sound. It is not addicting... and good price for the good things the meds do.”

PriPre · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 27, 2015

“I experienced unremittently high anxiety for almost a year before trying this medication. Panic attacks at least every third day, sometimes more than once each day, so severe that I visited the ER at least twice a month. Xanax helped for a few days but after that just made things worse and caused withdrawal even when taken less often than prescribed, buspar did nothing at all, and Celexa barely helped. Finally a nurse gave me a sample of this medication. It was a miracle drug. After a month anxiety-free I was able to stop taking it and now feel great. Side effects were so mild compared to other medications I've tried that I did not even notice them. It works much better than Dramamine for nausea too though it does make you sleepy”

Harv · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 25, 2020

“I actually had it for both anxiety and allergy related itching, but it worked great for both. It helps well if your starting to have an anxiety attack or go through a trigger that you know may cause one. It does make you drowsy for a bit, but that's not much of a problem if you're a high tension sort of person. And if you're wondering which medicine to take for allergic itching. This is what you should take if you don't mind being drowsy cause it calms you down too unlike benadryl. But take claritin if you don't like being drowsy.”

CurlyHurly · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 25, 2020

“I was taking Atarax before going to sleep 5 years ago and taking sertraline (in the morning). Then one day I got mixed up took Atarax instead of sertraline (they look a like) I was ready to go to sleep in the middle of the mall. This drug made me very sluggish and just straight up sleepy. Wouldn't recommend operating while on it.”

JBreezy1 January 25, 2019

“This should only be taken for acute anxiety. It’s extremely effective for stopping panic attacks and excessive worrying, but it is not good to take if you have to complete tasks. It utterly floors you. If you’ve experienced a traumatic event and do not mind being less functional, it will help greatly, especially if you want to get some sleep. But do not take this regularly before work or exercise. I’m a bodybuilder and run quite a lot, but I only take the medication afterward. I would not recommend long-term use, but I’ve been going on 5 years and it is still astoundingly effective when I start panicking and getting irritable. I usually just take it a couple hours before sleeping or earlier if I’m panicking. So, effective as hell, but floors you, but you will not be dysfunctional or overly foggy. It’s effectiveness is actually on par with Xanax, but there is no euphoria or risk for addiction, which is common in anxiety patients.”

This stuff is JUNK · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2019

“I was prescribed this for anxiety, was SUPPOSED to take it 3 times a day or as needed, I took ONE pill at 7:30 pm and was in bed within the hour and slept till 9:30 am the next morning and the next day I just kept falling asleep all day! What makes me so mad is I told my doctor what worked for me and she INSISTED on giving me this sedative instead I was a stay at home mom to a child that was a year old at the time this was given to me and I told her this, knowing that she gave me a straight up sedative that she told me to take 3 times a day and at night to help me sleep, thats NOT what I needed needless to say I took one of these and never took another one. I have anxiety I don't need to be in a coma and I need something that will allow me to take care of my child, I have been on benzos for several years and NOTHING has ever put me out like this did. Do NOT take this and expect to function let alone take care of your kids especially if your at home ALONE!! Thanks but no thanks!!”

crystaljuniper · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 21, 2016

“I've been on this medicine for 2 years now and it continues to work well against anxiety and panic attacks. I take a 25 mg pill per day. At first, I experienced slight drowsiness and wanted to sleep a lot, but after a few days these side effects went away completely. Skipping a dose won't affect me, but after skipping several doses once I felt nervous, irritated and had trouble sleeping. Overall, it's good and reliable.”

Details August 10, 2019

“I’ve been taking atarax for anxiety after my doctor took me off clonopin. It is a hard battle I have with myself now, I am getting more panic attacks now but not as strong because of atarax it’s still hard especially when my panic attacks come at night now.”

Anonymous July 19, 2019

“I love this medication!! I take it for PTSD related sleep disturbance. It literally cured my insomnia. It works like a charm and I only take it probably once a week now. It feels good just to have it as my security blanket though. It does make me feel a bit drowsy the next day but it’s so worth it to not have a night when I’m up until 3 am with insane anxiety. It’s also safe for people who are in recovery! Huge plus!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2012

“Although this medicine does work as described its response time to panic outbreak is not fast. It takes about 45 minutes for the feeling of dread or mania to subside. To go further the feeling is still there but it blocks the mind from reacting irrationally to the racing thoughts. I gave this medicine an 8 not a 10 because of the reaction time. So far all medications in this class have made me tired. I like this one because I have had no side effects or cross interactions with other medications.”

AnxietyDude · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 16, 2014

“This medicine does what it's supposed to do. A 50mg capsule usually is enough to dispel panic attacks and return me to baseline. I don't take any more because I can't deal with the drowsiness during the day and I take something else for sleeping at night. No benzodiazepine-like euphoria, just simple no-frills relief.”

Storken October 19, 2013

“I have general anxiety disorder and I'm prone to panic attacks. Being afraid of benzo and it's addictiveness, I got this prescribed. So far it has worked great if I take 2 pills at once, and the effect lasts for about 10 hours. I haven't really felt the hangover part people talk about, nor have I experienced headaches. The only thing I really have to complain about is that the breathing can get almost too relaxed at times, so when I fall asleep I wake up with a shortness of breath, as if my lungs forgot to inhale. It's no big deal though, happens maybe 3 times a night and it wakes me up. And I guess it would be nice to have a pill that takes away anxiety but doesn't make you tired (I sleep like a baby after 30 minutes after taking atarax)”