User Reviews for Plaquenil to treat Sjogren's Syndrome

Plaquenil has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 21 ratings for the treatment of Sjogren's Syndrome. 57% of those users who reviewed Plaquenil reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Plaquenil Rating Summary

6.7/10 average rating

Compare all 5 medications used in the treatment of Sjogren's Syndrome.

Reviews for Plaquenil

SSSufferer · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 27, 2021

“No side effects, but no apparent benefit, either. I quit when my ophthalmologist told me it can cause optic nerve damage and that anyone taking it should be given a retinal examination every six months -- which the rheumatologist who prescribed it wasn't doing.”

RON RFD · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 31, 2020

“helps a little bit, maybe 40 to 50%, did not help dry eye or very dry skin and itching of arms and legs”

Pj · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 13, 2020

“I didn't have any side effects. I have been on for 1 year ad 4 months. I'm not sure it Is helping. Still have horrible dry month and eyes, Leg muscle pain, itchiness.”

lwinslow · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 2, 2013

“Before Plaquenil, I would be in bed for days at a time, unable to move, excessive pain, ice cold, migraines, the whole gamut. My body felt ancient. At first the rheumatologist thought I had leukemia, then Lupus and rheumatoid athritis and finally biopsies started giving us a more refined treatment plan. With this medicine, I am in much less pain. I can walk for an hour at a time. I can shop for groceries again. I feel like I have a life again. I have had brief periods, never more than a month without it, and I know that life without the benefit of Plaquenil is no life at all. Yes, I have to see the retina specialist but in all this time, my eyes are fine. Don't hesitate to try it even though new treatments can be scary!”

Ohsooz · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 16, 2014

“I was diagnosed with Sjogrens Syndrome 3 months ago. I also have rheumatoid Arthritis and Hashimotos. My rheumatologist prescribed Plaquenil in hopes to control all 3 conditions. I would say that Plaquenil has basically given me my life back. I suffer from debilitating joint pain, fatigue, brain fog and extreme anxiety. I had to quit working because as a high school teacher, brain fog and anxiety, are probably 2 of the worst things you should be dealing with when dealing with teenagers. I would give Plaquenil a 10, but I haven't been on it long enough to see the full effects. I continue to have more energy every day, I'm back to walking, as exercise, again and my joint pain is very well controlled.”

pjtremblay September 11, 2011

“This medicine has changed my life. I'm a nurse with primary Sjogren's Syndrome. It took 10 years for a diagnosis and another 10 years for a rheumatologist to prescribe Plaquenil. I have never felt so good. Minimal joint point, lots of energy, able to sleep at night, what could be better! I was able to complete an eye exam for the first time in 9 years. I'm enjoying life pain free and with energy!”

Lumiya June 3, 2011

“When I was diagnosed with Sjogren's it was advised I start taking Plaquenil. I avoided it for months because I felt I had enough symptoms already without any side effects from medication. However it became quickly apparent that the fatigue and pain were not going to allow me to continue working being in my twenties at the time, this was NOT an option so I gave in and gave the Rheumatologist my consent. 6 years later, I have no complaints. I work full time and on the occasions that I forget to take my Plaquenil for a day or two, I notice a substantial difference; pain, unbearable fatigue, etc. and overall being unable to find energy enough to live my daily life. I am completely derailed without it.”

Taylor · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 20, 2019

“I’ve been on plaquenil 400mg once a day for 6 months now due to Sjogrens. If your are wondering how long the plaquenil takes to work, it took about 3 months before I starting feeling better. Now at 6 months I’m noticing more symptoms. I have a rash on my arms and my face feels like it’s burning but I don’t have a sunburn or anything. I’ve also noticed my eyebrows look like I have bleached them.”

jjmcc367 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 3, 2015

“It also took ten years to diagnose correctly. At first I took 2- 200 mgs of Plaquenil and it gave me an irregular heartbeat. Discontinued for a few weeks, then rheumy asked me to try again, one 200 mgm every other day. After six weeks had improvement in CRP and sed rate, even though the doc didn't expect any improvement on that low dose. Then he increased me to one pill each day. It did increase my migraines so he said to take it before bedtime with anti-anxiety drug. Side effect.....sleeping much better.....wonderful side effect. Occasionally I have to take Tylenol during night if headache wakes me up. Now I realize my extreme dry mouth seems slightly improved. Joint pain and foot pain is much better. HAPPY!”

reme June 7, 2014

“I am only on Plaquenil a month now for primary Sjogren's Syndrome having been diagnosed in Jan 2014. So far I am feeling much better in that I am sleeping so much better. Before taking medication I would wake 5/6 times a night and found it difficult to go back to sleep now I only wake up once and go back almost immediately. This is the first thing that I have noticed and I know it is very early days as my Rheumatologist said it can take 2 months before any results.”

Anonymous February 26, 2012

“It has taken about 6 weeks for this medicine to work, the benefits have been subtle. I noticed that I have been able to do more, get out more and have even cut back on a dose of painkillers, my head is clearer - I just sort of feel different, not miraculously different or anything, but just more my normal self. I am still severely allergic to the sun or any UV exposure and can be sick for days if I am not careful or if I do too much but I do believe the Plaquenil has helped and I have been on it for 2 months now so look forward to further benefits from this medicine. Only side effects are erratic blood sugar, if I don't eat regularly I go hypo - badly hypo, although my doctor said he has never heard of this, so perhaps it isn't related.”

nanfor April 25, 2011

“I have been on Plaquenil 200 mg twice a day for 6 years and it has helped me tremendously. I couldn't get up from a chair or close my fists after being diagnosed with primary Sjogrens Syndrome. It took about a year, and I'm 90 % better. I am very careful to have a thorough eye exam every year to monitor potential ocular side effects. It is worth a try and the side effects are definitely less than long term steroid use.”

Sjogren's Sufferer · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 23, 2013

“I have been on Ranbaxy generic Plaquenil for 11 months now. I don't think think it helps me very much, but I continue to take it because I am not experiencing any side effects. My condition is not well-controlled with this drug alone and I will soon start an additional DMARD after recently finding out I am intolerant of MTX. My battle with Sjogren's has been so much more than glandular issues. It has attacked my biliary system, causing me to lose my gall bladder and have complex issues with the pyloric valve, lower esophageal sphincter and sphincter of oddi. This causes a variety of symptoms such as bile and acid reflux, bile salt diarrhea, nausea, vomiting up bile and right upper quadrant abdominal pain. I have signs of kidney disease too”

SheriShort December 4, 2011

“Plaquenil has given me back my quality of life. I think I've been on it for about 3 years now. However, I've recently stopped taking it as I am having flashes in one eye and don't have the money to see a retina specialist - or an eye Dr. for that matter. Now that I have stopped the medication, I am back to having constant pain throughout my body - especially in my joints...and in my bones, and I am exhausted and sleep a lot without feeling rested. As soon as I get my eyes checked and if my exam shows good results, I will be back on Plaquenil immediately.”

Babycakes1949 · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 9, 2016

“I have been on Plaquenil for several years , first the generic Plaqenil has no coating to protect your stomach lining. If you have side affects first try brand . I know Dr. s Say there is no difference ."But" composition of the drug may not affect the effectiveness of drug but it will affect the way it is absorbed in your system. Which will affect your side affects.”

SeattleN · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 21, 2015

“I have been on this medication for approximately 8 years. Before I started this medicine I was in terrible shape. With Sjogren's syndrome as my primary autoimmune disease and rheumatoid arthritis as my secondary autoimmune disease I was in terrible persistent pain, had terrible joint ache and was incapacitated for about four months before finally being diagnosed and given this. Along with steroids, this medicine, and some regular doses of ibuprofen I found I was able to be mobile again, to go back to work and have a quality life again. I have not found that being on the same the dosage has lessened it's effectiveness over the last 8. During major flares especially, it would be near impossible to have a good, healthy life.”

Anonymous January 5, 2012

“I have taken Paquenil for approximately 9 months and have started getting red peeling sores on my legs, thought it was psoriasis, but now I am unable to show my legs because the sores are so many. Stopped taking medicine for the past week, will be going to the doctor today.”

Anonymous October 10, 2011

“Was diagnosed with Sjogrens syndrome several years ago and prescribed Plaquenil. While taking Plaquenil I had no difference in my symptoms. After doing years of research I believe that I may have been misdiagnosed and actually have a parasitic infection (not malaria)!”

maggiesmeds September 3, 2011

“Almost a complete turn around from three years ago - fatigue still a factor at times as well as muscle pain but NOTHING compared to what it was like before taking it.”

Stacey333 February 10, 2017

“This was not the answer for me, I developed a bad rash and itching over my entire body and now my ears ring and that will never go away. Just from taking it for under a month.”

Anonymous January 22, 2010

“Helps with the fatigue but turned my hair orange!”

Godfrey · Taken for 10 years or more September 1, 2018

“Did not help me. It gave me nightmares.”

Anonymous March 31, 2011

“I have seen no benefits from this medication after months of use. My migraines have increased to almost daily now and have also increased in their intensity. ”

Learn more about Sjogren's Syndrome