User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 118 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Guaifenesin Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 696 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Guaifenesin to treat Cough

"Did not thin out mucus of cough from severe sinus infection Did make me bring it up though"

bunnee1934 June 6, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I took this attempting to get rid of a cough and chest congestion. I am a 105lb 30 year old female. I took one pill yesterday and felt a little better. That was a half does so today I tried 2 pills, a full dose. After feeling nauseous for several hours I finally threw up several times and am feeling much better. I will not be taking it again, and would rather allow the congestion to run its course."

Puppyloveg (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I was suffering from a severe virus-caused sore throat with terrible coughing. My PCP advised me to take Mucinex but at substantially greater dosage than the package recommends. I did so for about 3-4 weeks. The medication did help relieve my coughing, but it interfered so badly with my sleep that I had to discontinue taking it. I notice that other people have experienced sleep problems with Mucinex. There should be a warning about this on the package label."

Captain Jerry May 15, 2016

"So thankful I purchased, started taking at the first of trouble, and my cough is barely evident. Makes me pee every hour, cause I'm drinking plenty of water , and i think that's why I'm not coughing to much."

Sweetpea Kee (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I would give this a zero out of ten if it was possible. I rarely get sick but I have been having a lot of trouble with a runny nose and coughing up mucus. This "medicine" doesn't do anything. Not only does it taste terrible but it's useless. Followed instructions and I'm on day 7 with the same problems. Avoid this stuff"

sy91 (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2016

"helped a bit"

TUCKERDB (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "One of the best thing for coughs. The Mucinex DX green does a great job of thinning mucus as well as stopping cough. The blue is good for colds and allergies without cough. I prefer the 600 mg tables. For me, they wear off after five hours. Take with a lot of water. The more water the better it works. 16ozs every 90 minutes makes it work the best."

EricfromNC (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

Liqufruta Garlic Cough Medicine (guaifenesin): "Best cough medicine ever! Fantastic taste too."

Bert the Cert November 12, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I swear by this stuff. (I'm talking about Musinex's version of TheraFlu, it's fairly new-maybe last year it was put on the shelves) I have tried nearly every cold remedy in the history of the world from teas to drugs to more wholesome remedies but nothing has actually ever worked. This stuff actually reduces the duration of my colds and the severity of colds within the first day. Drink it in the morning and once before bed and you should be golden in 2 days. I'm more of that summertime cold-getter and it works like magic every time."

HaleyR October 28, 2015

"no help whatsoever. I read in the old AMA Drug Evaluation Guide that it was found be no better than a placebo in blinded trials."

exon33 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2015

"I have been suffering from a severe sinus infection for 6 weeks. Antibiotics twice, 3 trips to Dr. When I was at my sickest, I was using MucinexD and it may have helped some. I felt so bad then I don't know that I would have noticed side effects. But weeks later, I was still having so much thick drainage and light headed in my throat that my Dr. told me to switch to the Mucinex (plain) thinking it was the pseudoephedrine that was causing the vertigo. My vertigo worsened and I never even thought of the medication being the cause because the Dr. had said I would be fine without the pseudoephedrine in it. Went to ER when my vertigo became alarming. All tests negative. After all that I found I am allergic to Guaifenesin."

k9odyssey (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2015

"Initially it seemed to work wonders, but I cough when I really do not need to do so. I cannot get any sleep, I am nervous, and I been thinking I am going nuts!! I am stopping it immediately. It clears up the mucus but the side effects are horrible."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I have been taking Mucinex for about 5 months.... one in a.m. and another at 8pm. I took it because I could not swallow any phlegm and it was difficult coughing it up. My esophagus muscles are very weak and the phlegm would block my air waves. Recently I have developed severe dry mouth as a side affect. I stopped the p.m. pill, and use biotene gel, toothpaste and mouth rinse.... still no relief. If anyone has had this problem, please let me know."

Mattie138 March 24, 2015

"Recently I had a horrible head cold, it wasn't serious enough to see a doctor so I started taking Mucinex D. The second day I took the pill I noticed I was on the drowsy side and my urine was foul smelling. I took it for three days, about two hours into taking the third pill I started to get leg cramps and horrible abdominal pains that lasted for almost another 24 hours. The pain was awful and made me very nervous. My cold symptoms had subsided, so yes it does work but the side effects were awful."

BriellaD February 3, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Had a terrible dry cough and Mucinex helped break the cough. It was easier for me to cough up my phlegm."

Anonymous January 4, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "My cough was so bad that I now have an umbilical hernia but the Mucinex worked. I only took it in the morning because it did cause sleeplessness."

agrum December 31, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I've been up for hours throwing up and diarrhea after taking this."

Anonymous October 20, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "After all the treatments I had from the doctor, nothing really suppressed the cough, which I have had for years. After taking Mucinex, my cough and the associated Phlegm has almost disappeared. I am a 74 yr old male but my side effects seem to be the opposite to others. i.e. I am doing more sleeping than normal, at any time night or day, but thank heavens for the cessation of cough."

jimbob 97683 October 15, 2014

"I'm to take it regularly. I soon found out that it makes my urine smell. While that may not be too bad a deal, it also seems to make me slightly incontinent. A bad combination. It also generally makes me weak and drowsy."

bj 305 September 23, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "The side effect was sleeplessness. First night, I was up until 4:00 AM, next night up until 07:00AM and again last night I could not sleep. I was taking the Mucinex as prescribed every 12 hours."

Dilli (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I had runny nose, blocked ears, headache, sore throat with mucus, Its great! I took one pill and saw relief, so 4 hours later I took the second one. Now I am wide awake. It's almost 4 am. Take it earlier."

Sickgranny June 9, 2013

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Works ok, but for serious cough problems get prescription level medicine. Does help bring up phlegm. drink lots of water, will help bring up the mucus faster."

Lar999 June 7, 2013

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Actually I was using Mucinex to control a nagging night time cough. Although I had extreme pain in my ankles and legs EVERY SINGLE DAY, I never dreamed that Mucinex would have any effect as to helping that. I took a dose of the Mucinex FastMax just before I went to bed and WOW, no cough AND no leg pain at all that night, at last I was pain free! I know it had to be the Mucinex because absolutely nothing else had made a difference! I will keep some on hand to use from now on. I hope this helps someone else also. Thank you."

sutraquio (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2013

"Worked wonders for helping upper airway congestion! HOWEVER extreme disturbing dreams felt like I was going crazy! Dizzy and scatter brained, this was about 10 hours after taking 1."

LG131 January 28, 2013

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I was advised by a screening nurse to take Mucinex for a particularly persistent cough with a lot of phelgm. After about a week of taking Mucinex, my cough was slightly better, but I noticed that my endometriosis had subsided! I have been suffering from endometriosis for the past 20 years...tried eveything (Nafarelin, birth control bills, laparoscopic surgery, pregnancy, Lupron depot, ovariohysterectomy) and nothing helped the pain...I felt like my urinary bladder was under constant pressure and the only relief was immediately after urinating, but the pain would immediately return. I saw several urologists and they tried treating me for overactive bladder and interstitial cystitis, but the only definitive diagnosis was endometriosis."

Grateful in Fremont March 4, 2012