User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 119 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Guaifenesin Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 591 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Guaifenesin to treat Cough

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Out of a dozen over the counter and homebrew/natural remedies for persistent cough (which lasted well after any other symptoms of the cold virus/mild flu that I experienced a month or more ago) that I tried, Mucinex DM is the only one to give me any real relief from an urge to cough thru the day. I sleep just fine but don't feel anything like post nasal drip, or acid reflux or any obvious culprit. I did go to the clinic that I could afford to, got a shot, an inhaler and an antibiotics script. That worked a bit, for about a week, but when the cough came back, Mucinex did just about the same job. Not a perfect solution by any means but when I compared it to the other brands of things tried it was fine"

AnonymousScott October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I had a Cough, runny nose, allergies, Then lungs got congested and major wheezing. Normally I will just take cetirizine when its allergy season, but this time my chest was in play. I looked all over the house for my bottle of Mucinex. Couldn't find it. I suffered for a couple of days with a nasty cough and gook in my lungs trying to sleep and make it through the day. After realizing I left it at our 2nd home I headed for the store. Bought the 1200mg time release (1st time), usually, I would get the 600mg. Within an hour the wheezing stopped. I am writing this comment because it works fabulously for me. I have told many of my friends and it has worked for them. Not one complaint. When I have chest congestion I will always take Mucinex. It truly works. For those that say it doesn't work, I find that hard to believe."

Matteo B (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I have taken Mucinex for many years with no ill effects, but during this latest bout with chest congestion, when I took it , each of the three times, I experienced horrible, horrible nightmares. My adult daughter had a similar experience when taking it a few months ago. Was this a new "batch" of ingredients or were alternatives used? I have no idea what might have caused this reaction, but I am very wary of trying it again."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took mucinex when I had a really nasty chest cold . Medicine worked great except for the fact that I'm allergic to guaifenesin . I didn't know that at the time . I had really horrible chest and upper shoulder pain . Also rapid heart beat . I felt like I was dying. It lasted for about 20 min and then everything was normal again ."

Jackie80f July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tried several consecutive doses of guaifenesin syrup as an expectorant in the later stages of a cold. It may have lessened coughing slightly for a couple of hours after each dose (hard to tell). Definitely no detectable effect on the amount or consistency of the mucus I coughed up. But the syrup does taste very much like medicine, so the placebo effect is great!"

John Spluddle (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After one dose of mucinex, I experienced muscle cramps of my legs all night long,, the worst cramps of lower extremities I have ever had.."

SAGEROONI (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I took one and I feel like I'm high. I am so dizzy I can't see straight I feel like I'm floating. There is no way am I taking this again."

Super dizzy never again May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began with a sudden onset of mild, moving to severe lung congestion. I hacked and coughed so hard that I would gag. It wouldn't loosen or become what Dr. 's call productive no matter what OTC cough medicine I took. My Dr then put me on Guaifenesin and literally after the 1st dose, I could cough the gunk in my lungs up and out. I could actually lay flat again without chest pain and coughing fits. I noticed something else.... I have Fibromyalgia and was diagnosed in 1992. Idk if it was a coincidence or not, but my Fibro pain lessened!? I called my Rhuematologist and told him and he told me this was NOT a coincidence at all, and they used this medication as FM treatment years ago with success! I will forever take 600 mg!!"

Mama knows (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Mucinex DM worked as advertised. It gets the job done after about 3-4 days of taking it."

Anthony M (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Gave me diarrhea, dizziness, nausea, stomach cramps, and even some numbness in tongue/face. Worse than the cough. Never again."

Jo731 January 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex Maximum Strength (guaifenesin): "Have COPD and am taking this for mucus and cough every 4 hours. Can't swallow pill so taking liquid. The taste is so strong it sometimes makes me cough forever. Can a small amount of water be added to dose?"

zelta January 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "The doctor gave me a sample of this when I complained of congestion. I took two tablets, which may have been too much since I developed the runs. I'll try it again, but only one tablet. Or, I may just get Robitussin since the doctor said that Mucinex is a magnified version of Robitussin."

CongestedKelley December 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I had a bad chest infection and even after potent antibiotics took care of the infection I had a rattling cough and low grade fever My doctor Rxd Mucinex and I could not believe how well it broke up the congestion in my chest, made it easier for me to cough it all up As a result I finally got rid of the low grade fever also Finally, Guafenesin has been around forever as a remedy for fibromyalgia"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Not long after taking my first dose of extra strength benylin for a persistant cold/respiratory infection, I became so dizzy I couldn't stand up and had to lie down. I closed my eyes and nodded off and woke up a while later feeling a little woozy but not dizzy. My head hurt the rest of the day. Did seem to help bringing up phlegm that afternoon. I think I would take a half dose next time."

Kweh (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "This doesnt help at all I bought it or 4 yr old daughter and each time she took it the cough worsened I wouldn't recommend it to anyone."

All12 September 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Liqufruta Garlic Cough Medicine (guaifenesin): "I've been using this since I was a child for relief of coughs and colds. It really is the best cough medicine ever!"

Micielo September 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Did not thin out mucus of cough from severe sinus infection Did make me bring it up though"

bunnee1934 June 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I took this attempting to get rid of a cough and chest congestion. I am a 105lb 30 year old female. I took one pill yesterday and felt a little better. That was a half does so today I tried 2 pills, a full dose. After feeling nauseous for several hours I finally threw up several times and am feeling much better. I will not be taking it again, and would rather allow the congestion to run its course."

Puppyloveg (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I was suffering from a severe virus-caused sore throat with terrible coughing. My PCP advised me to take Mucinex but at substantially greater dosage than the package recommends. I did so for about 3-4 weeks. The medication did help relieve my coughing, but it interfered so badly with my sleep that I had to discontinue taking it. I notice that other people have experienced sleep problems with Mucinex. There should be a warning about this on the package label."

Captain Jerry May 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So thankful I purchased, started taking at the first of trouble, and my cough is barely evident. Makes me pee every hour, cause I'm drinking plenty of water , and i think that's why I'm not coughing to much."

Sweetpea Kee (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I would give this a zero out of ten if it was possible. I rarely get sick but I have been having a lot of trouble with a runny nose and coughing up mucus. This "medicine" doesn't do anything. Not only does it taste terrible but it's useless. Followed instructions and I'm on day 7 with the same problems. Avoid this stuff"

sy91 (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2016

"helped a bit"

TUCKERDB (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "One of the best thing for coughs. The Mucinex DX green does a great job of thinning mucus as well as stopping cough. The blue is good for colds and allergies without cough. I prefer the 600 mg tables. For me, they wear off after five hours. Take with a lot of water. The more water the better it works. 16ozs every 90 minutes makes it work the best."

EricfromNC (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Liqufruta Garlic Cough Medicine (guaifenesin): "Best cough medicine ever! Fantastic taste too."

Bert the Cert November 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I swear by this stuff. (I'm talking about Musinex's version of TheraFlu, it's fairly new-maybe last year it was put on the shelves) I have tried nearly every cold remedy in the history of the world from teas to drugs to more wholesome remedies but nothing has actually ever worked. This stuff actually reduces the duration of my colds and the severity of colds within the first day. Drink it in the morning and once before bed and you should be golden in 2 days. I'm more of that summertime cold-getter and it works like magic every time."

HaleyR October 28, 2015