User Reviews for Zoladex

Zoladex has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 71 ratings on Drugs.com. 55% of those users who reviewed Zoladex reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Endometriosis
6.5
Summary of Zoladex reviews 6.6 71 reviews

Reviews for Zoladex

Channtelle99 June 2, 2021

For Endometriosis: “So I have been struggling with endometriosis since I was 16 years of age and have had the “invisible” disease that was left undiagnosed with endometriosis. I have been suffering for years and have really been on so many trials, zoladex was my last resort. I have only been on it once and there is still severe clotting, heavy bleeding, painful cramps that never go away and it’s constantly me crying in a ball. If anything I’m not going back on this again, I know I’ve only had it once but it’s not helping me at all. I’ve had no morphine to help, no laparoscopy that would help. I have been trembling and crying since last week, been feeling nauseas, angered, tearful, depressed, change of appetite and as someone who has such a short temper it makes my temper worse.”

daspiyali · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 30, 2021

For Endometriosis: “Hello, Due to endometriosis and adenomyosis I had undergone surgery before 2 months of starting my Zoladex 3.6 mg for 3 months. Most important, after taking the first injection of it my bleeding continued for 15 days and i was feeling just restless during this time as it was so heavy and unmanageable. My instructor advised me not to take "Pause" to stop it as its main activity is to wash all blood and extra tissues which were not possible to remove during surgery. Now I will take my 3rd injection but since then I had no periods. Hot flashes are quite normal and manageable.”

Joy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 23, 2021

For Bleeding Disorder: “Years of heaving bleeding. It got to the point of me collapsing in a pool of blood and being rushed into hospital a few times on blood transfusions. Fibroids were the cause . I started on Zoladex August 2020 only 1 positive is no bleeding . I can go on forever the list of negatives . Depression, looking 9 months pregnant for the last 9 months even though I'm not . Hot sweats that are so bad at night that I sleep with a fan on full and cut off my long hair to cope. I have itchy lumpy skin all over . Feeling tired, no infection exhausted, due my 10th zoladex and still waiting for a full hysterectomy. Apparently the list is long I'm on category 2 which is urgent. I can't see an end to this nightmare. I am hoping for surgery soon and get my slim body back and live life again.”

Jess · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 21, 2020

For Endometriosis: “I was worried about using zoladex when suggested by my gynaecologist as I had read a lot about the negative side effects. I felt I needed to share my experience as I have suffered terribly with endo for over 15 years and had debilitating pain daily for the last 4 of those. Zoladex is the first and only thing that has ever worked in relieving me of my crippling endo symptoms. Whilst on Zoladex I have no flair ups, no pain, no periods (so no heavy blood loss), no fatigue and no head fog. It's been so amazing for me, that I want to shout it from the roof tops! I must advise though that after the first month on zoladex I started getting very intense hot flushes and some insomnia - but I was then prescribed Livial to take along side the zoladex and now I feel amazing! the hot flushes ceased as soon as i started taking Livial and I just wish I could take this combination forever, and am dreading the day I have to come off Zoladex, as I'd forgotten how wonderful it is to feel healthy.”

AMJR August 12, 2016

For Endometriosis: “I took this drug for three months (one injection per month) following a laparoscopy to remove scars and endiometrosis. I read about the reviews (gaining weight ,etc) and was really nervous but I just wanted to tell everyone taking this treatment to not worry about the side effects. The only side effect I had was a heavy period at first (nothing scary) and then I had hot flashes and some night sweats but nothing unbearable. Get a small pijama (shorts and tank top) to avoid feeling so hot at night. Emotionally I was ok and lost weight !!! I actually gained 4 pounds after the treatment when my ovaries reactivated. During this treatment I exercised a lot, ate well and tried to stay relaxed. Please do not be scared of using this medication...”

Nats · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 12, 2019

For Endometriosis: “I was diagnosed with endometriosis aged 19, I am now 43, I've had 2 laps, laser. My gynaecologist told me I would never have children, I went on to have 3 boys! I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago, oophectomy with cyst 2 years ago and 2nd oophectomy with cyst 1 year ago, 3 ops in the last 3 years ! (I wanted a total hysterectomy but my obstetrician refused) my endo is worse than ever, please think twice before having a hysterectomy as like my case it doesn't cure endo! I now have severe endo all over my bowel and still growing! They refuse to operate anymore as I've had too many ops, I'm now trying zoladex, the depression and mood swings are really bad! The worst part of endo is it's the 'invisible' illness, I feel no one cares because your leg isn't falling off or you haven't got a plaster cast anywhere.”

MariaEncarnita May 24, 2014

For Endometriosis: “I had endometriosis and adenomyosis and suffered from severe pains and heavy bleeding. I used to end up in the hospital because the pains were unbearable. They used to give me morphine and other strong painkillers. I was advised to have hysterectomy but I had decided to try Zoladex. After 2 injections within 3 months, my period became painless and the bleeding became lighter. I haven't been to the hospital for period problems for nearly 2 years now and the lump in my uterus ( adenomyosis) which I could feel on my lower stomach disappeared. I would like to share this because Zoladex really helped me and cured me and have avoided to have hysterectomy.”

Princess November 26, 2019

For Endometriosis: “Zoladex was my life saver, I was due for hysterectomy in March because I had severe endometriosis, multiple fibroids and bleeding disorder. My gyn decided to put me on zoladex for 6 months after my key hole surgery in order to shrink the womb, fibroids and manage my Endo condition to make my upcoming surgery easy for them as all reproductive organs were glued together due to Endometriosis. But surgery was cancelled as my condition improved. No periods for 13 months, never felt so good in 18 years, celebrated menopause and bang, period showed up but so manageable as I had slight cramps on first day and no pains till now on my 3rd. Normal bleeding unlike the previous flooding I use to have. Hoping to go for more shots after my period as I pray my gyn will continue zoladex on me. Yes I experienced menopausal symptoms but was happy with them all as I preferred the hot flushes and co to loosing so much blood from endometriosis pains and blood loss. Thank you God, I believe I now have a life.”

ernst1930 · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 30, 2012

For Prostate Cancer: “In January 2009 - My Prostate Cancer had metastasised into both ischia (Pelvis). My PSA was 33. I was prescribed Casodex as a forerunner to Zoladex LA (to avoid Tumour Flare. I was then lucky because I managed to rid myself of the Secondary Cancer by June 2009. I had altogether 15 implants of Zoladex LA over the last 3¼ years - and after my bone scan still showed "Image Clear" - my Urologist allowed me to discontinue any future treatment for the time being - but - keeping a careful watch my PSA (which most recently was down at 0.270) and the Testosterone level - (down at 0.2). I am now in my 5th week since the end of the last of the 12-week cycle and I am due to have a Blood test in 3 days' time. I felt very little side effects any time.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 13, 2019

For Endometriosis: “I was on Zoladex for Endometriosis for 3 months. The pain has almost gone. No major side effects except hot flushes. Approx about 1-2 an hour which affects me especially at night. Low mood now and then and slight weight gain which can be fixed with exercise. All symptoms were manageable and worth it for no pain.”

Dlanor · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 16, 2014

For Prostate Cancer: “I had very aggressive prostate cancer that lead to a radical prostatectomy but they didn't get all the cancer. Seven weeks of radiation and the PSA was down to .04. It crept up slowly but when it started doubling ever 2-3 months I was put on Zoladex. Although I have hot flushes and am struggling to maintain fitness and strength the side effects are minor compared to dying of cancer! My PSA has now dropped back to undetectable.”

Jacinabox · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 20, 2020

For Endometriosis: “After being diagnosed with stage 4 endo and fibroids, my OBGYN started 6 months of zoladex. I was told it would be a good month before I felt any difference- but I had the hot flushes come on after about 7 days. The overall effects were amazing. No heavy bleeding and clotting, and no pain which would normally totally disable me. The side effects I experienced were intense. Hot flushes every 40 minutes, I just wanted to strip off. Interrupted sleep, teeth pain, joint pain... After 3 months I called my obgyn who is a fantastic man and he sent me a script for a tiny dose of oestrogen to lessen the symptoms. What a difference that made- nearly no symptoms. I’ve been off the injections for about 4 weeks now and have just got my first period- thought it would be at least 8-12 weeks before it came back. Zoladex is great - just make sure you definitely follow up with side effects, and don’t just ‘suffer’ them - it is so worth having the injections!!”

Witness148 February 15, 2016

For Prostate Cancer: “My partner has been on and off zoladex for nearly 6 years- with PSA first detected at 4000 and soaring between 0 - 600 - 50 but with 12 month breaks in treatment. He takes a regime of ganoderma mushroom extract he believes this has also helped him stay very healthy and free of cancer symptoms. The only side effects and illness he suffers is from zoladex. It probably has contributed to saving his life but it has changed that life forever. He has huge mood swings confusion memory loss fatigue total loss of sexual function- in short it keeps him alive but keeps him alive and completely altered. If you have low testosterone levels then the side effects are mild. If you have a high levels it is personality changing.”

Alex.c July 16, 2013

For Endometriosis: “I am halfway through my Zoladex treatment, and it has been an absolute God send for my pain. I'm not in any pain at all, which is exactly what I wanted. However I am struggling with the side effects; hot flashes, headaches, weakness, night sweats, tiredness, bone pain. I was struggling to get through the day before the treatment, and now I have these other problems to deal with. I am torn about how I feel about it. I would definitely recommend it though, as everyone has different levels of these symptoms, I might just be a bad case.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 19, 2020

For Endometriosis: “Having finished 8 rounds of Zoladex implants at the tender age of 20 for endometriosis I have (16 weeks after my last injection) restarted my periods! I have been in and out of hospital since 13, having countless operations to try and find the cause of my pain! Hospitalised every month during my period due to extreme pain until my doctor put me on Zoladex! I never wanted it to end, the no pain and period free life was much more appealing than continuous hospital appointments and anxiety over when my monthly was coming! The implant was initially painful however worth it to ease the pain. Bar routine check ups and going for the injection I haven’t been hospitalised since starting the treatment! Probably the best decision I made and also suffered few side effects which was even better!”

Ska77 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 3, 2019

For Endometriosis: “I’m on my 5th out of 6 monthly implants and am unlikely to be swayed to go on Zoladex again as the side effects - particularly severe joint pain, extreme mood drops and chronic fatigue - are more difficult for me to cope with than the endo. I had a recent diagnosis Stage 4 endometriosis and adenomyosis, so the Zoladex implants were prescribed by a leading surgeon after he performed successful excision surgery and removed the left ovary. The Zoladex is used in conjunction with a Mirena. Within the first month of treatment I was having hot flushes and consistent low grade headaches so then was also prescribed Livial to deal with those side effects. I was being treated for anxiety and depression before the Zoladex, but my psychiatrist doubled the dose of Citelapram to 40mg about three months in to deal with the sudden mood drops. I feel like I’ve been hurdling into menopause and am ageing rapidly beyond my 42 years.”

Restlessnative November 8, 2015

For Endometriosis: “I have severe endometriosis. by the time I was 16 the pain was so bad I just lay on the floor in a ball for days in agony. I became resistant / allergic to paint killers, got a dvt from the pill, was told I was too young for a hysterectomy.. Every year the pain reached further. After trying every possible treatment I was prescribed Zolodex + a calcium supplement (when I was 24). To begin with I got hot flushes when I wore work shirts - but that's no big deal. I have now gone 14 years without a single symptom - No bleeding, no pain. What I have is an active life, a full-time job - I'm a functional human being! Never thought it possible, can't thank them enough.”

Wigan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 15, 2016

For Endometriosis: “Brittle nails, hair loss, severe depression, memory problems, difficulty concentrating, skin rash, hot flushes, sleepless nights, short temperament, intolerence to alcohol, joint pains, nausea, fatigue, ibs, low libido, painful sex... This drug compromised my mental wellbeing for a few months pain relief, it cost me my relationship and almost my job, not worth it at all!!”

kiki 32 March 1, 2010

For Breast Cancer, Palliative: “I am 32 years old and I have to take Zoladex for 3 years with the medicine Tamoxifen for 5 years. I have been on Zoladex for about a year now. Some of my side effects include severe mood swings, hot flashes, loss of menstrual cycle, weight gain (28 pounds so far), loss of energy, swelling of hands, forgetfulness.”

JD April 21, 2021

For Endometriosis: “I was on Zoladex for six and a half years due to Endometriosis causing severe pain and frequent hospital visits requiring morphine. Initially, for six months but I did so well on it, completely pain free that I decided to continue until menopause as opposed to a complicated hysterectomy. I tried coming off at age 49 but had to go back on due to pain coming back, I tried again at 51 and was great for 18 months but sadly intolerable pain returned although no bleeding. MRI showed large mass believed to be adenomyosis with ovaries stuck to uterus and uterus stuck to bowel very low down at the rectum! They are still reluctant to do surgery so I'm now back on zoladex aged 53. Three months in still having pain and problems. On the whole, Zoladex was great for me, I got my life back after 30 years of pain, I had some hot flushes and sleep disturbance but a small inconvenience and far more preferable than the constant pain. Although I'm having problems again, I still recommend Zoladex.”

Pet80 May 28, 2012

For Endometriosis: “I've been on Zoladex for 8 months now, I'm just having my 9th injection this week. Positive effects - endometriosis is not inflamed anymore which increases chances of getting pregnant. No periods therefore no pain. Side effects - where do I start. The worst is a significant weight gain, tiredness, hot flushes, sleepless nights and low energy levels. Plus no sex drive whatsoever. But anything to have a baby.”

Desiree88 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 1, 2017

For Endometriosis: “Well, I have had 2 Zoladex injections. As my Gynecologist said – symptoms will appear only after 4 weeks. WELL guess what – mine appeared only after the fourth day! YEP! And I have had ALL the symptoms. These 8 weeks have been the worst in my life. I have had: hot flashes – so bad during every night that my pillow and blanket are soaking wet, sweating, headaches, dizziness, mood changes, vaginal discharge – meaning - little bit of pee coming into my undies (sometimes not so little bit) – when I do not feel like I have to pee! Breast size reduction, bone pain, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, loss of appetite, insomnia, acne, itching, and DEPRESSION MOOD SWINGS that are just so bad . Plus my stomach has been so bloated, so gassy, so not functioning normally. THE WORST TIME IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!! I would never in a million years ever agree to this again. Better to be with endometriosis - as guess what this does not cure it!!! So – might be all for nothing.”

Patsy · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 11, 2019

For Endometriosis: “I have been on Zoldex for 5 years now. My hair is still falling out which was beautiful and thick, now dry and thin, my skin is always dry, my hands sometimes crack, so I have had to take high doses of calcium as it is now thinning my bones. I also take Zinc & Iron to help with my hair and the constant tiredness. I take anti-depressants, but have terrible mood swings. However, I will keep taking the Zoladex as this by far weighs constant hospital visits and staying in due to extreme bleeding, and then having to have to have a blood transfusions on 2 occasions. It has changed my life as I don't have as many hospital visits and not had to have another transfusion since.”

BumbleB · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 1, 2012

For Prostate Cancer: “Seems to have worked well in reducing cancer/PSA. Minimal side effects EXCEPT for both hands. Both hands are painful when moved and big knuckles can be very hurtful when holding an object. Warmth helps, as does minimising hand movements. Can hold a tennis ball without problems. a golf ball with some effort and pain, and a pen or small object can be a big problem to grasp.”

Ashley0407 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 3, 2013

For Endometriosis: “I have stage 4 endometriosis and have had laproscopic surgery to remove it from my pelvis/abdomen but I also have it throughout my bowel and it has penetrated all the way through. My doctor has put me on Zoladex for 9 months and I am on month 4. It has helped to manage my pain so far, initially it had taken virtually all of the pain away but within the last month it has slowly been resurfacing but it is still better than when I don't take it at all. The hot flashes, flushing, slight weight gain, night sweats, trouble sleeping, muscle aches, moodiness, anxiety, vaginal dryness and lack of sex drive are all bothersome but it beats being in constant pain and I know that the symptoms are temporary. I would definitely recommend Zoladex for endometriosis pain.”

Andie1985 March 24, 2009

For Endometriosis: “This is what my doctor gave me. It was better then just going with out the medicine - it is a shot given by your doctor or nurse once a month below your belly button, it hurt but only for a second and it did leave little dot scars from where the needle went. I had treatment for 6 months and didn't have any signs of endometriosis but the down fall is that you do gain weight from the medicine. When I started I gained almost 20 pounds and I tried to maintain it during treatment. Doctor said it's easier to wait until after treatment is over, then work on your weight. Zoladex does work.”

Busymanda April 4, 2021

For Endometriosis: “I suffer from endo and adenomyosis and when I have a flare up the pain is so severe it makes me vomit. Unbearable, hospitalised several times and have had several surgeries. Zoladex is A LIFESAVER!!! I was on it for 9 mths last year then after being off it for a few months for IVF I had a bad flare up of my adeno, had the zoladex shot and overnight the swelling and inflammation in my abdomen disappeared and my waist shrunk by 15 cm. Side effects are annoying - I have had a few angry sweaty outbursts that I know were 100% just side effects. Also there is a well known “zoladex flare” where your bleeding and pain symptoms will act up again around 7 days after injection. But after that it is much less. I didn't like the Mirena but I love Zoladex. Would be great to get the benefits without the side effects but it is not a perfect world. For me, it is totally worth it to deal with the pain and try to preserve my fertility.”

junib40 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2015

For Endometriosis: “I was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis and adenomyosis at 25, I am now 50, I have have had 18 laporoscopic surgeries to burn off endo to keep it at bay. I have been put on Zoladex 3 times in the last 10 years and I have to say that it it has been absolutely fantastic every time. Stopped my periods and my pain which was unbearable at times to the point where I ended up in the hospital having morphine injections numerous times. Yes I did get hot sweats and a little weight gain but I will take that any day over the kind of pain that Endometriosis brings. The only down side is that you do have to come off it periodically as you cant stay on it for long periods of time due to its effects on bone density.”