User Reviews for Microgestin Fe 1 / 20

Birth Control
5.9

Summary of Microgestin Fe 1/20 reviews 5.9 488 reviews

Reviews for Microgestin Fe 1/20

For Birth Control "I've been taking microgestin fe 1/20 for 2 months now. I'm not a fan at all. I noticed in the first few weeks that I was having hot flashes like crazy. Very uncomfortable when you work a fast paced job. I didn't get my period the first month but I did my 2nd month. It will be going on 2 weeks tomorrow that I've been bleeding. I don't have cramps or heavy bleeding but its just annoying having to buy tampons constantly. The blood is a very strange color too. I have such a huge appetite. I been over eating and crave junk food all the time. I'm definitely switiching this. The hot flashes are seriously the worst."

Kristy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I despise this pill. It gave me terrible cystic acne and I still have the scars. It was on my back, face, and neck. It made me super self conscious. I would never recommend this to anyone."

APC3565 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I switched to Microgestin Fe 1/20 back in September 2017 because I wasn't happy with the one I was currently on at that time. I had been on Microgestin Fe 1/20 before when I was a freshman in college eons ago, but for some reason I stopped. After being on this pill for almost a year I remembered why. THE WEIGHT GAIN! I've gained almost 40 pounds since I started taking this pill, which really didn't help since I was already on the heavy side to begin with. I also felt like my sex drive went down once I started this pill, not really liking that of course. Outside of these 2 issues, I don't have any other complaints. It was REALLY good on my skin. I only get breakouts around my cycle and once that's over, the bumps are gone. It definitely shortened/lightened my menstrual cycle. I never really had severe cramps before bc so they're practically non existent. I do plan to change my pill at the end of this pack, in addition to adding some gym time to my schedule!"

Lisa E August 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been taking this birth control for a while now. My skin is super clear. I have gained weight. I am 5'8" and weigh 145 lbs. but I work out and live an active lifestyle. I probably gained 15 to 20 lbs. while on this because previously with other birth control I remained a cool 120-125lbs. This was a beneficial thing to me because I have used the weight gain to my advantage and turned it into muscle. Mood swings.. eh, honestly I have no idea if that is from the pill or just from my personality, but I usually don't think my mood switches too often. For whatever reason, I'm not sure if it is my body or just the pill, but I always spot for a solid week either on the 2nd or 3rd week of the pill cycle which I hate and don't understand. Pretty sure it's just me. I feel like I'm hungry ALL THE TIME. I think it's because I workout out though. I would recommend the pill for people who want to have a weight gain."

jwash August 3, 2018

For Birth Control "Let me just start off with saying I never break out, I’ll get the occasional acne around my period that goes away within a couple days. While on this birth control it made me get painful acne on my chin and jaw area. It also made me extremely depressed, anxious, tired and hungry. I was prescribed this particular brand when I communicated to my doctor that birth control made me moody. I’d also like to add that I had painful cramps during. The only pros were that I did not get pregnant and my period was extremely light. With that said I wouldn’t recommend this birth control."

vslsa (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I was only on this birth control for 3 months until I couldn’t take it anymore & made the switch to something else. I’ve always had minor struggles with acne (just like most teens & young adults), but I’ve never experienced the type of acne Microgestin gave me. Huge cystic pimples began to erupt all over my face. I tried to tough it out and see if it would get any better, but by the end of the 3rd month, I had had enough of the sore, cystic acne flare ups. Once I switched birth control brands, this problem went away almost immediately. For this reason, I would not recommend this birth control brand."

Kt (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2018

For Birth Control "Most awful birth control ever. It should be off the market. A week into taking it I felt off... sad, dizzy nauseous and sleepless. 3 weeks into taking I had full blown PMS and got my period. That period started 8 days ago and is still going strong. Simply awful."

Lp July 31, 2018

For Birth Control "I got prescribed & been taking Microgestin FE 1/20 for 5 years. It's the only pill that my body feels comfortable taking. I tried other brands or generic versions but my body has negative reactions. Microgestin has helped a lot with my PMS. My body just blends well with it."

Eliza1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 30, 2018

For Birth Control "I'm 5'7 & 120lbs, late 20's Latina & I've been using this birth control for 7 years now & have never had a problem. Switched from Nuvaring to Microgestin 1/20 when I was 21. After about 3 months of use I noticed my cystic acne started clearing up, periods got shorter, then lighter. Now at 28 I get my period about 3-4 times a year, usually very light & lasting 2-3 days. Never had a pregnancy scare either. I used to have heavy 7 day periods but this changed everything for me."

Ida (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 30, 2018

For Birth Control "I've have been taking this pill for years...I have never had a problem. No mood swings, no pregnancies, no long heavy periods, no nothing. I feel great. I have short light periods. I was surprised to see so many negative reviews. Everyone needs to keep in mind everyone's body is different...and responds to things differently."

AUNT11 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 25, 2018

For Birth Control "Rather than get pregnant than stay on this bc. 1 month of usage and I’ve been on my period for 8 days straight and counting. Horrible cramps, extreme bloating. Would not recommend."

chela July 14, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on this pill for about 9 months now and it has been great! My previous pill didn't have enough hormones so I had irregular spotting from time to time, which definitely caused stress/confusion because I didn't want pregnancy scares. Now that I'm on Microgestin, I have exact 28-day cycles and my periods are 3 days long. My periods are slightly heavier than when I was on my previous pill. But they keep my skin clear and I love that my cycle is literally the same consistent numbers every month."

Star (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 10, 2018

For Birth Control "This pill makes you very moody, angry, aggressive and negative. It makes you very hungry. Try viorele .15 mg instead. That’s what worked for me way better. Microgestin is not good. It did it’s job but at the cost of my health."

Sara July 7, 2018

For Birth Control "Ive been on microgestin Fe 1/20 for about 2 weeks now, it definitely cleared up my skin. I haven't seen any weight gain. I have noticed random bloating days but I'm assuming its just my body adjusting to the extra hormones. If I don't take it with food I do get a little dizzy but once I eat something I'm fine! I definitely would stress the idea that everyones body reacts differently to these medications and the only way you're going to know how it affects you is if you try it!"

Caitlin (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I switched to Microgestin FE after my insurance removed the patch from their list of covered medications, which made me sad because Xulane worked really well for me other than having a low libido. This one was not a good fit for me. I've been taking this for almost 3 months to see if the side effects would go away, but they're only getting worse. I've been experiencing insomnia especially during the first two weeks of taking the pill and I also get super itchy on my arms, back, and legs, which is a side effect I've never had with any other birth control. The cystic acne has only gotten worse, and I've just contacted my doctor to switch to something else because this pill makes me feel horrible. My moods are also off the wall and I get upset/easily irritated very often. The very idea of sex annoys me. I am not myself on this pill... I can't wait to swtich!!"

Rachel (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on microgestin for 5 months and took it on time every single day! I ended up getting pregnant while taking it! I have been on a few different birth controls since I was 17 (now 28) and have never had this happen."

BreezyB (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on microgestin for about 5 months and I’m worried the changes I’ve felt in myself are due to this pill. I was on a different birth control for 2 months prior to microgestin and it was terrible I had periods lasting 8 days (normally my periods were 4-5 days) and all 8 days were heavy and painful so I had my BC switched to microgestin. I stopped getting my periods and had zero pain, occasional bloating but nothing too bad. BUT I noticed I was getting frequent migraines, horrible mood swings, I’d cry about the smallest things, I gained 20lbs in 5 months, anxiety, and zero motivation to do anything! I considered myself a very upbeat and generally happy person before taking microgestin I just didn’t realize it until now how bad BC can actually affect you in other ways besides menstrual cycle."

Jocey (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2018

For Birth Control "The first two months on microgestin FE 1/20 l were fine. It did make me get two periods each month, but they were light. Once I started my third pack, all heck broke loose. Anxiety so bad I couldn’t drive, I felt dizzy, weak, and tired and had a horrible headache for days. My heart rate was through the roof and my eyes felt...weird. I lost 10 pounds in 3 days, probably because I couldn’t stop going to the bathroom and had no appetite. I thought there was something seriously wrong with me until I did a search and found others with similar experiences with this BC. This morning I skipped my dose and I feel fine! Needless to say, I will be switching BC. I expected some side effects but not this. If you have a history of anxiety or panic attacks I would be very cautious with this medication. The only reason I didn’t give it the lowest rating is because it did prevent pregnancy."

BigOlNope May 19, 2018

For Birth Control "Was prescribed Microgestin Fe 1/20 from my Gyno to regulate my periods. I'm 41 and was having periods every 14 days all the way up to 56 days. Was told my body would adjust in about 6 months. Just started month 4. Continuing to experience abdominal pain, bloating and nausea, especially during week 1 of the pack. I've taken the pill in the evening, close to bedtime and that has helped with the discomfort, however, I can't sleep. It's like a shot of caffeine. I've switched it up again and am taking it right after lunch and that seems to work well until the late evening, then the stomach discomfort returns. Also, I've lost weight since taking this pill. I'm down 4lbs. My period lasts 1-2 days then just spotting for about 5-6 days following. No change in skin. Libido seems to have increased."

Mel May 18, 2018

For Birth Control "This works for me. I’ve been on Microgestin for 4 years, have light periods, no acne, and stable emotions."

TiffTaff (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 1, 2018

For Birth Control "Don't be discouraged because your body will react to medications differently just like how I did as it is my first BC pill and method! I was informed and waited 2-3 months for my body to adjust to the hormones along with side effects to subside before considering to switch. - Started using on Jan '18, Finishing on Apr '18. - Switching to my new prescribed birth control pill called Aubra on May '18. Pros: - No Pregnancy! - Period lasted 3 days & starts on the same placebo day. Cons: - Little to no change for my little acne. - Horrible mood swings. I started getting mad over little things or for no reason. It would end up causing unnecessary quarreling and huge arguments with my special other. But I'm very lucky and loved to have a very patient and understanding guy like him. - HUGE increase of appetite causing 15lb weight gain. - Have no motivation to want to do anything. - Unbearable painful cramps leading to intake of Advil every month on the first day of my period."

j (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I started my first week on this pill and I already hate it. It’s my first time on birth control so my body’s really having a hard time adjusting to it. I’ve been crying almost every night and getting mad at my boyfriend for small things that would have never even bothered me. My skin hasn’t had any improvements, I have mild acne and for the most part it doesn’t really bother me, but now I’m seeing tiny pimples on my chest. I’m not sure if I should discontinue it now because I’m definitely not willing to wait until my skin gets worse."

iminlovewiththecoco (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on microgestin for about 6 months now. I like it but this past month I’ve been feeling really lightheaded and skipped a period I’ve taken pregnancy test and it came out negative so I know it’s a side effect of this pill. As far as my periods they started normal and each month that passes by I’ve noticed lighter periods and each month it’s a day shorter."

Jess (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been taking microgestin to control my cramps from my tubal ligation for a year now and it has helped a lot. My periods have stopped and my face has cleared up. Luckily haven't experienced any side effects. This birth control works for me."

ariglia April 17, 2018

For Birth Control "been off and on microgestin fe 1/20 for the past couple years and I'm a little on the fence. I started it specifically for acne and it completely clears up my skin, but it makes me have absolutely no period. To some that may sound amazing but I don't like the thought of not having a period. It also causes some appetite decrease every now and then. Otherwise I had absolutely no side effects besides some mild vaginal dryness."

momo8242 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2018