User Reviews for Microgestin Fe 1 / 20

Birth Control
5.9

Summary of Microgestin Fe 1/20 reviews 5.9 471 reviews

Reviews for Microgestin Fe 1/20

For Birth Control "The first two months on microgestin FE 1/20 l were fine. It did make me get two periods each month, but they were light. Once I started my third pack, all heck broke loose. Anxiety so bad I couldn’t drive, I felt dizzy, weak, and tired and had a horrible headache for days. My heart rate was through the roof and my eyes felt...weird. I lost 10 pounds in 3 days, probably because I couldn’t stop going to the bathroom and had no appetite. I thought there was something seriously wrong with me until I did a search and found others with similar experiences with this BC. This morning I skipped my dose and I feel fine! Needless to say, I will be switching BC. I expected some side effects but not this. If you have a history of anxiety or panic attacks I would be very cautious with this medication. The only reason I didn’t give it the lowest rating is because it did prevent pregnancy."

BigOlNope May 19, 2018

For Birth Control "Was prescribed Microgestin Fe 1/20 from my Gyno to regulate my periods. I'm 41 and was having periods every 14 days all the way up to 56 days. Was told my body would adjust in about 6 months. Just started month 4. Continuing to experience abdominal pain, bloating and nausea, especially during week 1 of the pack. I've taken the pill in the evening, close to bedtime and that has helped with the discomfort, however, I can't sleep. It's like a shot of caffeine. I've switched it up again and am taking it right after lunch and that seems to work well until the late evening, then the stomach discomfort returns. Also, I've lost weight since taking this pill. I'm down 4lbs. My period lasts 1-2 days then just spotting for about 5-6 days following. No change in skin. Libido seems to have increased."

Mel May 18, 2018

For Birth Control "This works for me. I’ve been on Microgestin for 4 years, have light periods, no acne, and stable emotions."

TiffTaff (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 1, 2018

For Birth Control "Don't be discouraged because your body will react to medications differently just like how I did as it is my first BC pill and method! I was informed and waited 2-3 months for my body to adjust to the hormones along with side effects to subside before considering to switch. - Started using on Jan '18, Finishing on Apr '18. - Switching to my new prescribed birth control pill called Aubra on May '18. Pros: - No Pregnancy! - Period lasted 3 days & starts on the same placebo day. Cons: - Little to no change for my little acne. - Horrible mood swings. I started getting mad over little things or for no reason. It would end up causing unnecessary quarreling and huge arguments with my special other. But I'm very lucky and loved to have a very patient and understanding guy like him. - HUGE increase of appetite causing 15lb weight gain. - Have no motivation to want to do anything. - Unbearable painful cramps leading to intake of Advil every month on the first day of my period."

j (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I started my first week on this pill and I already hate it. It’s my first time on birth control so my body’s really having a hard time adjusting to it. I’ve been crying almost every night and getting mad at my boyfriend for small things that would have never even bothered me. My skin hasn’t had any improvements, I have mild acne and for the most part it doesn’t really bother me, but now I’m seeing tiny pimples on my chest. I’m not sure if I should discontinue it now because I’m definitely not willing to wait until my skin gets worse."

iminlovewiththecoco (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on microgestin for about 6 months now. I like it but this past month I’ve been feeling really lightheaded and skipped a period I’ve taken pregnancy test and it came out negative so I know it’s a side effect of this pill. As far as my periods they started normal and each month that passes by I’ve noticed lighter periods and each month it’s a day shorter."

Jess (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been taking microgestin to control my cramps from my tubal ligation for a year now and it has helped a lot. My periods have stopped and my face has cleared up. Luckily haven't experienced any side effects. This birth control works for me."

ariglia April 17, 2018

For Birth Control "been off and on microgestin fe 1/20 for the past couple years and I'm a little on the fence. I started it specifically for acne and it completely clears up my skin, but it makes me have absolutely no period. To some that may sound amazing but I don't like the thought of not having a period. It also causes some appetite decrease every now and then. Otherwise I had absolutely no side effects besides some mild vaginal dryness."

momo8242 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2018

For Birth Control "This birth control gave me very painful cystic acne on my chin especially during the time of the month. I would get painful cramps and my periods were light but would last about two weeks or half a month. I used to break out here and there but a little bit this pill gave me PAINFUL acne and it started to get around my lips. I usually felt so angry it was affecting my relationship sometimes. I switched and it made me gain weight!!! Thankfully now that I switched I started losing a lot more!"

Perl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I started taking Microgestin Fe specifically to regulate my periods since I was getting mine every two weeks. It definitely has regulated it and has also made them much lighter BUT since I’ve started, my skin has broken out in cystic acne and it hasn’t started healing at all. I’ve been on it for two months now. Also, I’m having horrible cramping every single day. And when I’m on my period it’s 100x worse. Not to mention my moods.. I cry often now. And I'm not a big cryer so I know it has to do with this medication. If you have history of mental illness you should stay away from this drug. I’ve been heavily debating on stopping this medication and just dealing with my irregular periods because that seems less stressful then what I’m going through now. I will be in contact with my doctor shortly, I can’t take this anymore."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I was prescribed Microgestin Fe as my previous pill Reclipsen was causing me not to have my period and horrible fluctuating weight (went from 215 to 240 over the course of 2 years on the old pill). I was on Microgestin for nearly 2 years (I was recently switched to Junel by my gyno). I loved being on Microgestin. My periods, after a period of adjustment to the lower dose of hormones, became regular and I could finally say I had a reliable time table of when my periods would start (before this, I'd never been regular my entire life, even before BC). What little acne I had, started to clear up and my weight stabilized to the point I have been able to work on changing my diet and lifestyle habits without worrying I will gain 5 to 10 lbs in a few days. Cons: Been having horrible sinus migraines."

Barb March 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I just began taking this medication around Christmas. About 2.5 months. I’m generally not an emotional person, the smallest things have been making me cry. I have no motivation, I’m sad, and mad more than usual as well. This was quite confusing since I this was a lower dosage than my old birth control. Additionally I have been having spotting and cramping outside of my regular period. Not my favorite. I think I’ll switch to an IUD."

JET (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been taking this bc for over a year (I'm 45) & a lot of the symptoms reported by other users are very similar to what I've experienced. I've had a history of minor depression, but I've noticed over the last year my bouts have increased dramatically and they're MUCH more frequent & last a lot longer. Plus, I've developed severe anxiety, constant moodiness & raaaaage. To be fair, I've had a some events over the past year that have caused some stress & anxiety, but I was perplexed (& extremely disappointed) with my inability to handle these events without constantly breaking down & crying. I'm not averse to crying, but I was/am crying about nearly EVERYTHING. Some days, my depression & anxiety have been so severe that I've been unable to get out of bed & go to work... It IS very effective as a bc, & I think for some women it'll probably be perfect if they don't experience the same side effects I did (which, btw, also included increased, very painful cramps)."

Older Flower March 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I have Endometriosis and am perimenopausal. Had laparoscopic surgery on my endometriosis 15 years ago and had easy periods for years after. In the past year, as perimenopause set in, my periods became unbearable and came every 2 - 3 weeks, so I decided to try microgestin Fe to control symptoms and frequency of periods. The first 8 or 10 days were awful: severe nausea, lethargy, deep depression, and bleeding/spotting for 14 days. Someone suggested I take the pill at night before bed instead of in the morning. Immediately, like magic, everything normalized. It's now been 3 months - my moods are stable, no spotting, no bloating, no cramping, no breakouts. Only real side effect is constipation from the supplemental iron. Now I drink fiber beverages each morning and all is well. Every person reacts differently, but I wanted to share that the bad side effects aren't necessarily permanent."

MidAgeDread (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I went from lo loestrin to microgestin to blisovi. I was on lo loestrin when I was 20 and I'm 24 now. I barely remember anything except it making me nauseous the first day. I switched to microgestin at 21 due to new insurance. There was a transition period but I've been on it for 3 years and it reduced my acne and stopped my menstrual migraines and mood swings. I switched insurance again and now I'm on blisovi. It's only been a week but I've already experienced my first mood swing and got two whopper breakouts. Currently trying to get back on microgestin because it really worked for my body and I don't want to transition into another bc again."

Royalypink (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 10, 2018

For Birth Control "Started it when I was 17 and am 20 now. Began due to irregular periods. It took 6 months for me to have a regular cycle on this pill. No side effects. Will spot when stressed, but besides that this pill keeps me regular."

AlyssaMN7 February 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on this pill for about 5 months. I am a student and have found I am all of the sudden lacking motivation to study or spend time with my friends. I have all the sudden become very moody and irritable. I cannot wait to get off this pill. Pros: More regular periods, no cramps or acne. Cons: Horrendous mood swings and depression symptoms."

__Daannnaaa January 27, 2018

For Birth Control "The first five months were great. No spotting, no weight gain, no cramps, no acne, regular periods, not moody. I’ve been on this pill close to a year and the last six months I have had a lot of breakthrough bleeding between periods and once didn’t even get a period for two months. Usually the period would last about 4 days. Definitely prevents pregnancy, but for me breakthrough bleeding was annoying so I’m switching it up with another pill."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 24, 2018

For Birth Control "Never had acne and after three months of taking this I have deep and painful cystic acne. I feel terrible. I'm extremely upset and high strung. Crying at anything and everything. And I'm SO angry all the time for no reason. My fiance has noticed a huge change and is very concerned. Pretty sure they only gave this to me because my insurance covers it. DO NOT TAKE IF YOU HAVE A HISTORY OF MENTAL ILLNESS. Going to the gyno asap to get this cleared up."

Bee.T January 19, 2018

For Birth Control "I have mixed feelings about this pill, but ultimately the bad outweighs the good. I went on this pill because I had stopped getting my periods and needed to normalize them. I was upset about weight gain, but my boobs increased 2 cup sizes, which was a positive for me (although, breast growth may not have been due to the birth control). As far as avoiding pregnancy, this pill did an amazing job. However, after being on this pill for a year and a half, I still have terrible acne (and I had clear skin before the pill) and I have been depressed. I guess you have to assess the reasons for taking the pill, but I am going to stop and go for an IUD instead."

Allison8 January 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on this medication for about 3 years. As far as effective birth control, it's great. I did not have hormonal side effects at all. I started having horrendous headaches. The onset was gradual, so I did not make a correlation between the pill and my headaches. I suffered WAY too long before I figured out that my headaches were due to this pill. On a scale of 1 to 10, the headaches ranged from 3 to 7. They were not debilitating headaches, but they lasted for days at a time. I tried EVERYTHING my PC could throw at it. Migraine medication, over the counter, pain killers, etc. NOTHING TOOK THE PAIN AWAY. I stopped last April and haven't had that particular type of headache since!!!"

Murrey (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2018

For Birth Control "Microgestin Fe 1/20 I've been using this pill for just 1 1/2 months. I started out at 120lbs and now after 1 1/2 months I've gainedabout 7lbs!! Maybe I need to change something!!"

Anonymous January 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m about to begin my third pill pack of Microgestin 1/20. I’m thrilled with my experience so far! No major side effects, very regular and light periods, and most of all: NO PREGNANCY! It’s awesome. I had feared I’d experience side effects other women have suffered on this pill, and I must be one of the lucky ones. Thank goodness!"

mountaingirl1185 December 7, 2017

For Birth Control "I was on Microgestin Fe 1/20 for about eight months. The first few months were alright and normal, typical birth control stuff. Out of nowhere, I realized I would find myself crying over absolutely nothing, have these awful mood swings, and had ZERO sex drive. Finally fed up with it I went to my gyno and they switched me to Apri. I've been on Apri for a week and I feel 100x better than I did on Microgestin and I have a sex drive back!!"

Sienicole (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2017

For Birth Control "I'm not really sure yet if it's the pill but I'm usually a happy go lucky person always energetic and just a great person to be around. I started taking this pill 6 Mo to a yr ago and for the last few months I get angry over small things I cry so easily and feel sad and lonely I just don't feel like my self anymore. After reading all these comments about causing depression I'm not convinced these pills are not making me depressed."

Jamie1030 November 27, 2017