User Reviews for Microgestin Fe 1/20 to treat Birth Control

Microgestin Fe 1/20 Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 267 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Microgestin Fe 1/20

Marie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2020

“I experienced weight gain, water retention and enlarged uterus. However, the acne cleared and I did not experience any mood swings as I have done with other birth controls.”

beejay · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2020

“I absolutely hate this medication. They gave it to me because my Junel Fe was on backorder. Horrible mood swings, zero sex drive whatsoever, symptoms of depression, breakthrough bleeding, and lack of interest within things I previously loved. I didn't use this for the purpose of preventing pregnancy, but it didn't even work for the things I needed it for. Everyone is different, but I have never experienced such dark emotions in my life, and this was a horrible experience.”

Des · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 2, 2020

“I’ve been on this pill for almost 5 years now. No weight gain, no negative side effects, and super light periods. I can’t imagine taking anything else!”

Mick · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2020

“My insurance had changed my usual pill to this one Microgestin Fe 1/20 due to insurance and it has been terrible. I have constant depression and anxiety. I'm always angry over small things and it does not even help my heavy periods/cramping which is what I take the pill for. I will be switching again and paying the difference just so I don't have to go through this anymore.”

Deedee · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2020

“This medication made me SO depressed. I gained 40 lbs, cried every day, and had extremely irregular periods for the 5 months I was on it.”

Julie · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 17, 2020

“I started Microgestin 1/20 FE last year. I got a years supply so I didn't have to worry about switching, and it was one of the most depressing years I have experienced. I didn't blame the pill for my daily super dark thoughts until I switched pills 2 weeks ago, and since then I have had zero suicidal thoughts or impulses. In my experience Microgestin increases depression and dark thoughts exponentially. One plus is that I did not get pregnant while on it.”

1998 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 10, 2020

“Bled for a very long time, didn't help with the cramps. But did help with pregnancy prevention”

Anonymous January 19, 2020

“Been on this pill microgestin Fe 1/20 for over 12 years, was off of it for 10 months to get pregnant, started it again after and it has been the BEST... I have no complaints on it”

miki · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2020

“This birth control destroyed my mental state, after being on it for a month I started to spiral into depression and suicidal thoughts, no interest in the activities I used to love like doing art or going on adventures. I would go into a rage or break down sobbing over the smallest things. Hot flashes all the time, breaking out on my chin and nose. I hate this birth control so much, I'm now off it and I'm never taking the pill again because of this experience, I'll be finding an alternative BC.”

Meme · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 7, 2020

“Personally I love this contraceptive! I think it is a great help for women with extremely painful cramps, and a heavy flow. I have not experienced any weight gain thankfully but sadly no weight loss either ”

41 yr old female · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2019

“I had the mirena for 3 years. It was the first birth control I've used since I got married 3 years ago... It was wonderful except after a year I started getting hot flashes. I suffered for a bit longer and then had it removed. Hot flashes gone!!! I was given microgestin. I took it for 16 days and bleed for 16 days. Full blown, heavy bleeding, huge clots, thought I would expel my uterus. lol. Dr. said keep taking and if I feel like I'm going to pass out come to the office. I didn't listen and stopped the pills. 3 days later no blood. I've never bleed like this in my life. Not sure why it made me bleed. Wish I understood this since it's supposed to make you not... Anyways I'm going to take a break for a couple months and maybe try a different pill...”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2019

“I have been on this birth control for a month now. I was never really the type of person to get a lot of acne but ever since I started on this pill I’ve got super bad acne & hate my skin. I was “light bleeding” for over 2 weeks. I have gained a little over 10 pounds since I started because I'm constantly wanting food. Before I started this birth control I weighted 115, now I weigh 127 in one month. Another thing is I'm always tired no matter how much I sleep. The only “plus” side is that my cramps aren't as bad anymore.”

Jennifer October 27, 2019

“As a 21 year old woman, I’ve taken this pill for some four years now after becoming sexually active and truly have had little to no problems. I exercise about 4x a week and don’t have the best diet given my age. But while on this pill I have stayed the same weight, give or take 5lbs depending on my diet and exercise. I never had acne prone skin even in my teens but pill didn’t make it worse. I never had head aches, nausea or other common side effects. My period was always pretty light with minimal cramping, and after taking this pill for some years now I haven’t gotten my period in maybe two years. IT IS AWESOME. My insurance even covers it so that it’s free for me. The only con with this pill is my lowered sex drive (though I was never really an animal anyway), and vaginal dryness. Definitely would recommend.”

Ash · Taken for 10 years or more September 30, 2019

“I have been on Microgestin Fe 1/20 for 10 years now without stopping. I have had zero issues while being on it, Very short periods (last 3-4 days max) I do still have cramping while on my period but nothing crazy, and no acne except for your random pimples once in a blue moon. I am about to go off of this BC, but it was great for me!”

Middle aged lady · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 15, 2019

“I'm almost a year on the birth control Microgestin Fe 1/20 . It has helped my very heavy periods calm down and not be as long. I'm in my mid 40s and was tired of the CSI Miami crime scene that my monthly would bring. Also this has helped my night sweats. I really have no complaints with this. Mind you I'm a healthy non smoker and exercise daily. If you smoke or are overweight maybe take the mini pill. My sister is also taking this for the same reasons. It takes many months for full effect. I hope this review helps someone. Please talk to your doctor if you have heavy periods. I waited many years.”

Mic September 11, 2019

“Literally put me in such a dark place, I think I cried every day for months on this pill. I talked to my doctor and she said I maybe needed therapy. I switched birth controls just Incase because a friend suggested that might be the issue and right when I switched I felt like a weight was lifted and I turned completely back to my happy self!! Basically I feel like doctors often don’t talk about the mental side effects of birth control pills a lot. So if you are ever depressed and think it’s that, don’t let anyone talk you out of switching! But everyone’s body is different so it might work for you. My favorite is amethyst/lybrel since it has one of the lowest doses of estrogen you can get in a combination pill- for me less estrogen = less side effects! I feel great now!”

A · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2019

“On Microgestin Fe 1/20 Absolutely horrible! Mentally, I was a complete wreck and struggled to feel happy or excited for anything. I was depressed and upset 24/7 and would get angry for the dumbest reasons. I felt so hopeless, I lost interest in everyday tasks/activities. I broke out like crazy on my chin and have always had clear skin. I thankfully switched to Junel FE which has been great.”

Jen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 1, 2019

“I have been on this pill for almost 1 year. It’s the first BC pill I’ve ever taken and it regulated my periods. I used to only get my period about 6-8 times a year and this pill helped with that. I took it every day on time and it’s very effective at preventing pregnancy. I didn’t get any bad side effects which is great. I did however gain 10 lbs and I’m not complaining because I needed it and now I’m at a steady weight. I just switched to Junel Fe and now I’m sad because Microgestin changed my life and made me feel more confident.”

Venus June 23, 2019

“I switched from Tarina Fe to Microgestin after starting to see a new doctor. This doctor told me the two brands were generics of each other ie. comparable. I had zero problem on Tarina multiple years. This new pill gave me SEVERE side effects. I was on it for 5 months and started having side effects immediately. I was always bloated, gained weight, broke out, had drastic mood changes, abdominal pain, no periods and consistent yeast infections which was new to me. Finally I just couldn’t handle it anymore I stopped taking it. I had stabbing pain in my uterus for about a week while detoxing the pill. It’s been 5 months off and my body has had a tough time readjusting. My periods are still inconsistent and my hormones are trying to balance themselves out. My mom had issues on this pill too, severe headaches that were a sign of a near stroke. Thank goodness she went to the doctor just in time and got off the pill and is feeling better now. I DO NOT recommend this pill to ANYONE.”

Mac · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2019

“I switched from Aviane onto Microgestin after the former caused awful side effects like constant bleeding, irritability, cramping and breast swelling. Unfortunately, Microgestin didn't work out for me, seeing as I've had the exact same issues with Aviane except a little worse on this pill. The weight gain was worse, my skin looked good, but I wasn't prone to break outs anyway. It's an effective birth control, but I can't handle the side effects. It also completely zapped my energy.”

Ray · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 10, 2019

“I've been on Microgestrin Fe 1/20 for about 3 years. I've tried many other brands or generics like Junel Fe 1/20 which is a form of Microgestrin. But Junel made me gain weight and get depressed. Microgestrin, however, has never given me any problems at all. I start and finish my period on the exact same days every month. My periods are so light and so manageable. I've had no problem with weight gain or mood swings with this pill. I am so sad to see this pill go on back order. I highly recommend. This is the only pill I have completely loved and not had any problems on. I am a 20 year old girl and in college so it's very important I'm on a good pill that doesn't get in the way of my mental health for my studies. I love this pill and sad to see it go.”

Leche · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 6, 2019

“Microgestin Fe made my periods much lighter even to the point where I would skip one or two periods in between, helped my acne some over time although it did not clear it up completely but it was better than before. Also a few more headaches here and there. Only negative thing I noticed, which could be due to other things, was my energy has been lower. Overall not too bad.”

Ness May 4, 2019

“I think what a lot of women need to keep in mind is that all our bodies differ. Birth control is tricky. Doctors prescribe what they think is best and, sometimes, that’s not the case. It’s only unfortunate that we have to subject our bodies to something that can potentially endanger us at the say of our doctor. Really, there is no perfect, super effective birth control without another saying otherwise. So, here I am, part of that small percentage, that loves Microgestin Fe birth control. I’ve been on it for three years. No complaints. No weird side effects and have I gotten pregnant. What’s awesome, is that my period is very timely—I LOVE knowing even it’ll arrive (I get it every month, always on a Tuesday or Wednesday, no later than) and it only lasts 3, 4 days at most. If you’re sexually active, this has proven helpful in maintaining a very strict schedule with your menstrual cycle. Microgestin birth control is a winner in my book.”

Genah April 21, 2019

“I’ve used birth control for over 10 years. I’ve used Microgestin Fe 1.5/30 for majority of that time. I’ve also used the patch (no complaints other than it would give me a small rash on the area that I applied it on). Microgestin Fe 1/20 was my least favorite. I didn’t get my period the first 4 months. I gained weighed (10-15 pounds). I hit the gym everyday for about 2 hours. I ran 5-7 miles a day, ate clean and I could not lose the weight. I had mood swings. I just got off it. As soon as I went back to Microgestin Fe 1.5/30 (my regular birth control) I dropped all the weight, my period came back, and my mood swings went away. I’ve always been regular. Please read reviews before you try something.”

Krystal March 31, 2019

“This birth control is horrible I been on my period for two weeks and it’s horrible. I started on this pill when my last cycle begin and I haven’t came off yet. I stopped taking these pills and I will never take these pills again. After this horrible experience I will never get back on birth control pills again”