Birth control. Do I have to take the brown pills?
Do I have to take the brown tablets, the last week in the pill strip? Or can I stop taking the pills that week and resume with a new pill pack the following week? Or if I don't want to take the brown pills, do I need to start a new pill pack right away?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Nov 1, 2018.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
The last seven brown tablets do not contain any hormones, but they do contain iron. This may help replace the iron you lose when you have your period, which may help prevent anemia.
You may stop taking the brown pills if you wish and start a new pack the following week. You should get your period sometime during your week off.
You may also choose to skip the brown pills altogether and start a new packet straight away. You will not get a period that month if you choose this option.
It is not recommended to skip more than two consecutive cycles of brown pills.
Related Medical Questions
- Microgestin Fe 1/20 - Breakthrough bleeding or period, with cramps, while taking active Microgestin?
- Microgestin Fe 1 / 20 Information for Consumers
- Microgestin Fe 1 / 20 Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Microgestin Fe 1 / 20 (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Microgestin Fe 1 / 20 (42 questions, 194 members)