User Reviews for Aviane to treat Birth Control

Aviane Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 276 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Aviane

"I've been on Aviane for about a month now and I haven't had any issues. Before I was on Chateal and I had no sex drive. Then I tried Lutera and it gave me extreme anxiety. Aviane has helped me get my sex drive back without causing me anxiety. I read a lot of great reviews on here about Aviane so I decided to try it. The only issue I have now is light spotting in between periods but I know thats normal when you switch birth controls."

Tara (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2019

"Aviane is an amazing birth control! I have been on this for 5 years, and although it is the first one I’ve tried, it works wonderfully! No acne issues, weight gain, mood changes, and I am not pregnant. I strongly recommend it."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 28, 2019

"Love love this pill! This is the first hormonal birth control method I’ve ever tried and it’s been amazing. It’s helped my mood a lot, has been great contraception, has regulated my periods and made them significantly lighter. My skin is also much better. I have gained some weight but I don’t attribute it to the pill - it’s been a stressful few months in my personal life. I don’t think it’s due to the pill because it’s been easy to lose weight as well. Only thing I don’t love about it is that my already oily hair is now a bit greasier, but I’ve found good hair products that make this little problem basically nonenxistent. Overall I really recommend."

coffsci (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2019

"I was nervous to take this birth control. I’ve taken 3 other types all pill form. I had previously experienced side affects from those pills such as increased hunger, paranoia, huge mood swings, irritability, quick weight gain, etc. With Aviane I haven’t noticed any of that, my period is lighter and shorter, the pills don’t make me feel nauseous or weird, and my mood is 100% normal and me. However it has been a lot harder and slower of a process for me to lose the weight I have gained from the other pills. Normally I lose weight relatively easily but not the case here. Other small negative is I do experience some cramping a few days before placebo week starts."

Cynthia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2019

"I've been on Aviane for some time (years, I'm talking 7 years) and I'm hopefully going to be getting off it soon. I've never experienced scalp issues until taking this demon pill. Not only is half my hair gone and SUPER thin, I have nothing but scalp pain, and my hair is overly greasy and I have to wash way more often than you should be. I'm constantly negative, I hate everything, even when I convince myself not too and I just want to hide away from humanity. I can't believe I stayed on it this long. I hate myself for letting my hair get to this point, it's so embarrassing and sad...."

JessieG (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 13, 2019

"I have not had 1 problem with Aviane birth control. I’ve never been on birth control until I started Aviane. I spotted very lightly everyday for the entire first month I was on it. The second month, I had spotting for a few days before the start of my period. It’s my third month now, I had no spotting and my period was on time. I’ve had no side effects with this birth control and it is effective."

Cass (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2019

"I took this for 2 months I kept getting yeast infections and my vagina is always irritated and itchy. My anxiety is off the roof with this medication also effects my bowel movements. I don’t think this medication is for me"

melanin (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2019

"I am sure everyone reacts differently to medication but in my experience this was the worst decision! I started taking Aviane because although I loved being on Sprintec my doc suggested switching to a low dose pill continuously and prescribed Aviane. I had stomach issues right away, depression and then bled for 3 weeks straight with no breaks at all. I was told to wait it out because breakthrough bleeding is common at first but it just felt like something was wrong and I needed to stop. Its been 3 days since I stopped and I can already feel that my mood has improved! I plan on letting my body return to normal and then seeing if I can try something else in a few months."

ER February 8, 2019

"I've been on Aviane (ethinylestradiol 20 mcg and levonorgestrel 100 mcg) for about a year and a half. Haven't identified any side effects apart from headaches and less lubrication during intimacy, and have not gotten pregnant. Doesn't work too well for skipping the placebo week & skipping your period, I usually begin to breakthrough bleed at the end of week 4. I was on Levest (ethinylestradiol 30 mcg and levonorgestrel 150 mcg) which was a bigger dose of both hormones- prior to this and liked it better (less of those side effects mentioned above and easier to skip periods) but they do not have it in the US. No breakouts or weight gain - my skin probably got better. (The generic for Levest is nordette 28 or Marlissa)"

Timi (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2019

"I have only been on this birth control for one week. DO NOT TAKE THIS. I have been angry, anxious and having really dark thoughts. I am never like this. I noticed my behavior changed drastically over the weekend. I also now have a yeast infection. I'm very red and the skin is sore. I wanted this to work but it has been scary as hell. I hope I go back to normal ASAP. Please monitor your mood if you are new to taking this."

ncerutti (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2019

"It’s my first bc pill and I am highly nauseous and my headaches are increased and a lot more painful. Not happy and will not proceed with this therapy any longer."

Am (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2019

"So I’ve been taking this for 3 months now and I am not pregnant so yay! But it has made my breasts shrink two cup sizes I don’t like looking at myself in the mirror which makes me very depressed. My bras do not fit me anymore. I went from a D to a B/C. Also if I accidentally skip a day or so or if I take the placebo pills, I get diarrhea. My hair is also greasy. But honestly if I didn’t get my body by taking this. I would continue cause it’s pretty much the best I’ve tried."

KB (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2018

"Started off taking the birth control and I thought it was fine... then I noticed myself gaining weight even though I workout 6 days a week and my acne got so bad I would cry because it would hurt so bad. It wasn’t always my face mainly my back and it worsened my eczema by making my skin very dry. I also experienced fatigue a lot more while on this. I took myself off of it and now I’m in the process of starting something new."

Laggy (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2018

"I have been on this bc for 2 years and no problems at all"

sillyvmom (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 18, 2018

"THIS IS THE BEST BIRTH CONTROL PILL EVER! I wanted to share my experience with everyone because after choosing a wrong pill before I realized how important it is to search to find the right pill. I'm on my 3rd month so far and I see no effect on myself. My weight is the same, my skin is the same, I don't have nausea or a headache (as I experienced on my previous pill called Esme) My mood is normal as how I am as usual. I loved this pill because I see no effect. So, I can move on to my life like I'm not on a pill. I started this pill after reading so many good comments about it and I definitely recommend it!!!"

asenatuna (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2018

"Aviane is the first birth control pill I’ve ever taken. I’ve been on it for 11 months now. The pros - my skin has cleared up a lot and I barely breakout. I haven’t gotten pregnant. I have lost weight 12 lbs, but I do workout and diet so that may be why I lost weight. The cons - I’ve had abnormal bleeding since I started the pill I thought it’d be gone by now considering “breakthrough bleeding” is very common but it hasn’t. I don’t think I’ve gone a full week without bleeding but it’s not like a heavy period. It’s more of spotting and I wear tampon so I don't have to deal with the blood. It’s very annoying and I’m debating on switching bc pills but I really don’t know how my body will react to an alternative brand. Moods - I don’t really get moody, I’m more blah and laid back. Actually my moods seem stable now, I used to PMS bad. I would recommend this pill minus the ANNOYING SPOTTING but I will give it a chance and hope it goes away completely."

Dolly November 11, 2018

"After reading all these negative reviews I suddenly don’t feel as alone. I’ve been on this birth control for 4 years and I truly think it it’s the root to my problems. On my placebo week I feel 10x better. Then I start back up and my stomach is terrible I’m nauseous 24/7, I’ve definitely gained 10+ pounds, exhausted all the time. I am calling my doctor to change me this week because I can’t do it anymore. I also am a very upbeat person and I feel as if this drug makes me have mood swings which is unlike me and then I get upset because I don’t know why I’m feeling so terrible. The bloating is so bad, my boobs get incredibly sore sometimes. I’ve taken pregnancy tests just because my symptoms mimicked pregnancy ones too closely. Not worth it"

Anonymous November 2, 2018

"I initially wanted an IUD, but went on the pill so I could manipulate my period so I wouldn’t be on my period for my honeymoon. I had horrible breakthrough bleeding my wedding day and whole honeymoon, so that whole point was moot. The absolute worst part is that I have had severe anxiety and paranoia, something I have never experienced before. I am constantly in fear of horrible things happening, it is so severe it is effecting my quality of life. I can barely walk outside by myself without going into full panic mode. This all started shortly after starting Aviane, there has been no other factor that would cause this. I have insane mood swings, extreme irritability, nausea, my chest went from a D to a DDD in the first month, I got cystic acne the first few months, and I still get bad cramps during my period. I made an appointment to switch to a copper IUD, I can’t handle the hormones."

Britt October 16, 2018

"I’m still on this pill, but every website said that after 2-3 months that the breakthrough bleeding would end, but I’m almost on month 6 and my bleeding just won’t stop! I go at least 2 weeks on my period now and I get so frustrated!!! I ran out of period panties!!!!!!! I’m getting super moody too because of the long periods. I’m on the pill to reduce my previously long periods, but now they’re even worse!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2018

"I gained 18 pounds on this birth control, I’ve always had a very fast metabolism then I got on this and that just screwed it up. I was on aviane for 6 months I finally had to just get off it, I got it because I have very heavy periods and horrible cramps and if anything, my birth control helped make it worse. I stuck it out because everyone said it would get better but I just got SICK OF IT!!!! I switched birth control very recently to zovia hopefully this works better for me! "

MC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 7, 2018

"I have been on Alesse for years and my drug plan changed and I was only allowed to get the generic Aviane 21. I’m on day 9 and I’ve gained 16 lbs and have bad headaches about 1 hour after I take it. I’m taking Advil ES every evening because of it. My weight has been the same for about 15 years maybe a fluctuation of a pound once in a while but 16 lbs in 9 days? My doctor I’ve seen for the entire time and she always does a weight and nothing has changed. This is a dangerous generic version and I stopped taking it tonight. Imagine I kept taking it for the entire month? I would have gained so much weight and had such strain on my heart. Horrible never take this. If I could have given it a zero I would have. Now I have to be off birth control for a while then go back on the Alesse."

RiRi (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2018

"Headaches, fatigue and slight dizziness/nausea for the first week of taking this... normal??? I feel pretty gross and am wondering if it’s worth it. Do the symptoms go away once your body gets used to it?"

Birthcontroluser (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2018

"I was put on Avaine which has been one of the worst experiences of my life!!! I was recently in the ER because I was experiencing shortness of breath every time I stood up, irregular heartbeats, and chills. I took it at night and by the second morning after being on it I cried SIX times in one day! I am a super happy, upbeat, friendly person who isn’t usually very emotional but this pill took me from being my usual optimistic self to a depressed mess that doesn’t want to get out of bed or talk to anyone! Its so bad that I’ve seriously been looking up ways to detox my body from this pill. I have no emotion other than depressed, angry, sad, annoyed, irritated or just overall blah. My breasts have been hurting every time I lay on my stomach and they were growing quickly. From here on out I would much rather deal with severe cramps, headaches and horrible periods then EVER take this pill again!!!! I do NOT recommend this pill to ANYONE! Ever!"

BethW (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2018

"I started taking aviane because my old birth control made me gain a lot of weight and my skin broke out. Aviane was great at first it actually made me lose about 20 pounds and cleared my skin however it did make me extremely depressed and I recently just got off of it after taking it for a year and suddenly when I stopped taking it my mood instantly got better and grey is no longer the color of my walls :)"

anon (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 23, 2018

"I was on this birth control for a few years. I had absolutely zero problems. No weight gain , no terrible cramps although I did have normal cramping. I did feel emotional at times but not anything that was affecting me majorly. I was switched to a different birth control and I’m not happy."

Kay (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 19, 2018