User Reviews for Estradiol Patch

Estradiol Patch has an average rating of 3.7 out of 10 from a total of 107 ratings on Drugs.com. 27% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 67% reported a negative effect.

Postmenopausal Symptoms
3.9
Oophorectomy
2.9
Hypoestrogenism
Primary Ovarian Failure
Prostate Cancer
Summary of Estradiol Patch reviews 3.7 107 reviews

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Reviews for Estradiol Patch

Annn · Taken for less than 1 month July 16, 2021

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I do not like the patch it is not effective.”

PB · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 14, 2021

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “From my understanding with the pharmacy's this is the generic for Climara transdermal patches. I am so allergic to this Mylan patch. Not all generics are the same!! This foam patch breaks my skin out with blisters, plus the headaches are unbearable. I am now having to pay out of pocket since my medicare insurance was billed for this brand that I cannot use. I have been on the Climara patch for years. Now on medicare and they only pay for generic. I did find the one made by Sandoz manufacturing and it works great. But in a small rural town and limited.”

Gina · Taken for less than 1 month July 9, 2021

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “After 5 years of night sweats, hot flashes all the time, and feeling like crying for no reason, I tried the Estradiol Patch! After only a few days, I feel like reborn! So happy. I take the Estradiol Transdermal System 0.0375 mg, made by Grove Pharmaceuticals . My Insurance paid in full. The patch is very small and clear, sticks very well to the skin, no problems at all after taking a shower. No irritation at all to my sensitive skin!”

Rosie B · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2021

For Primary Ovarian Failure: “I’m 60 and had my ovaries removed 11 months ago. So for 5 months I have been using a new bio identical biest estriol & estradiol prescription along with progesterone gel. My hot flashes were bad, my vaginal irritation was unbearable. I Changed to estradiol gel and progesterone gel. My Hot flashes got so severe and vaginal irritation was so unbearable. I Finally decided to try the estradiol 0.075 patch changing 2 times a week. In just 2 days saw incredible improvement in hot flashes, mood energy, motivation, emotional mood. It gave me relief from all my symptoms. The brand I was given is manufactured by Mylan, which was given absolutely horrible low reviews. I was scared it wasn’t going to work for me, but decided to try it anyway because I was so very miserable. Can’t tell you how much relief I am feeling being in the patch and taking the progesterone micronized 100 mg pill. It’s been a lifesaver for me.”

Khatgirl · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 7, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I've been using these patches for several years now. They work much better than the pills did. Once in a great while I would have one unstick a day or 2 early, so I would just replace it with the next one in the box. But due to the pandemic, I got a 3 month supply, and they are drastically not sticking (even after 4 days), and I am short 2 weeks before my insurance is willing to refill my script again. And my last one completely fell off this morning! Mylan needs to get a better adhesive for these. (I would give the drug a 10 rating if it stayed on)”

loribean February 19, 2016

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “this medication saved my life...I actually like the mylan better than the vivelle as far as the way I feel, the vivelle caused sinus problems and gassy bloat, the mylan product did not for me, however the mylan product doesn't stick as well or last as long....OVERALL: I love estrogen replacement and it is a TRAGEDY that women are suffering and their docs are not offering HRT when it is now proven that HRT prolongs life and has a protective influence on heart, bones and brain. I want to tell every woman out there do not be a hero, do not suffer, and do not be afraid. estrogen is good for you and can give you your life back. why do none of the women I talk to know this? crime!!”

Donna · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “The Sandoz brand estradiol patch is absolute garbage. It stops working for me after about 6-8 hours, and it's supposed to last 7 days. My gyn told me to prep skin with acetone ( !!! ) and to dry skin with hair dryer then apply patch and hold 10 seconds. Women deserve better than this rubbish - in all forms, from having to apply acetone to skin, to patches that don't live up to what they're supposed to do.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Used Sandoz brand for the first 8 estradiol patches. No problem. Pharmacy switched to Mylan, a horrible experience. I use twice a week. After the first 2 days, it starts to itch and turn red. Burning sensation by day 3 and its hard to remove and leaves deep red burn marks and continues to itch for a week. Marks remain on my body for over a month now. Not recommended!”

Donna · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Following up to my August 5, 2020 review of the Sandoz patch. My gyn switched me to a twice weekly patch - Mylan. This brand is worse than Sandoz. I applied a patch Friday night, and by Saturday evening I was sweating profusely. This is the second week on the Mylan patches. Again, women deserve better than being Guinea pigs for cheap drug companies.”

Jlowe24 May 23, 2021

For Primary Ovarian Failure: “Last month walmart pharmacy replaced my estradiol patch to "mylan" manufacturer. I was shocked to see how big this patch is, it's bigger than the mouth of a colostomy bag, as thick as a regular cotton rounds, and it's not sticky enough to stay for days. I shower twice a day, the patch is off after 2 showers, technically I have to change my patch everyday. The worse part is aside from the rashes l have now on my pelvic area because of this patch, l'm having hot flashes. It's not effective at all. I cannot do anything since my insurance already paid for 3 months of refill. And since I have to replace patch everyday, l already run out of it. Now, l have to endure more "hot flashes" for 2 more months. This is the worse patch l used since my hysterectomy. Well, thank you "Mylan" for making my life miserable for 3 months. I will rate negative on the effectiveness if it's available on the choices.”

Tiger · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 23, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I was put on the minivelle patch several years ago. It worked great. A year ago my pharmacy changed to this estradiol patch made by Mylan. I didn't notice until I used it. The patch does not stay on, but the worst part is what it does to my skin. I have horrid red patches that hurt and itch. And, they do not go away. Now I am having trouble finding a place to place the patch because I am covered in the scars from using this brand. I use CVS pharmacy. they told me they cannot get the patch which is why they switched to Mylan. I am contacting Noven to see what is going on. I see my doctor next month. I cannot continue using this product. It is horrible.”

Mert · Taken for 10 years or more January 22, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I’ve used lots of different patches over the years. My favorites have been the Vivelle Dot and the Sandoz patch. The Mylan estradiol patch is worthless - you’re supposed to wear it a week, but it only stays on lasts a day or two, it smells, and it causes skin irritation. Unfortunately, it’s the only one that I know that my insurance will pay for. I’ve been using Sandoz, but have to pay $65 a month for it. Does anybody have a suggestion on a patch estrogen that Priority Health pays for?”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I just started using the Mylan Estradiol patch after using the gel. I wanted to try something more user friendly than the gel though the gel worked well. I have had the same terrible skin reactions to the patch as I’ve seen commented on this site. I called Mylan to file a product complaint and plan to do so with the FDA as well. I will ask my doctor to write for another type of patch.”

Ruthie · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I used to use Climara. Great option. After I changes insurance I had to use a Mexican brand that worked really well. After I moved to another state I had to get a US brand. I was give Mylan Estradiol patches and after 2 days or less they fall off. I just feel I wasted my money and they are not cheap.”

doodlebuggi April 19, 2021

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Sandoz patch... I don't find it effective AT ALL. If I use the whole patch it's like someone gave me speed for about 4-5 hours it had a super racy heart, super wound up, then.. nothing. The speedy feeling has made me remove the patch. Cut the 0.5 patch in half. Doesn't feel like it's doing anything particularly? WHY DOES THE US NOT SELL ESTRADOT? It is MADE IN THE US! Oh, and what is it with the PERMANENT red marks????? Take a patch off and there's a red mark that is taking weeks and weeks to go way (if it does at all). It's like it's been tattooed to my skin. In 18 months of estradot NEVER had that problem. Never had a sticking problem. Or a tolerance problem, just an acquiring problem - which again, is completely idiotic.. the boxes I got were labeled right on them "made in the USA" but they're SOLD in Australia. Why can't I get a US made medication IN the actual US??????? And why does it cost me a third to buy it elsewhere than any of these US acquirable patches cost?????”

Lili · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2021

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “My biggest concern is that I am not getting the relief of post menopause even though I am using 0.1mg patch because the patch does not stay on your skin. I have been using the estradiol patch for many years. I was using Vivelle Dot until it was not covered by my insurance and switched to Mylan labs. It would be nice if these patches could stay on my skin to rate the effectiveness of the medication.”

Hrm2 · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2019

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Absolutely AWFUL!! I have been prescribed Estradiol Patches made by Sandoz and I am supposed to keep it on for a week. I maxed out at 6 1/2 HOURS ....they are truly worse than generic cartoon Band-Aids that are overpriced & don't stick! How in the world did these ever pass quality control from the FDA?!?! A total rip-off!! I clean with alcohol, let air dry, used tape and they still come off. ANY amount of perspiration will make them bubble right off. Sorry, but we all perspire EVERY SINGLE DAY! How was that little tidbit overlooked?”

CindiLou · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 19, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Sandoz Estradiol Patch does not stick. It does not peel, instead the entire patch comes loose at once. I get 2 days, maybe 3 days out of a patch. Do not accept Sandoz brand from your pharmacy, you will be wasting your money.”

Ali · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I have been on Vivelle Dot for 8 years. Love it and no issues at all. I cannot find it anymore and have checked several pharmacies. I had to switch to Mylan generic. Absolutely awful. It does not stick well and comes off. It leaves red marks on my skin and is itchy. I do not feel I am getting the same amount of hormones and my body can tell the difference. I have used it for 2 months. The patch is supposed to last 3 1/2 days and I am sometimes changing after 2 days. Not happy with this. I hope to find Vivelle again. I am looking for other options.”

Switching patches · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

For Oophorectomy: “I have been on the Mylan estradiol patch only since March 2020 and have patch-sized round burn like spots in every single place I’ve used this patch. The medication itself works fine for me but it hate the patch! It’s on the larger side and is thick and catches in clothing easily. If it gets wet at all it’ll peel right off. The material it’s made of holds moisture and halfway through the week it’s wet underneath no matter how long it has been since I’ve been in the water. I started putting tegaderm over it first thing but even still when I take it off it’s wet underneath and smells. It is unfortunately the only one my insurance will cover, however my dr is working in changing it to a combo patch. Hopefully insurance will approve it because I’m so tired of this one!”

SusyQ · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “This patch is so frustrating. It only stays on a couple of days because the material is it made of allows the water to soak in when you shower. Then the skin stays wet underneath and starts smelling sour. The adhesive on the edges irritate my skin and causes itching..What good is it if I can only get about 3 days out if it? I used to use a thinner patch made out of a different material and I never could tell I even had it on, but the company quit producing it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more October 5, 2019

“TEGADERM !!! - won’t help with Mylan generic because patch is horrible- worthless. Forever, I’ve had hormonal headaches. No headaches for 10 years while on estrogen patch. Headaches were back almost immediately after applying the junk Mylan patch. Sandoz generic seems to work ok. TRICK!!! I learned as hospital nurse. uses Tegaderm (clear/transparent film patches). Clean skin with alcohol and then rinse with warm water and dry, warm and dry skin slightly with blow dryer. Apply your patch and hold for 10-15 seconds. Then apply tegaderm patch over your estrogen patch. Amazon has all sizes and cheap. So worth it. It keeps your patch secure. My jeans don’t rub it off and swimming or bathtubs no problem. (submerged in hot water/jacuzzi does increase estrogen delivery with patch and it may not last as long - so I’ve been told).”

KDS17 October 8, 2020

For Oophorectomy: “After my hysterectomy, I was having post-menopausal symptoms. My gynecologist mentioned options and I chose the transdermal patch. Initially, I used Climara because the generics were not on the market. Climara was great. Eventually, I was switched to Sandoz-manufactured patch which also worked great. This year, my prescription was filled with the Mylan-manufactured patch and those patches just fall off. It is ridiculous -- a HUGE waste of money plus all of the symptoms returned. So, I asked my pharmacy if they could get the Sandoz brand but it was on backorder until I believe this month (Nov. 2020). They recommended I check with other pharmacy chains so I did. I eventually found a pharmacy with Sandoz patches in stock. Each pharmacy that did not have the Sandoz brand told me it was on backorder. So I was lucky to find a pharmacy that had the Sandoz brand available. As soon as I started wearing their patch again, my symptoms vanished. I do intend to report the Mylan brand to the FDA.”

June · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 23, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I had the Sandoz patch and it was great - a nice, thin patch that I forget is there except that I feel much better. The next month, I got the Mylan patch that is covered by my provider. It is thicker, and catches just a little bit on the edges. More importantly, it leaves red marks underneath upon removing it, and small marks that look like burns around the edge. I've also seemed to have some itching around the patch while it is one. I will be switching back to Sandoz.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 22, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “The Estradiol Patch causes redness, severe itching and burning. I have marks that are taking months to heal. I have had other brands that do not cause this reaction. I am having a hard time getting a brand other than Mylan from my pharmacy.”

Happycat June 12, 2019

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “MYLAN ESTRADIOL PATCH 1.0 seems to Be ineffective! Suffering from menopausal symptoms due to a complete hysterectomy Booted off the good stuff ... MINIVELLE DOT ❤️. Due to change of insurance even though I have full coverage! Insurance won’t Pay the $450 cost for 3 month supply . I wonder what’s even on the MYLAN ESTRADIOL PATCH is it even real ?”

Annoyed June 2, 2020

For Oophorectomy: “I had a hysterectomy/bilateral oophorectomy in February 2019. Immediately after surgery I had hot flashes and high blood pressure. I was put on Climara and everything was better. My employer changed insurance providers 1/2020 and they no longer covered Climara. They substituted Sandoz. I started Sandoz in March 2020 after Climara ran out. I noticed right away that the Sandoz patches do not stick. After being on them a few weeks, I’ve had a 20lb weight gain, pitting edema in my legs, hot flashes, and headaches. Went to my Dr and all bloodwork was normal. Thyroid function is ok. The problem is the Sandoz patches. They are faulty. They curl even under hydrocolloid dressings. The inconsistent hormone level is wrecking havoc on my body. I filed a complaint with Sandoz. I now have to pay $150 for climara instead of the $25 for Sandoz. If Sandoz isn’t working for you, file a grievance with the company. They are putting out an inferior product. I’m also filing a complaint with the FDA.”

Majestic · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 30, 2019

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I have used the estradiol patch but will probably have to change to something else. I initially did fine and was happy with the patch. However, this PAST month something has changed. The patch areas have become itchy, red, and irritated. I called my healthcare provider...she is also on the same patch and has experienced the same issue this PAST month. Obviously, the Mylan company has changed something...adhesive? Something that isn’t working. I make a call to customer service and they didn’t seem to concerned. Houston...we have a problem. Mylan...fess us to what changes you made and fix it!”