User Reviews for Nexium

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Nexium.

Nexium Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 135 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Nexium to treat GERD

"I have been using Nexium for 10 years but not on daily basis, A 40mg would last me for 4 days before getting the symptoms again. It felt great and still feels great to get rid of that awful acidity. Causes for my GERD are eating habits, type of food (spicy, oily, sour, tea, sweets) also smoking is a major contributor. I couldn't give up on my habits and use Nexium to avoid acidity. Recently there's been strong debates against proton pump inhibitors (PPI) which Nexium is part of. Along with all the reviews against it and how it reduces bone density. A recent study says it can result in early death as PPI alters genes behavior. My advice, the full extent of side effects still not fully known avoid if you can."

mms3110gmail.com (taken for 10 years or more) July 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was having a hard time having an appetite and getting full fast. It has helped me now eating better, I still have my IBS attacks with this pill or without it. Does help with acid reflux severe"

averagegirlychick (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken other reflux medicine. My gasteroenterologist suggested I try this one. This was a colossal mistake. I'll try to tell you what happened yesterday and you can judge for yourself. So I woke up the next day after taking it the previous night and felt awful. I felt like I was going crazy and my brain was a little bit messed up. I couldn't think straight. I felt like I wanted to crawl out of my skin. My fingertips were hurting. My muscles were aching. I had a hard time talking. The side effects were genuinely horrible, mentally and physically. It was one of the worst days I've had in a long time. I didn't take it after I went to bed and the next day and l woke up feeling fine. Avoid this drug."

For2nut (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had some absolutely crazy bad stomach pains that felt like I was having a heart attack and was hospitalized a couple of times in the lead up to trying this drug. Have always had reflux but always kind of ignored it. Sometimes I'd wake up choking as I'd refluxed into my lungs while asleep. First i started this drug as prescribed taking 40mg every day and it instantly took away problems. But being a strong believer in not taking drugs if possible I stopped taking it every day. Now I only take it when I actually feel burning which might only be once or twice a month. And within minutes a feel better. Not saying to follow my lead but this works for me. I think using this drug as I am and getting the relief I'm getting is absolutely wonderful."

Strapping April 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works really well with no side effects"

NexIAM (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking for first time stared 6 days ago and it is not helping and seems to be making condition worse. Lots of swallowing, stomach noises, dry cough, and lack of energy. Disappointed. Is it safe to just discontinue use?"

Marie Marie Marie December 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have a severe acid reflux and my doctor recommended Nexium. I took it only 5 days and experienced no difference whatsoever. Absolutely no change. I still have severe acids and to be honest the drug seemed to make my symptoms worse. As well I am 100% sure it interacts with antidepressants and lowers their effectiveness! So if you are taking SSRI, please be aware!"

Bbwasil (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Nexium for all of three days. In that time I found it to be extremely effective in managing my reflux/stomach symptoms. However, within a day I noticed severe anxiety surfacing. I take Aropax (paroxetine) for depression and this is not on the list of medications that is counterindicative. I do note that being magnesium deficient is but my doctor would not care enough to know that I have always had this deficiency. I do not normally suffer from headaches but began to have gentle pains in my head, getting worse over the time. The head pain and anxiety lasted as long as the effect on my stomach which was a number of days after I stopped taking the medication."

CherrieR (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this for GERD and to heal my esophagus for an upper GI. I was only on it for a few weeks before i was hit out of nowhere with crippling stomach cramps and diarrhea that lasted for hours. My hands were shaky and would go numb which they had never done before. This happened twice, each a week apart before we discovered the pill was behind it. Once i stopped taking it every symptom stopped, the shakiness and numbness, cramping and diarrhea all stopped. This pill had no effect on my GERD either it just created misery for me, I still do not know why I got such a reaction from this pill."

Lila2015 September 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Heartburn has interfered with my life for years and I can now honestly say Nexium has transformed my life. What an astounding difference - I could not believe it. My daughter recommended I try it, to say I was sceptical is an understatement. I think this is a wonder pill. No more waking in the night and taking antacid liquids or tablets. No more popping antacid tablets numerous times a day. What a fantastic relief. Brilliant really isn't strong enough to explain the difference."

Bobbles1 (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I can only speak FOR Nexium. It has literally changed my life for the better. I was fighting with GERD now for the past three years of my life. Terrible years, constant heartburn, increasing chest pains, I would wake up in the middle of the night and have my lungs full of acid. Then I could not lay back down because the acid taste would just make me even sicker. I was taking all kinds of acid blockers and nothing really worked. Then I finally tried Nexium and from day one it has changed EVERYTHING for the better. My heartburn is gone, completely. No more reflux, heartburn, chest pains, nothing. It is amazing. I had only slight side effects on day 2 but they went away and now I am just perfectly well. Amazing. Thank you!!"

PFP (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wake up people. Google Nexium deaths for a real eye opener. I admit I took Nexium too long, over a year. The bad side effects came along gradually, and worsened as time went on. That is the only daily pharmaceutical drug I took. I did take vitamins frequently. First, pressure to go to the bathroom was noticed. I was checked for a UTI which was negative. I developed screaming migraine headaches which at 64 I had never had. When acute mouth dryness occurred, I thought I was diabetic for sure. I developed both dull pain in the kidney areas, and an aching under the shoulder blades. Bowel movements were slow, and difficult. I developed puffy spots under the eyes, and several doctors told me it was allergies which was frustrating. It was Nexium."

AndeA April 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"other meds had moderate success in treating my symptoms, Nexium has been 100% effective for me."

joe224 February 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 40mg of Nexium twice a day for about a year. Prior to that I was taking a single 40mg dose per day, however I began to have more problems with acid reflux. I began to lose my voice and had frequent chest pains. The doctor doubled my dose and it seems to have helped. No more chest pains and my voice is normal again. I did everything the doctor suggested, I don't eat or drink things that would make it worse. I elevated my bed, stopped drinking coffee, etc. Now seeing reports on television how taking Nexium for long periods can increase the risk of heart attacks, heart failure, and now dementia, my concern level is high. I'm just wondering what other people have done to help cut back on Nexium. thank you."

Douglas Silverado February 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have never in my life felt so horrible than what I do now. I have taken this med for 4 days , I have been nauseous everyday, diarrhea and my stomach hurts gas etc... I can not believe this med would make me feel this way when it is supposed to help. Maybe some people do well on it but I can not do this anymore. I feel worse than what I did when I started it. I will just go back to taking my generic Famotidine everyday. It works and works right away. I don't even care at this point that Famotidine doesn't heal, it just mask the symptoms. I don't care! I just know no more Nexium for me . It can all burn!! Like the feeling I have in my stomach right now from taking it. Thanks for letting me give my honest review. G'Day"

Ash d January 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug has been more effective than Axid,, Acefix and Prilosec"

Palsey October 30, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took one dose and 30 minutes later I was in real trouble! Rash, itching, tachycardia, abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, chills, etc."

Jessie Ann September 24, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Nexium for several years and it works well for me. However, my last bone density test showed some bone loss. My blood tests revealed low vitamin D, now taking supplements. This morning my Dr.'s office called and said I need to come off Nexium, extended use can cause Reflux Acidity that worsens the condition. Waiting to hear what he recommends. Will be coming off Nexium. "

TommieT September 1, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Nexium has been very effective in resolving my Acid Reflux. I have been taking the medication for over five years, and now have to stop the medication. My bone density test showed third statistical deviation (3T) which reports that I have osteoporosis. I have been taking calcium and supplements with exercise for almost all my life, and it's hard to believe I have this disease. Nexium blocks the absorption by the body, thus the problem."

AMBIE3 July 30, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have now been using Nexium 24 for only 4 days but I am seeing the effects already! I have been able to enjoy many foods I have had to avoid in the past with little to no burn. I absolutely have hope that Nexium is the answer to all my problems and that in time it will eliminate the problems all together. I was lucky enough to receive my Nexium free from a mission and now I'm a dedicated customer. Thank you so much for this awesome product!"

AshleyHarris1987 July 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Although it seems to work for my mother, for me I had weird symptoms. I was only on the generic brand for 5 days before I had to stop taking the pills. I did not notice any difference to my actual reflux, but apparently it heals your esophagus and reduces the amount of acid. My symptoms included: Complete exhaustion even though I was getting the same amount of sleep and doing the same things during the day as before, I constantly had a dull ache in my stomach, I had a muscle spasm in my left arm for 2 days straight, constipation, feeling sick and completely unmotivated to do anything, I lost my appetite and hardly ate at all, I was easily hurting myself from barely moving (mostly in my back), extremely weak, headache, and swollen lips"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This works amazing. I have been on it for about 20 years. My GERD is gone, but all my bones shattered when I fell of bed. This drug makes your bones brittle like uncooked ziti."

Ralph E Cakes July 18, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Nexium after 4 months of trying every other prescription med out there, following 4 months of severe Gerd/ silent reflux symptoms. Within the first 2 days of taking Nexium the lump feeling in my throat started to go away. I am taking 40 mg of the TEVA generic Nexium and so far I feel way better. Hopefully it lasts. I was on Dexilant before 60mg once a day and it gave me about 50% symptom relief. Nexium is the best PPI I have tried for sure and I would recommend to anyone."

Anonymous June 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After weeks medication notice severe mood change, very irritable."

rawls May 21, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered severe pain from GERD that I had to be hospitalized. The next day I bought the Nexium 24hr, not because I saw it was the top selling brand at Walmart, but because my mom said to get Prilosec lol. Anyway, within minutes the pain from my GERD disappeared. One con I've had so far though. The medicine states 24hrs, for me it's roughly 18-20 hrs and I start feeling the acid again. So keep that in mind."

Paul Bu. March 8, 2015