User Reviews for Esomeprazole (Page 3)

Also known as: Nexium, Nexium 24HR, Nexium IV

Esomeprazole has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 197 ratings on Drugs.com. 59% of those users who reviewed Esomeprazole reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

NSAID-Induced Gastric Ulcer 10.0
Barrett's Esophagus 8.4
Summary of Esomeprazole reviews 6.7 197 reviews

Reviews for Esomeprazole

Pinky M September 13, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “in 2014 I was diagnosed with H. Pylori which was eradicated successfully. 2019 diagnosed with chronic gastritis I was prescribed Nexium 40gm for the 1st month and 20gm for 5 months. It worked so well that I started eating things I was not able to eat before. I was so happy until I developed side effects that I never thought were from nexium. They were stomach ache, diarrhea, constant nausea feeling, pain on my back and between shoulder blades, head ache that would come on from little sound as someone coughing, extreme fatigue. When my periods started I had nightmare cramping, I was vomiting, runny tummy all day, and excruciating pain. I couldn't sit, lie down or walk. I was literally rolling on the floor with pain and I never suffered from period pains before. I decided to go off it. I am on my first day the stomach pain and the shoulder pain subsided, the fatigue almost completely gone. I had little diarrhea and tummy ache. I am hoping all this will be gone and will go back to normal. PPIs are a bitter sweet pills”

Bry · Taken for less than 1 month August 24, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I had two months of daily awful heartburn. I wasn't eating the best and I was drinking alcohol. Well, that part didn't stop, but I did take Nexium. It was amazing. During the 14 days I lightened my diet but still ate the things I enjoyed. I'm 35, and I think this is my first "medication" review, lol.”

Beck · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2019

For GERD: “I thought nexium was my cure all. So to treat ulcers my doctor moved me to a prescription strength. One week after taking, I had severe abdominal pains, back and neck pain, headache, tender scalp and painful feet. Not to mention muscle spasms throughout my body. I just had my blood work done, and after this reaction, we did the blood work again. My c reactive protein was 31 (always under 1). Yikes! I described the pain in my stomach as a pain jumping from organ to organ like being kicked and stepped on and every now and then stabbed with a jolt of voltage. It scared the hell out of me. Even if you don't have a reaction, I wouldn't stay on this long.”

Hsp · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 18, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: “When I first started taking nexium for Barrett’s esophagus everything seemed fine. Then after having a gastric bleed, which they found cancer cells, I went through 6 weeks of radiation and chemo treatments. The good news is the cancers gone. But during that time the doctor doubled my dose of nexium to 80 mg. I take it as 40mg twice a day. So after 6 months of nexium treatment, I mysteriously had a spine fracture, recurrent sinus infections, severe stomach pain and inflammation. I couldn’t figure out what was happening, so I researched nexium and found it can weaken the bones and cause spine fractures, also contribute to stomach distress and sinus headaches and so many others things it’s hard to even imagine. Now I know why the FDA has put out so many warnings about this drug. My question is why don’t they ban it. I’m seeing my doctor about getting off this horrible drug”

Mia August 14, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I had gastritis and was put on NEXIUM. After 2 months, still lot of pain due to diary, sugar etc.(tasty foods) So I assumed that I still have gastritis! Soon after I had a gastroscopy, and they found nothing. The doctor's msdiagnosed me with IBS. So I took matters into my own hands. So I read online about the interaction nexium could be causing. I hypothesised that perhaps this pain from foods is because of LOW ACIDITY because proton pumps REDUCE ACIDITY. It made sense! How can I eat chunky foods, when my body does not have enough juices in my body to break it down due to NEXIUM! So, I got off nexium the next morning, felt BURNING sensation (takes time for your stomach to adjust). Instead of Nexium, I reached for bicarbonate soda and water. The acidity went away. I reached for the milk and tomato sauce, and was able to drink and digest is like a boss! I could not believe what I was experiencing! The problem was nexium! FACT: Nexium causes hypersensitivity to the stomach to some people.”

NatalieR · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I’ve been suffering from GERD since January. After being in hospital I was prescribed with 40mg Nexium. It worked, however I had terrible side effects such as severe fatigue, muscle weakness and mild hallucinations because of exhaustion. I then decided to take the natural road which helped to a point, however I was still suffering quite intensely. A month ago I decided to succumb to my fear of trying the OTC Nexium. By day 4 I was better, by week two I was clear of all of my symptoms. I feel great. Happy, energetic and grateful. Nothing more painful that watching your friends enjoy foods and drinks you can’t eat. I never thought the pain would end and I’m so happy that I’m well again. I’m still on a low acidic diet because my aim is to come of the medication. I still think it’s important to find the root cause of your GERD and learn natural ways to heal your body. For now Nexium has saved me.”

Dilly July 21, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Erosive Esophagitis: “Nexium has been a life saver for me, I have been taking it for over 20 years and it has allowed me to eat normally and get a good nights sleep each night”

Sis · Taken for 10 years or more July 21, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: “I was prescribed nexium 40mg for 30 years ago and 9 years ago ranitidine to be used in conjunction nexium morning and ranitidine 40 mg at night. When Aust gov took Nexium off PBS I was prescribed Salpraz 40 mg. I have been taking this in conjunction with ranitidine for two weeks and have had severe reflux 4 or 5 times and moderate reflux about 7 times, in the past I had only suffered moderate reflux once or twice a month. I am a pensioner and can not afford to buy nexium over the counter”

Cat · Taken for 10 years or more July 20, 2019

For GERD: “I started taking Nexium (prescription 40 mg, 1X-daily) in my late 20's for recurring indigestion (Acid Reflux) after an endoscopy. I've been taking it every day now for 30-years.It has been a Godsend for me. I can't eat hardly anything with out it. Even though I've had endoscopies about every 5 years, I'm concerned, as in the past 4 years I've been diagnosed with seborrhea, rosacea, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). I also have a horrible, chronic, nasty cough that I've had for as long as I can remember (no reason). Never smoked, don't drink & even though I rarely have an appetite, am overweight (was a size 4-6 my entire life until I became postmenopausal at 50). I also have some NEW tummy issues. I made an appointment with an endocrinologist TODAY.”

Lizzard Lou · Taken for 10 years or more June 25, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I have been on nexium many years first 40mg and for a long time 20 mg . It controls the reflux but in spite of working on my diet if I go off of it for a few days I get very bad diarrhea and then might start to throw up stomach acid . Even tapering off might not work. I was originally diagnosed with a hiatial hernia. ”

Bill · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 8, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “This drug is dangerous. I was given an 8 month prescription for acid reflux. At first I didn't notice any bad side effects, but after about 3 months things have really deteriorated. At first I thought I was tired from pushing myself hard with my work, and workout routine. But then a started feeling nauseous and it persisted for three days, then I began having severe joint pains to the point where I could hardly walk. Also feeling of panic, insomnia, and blood when I go to the toilet. But the worst has been MY HAIR FALLING OUT!!! I thought I was imagining it at first, but now my whole head has gone flaky/scabbing and I've lost about a third of my hair. I'm going straight to my doctor on Monday for a blood test. Current I'm bed ridden. Stay well away from this medication it's not worth the risks.”

anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 6, 2019

Nexium 24HR (esomeprazole): “Taking Nexium 24 everyday has helped me greatly. The foods that normally give me heartburn I can now consume. I've had no side effects either.”

Kaydee · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I took one Nexium and had some frightening neurological or central nervous system response. I was trembling uncontrollably, broke out in a cold sweat, was weak, and nauseous. It terrified me! The only other time I have had a reaction like this was to a flu shot. I will never take either, again!”

Toby · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 6, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: “Diagnosed w/ Barrett's 10 months ago and on 20 mg Nexium once daily per MD. Barrett's less than 1 cm. Have changed to plant based diet. Some constipation issues but can be tolerated. Also have osteopenia and just finished Fosamax. Next endoscopy in August. Hopefully Nexium dosage is sufficient. Consuming protein, potassium, vit D & K, calcium plus exercise for my bones so I hope this helps.”

Koppie · Taken for 10 years or more February 2, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: “Been on Nexium 40mg per day for 14 yrs. No side effects and reflux is well controlled”

J · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2019

Nexium 24HR (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I was taking pantoprazole in October and it help with the acid reflux . After taking for a week start having burning in my arm, shoulder, legs, stomach. But like a crazy person I kept taking it. Start having anxiety and I started losing weight - 18 pounds within one months. But eventually I got myself off of it and start taking taking nexium and it did not work either, I started lose patches of my hair. I stated research both medications and they both were in the worst pill list. I’m now taking Zantac 150 hopefully this will work.”

YL · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2018

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “My doctor prescribe Nexium 40mg after endoscopy result that I've hiatus hinea and gastritis. The next day work up feeling terrible, stomach discomfort burping the whole time. I don't even have this symptoms before taking Nexium. By evening I felt my whole body so weak, can't sleep , anxiety, heart palpitation. Next morning, were slightly better but because I did not know it was the effect of the medicine I continue to take. By evening I felt like dying, the next morning admitted to hospital for IV drip . Stay a night and the doctor said which probably could be viral infection. But after discharge , I took Nexium again. True enough the whole attack happen again. I did not take today, but the side effect is still there. Hopefully it will go off soon. Not bearable. This drugs done more damage to me and not helping at all.”

FrustratedGal · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 1, 2018

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “Hi..So I was taking Nexium 40 mg. I took it for a months . It didn't really work. I kept taking it thinking that maybe it takes time , but all I can say is it made my Anxiety worse! Every morning my ears were ringing so loud & my head felt fuzzy. I hated that feeling! I Would feel chest pains as well. My GI Dr. Said that was from heartburn, but honestly I knew it was the Nexium. I still keep taking it like a dummy because people I knew had a great experience with this Med... In the end I threw them away. Everyone is different & this for me was just toxic. Try it out & see how it goes. It works for some people :)”

Mike F · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 16, 2018

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I thought the Nexium Clear Minis would be a good choice since they're so small they should be very easy to swallow. Today I think I aspirated the capsule as I took it early this morning and coughed it up finally this evening. In the windpipe it didn't dissolve like it would in the esophagus and stomach so it was partially intact. Scary and relieved that it didn't go further into my lungs!!!”

Abba777 November 4, 2018

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I just want to say that if you have GERD and have a history of aspiration pneumonia, Do Not replace rxnexium 40MG with the OTC 24hr Nexium. They Are Not The same, after my mother wanted to try the otc Nexium for a few months, she developed Aspiration pneumonia after not having it for many years (10), she passed away”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 28, 2018

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “Absolutely awful drug.... I took it for 3 days.. yes it worked by removing the incessant burning...However...the side effects were horrific and take quite some time to get rid of... day 4 chest pain out of the blue lasting for several minutes ended up in the emergency room..ecg normal...lethargy ,anxiety, terrible stomach cramps, diarrhoea, back pain, limb weakness, neck pain and cramps, swaying.... this drug is SO toxic....it took a week or two for it to all subside.”

shella October 21, 2018

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: “Will distroy your kidneys. Do not take this drug is poison . You have a 96 percent chance of kidney failure if you take this drug. Time for a civil lawsuit.”

Geno September 29, 2018

For Gastric Ulcer Prophylaxis: “It does not work and is not the same as Nexium brand . Big difference”

Swan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 5, 2018

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I was put on nexium 40 mg daily 8 months ago for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). It has nearly killed me. I thought I was developing MS as every muscle twitches and spasms, my skin itches, I have involuntary movements and worst of all I've got such an acutely dry mouth that I can no longer even eat. I've gone from a healthy person with GERD to an invalid. Finally my now critical illness has been found to be a reaction to the build up of nexium in my body over 8 months. I've been told to stop it immediately. Now I can no longer take any PPI and have such increased acid flow that I don't know what will become of me. How come this killer drug doesn't come with a strong warning? And why don't the doctors warn you?”

Tengo · Taken for 10 years or more June 6, 2018

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Erosive Esophagitis: “I started taking Omeprazole 20mg 25 years ago, then continue with esomeprazole and Nexium, no stop, I can’t quit, heartburn is coming back immediately even taking only water, no food. With Nexium, I’m able to eat almost all food without heartburn. Regardless of potential side effect, the doctor advised not to try to quit. My acid reflux is not treatable but Nexium perfectly works work me. No side effects or discomfort >20 years of my experience”